Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/5/2001 4:48:00 AM   
Fabs

New features sound great, can't wait to try them out. Thank you for yet another improvement to my favorite game. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 61
- 3/5/2001 5:35:00 AM   
kao16

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: Ohhh we tried and tried.... the smoke being allowed in Opfire can not be done ..... sorry.
But it will of course be available in CL????

Post #: 62
- 3/5/2001 10:11:00 AM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

Dear Matrix Team, I would like to adress a concern which has been lurking in my mind for a while now, and which is steadily growing as I read more and more posts in this forum: Are you going to abandon SPWAW? I am aware of the quandary you are in now. Everybody has to live and to devote major resources of a company to keep a free product updated is simply not commercially viable. To solve this problem, (I think) you are creating a new game, Combat Leader, that would be your intellectual property and that could be sold, thereby continuing your passion for wargaming and enabling you to prosper (or at least survive) financially. The problem is: I am not interested in Combat Leader. I am not interested in it not because I think that CL is a bad product, but simply because SPWAW is an outstanding product that I enjoy playing very much, and which has been getting better and better thanks to your efforts. I do not feel like I am throwing a tantrum here (and if I am, please forgive me) but Steel Panthers has been around for more than 6 years, which for a computer game is an outstanding longevity. This resilience is due to the fact that players have always felt the enormous potential of this program, so much so that an impressive amount of people has been willing to pour an incredible amount of effort, FOR FREE, just to get it to perform as they (and we, the users) dreamed. The game has also grown thanks to the labor of many "amateurs"(for want of a better word) who, with one scenario here, one campaign there, a few graphics, a website, have added to SPWAW a body of work which makes the game much greater than the program itself. Many of these amateurs started out with their own enthusiasm and ended up being "pros" at the game (I am thinking of people like Mr Wilder, for example). Should we switch to another game, such as CL, this body of work would disappear, creating a sense of loss not only for the people who have contributed to it, but also for all of us who have enjoyed their efforts. I think I am not the only one who is uneasy. I think you (the Matrix Team) also feel it in the public, through remarks like: "I know you guys hate it when I say that!" when referring to a feature which cannot be included in SPWAW but would appear in CL. I believe that there is a certain passive resistance in the community to the concept of CL vs. SPWAW, mainly due to the reasons I have mentioned above. The direction you are taking now with Mega-Campaigns that will be sold, thereby finally earning you a financial reward for all your hard work, is to be commended. It is my hope that the monetary gain you get from these campaigns will keep you interested in SPWAW and will enable you to keep adding to the seemingly endless list of features we all clamour for everytime someone posts a "Wish List" on the forum. Barring that, if you really have to abandon SPWAW, you will have to transfer all the good things that made SPWAW work to CL, as well as eliminating its (few) weaknesses. A difficult proposition indeed, I sincerely hope it will not come to that. Best Regards, Christophe

Post #: 63
- 3/5/2001 10:20:00 AM   
Graf Speer

{quote]I think most of us would prefer a CD over having to slog through another 300+ MB download.[/quote] Not to mention a simple efficient means of reinstalling the entire game without having to go through the sundry overwrites I look forward to the CD! Albert

Post #: 64
- 3/5/2001 10:41:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Guys, I unfortunately have a feeling that the MEGA-campaigns will be available in the public domain as soon as you make the CD available. I'll buy a copy, out of the sake of loyalty to you, BUT I don't expect that you'll see much in the way of a return on this. You guys probably expect this, too, but I also know that the true hardcore fan base will honor their commitments.

Post #: 65
- 3/5/2001 11:01:00 AM   
zombie

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: To clarify, - "the game" is not for sale...the Mega-Campaigns are what we are selling, and likely a copy of all three of our free games will be included, since there is space on the CD... SPWaW version 5 is and will remain free for the downlaod. You may also copy THE GAME and distribute it, but you MAY NOT COPY AND DISTRIBUTE THE MEGA-CAMPAIGNS. If you want to buy 4 copies and give them out that is fine, or have your friends reimburse you, but PLEASE DON'T give out the games we sell!!
Actuallu dude, it was my intention to order one copy of the game, send you guys $80 bucks for it and share it only with the games who would of given me their 20 bucks apeiece, i though it would save you on the cost of the cds, shipping etc. I was not stating that I was or anybody esle should pirate the game. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Post #: 66
- 3/5/2001 4:25:00 PM   
Silvarius

I've just had a look at the improvements planned for 5.0, and the least I can say, is that I am VERY impressed. That is a fantastic work, and I thank the whole Matrix team heartily. One thing I would like to see added is the ability for a human player to deny the forced "end of battle" before the normal end in certain circomptances. This question has already been discussed in several threads. Perhaps as a preference ? Then, I would like to urge you to carefully plan the logistics of the CD selling. Creating games and sending goods are 2 differents jobs, and I would not like to see Matrix spoil its very good work because of bad logistic. I am especially a bit anxious about how you will send those CDs to Europe or other far countries. For your information, its an actual hell to get a copy of "Combat Mission" in France at the moment. At last, I would say that I am a bit sad to read that some of us are not interested in "Combat Leader" even before having tested the game. I love SPWAW, but, when I see the kind of work you've done with an already existing game, I can only be VERY eager to test a game that you will have designed from A to Z. Long life to Matrix games ... Silvarius.

Post #: 67
- 3/5/2001 8:19:00 PM   
ruxius

quote:

Originally posted by Silvarius : 1)ability for a human player to deny the forced "end of battle" before the normal end in certain circomptances. 2)Then, I would like to urge you to carefully plan the logistics of the CD selling. how you will send those CDs to Europe or other far countries. 3)At last, I would say that I am a bit sad to read that some of us are not interested in "Combat Leader" even before having tested the game. a game that you will have designed from A to Z.
Three points from Sivarius very interesting ! 1)Actually this is quite possible in Advance or Assault playing..if you like to clear all enemy's crews spread all over the battlefield without being stopped from the decisive victory screen you have to leave some flags not conquered .so you gain turns and your troops killing enemy survivors (getting more experience for the campaign )... when you think that is over you simply finish to go through objective flags.. This doesn't work if you are playing Delay or Defend so should be better that the forced end of a battle is prompted . 2) I agree wih his worries cause I live in Italy..I hope for a pre-planned ordering subscription for us that anticipates the weeks needed for CD-mailing time..as regards the efficiency about this mail shipping I would secure Sivarius and others : I received an earlier version of SPWAW from US (EZCD company) without problems and I sent them dollars by mail-packet..I trusted them and they hadbeen honest ! 3)well SPWAW can never be abandoned by their creators!!!..I am sure about this..it's a question of bloodhood ! simply it will have a period of long enjoyment by us ..as it is necessary I suppose..they told us they still will look at bugs and this is what SPWAW needs..a time to be understood and lived in all its parts ! As regards Christophe , I think CL is beeing designed by Matrix as a sort of maturity evolution of SPWAW not as a whole new thing ...as a programmer well knows , sometimes things are to be re-written in a wider mode in order to be more opened to flexibility..there is a level of complessity that raise exponentially if you have to keep a starting point alive if it is not prepared to be extended..so I think CL should be appreciated as it wants to be an offspring of SPWAW that goes beyond SPWAW. I trust in CL because I saw here how much David , Paul and Bill , Figmo ,Warhorse and all the others cared about our suggestions Many things should have been abandoned because they were not convertible into SPWAW engine cause to SPWAW code limits... So starting from SPWAW and evoluting to CL should be considered a daring ( 'daring' should mean 'courageous' I hope.. :-)) ) test for them.. In addition to this they also have an economical payback to their efforts that is obvious needed and no more has to be added about this So I would like people will help them in the line of events Matrix decided to follow when she first started to work to SP3 ! Sincerely Francesco !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 68
- 3/5/2001 9:24:00 PM   
Charles22

Paul Vebber: Alright, alright, it's mega-campaigns and not V.5 we're paying for, but at least at this time I value a hard copy cd of SPWAW more than I do something that would be useless without a copy of SPWAW, so please forgive my little departure from contractual reality.

Post #: 69
- 3/5/2001 10:21:00 PM   
David F. Wall

Well, it all looks great. Can anyone comment on what differentiates the MegaCampaign from something you might edit yourself, aside from size? The comment about the editor in the list of new features is intriguing. DFW

Post #: 70
- 3/5/2001 10:38:00 PM   
Larry Holt

Great, I stay home sick on Friday and look what I miss! Great job Matrix!! I'm sorry to hear that smoke dischargers can't be worked into op fire but that's just the way life, err code is sometimes. Have you looked at the way some infantry can go through barbed wire without delay? ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 71
- 3/5/2001 11:44:00 PM   
David Heath

Hi Guys As always any bugs found we will try to fix. We do not want to stop all work on this but that is what it may come down to. Mega Campaigns are a way for us to pay our programmers. Bottom line is the two Mega Campaigns sales will show us how time and effort we can put into these projects and which way we need to go. We do not want to drop this and we are not. We all love this game. The fact is we need to support our programmers. So lets just wait and see. Matrix has been there for the gamers and we will do our best never to let you down. David Heath

Post #: 72
- 3/6/2001 7:57:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

My comments were not meant to imply that anyone was advocating piricy, just that to reiterate that we are impacted to a much higher degree than most companies by piracy do the the small size of the market. While its true that CD's are easily copied, that true of the efforts of BTS, Schwerepunt, Shrapnel and other small wargame companies. If we felt that there was no profit in it then we would not have started the company. If its true that the wargaming community will just pirate games amongst themselves and not pay, then its just a matter of time before wargaming is dead. I simply want to make sure everyone understands that while we have encouraged sharing of SPWaW, if you value our commitment to SP:WaW in the future, then pirating the Mega Camapign is a sure way to make sure we are not able to provide the sort of support to SPWaW in the future. Sorry if that comes of preachy or redundant, but we want tere to be no mistake about what we consider "free" and what is "for sale".

Post #: 73
- 3/6/2001 9:17:00 AM   
rfox

If anyone has a chance to answer some of the questions that have been asked thus far about version 5.0, it would be much appreciated. My specific questions, as stated above, relate to: a.) Graphics updates b.) Modifications of the AI in choosing tanks during the long campaign. Thanks! ------------------ Rob

Rob

Post #: 74
- 3/6/2001 10:43:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

No we don't have any screenshots, most are added types of buildings, and a few other things. I don't know the specifics of what was changed in the AI beyond what the notes say. In general it seems to pick a more balanced force I just set up an 10000 pt German vs POland game and the poles had 11 infantry Cos, 6 btty of 75mm how support, 4 37mm AT btty, 1 Tank CO and 2 Armored Car plts

Post #: 75
- 3/6/2001 12:24:00 PM   
David Heath

Mike just did some fine tuning on the AI Picks and how it handles some of its units during play. The bottom line is we hope it will kick your butt or at least surprise you a little more. David

Post #: 76
- 3/7/2001 8:46:00 AM   
rfox

Great, thank you guys! I look forward to the new release! (and the Mega Campaign, which I will gladly purchase) ------------------ Rob

Rob

Post #: 77
- 3/7/2001 8:38:00 PM   
Patrick Siebelink

To all things David mentioned on the website, I can add that there will be around 700 new LBM's in the game, both new units and corrected/improved pictures and that list is still growing... What I would still want to see in the game are spotter planes (I know they were there, and removed as they were unrealistic but I still liked them ) Also, improved, or dedicated CBF would be nice and during recent campaigns I have the feeling that some tanks tend to be to weak (like the T34, against which you do stand a change with your pzIII nowadays, but same for Tiger I etc.) could be wrong though.. Patrick

Post #: 78
- 3/7/2001 9:03:00 PM   
Warhorse

Patrick, you lurker you!! And now we've heard from our esteemed LBM Guru!! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 79
- 3/7/2001 10:27:00 PM   
O de B

Just seen the list, wonderful ! I just have 2 things to ask, well one serious and one rather a joke 1. I guess the shipping is not included in the $20... for CM it was about $15 to send to Europe... think 'll try to find friends to buy several in once 2. Just for fun, since you included level bombers, can the 88's fire AA barrage to them ?

Post #: 80
- 3/8/2001 3:49:00 AM   
David Heath

Level Bombers can not be attack by any Anti-Aircraft guns. David P.S. Hi Patrick... well send these LBM's along we got about a week or so left before the release.

Post #: 81
- 3/8/2001 8:05:00 AM   
murx

Uhm, I guess that what they told the B-26 - or whatever number it had - crews. "Hey calm down, they never can get you with their infamous 88" , lol, I have to wonder why the AA department of the German army was on of the biggest parts late in the war if they couldn't hit those damn LBMs. Heavy AA can fire at them. murx (this is meant funny not in a flaing ay )

Post #: 82
- 3/8/2001 7:41:00 PM   
Kharan

quote:

Originally posted by Patrick Siebelink: To all things David mentioned on the website, I can add that there will be around 700 new LBM's in the game, both new units and corrected/improved pictures and that list is still growing...
700?! There's only ~330 units with missing pictures in v4.5!

Post #: 83
- 3/8/2001 8:17:00 PM   
Yogi Yohan

quote:

Originally posted by Patrick Siebelink: I have the feeling that some tanks tend to be to weak (like the T34, against which you do stand a change with your pzIII nowadays, but same for Tiger I etc.) could be wrong though...
Actually, I think you SHOULD at least stand a chance against a T-34 with a PzKpfw-III with a 50mm main gun, especially the Kwk 39 L60. Even when armed with a Kwk 38 L42 PzKpfw III's had a fighing chance at point blank range. In fact, I think very few tanks were as invulnerable as their fans would have them, not even the famed Tiger. The Brits killed Tigers with 6-pounders (a 57mm AT-gun, if i'm not mistaken). At point blank range, almost any tank can knock out almost any other, or at least disable it.

Post #: 84
- 3/9/2001 12:49:00 AM   
Rhodan

by the sound of it this new version will be well worth heating up the old cable modem. Would it be possible (or desirable?) to add a to-hit percentage in the OP fire text bar? I think it would be great in deciding whether or not the Op shot is worth giving up cover for. Rho

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/VCFIREFLY.txt[/img]

Post #: 85
- 3/9/2001 1:16:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Just so you know, the Mega Campaign North Africa Team, composed of 31 talented gamers, is now approaching the end of phase one. The team captains, Rick "Tankhead" Cloutier and Louie "Gung Ho" Marsh have done a great job in working with me and the team members on this project. Nearly 100 scenarios are being finalized as I write this. You won't necessarily play all 100 of them, but you will get sand in your shoes and in your hair and get to know Oberst Dietsl and General Rommel quite well. What is next? Now comes the putting together of pictures, articles, anecdotes, battles, variants, etc., etc, all of which is a part of the Mega Campaign - THE DESERT FOX. Break out that sunblock and shades! And bring a blanket. It gets cold in the desert at night. Be prepared for scorpions, thirst, disorientation, mirages, and a relentless enemy who will fight you every step of the way. This is going to be an experience you will long remember! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 86
- 3/9/2001 2:53:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Just so you know, the Mega Campaign North Africa Team, composed of 31 talented gamers, is now approaching the end of phase one. The team captains, Rick "Tankhead" Cloutier and Louie "Gung Ho" Marsh have done a great job in working with me and the team members on this project. Nearly 100 scenarios are being finalized as I write this. You won't necessarily play all 100 of them, but you will get sand in your shoes and in your hair and get to know Oberst Dietsl and General Rommel quite well. What is next? Now comes the putting together of pictures, articles, anecdotes, battles, variants, etc., etc, all of which is a part of the Mega Campaign - THE DESERT FOX. Break out that sunblock and shades! And bring a blanket. It gets cold in the desert at night. Be prepared for scorpions, thirst, disorientation, mirages, and a relentless enemy who will fight you every step of the way. This is going to be an experience you will long remember! Wild Bill
I can’t wait to play this one!!

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

Post #: 87
- 3/9/2001 2:55:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

I heard about a new very long designed campaign that will come whit version 5.0: “from Africa to Germany”. Is this a new one or one made by linking “Preparing the Way” and “U2R”?

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

Post #: 88
- 3/9/2001 11:47:00 AM   
Mike Rothery

quote:

Originally posted by Yogi Yohan: In fact, I think very few tanks were as invulnerable as their fans would have them, not even the famed Tiger. The Brits killed Tigers with 6-pounders (a 57mm AT-gun, if i'm not mistaken). At point blank range, almost any tank can knock out almost any other, or at least disable it.
Don't underestimate the psychlogical effect of hitting a tank with any sort of shell when the crew cannot see what it is that's firing. It would be a very brave and confident crew that would disregard the heavy clanging on the hull if they knew neither what was hitting them nor where the firing was coming from. Tank crews also knew all too well that getting immobilised on the battlefield was a dangerous affair, even if the enemy couldn't penetrate your armour. ------------------ MikeR ------------------------- General MacArthur: "If you were an American I'd have you shot" Field Marshal Blamey: "General, if I was an American I'd shoot myself" Scene from the film, The Last Bastion

MikeR

Post #: 89
- 3/9/2001 4:54:00 PM   
mr172

Hi guys, I'm one of the testers of Mega Campaign so I've the updated stuff when it came out from the programmers. They say that for us the final version will be for free ( forgotten that we are busy to hears ONLY in PLAYING a game BEFORE others can do) But by sure I'll order and pay my 20$ for the final product, coz I know the amount of love, passion, wisdom that the Matrix bunch put in every code line. Massimo

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI