Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supplying Dilithium to World Destroyer?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Supplying Dilithium to World Destroyer? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supplying Dilithium to World Destroyer? - 11/26/2013 2:50:01 AM   
hellfish6

I've almost completed rebuilding the World Destroyer. It's in someone else's system, and my construction ship has halted work for want of dilithium crystal. Is there any way to supply the construction ship with the materiel?

I've tried swapping the construction ships out, with no luck. I also can't order a privately owned cargo ship full of the stuff to supply my constructor.

Post #: 1
RE: Supplying Dilithium to World Destroyer? - 11/26/2013 8:09:37 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

I've almost completed rebuilding the World Destroyer. It's in someone else's system, and my construction ship has halted work for want of dilithium crystal. Is there any way to supply the construction ship with the materiel?

I've tried swapping the construction ships out, with no luck. I also can't order a privately owned cargo ship full of the stuff to supply my constructor.

It should happen automatically. In Shadows, I find that any missing resources in repairs to a World Destroyer project are delivered long before the work finishes, just because the repair takes an inordinate amount of time (caveat: I do not know what affects the time it takes; if it is connected with research speed, that is set to very slow in my games).

What you describe looks typical for earlier versions of the game.

It is also possible that the freighter which was assigned by the AI to transport Dilithium chose an insecure location to pick up the goods. The freighter may have been shooed away by pirates or similar. The game takes a while to recover from such interruptions. An affected freighter will usually take up another job and the AI takes its time to take on urgent jobs (most of the freighter fleet is busy with unimportant tasks). The good new is that in Shadows there should be eventually come another freighter.

If you have it in hand, you could build a Dilithium mine somewhere close to the construction site, closer than any other Dilithium source. Transport assignments will typically choose a source close to the target. With the construction site in foreign territory this may be difficult though. Getting a new mine built and wait for the AI to actually pick this as a source rather than someplace insecure may take a long time, anyway, or be entirely futile, though.

A usually quicker alternative is to interrupt the current repair and give a new repair order either this or a different constructor. With an almost completed World Destroyer project, nobody would like this idea.

You could select the constructor, zoom out very far and turn on the civilian ship vectors overlay for the galaxy map. If there is any freighter assigned to deliver goods to the constructor, its vector will be drawn in red. If the vector doesn't point directly to the constructor, the ship is on its way to pick up cargo. Just keep in mind, this view isn't guaranteed to show whether a transport is underway. I do not know to which extent it covers 'independent' freighters. And even your ship may be inside a system, about to pick up cargo, then the vector won't show in the galaxy map.

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 2
RE: Supplying Dilithium to World Destroyer? - 11/26/2013 5:04:11 PM   
Shark7

It will take a long time, but it will happen. Depending on the distance from the empire center and whether or not the star ports and planets are fully supplied, you may have to wait a long time for the freighters to start moving it to a world destroyer project.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 3
RE: Supplying Dilithium to World Destroyer? - 11/26/2013 7:55:14 PM   
skigrinder

Has there been any more thought given to the idea that military ships with cargo bays could be used to manually satisfy resource shortages?

If we had a simple screen to load and unload the cargo bays on a Resupply ship, a large portion of the posts on this forum would instantly become irrelevant.

Waiting for freighters when we have perfectly good military ships at hand is bullshit.

skigrinder

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Supplying Dilithium to World Destroyer? - 11/27/2013 7:25:19 AM   
Merker

Hmm, in the original DW you could technically command freighters around by selecting them along with a military ship and forming a fleet. As long as the freighter was still in that fleet you could send it anywhere. Can't you still do this in Shadows?

Cheers

[image][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][/URL][/image]

(in reply to skigrinder)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Supplying Dilithium to World Destroyer? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI