Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What did you do today in World in Flames?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/17/2013 1:43:21 PM   
Dorb

Finally have my tracker for my DVD,books and maps.

(in reply to Peeking Duck?)
Post #: 61
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 12:59:33 AM   
Dorb

Checked with the lads in the warehouse to see when FedEx usually delivers. Yes, after two weeks I must admit - getting a tad impatient for what should be delivered tomorrow.

Oh, and tried to explain to them what I had coming in for delivery. Ever try to explain a game to non-gamers?... (let alone a wargame - one with 3 books and a 9'x 21' map) - Let's just say its best not to discuss.

(in reply to Peeking Duck?)
Post #: 62
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 3:22:04 AM   
Magpius

Opened the box, and began reading.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 63
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 3:40:58 AM   
Arnir

Downloaded it.

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 64
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 4:27:14 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Checked with the lads in the warehouse to see when FedEx usually delivers. Yes, after two weeks I must admit - getting a tad impatient for what should be delivered tomorrow.

Oh, and tried to explain to them what I had coming in for delivery. Ever try to explain a game to non-gamers?... (let alone a wargame - one with 3 books and a 9'x 21' map) - Let's just say its best not to discuss.

Hey, I finally got a copy of the manuals and maps. Don't ask!

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 65
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 5:43:43 AM   
HansHafen

Received my books and started reading. The books are excellent and beautiful. They smell good too! (Book smelling isn't socially unacceptable to admit is it? If so, pretend you didn't read that!)

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 66
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 9:08:35 AM   
Extraneous

Updated my links on strategy discussion in Mods and Scenarios and The War Room.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to HansHafen)
Post #: 67
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 2:39:57 PM   
Dorb

Just got the goods here at work. Question, I do not appear to have the disc for WiF. (or is it only a download?) The only disks I have are for Flashpoint which I also order along with WiF and the maps.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 68
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 4:05:26 PM   
markb50k

check the inside cover of the Vol 1 of the players manual for the DVD.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 69
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 5:35:23 PM   
Dorb

Crap, I didn't unwrap the books, and took everything home at lunch time. Will be first thing I check when I get home tonight. Thanks for the heads up Markb.

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 70
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 5:37:28 PM   
WarHunter

Successfully cobbled together 2 monitors and worked out the windows to my liking. Working on setups, reading the wonderful player manuals and re-learning the joy of WiF Matrix style.

Attachment (1)

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 71
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/21/2013 6:25:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Successfully cobbled together 2 monitors and worked out the windows to my liking. Working on setups, reading the wonderful player manuals and re-learning the joy of WiF Matrix style.

Move the Main form over to the right, about the width of the SL form. That will leave room for the Selectable Units form. You'll be using the Selectable Units form a lot. For example, for all the air missions.

EDIT: I meant for you to resize the Main form so it isn't as wide, not move it.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 11/21/2013 7:27:32 PM >

Steve

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 72
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/22/2013 2:47:19 AM   
alexvand

Today I discovered I didn't know the rules for putting new CVPs on carriers very well. Left the Med exposed by having all the CW carriers with no CVPs on them. Italians put together a solid attack on a well defended Malta and roll badly. Then the Germans get nothing but bad weather for the first two impulses of May/june 41 Barbarossa. At the moment the Russians look strong and secure as the Germans slog through the mud.

Great Fun!

Post #: 73
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/22/2013 10:19:31 AM   
Extraneous

I am still recovering from a system crash.

The Negitive side of things
Had to restore drivers and get Windows XP to work. I had to do a lot of work to fix this.

The Positive side of things
The crash fixed several corupted files.

The Scary side of things
The crash restored ALL my old links. Yes all of them even the ones I had deleted years ago.

I even found one link to Bush and the NAFTA super highway.

I have found programs I had deleted are now on my computer again.

When I chose to leave the beta I deleted ALL files on my computer regarding MWiF (as required by the NDA).

I have now found a zipped version 7 copy of MWiF on my machine. Which will be deleted as soon as possiable and I check what else has come back.  

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 74
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/22/2013 12:40:45 PM   
lecrop

Trying to play as soon as possible my pbem turns of Dominions 4, HPS Austerlitz and Ageod's Revolution under Siege to take the rest of my available time available for MWiF.

I ONLY WANT TO PLAY MWIF FOREVER

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 75
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/23/2013 4:48:07 AM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Move the Main form over to the right, about the width of the SL form. That will leave room for the Selectable Units form. You'll be using the Selectable Units form a lot. For example, for all the air missions.

EDIT: I meant for you to resize the Main form so it isn't as wide, not move it.

Thanks for the tip. Decided to make some adjustments based on your suggestion.

Finished the setup for Global war. Setting up the CW convoy line took the most time, nation wise. But its done and saved!!! All factories working at full steam.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

Post #: 76
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/23/2013 11:32:52 AM   
BeastieDog

The video tutorials were great. Watched them several times. The interactive tutorials were confusing so I skipped them. Started Barbarossa in solitare. Tried to get my laptop working with a second monitor, but part of the map cut off. I understand there is a problem if the monitors are different sizes, so one monitor it is. The books finally got in and they blew me away (I'm just a pathetic wargamer). I do better with books in front of me with the game on the monitor than pdf help screens. Patched to 1.03. Got to the second turn in Barbarossa. No bugs so far. Finally figured out the 2D10 combat chart. Understanding the CRT seems essential to plan land attacks. I've now run into rain in July! Hmmm. What to do?

Dog

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 77
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/26/2013 8:30:59 PM   
captskillet

In honor of the birthday of a true guitar virtuoso Mr Jimi Hendrix I listened to some Hendrix while playing MWIF!

check out this 12 string work by Jimi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPtv14q9ZDg

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to BeastieDog)
Post #: 78
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/26/2013 9:24:13 PM   
wodin

Nothing wrong with book sniffing..usually that gloss paper smells the best..
quote:

ORIGINAL: HansHafen

Received my books and started reading. The books are excellent and beautiful. They smell good too! (Book smelling isn't socially unacceptable to admit is it? If so, pretend you didn't read that!)

(in reply to HansHafen)
Post #: 79
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/26/2013 9:52:09 PM   
ezzler

Found a bug - Choose unit to be destroyed in combat- then changed mind and unchecked that unit and chose another. No way to pick another unit. Buttons greyed out - aborted game.

Just as well as rain on impulse 2 Barbarrossa and 2 roll of 1's on first attacks meant the panzers were going nowhere. And forgot to move the Finns - Is there a check for unmoved units button?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 80
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/26/2013 10:16:51 PM   
LeeChard

Have played Barbarossa 3 times. I'm a poor German player. As the Russians I take my lumps and fall back. My German side runs out of steam by fall way short of objectives. I don't want to move on to other scenarios until I get a grasp of how attack without ending up with disorganized HQ's too far in the rear

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 81
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/26/2013 10:36:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Found a bug - Choose unit to be destroyed in combat- then changed mind and unchecked that unit and chose another. No way to pick another unit. Buttons greyed out - aborted game.

Just as well as rain on impulse 2 Barbarrossa and 2 roll of 1's on first attacks meant the panzers were going nowhere. And forgot to move the Finns - Is there a check for unmoved units button?

What kind of combat?

Steve

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 82
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/26/2013 10:41:51 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

Have played Barbarossa 3 times. I'm a poor German player. As the Russians I take my lumps and fall back. My German side runs out of steam by fall way short of objectives. I don't want to move on to other scenarios until I get a grasp of how attack without ending up with disorganized HQ's too far in the rear

Be aggressive in using your tactical air in the first impulse to disorganize Russian units. Only do good attacks. Save disorganizing German HQs until later in the turn. If you must use HQs to reorganize units, use ALL your HQs for that purpose and then use the Offensive chit to reorganize all your HQs at the start of the next turn. Keep your fighters up close to your HQs to prevent the USSR from ground striking them. Keeping your HQs in forest hexes also helps protect them from ground strikes.

Figure out how far you want/expect your army to advance in the turn and from that, figure out where you will need to advance your HQs. They should not let them become disorganized until you get them to their intended destination hex.

Steve

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 83
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 9:38:27 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

Be aggressive in using your tactical air in the first impulse to disorganize Russian units. Only do good attacks. Save disorganizing German HQs until later in the turn. If you must use HQs to reorganize units, use ALL your HQs for that purpose and then use the Offensive chit to reorganize all your HQs at the start of the next turn. Keep your fighters up close to your HQs to prevent the USSR from ground striking them. Keeping your HQs in forest hexes also helps protect them from ground strikes.

Figure out how far you want/expect your army to advance in the turn and from that, figure out where you will need to advance your HQs. They should not let them become disorganized until you get them to their intended destination hex.

I'm not using my HQ's well according to your post.
Thanks for the tip!

Post #: 84
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 1:34:30 PM   
Maudite

I'm finishing up the video tutorials today. I'm so impressed that Kevin Spacey narrates them!

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 85
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 1:44:34 PM   
CrusssDaddy

Today I started a scenario in which all the significant minor countries -- Spain, Turkey, Sweden, Mexico, all of South America except Brazil, etc. -- are Axis-aligned. I'm going to give Italy and Germany all of the naval units in their pools, along with the entire French Fleet, and pull an Invasion America scenario in spring '40. I'll set the weather to clear everywhere just to make certain they get a nice foothold. If it's too unbalanced, I'll give the US a B-36 and a P-80 or something. Then we'll see where things go!

Oh my bad -- that's what I did in CWiF today, not MWiF

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 86
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 3:53:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

Today I started a scenario in which all the significant minor countries -- Spain, Turkey, Sweden, Mexico, all of South America except Brazil, etc. -- are Axis-aligned. I'm going to give Italy and Germany all of the naval units in their pools, along with the entire French Fleet, and pull an Invasion America scenario in spring '40. I'll set the weather to clear everywhere just to make certain they get a nice foothold. If it's too unbalanced, I'll give the US a B-36 and a P-80 or something. Then we'll see where things go!

warspite1

No problem CD, I'm sure no one will begrudge you posting about CWIF on here - why not do an AAR on that scenario?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 87
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 4:08:37 PM   
WarHunter

Project wall mounting currently underway.
Maps E1-2, F1-3 currently up.
A1-3, B1-3 C1-3 Planned. Photos will be shared along the way.

Lesson 1 Lining up hexes perfectly on the floor has more precision than lining up on a vertical surface.
Lesson 2 Because of overlap, Working from bottom up is optimal. Not upper right working down.

Remember, the maps are straight, its the ceiling that is not level.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by WarHunter -- 11/27/2013 5:10:56 PM >

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 88
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 4:10:51 PM   
warspite1

Wow..just wow!!!! You lucky B......

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 89
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 4:40:49 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

CWIF ***You are not referring to that game from ADG are you, the one I have with prehistoric graphics, supply that does not work, cant tell aircraft from a sub counter, never will be an AI, and about 20 other things that MWIF has that CWIF didnt have, you cant mean that one crussdaddy, old saying cruss " you can fool some people sometimes but you cant fool all the people all the time".

You have not played that game in years, come on fess up cruss, free and cleanse your soul from MWIF hatred it will make you a much better person that we can all learn to love and appreciate. Hmmm maybe not!

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 11/27/2013 5:45:15 PM >

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI