Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/1/2013 12:46:50 PM   
Hertston

I'm currently planning my 50th birthday vacation trip, which will be 3 weeks or so spent in and around the triangle formed by New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville. Some stops are obvious (with me being a blues/jazz and country fan and the Mrs an Elvis nut), but does anyone who lives in the area have any suggestions for more unusual places to visit or just to go chill for a couple of days amongst pretty scenery?
Post #: 1
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/1/2013 1:19:01 PM   
shunwick

Hertston,

Madam Fifi's House of Domination springs to mind. Although since the economic downtown, I believe you have to take your own chains and whip.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 2
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/1/2013 1:43:16 PM   
Hertston

Well, I'm game but I'm not sure the Mrs would be keen...

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/1/2013 1:51:57 PM   
Curtis Lemay

See Camp Chalmette in New Orleans (Battle of New Orleans in 1815).

On the way to Memphis see Vicksburg National Military Park (1863 siege).

On the way to Nashville see Shiloh National Military Park (1862 battle).

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/1/2013 2:22:39 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Wow, now we're talking!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 5
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/1/2013 3:38:08 PM   
Numdydar

You can also see the original French barracks in New Orleans too. Talk about a hardship tour at the time lol.

You can also see Chiamagua battle field on the way up to Memphis

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 6
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/1/2013 4:44:05 PM   
rickier65

If you have any interest in the American Civil War, the Shiloh battlefield park is nice. Pretty spread out, but when i went they had an audio tour available (back then it was on cassette tape, but I imagine that's been upgraded).

Chickamauga is also nice, though it's a fair bit farther east. But if you make the drive to Chickamauga, you should also plan on visiting Lookout Mountain.

Also, if you're interested, the Jack Daniels distillery is in Lynchburg TN. (directly east of Memphis and south of Nashville. It has public tours, and is in a pretty setting. But don't expect free samples at end of tour, the distillery is actually in a "dry" county and Jack they had to get special exemption from the Tennessee state legislature to even be allowed to sell commemorative bottles of their product.

Rick

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 7
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/1/2013 5:19:28 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Any place that has chicken fried steak and cream gravy. You gotta try some of the southern food down here. Also bbq ribs, all you can eat seafood specials and  fresh baked apple pies.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 8
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/4/2013 6:50:52 PM   
reg113

+1 on Vicksburg and Shilo

Don't forget that the National World War II Museum is in New Orleans. A must see. Only takes all day, go early.

"Life's a b***h, then you die."

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 9
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/4/2013 7:13:37 PM   
catwhoorg

You can pretty much follow the whole Atlanta campaign battlefield sites.

Chickamauga and the other sites round Chatanooga is excellent. Kennesaw Mountain is well worth a visit.

Chatanooga and Atlanta both have top quality Aquariums, if thats your cup of tea.

Chilling, anywhere in the Blueridge mountains.

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 10
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/4/2013 8:51:33 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Shiloh, It is out side of crump,Tn.  Untouched by construction.  Easy to get too.  Watch for copperheads(yep) on the trails.  Don't know how it would look this time of year.  But during the spring its really nice.  Summer its nice but HOT.  Hey if you fire up a metal detector on the park....let us know if you get arrested(Photos). 

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 11
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/6/2013 10:03:54 PM   
Gilmer

In New Orleans, you want to go to Frenchmen street for the local music scene. Don't go to Bourbon Street. Well, you can go to Bourbon Street and Frenchman Street is pretty close. You'll see some really good music there, if you go.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/streets/frenchmenstreet.html

http://www.frenchquarter.com/nightlife/FaubourgMarigny.php

< Message edited by H Gilmer -- 12/6/2013 11:05:18 PM >

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 12
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/7/2013 3:49:09 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Shiloh, It is out side of crump,Tn.  Untouched by construction.  Easy to get too.  Watch for copperheads(yep) on the trails.  Don't know how it would look this time of year.  But during the spring its really nice.  Summer its nice but HOT.  Hey if you fire up a metal detector on the park....let us know if you get arrested(Photos). 

Agree, Shiloh is good, worth a visit. I may be A.F.U. but I recall going through Tupelo to get there ? Isn't that where Elvis was from ?

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 13
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/7/2013 5:51:31 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

I must agree that you should take the side trip to Shiloh on your way from Memphis to Nashville. Shiloh is an amazing Civil War park. If you want a great scenic drive from Shiloh take HJwy 64 W/TN15 W(140 miles)to Nashville. It will take you through some beautiful areas of southern and middle Tennessee. I lived in Brentwood, TN, a few miles south of Nashville and that area is gorgeous and there is a lot to see and do. See Franklin on you way, off I-65 N.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 14
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/9/2013 12:00:37 PM   
Mundy

The Fletcher class destroyer USS Kidd is, I believe, in Baton Rouge.

Ed-

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 15
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/9/2013 3:25:57 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I am going to have to see that myself.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

The Fletcher class destroyer USS Kidd is, I believe, in Baton Rouge.

Ed-

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 16
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/9/2013 4:41:41 PM   
Hertston

Thanks for the pointers folks.

Will have to go easy on the military stuff traveling with the Mrs, but Shiloh certainly looks like a must and I'm sure a few other places might be 'on the way' to somewhere else And chicken fried steak with cream gravy it most definitely will be.

Post #: 17
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/9/2013 9:15:34 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

If you were going in the spring or later I would highly suggest Cajun country, possibly centered around Lafayette and surrounding parishes. Tons of festivals and great music, food and people.

I'd also caution you to stay alert. There are areas of abject poverty in some of the region and no shortage of those who would take advantage of a naive traveler. Stay away from Memphis, it's the armpit of Tennessee although the rest of the state is very nice. If you do go, stick close to the touristy areas.

Another possibility would be to take the Natchez Trace out of New Orleans all the way to Nashville. Plenty to see along the way as you wind through small towns in the South and through Jackson and Tupelo and Muscle Shoals, home to great music. It is really nice spring through fall.

http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 18
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/10/2013 1:08:49 AM   
reg113

Natchez Trace goes from Natchez, MS (not New Orleans) to Nashville at 50 mph. It is a National Park and is mostly pretty country side that by-passes all towns.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 19
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/10/2013 1:31:15 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Yeah, but I think he's starting out of n.o so I figured a trip to Natchez and up. Wasn't clear on that though. Much like the Blue Ridge Parkway through North Carolina, it skirts the many towns on the way so detours are a must. A few years ago we took it out of Cherokee all the way to Roanoke, although we did cheat a couple times. Nice drive.

Where you from? The wife is from North Carrollton, MS.

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 20
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/10/2013 1:57:00 AM   
Gilmer

I'd like to add to Missouri Rebel's advice. If you're in NO, stay alert as well and stick to the places where tourists are or places like Frenchmen street where there are a lot of locals. There are rougher areas very close to those sections and some I'm not even sure I'd be on foot in daylight. My cousin from Boston had me walking to the waterfront while we were in the Art district, but the bad thing is, there was a ghetto in between. It was daylight, but I was not real crazy about the looks we were getting.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Post #: 21
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/10/2013 5:10:01 PM   
reg113

Clinton. Outside of Jackson toward Vicksburg.

Post #: 22
RE: Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee - 12/11/2013 8:34:40 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: reg113

Clinton. Outside of Jackson toward Vicksburg.

Ah, so you know the Trace well then, or at least that region. I've enjoyed the trips to MS and friendlier people are hard to find. Then again, the wifes family are from deep woods. Always glad to see ya. But I think they're just as glad to see you leave.

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Where to go in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI