Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/24/2013 5:47:47 AM   
sunlit uplands

A feature that I would love, though I expect it would be an enormous undertaking to complete, is to have a kind of replay feature that shows the progress of the game like a video, and can be played forward, backward, paused, and at various speeds.

(in reply to palad1n)
Post #: 721
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/24/2013 10:58:55 AM   
Neilster

I suggested this about 8 years ago. Steve was keen but binned it due to the amount of work involved.

I was also thinking that a saved game could be created that followed WW2 as closely as possible with MWiF and then you could "watch" a MWiF WW2 on replay.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to sunlit uplands)
Post #: 722
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/26/2013 6:28:14 PM   
wolf14455

Incremented losses on corps/army´s sudgestion

As ships can be dmg´d can corps/armies be treated the same way? I understand the aproach for aboardgame with limited counter mix,but now its on computer it would be nice evolvment I guess.

A corp/army is stronger than the 2 divs it can be split too, why not count the corp/army hitpoints as 3 divs? Replacing the full corp/army with 1 or 2 divs when taking losses and make the lost divs available in the build pool simulating reinforcents, so the corp/army can be back to full strenght.

< Message edited by Swedewolf -- 11/26/2013 8:11:20 PM >

SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 723
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/26/2013 7:48:55 PM   
paulderynck

Could it be done? - Yes. Will it ever be done in MWiF? I would say No.

Paul

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 724
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/26/2013 9:00:31 PM   
wolf14455

Please elaborate.

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

SwedeWolf

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 725
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/26/2013 9:56:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swedewolf

Please elaborate.

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

warspite1

There is so much that can be done now WIF is computerised, but I think such an idea (while attractive in many ways) would make WIF a different game. It would need intensive play-testing to see what effect it has for a start.

There is a divisional level WIF in the offing (although will only be made if enough pre-orders are received - unlikely on present showing).

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 726
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/26/2013 10:02:10 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swedewolf

Please elaborate.

Yes it is possible to program it as suggested. Now consider the work Steve has on his plate and what his announced priorities are. 'Nuff said IMO.

In fact there is an optional CRT in the 2008 Annual called the 3D10, that uses repair points for Corps. AAMOF there are many other WiF rules in various Annuals which are classified as being from the "House of Rules". They are not official options, but they are playable rules for the boardgame if all agree to play them - much like house rules amongst playing groups. Our group has one that extends Isolated re-org to ships at sea because we feel it's unrealistic that ships at sea need no supply.

IMO no house rules will ever be added to MWiF.

Edit to correct numerous typos.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 11/26/2013 11:04:35 PM >

Paul

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 727
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/26/2013 10:05:22 PM   
wolf14455

Hmm, ok. Thanx for the clarification. Maybee when all is done some will invent a houserule app to the game to implement own house rules.

SwedeWolf

Post #: 728
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/26/2013 10:10:13 PM   
paulderynck

I suppose the one we have about ships at sea could be implemented between two players by simply agreeing not to re-org disrupted ships that stay at sea in certain circumstances. But the software would not enforce it and it'd likely be a PITA because if not husbanding ones oil, there is a "re-org all" function that would take far less time for the players.

There are other house rules like this that could be used in MWiF by gentlemen's agreement and performed manually.

Paul

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 729
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/26/2013 11:04:22 PM   
wolf14455

Yup, we found out some allready.

SwedeWolf

Post #: 730
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 12/1/2013 10:48:17 PM   
Klydon

This may be me using the wrong form/not doing it right, but a recalculate button on the small world map to take the changes made with the convoys after changes have been made. I have been using the "unused convoy" box on this map a lot, especially as the Commonwealth, to figure out where I have surplus shipping or need to add some more. After I make some changes, I find myself having to close the production planning window and reopening to get it to recalculate changes.

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 731
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 12/1/2013 11:08:24 PM   
Klydon

Wrong thread.

< Message edited by Klydon -- 12/2/2013 12:09:44 AM >

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 732
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 12/7/2013 8:44:43 PM   
Eastern1

A good AI to play it alone !!! It would with n o doubt double your sales for this game !!! I for instance will only buy it whenever it has a decent AI

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 733
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 12/19/2013 8:35:38 AM   
doohanok

Hi Steve,

After experimenting with the game for many weeks now (and loving it, bugs and all), can I make a suggestion on something that I think will improve gameplay and time.

With the A2A combat, can the aborting of aircraft be handled like that for ships? Can the aborts be all done at the end of combat, instead of during combat. If there is an abort, the plane is removed from the fighter or bomber queue and left until the end of combat when all planes have to return to base anyhow?

It seems a waste of time to digress from combat for each abort, when they could all be done after combat.

Just a suggestion because I know that you are flat out with more important items at the moment.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks,
Brett

Cheers

DoohanOK

Most people are apathetic to evil until they themselves are affected by it.

(in reply to Eastern1)
Post #: 734
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 12/19/2013 4:53:54 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: doohanok

Hi Steve,

After experimenting with the game for many weeks now (and loving it, bugs and all), can I make a suggestion on something that I think will improve gameplay and time.

With the A2A combat, can the aborting of aircraft be handled like that for ships? Can the aborts be all done at the end of combat, instead of during combat. If there is an abort, the plane is removed from the fighter or bomber queue and left until the end of combat when all planes have to return to base anyhow?

It seems a waste of time to digress from combat for each abort, when they could all be done after combat.

Just a suggestion because I know that you are flat out with more important items at the moment.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks,
Brett

Thanks.

It would require a lot of code changes. And although it would be a deviation from RAW it doesn't strike me as a significant one.

I did this for scrapping units. Previously the decision to scrap each unit was made at the time the unit was destroyed. In fact in at least one of the tutorial videos you'll see me scrapping a destroyed unit as a digression. That was a lot of unnecessary digressions. By postponing those decisions until the end of the turn, nothing substantial changed vis-a-vis RAW. For instance, no one has even commented on this deviation since the game has been released. A nice benefit of the Scrap Units change is that the Destroyed Pool was created, which players like to review during and at the end of the turn.

I'll think about the change for air-to-air combat aborts when I get to coding PBEM. Anything that streamlines play will be good for PBEM.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to doohanok)
Post #: 735
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 12/19/2013 6:47:34 PM   
paulderynck

I recall commenting on the beta side that many people do the scrapping in PBEM games at the end of the turn anyway.

Paul

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 736
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 12/23/2013 8:30:21 PM   
Sabre21

I would like a Netplay feature that slaves my map to my opponents map so I can watch what he is doing rather than trying to guess where he is at and scrolling like a madman only to find out he is now at a new location.

Maybe have a UI button that has "Maplock" or something similar that auto centers my map to my opponents during his movement phase, but it deactivates when it is my action to do something or maybe by clicking on the UI button or hitting the keyboard spacebar.

Post #: 737
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 12/31/2013 9:36:31 PM   
JagWars

How about a button that shows only land units and one that shows only air units on the map or one that switches amoung all units, land units only, and air units only.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 738
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/1/2014 7:20:09 AM   
jusi

It would be nice (in particular for After Action Reports on this forum ;-)) to have a pool showing what was built during the last production step.

(in reply to JagWars)
Post #: 739
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/2/2014 4:24:21 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: jusi

It would be nice (in particular for After Action Reports on this forum ;-)) to have a pool showing what was built during the last production step.

This +1

There is no simple way to show what each nation is building at the end of a turn. Most AAR's will type out the builds. For every Nation. Each Turn.
You could screen shot each nation, but at 1 upload per post... cut paste eh ya, not happening.

I've settled on just showing the reinforcements coming in at the beginning of a turn.
Yes, I'm that lazy.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to jusi)
Post #: 740
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/4/2014 4:41:00 PM   
Sabre21

We really need an Undo load button on the Naval Review Details screen. If you load a unit and then decide it should go on a different transport or not at all, you have to reload the Naval movement phase and start again. Obviously in Netplay you can't do this so if you make a mistake or change your mind, you can't.

Post #: 741
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/4/2014 5:16:42 PM   
Centuur

There is the "undo" button you should be able to use in the unit menu for this. That puts both cargo and AMPH/TRS back to the place they started from. You can also use the "ESC" button when moving a stack containing a loaded TRS, that does the same trick...

Peter

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 742
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/4/2014 5:26:11 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

There is the "undo" button you should be able to use in the unit menu for this. That puts both cargo and AMPH/TRS back to the place they started from. You can also use the "ESC" button when moving a stack containing a loaded TRS, that does the same trick...

There is an Undo All button under the Command menu but that will undo everything except loaded transports and I don't want to have to redo all the moves over again. The ESC is a work around. It would be better to simply have an undo function right on that screen or just be able to click on the loaded unit to unload it.

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 1/4/2014 6:28:50 PM >

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 743
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/4/2014 6:10:07 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

quote:

There is an Undo All button under the Command menu but that will undo everything except loaded transports and I don't want to have to redo all the moves over again. The ESC is a work around. It would be better to simply have an undo function right on that screen or just be able to click on the loaded unit to unload it.

Than you probably haven't discovered the "undo" button in the unit menu which is there during several phases. Right click on a unit you've moved already and see the undo button appearing. This button is available, as long as there is no enemy action taken against your unit. For units being transported, just undo the movement of the TRS/AMPH.

< Message edited by Centuur -- 1/4/2014 7:11:27 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 744
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/4/2014 6:41:18 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

quote:

Than you probably haven't discovered the "undo" button in the unit menu which is there during several phases. Right click on a unit you've moved already and see the undo button appearing. This button is available, as long as there is no enemy action taken against your unit. For units being transported, just undo the movement of the TRS/AMPH.

Yep, I've used that one too. Forgot about it and it does unload the unit back into the port after the ship has been moved but not while in the original port before being moved. If the undo would work in this situation, the issue would be solved.

So I wonder if this is a bug or is it working as intended?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 1/4/2014 7:51:15 PM >

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 745
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/4/2014 9:16:51 PM   
Centuur

So what you are saying that if you undo the moved TRS, the TRS gets put back to the port where it loaded the unit and doesn't go back to the port from where it originally sailed? If so, that does sound like a bug.

Peter

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 746
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/4/2014 9:57:08 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

So what you are saying that if you undo the moved TRS, the TRS gets put back to the port where it loaded the unit and doesn't go back to the port from where it originally sailed? If so, that does sound like a bug.

It goes back to the original port and unloads the unit, so no bug in that regards. I never tried to move from one port and then pick up a unit and then move to a follow on location.

If you load a unit onto the transport that starts in the same location, there is no way to unload that transport and put a different unit in it without first moving it to some other location and then selecting undo. There will be times when you load a unit and then decide that you need to have a different unit loaded. Having an undo function in that case would be nice.

The undo does not appear on the transport menu until after it has been moved, and the undo on the ground unit menu does not work.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 747
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/4/2014 9:57:57 PM   
Courtenay

There is definitely something buggy about the undo button. I just moved a CW AA unit from Cardiff to Gibraltar. I decided that was a mistake, and did an undo. This put the TRS and the AA unit back to Cardiff, and I moved them to Cape St Vincent. This produced two copies of the AA gun, one in Cardiff, and one in Cape St. Vincent. After the end of phase, the one in Cape St. Vincent disappeared, which is not what I was hoping would happen. I will have to go back and redo the Allied naval move, which I am not looking forward to.

Attachment (1)

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 748
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/7/2014 1:50:20 PM   
Courtenay

That when one goes to the Select Naval Units form it defaults to no units selected rather than all units selected. I have made far too many mistakes with all units being selected.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

Post #: 749
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 1/7/2014 2:37:16 PM   
Mayhemizer_slith

How about "Edit button". In case of some bugs or mistakes it would be nice (if all players agree) to be able to move/delete etc units.

Not asking to do it right away, but I would like it in a distant future.

For example if a bug prevents you to do a port attack / naval combat, you can resolve it manually and remove some ships.

Sometimes you might forget to move some units on the edge of map, it is easier with PC version than physical map. If opponent is merciful you could move it using "edit" rather that reload and possibly go trough a combat phase.

If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI