Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Chinese map and Japanese set up

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> The War Room >> Chinese map and Japanese set up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 4:41:06 AM   
Klydon

The map for China is something sort of unique for MWiF, so any pet strategy/set up most had is out the door from the table top.

To me, it is very difficult for the Japanese really to accomplish anything in any meaningful amount of time without running some big risks.

At any rate, here is my set up. Not having a usual Chinese setup to work with, this is fairly close to what I think is ok.

Pretty much all the optional rules are in play that matter here and that includes unlimited breakdown and Nationalist attack weakness (attack at half strength).

The Japanese setup includes the ability to pull in all units from Japan over the first turn. (I typically start with a naval, put the transports out and suck all the troops out of Japan and land them the following turn in China).

I had been sending Yamamoto and the bulk of the troops coming over from Japan down south, but I have not really been getting anywhere doing that between bad weather and the Chinese slowing my advance by a very slow with-drawl. This set up sort of leaves Canton on its own while I plan on using more troops up north to try to accomplish something.

To me, the Communist section is the real danger as they will get most of the re-enforcements.

At any rate, the idea with this setup is to break down 3-4 corps (this one has 3) and use the divisions where the Nationalists can't get a good shot on them to help form up a more solid line and also provide some forces to actually do something with.

In my set up, I also pull the HQ out of Manchuria along with the motorized infantry. (You can see the motorized infantry on the border). The HQ is railed in on the second Japanese impulse when they take a land and is used to put the units along the northern part of the front into supply.

This is sort of a primer for a discussion on this topic (setups for the Japanese and Chinese using the new map).

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 5:02:40 AM   
brian brian

The Japanese hold the strategic initiative. They should concentrate their forces and attack the Chinese on the axis of their choice, for as long as they can. Forming a nice Japanese line dilutes their forces too much.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 2
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 11:44:34 AM   
Centuur

As the Chinese, you have some choices to make. It is important to keep your forces available to you and try to keep them alive. If you are setting up the Chinese as you did, my answer as the Japanese would be to concentrate on killing as much units as I can in the first impulse, since they are mainly in clear hexes sitting on there own. That is a dangerous set up, because it is going to cost you an awful lot of casualties.

It is better to let the Japanese advance towards the mountains, stretching his supply lines and see if you are going to be able to get units behind enemy lines...

Peter

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 3
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 11:44:57 AM   
Hokum

I agree with Brian. Unless you plan a defensive war in China, you must decide if your first short-term objective will be Changsha or Si'an and deploy accordingly. I am assuming from your set-up you are playing with Chinese nationalist weakness, to each his own, but that's actually another good incentive for your to keep your forces together.

On the other side, Chinese forces can safely ignore the Hubei (the province between chang-sha and Si'an) and deploy to either one of those two objectives. There's no way the Japanese will cross it, there would be too many supply problems. Just keep a few mobile forces (CAV) there to remember the Japanese he must keep a reserve against incursions. Stack two units per hex too, if the Japanese decides to attack an hex, you must make sure it can kill one of its units or flip them.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 4
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 1:46:58 PM   
vicberg

Remember that JP gets an HQ (Terauchi) starting in Manchuria. He's a 3 mover. It's typical that the HQ and MOT in Manchuria line up next to China and move south. On the MWIF map, on the second impulse, the north will be in supply. Alternatively, the starting China HQ (Umezu) can start in the north and Terauchi can rail into the middle.

JP starts with 2 MARS, Yamamoto a MIL and GUN in Japan. It's typical for them to ship into Canton and move up to secure the southern China resources. I don't see that changing a whole lot even on these maps.

Your setup seems to be focused on holding territory on both sides. Territory doesn't matter. Resources, Factories and rail lines (for Japan) are all that matter. Cities like Nanyang may seem important as they can be supply sources for the Chinese. But nothing can get there quickly across mountains and forests. So it really isn't important. If China defends the middle, they will get slaughtered. Chinese troops can't stand up for a minute against Japanese forces in the clear.

No one is pushing through the desert in the north. Forget about it. The battle in the north is identical to WIF. Sian is the focus for defense and attack and nothing else up there matters. In the middle, the goal is Changsha, same as WIF. In the south, push up and secure the resources.

I have to wonder if this map actually favors the Japanese, at least in early stages of the war. Yes, China can make some incursions, easily dealt with. But the Japanese ARM and MECH can finally be useful! If China defends anything but their mountains, they may find it hard to survive.

< Message edited by vicberg -- 12/14/2013 2:49:05 PM >

(in reply to Hokum)
Post #: 5
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 2:42:14 PM   
Klydon

I guess I don't know enough of the dangers (or have the confidence with the Japanese) to see many of the issues that others are seeing. The Japanese simply do not start with enough troops in China to put a push on anywhere without leaving over half the theater devoid of troops. This includes bringing in the home island troops as well.

Against the Chi-Coms, you need at least 24 factors to get a crummy 3-1 on the assault table. If you are willing to risk those sorts of attacks early and on a regular basis, then just roll some dice and decide the game that way.

The Nationalists are a bit exposed on the river, but an alternative is to pull them back a bit to the mountains in the north. As long as they provide some flank protection until some more Chi-coms enter the game, then its all good. They have to put some pressure on the Japanese flank early to keep the Japanese from ganging up on the Chi-coms (which is what I see in a lot of AAR's).

Good point on the Hubei, however that nets the Japanese very little strength back (maybe 1 army and a division) while the Chinese save 3-4 units to double stack elsewhere to make it even tougher on the Japanese.

I have been shoving everything I can in the south. With Yamamoto and the two marine units, that is 18 points worth of guys. Granted, this is the first set up I have put a big unit there to start with and perhaps that is part of the key, but it is still very slow going against those 3 guys in the south. Way too easy for the Chinese to play games with Pei river. (I typically send the engineer down to help as well). The Japanese have to maneuver to try to get enough factors to get a good attack and when they finally look like they get set up for it, the Chinese back up a bit causing the Japanese to go through it again. In addition, either the Chinese units are doubled on defense or Japanese air is halved due to the trees and the Japanese almost never get a chance to use full strength of their units because of the river.

In my current game, (May-June 41), I still don't have the resource down south and I don't have Changsha either, although it will soon fall. It doesn't really matter for the Japanese as they are not set at all to do anything as far as land conquest in the Pacific and the US is on the verge of being able to declare war. Japanese resources stand at around 11 points right now, so they are way behind on builds, etc.

I would love to see some of the other set ups out there and I will be tinkering with mine some more, but I guess the Japanese see too many Chinese boogeymen.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 6
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 2:49:51 PM   
Sabre21

I would be pretty happy to see a Chinese setup like that shown above if I was playing the Japanese. They would be out of the picture by the end of the 2nd turn. Chinese in the open die all too easily.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 7
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 3:03:09 PM   
Klydon

Sorry, I don't see it.

Perhaps someone can use this Chinese set up and then show how they would set up the Japanese against it.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 8
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 3:43:32 PM   
vicberg

Because it's spread out, you have to focus as the Japanese. There's quite a few choices. My goal would be to kill 2 pieces an impulse (or more) each turn. A few choice spots and the Chinese will face being surrounded or they will have to retreat and they have crap movement.

In the middle, the 3-2 that's to the northeast of the CH FTR and the 1-3 CH div to the east of Ichang look like juicy targets. The 8 and 6 corp with the 3-2 ARTY can move just to the east of it and attack at 6-1, not including ground support. 2 6 corp and the other ARTY can attack the DIV across the river at 8-1. aTemauchi would rail down to provide supply. Obviously JP fighters would be there to intercept the CH fighter. 2 good attacks, low chance of being flipped and that would cut the chinese forces in two. A couple of low level JP units would provide flank support and insure lines of communication (supply). Let the chinese go into the interior in other places. They will get isolated destroyed. Makes the japanese job easier as chinese in the mountains are tough. Chinese in the open are easy to kill. Chinese production is pathetic and won't be able to keep up with the piece kills. After these attacks, China will have to withdrawl with their pathetic movement rates, or risk being killed in detail. Good chances to get more attacks on single units.

I'd set up the rest in the north, including Umezu and the MOT would move down from Manchuria to attack Sian. First targets are anything that allows 3 hex attacks, so the 2 Communist corp in the mountains, either north or east of Mao. However, those 2 strength CH nationality units across the water are easy targets as well.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 9
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 4:08:07 PM   
vicberg

Actually Terauchi couldn't make it all the way as I notice there's a road and not a rail into the true middle. So I'd start Umezu there and move Terauchi down from Manchuria to the north China front.

There's so many other ways to attack this. Thinking about it some more. I'd do the middle attack as I described in prior post follow by an attack in the North across the Yellow River against the 2-2 MIL that's 2 hexes east of Tungwang (I guess that's the name. Can't see the whole name).

These attacks would
1) Isolate that 3-1 gar to the east of the 2-2 MIL, so that would die next impulse. Force a pull back by the 4-3, 3-3 INF and 3-4 CAV in between my two pincer attacks (middle and north) or risk being cutoff and killed in detail. The 2-4 CAV next to Tungwang would have to withdrawl. I'd eventually get a 4 hex attack against the Lan CHow MIL in the mountain, so it would have to withdrawl without a fight. My JP forces from Japan would move towards Hengyang from Canton and threaten the remaining units around Changsha.

So Chinese forces would be cut into north around Sian, middle around Nanyang and threatened with isolation around Changsha. So China would have to retreat in mass ANYWAY with this defense. Might as well give it all up, as most experienced WIF players do with WIF version of the map and defend the mountains. Won't lose 4-6 pieces in the process.

< Message edited by vicberg -- 12/14/2013 5:11:36 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 10
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 4:20:48 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon
Sorry, I don't see it.
Perhaps someone can use this Chinese set up and then show how they would set up the Japanese against it.

Would it be possible to see a screen shot of the options you currently play with? Different options make for different gambits.

thanks

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 11
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 4:39:37 PM   
vicberg

There aren't really many options that affect China, other than Chinese attack weakness and off-city reinforcements. I play with 2D10, divs, etc., standard stuff. What option would change what gambit here?

The point I'm trying to make is that Japan builds for China for the first year (and longer). So China is going to see more JP troops poring into China, including a probably MECH and/or ARM, which is done also to support a JP attack against Russia. Let China try to flank JP units. Who cares? As long as JP supply lines are maintained, these Chinese units WILL get killed. JP will push along rail lines and China needs to defend in mass to defend against that, much further back and ideally in mountains. It's there only hope. This type of spread out defense will get annihilated.

It takes minimal forces to defend a few rail lines from a flanking move. A JP HQ will draw 3 hexes from a rail line hex and then provide supply for another 4 hex from there. Plenty. The air power (though JP air power land based airplanes are poor compared to everyone else) alone is overwhelming.

The only real problem that I see with this map for JP (barring late game when JP is stretched thin) is partisans. Low level units will have to be held back to prevent a partisan from stopping up a rail line and cutting supply. That can even be mitigated once Changsha falls as there will be multiple lines into that area. Warlords help manage partisans (and keep China alive, but my understanding is that it hasn't been implemented yet). Partisans could be a problem on this map. But I see China's position on this map as being almost worse than the WIF version of the map. Far more terrain to defend. Easy for Japan to stack up and destroy individual pieces.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 12
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 5:06:44 PM   
Centuur

Problem with Chinese units behind enemy lines is that they aren't that easy to kill, especially because of supply. Sure, the Japanese can withdraw an HQ from the frontline, but that is exactly what the Chinese want to happen. Time is ticking away and there is no attack on the Chinese frontline that turn...

Peter

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 13
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 5:19:39 PM   
Klydon

@ Warhunter: Unlimited divisional breakdowns, D10 with blitz option, no oil are the important ones. I do play with most all the optional rules, except for a few, however there are not a lot of them that directly affect the Chinese theater. I do play with the extra Chinese cities.

@ Vicberg: I appreciate your input on this topic. What odds do you call a good attack by the Japanese in this theater? The Lan Chow unit is a load to take out. Again, 24 Japanese factors may be doable for the 3-1, but they risk Mao taking a shot at HQ support and coming up with 32 factors is asking a lot. Attacking the Nationalist units across the river is an option for sure and why I hedged they could be pulled back a bit into the mountains. They need to provide the Chi-Coms flank protection a bit early until the Chi-Coms can get some units coming in. After that, the Nationalists are free to make their way south.

BTW, the 1-3 division is stacked with a 2 point division, so the combat strength is 3 for that hex. Sorry about that.

As far as landing in the south and then heading for Changsa, its tough against those 3 units given the forest, mountains and the Pei river. The Chinese can be outmaneuvered and forced to give ground, but it is just really slow going. Part of this goes back to what is an acceptable attack and where you just say a person is depending more on luck at low odds than anything else.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 14
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 5:26:20 PM   
WarHunter

Vicberg, I appreciate your point of view. Its just that i have a different one.

Before us is a screenshot. There are certainly many things we can take at face value. But there is no certainty as to the options in play. The options you feel are standard, are well your standard.

I dont play with Chinese attack weakness. I do play with off-city reinforcements. I don't play with 2D10. I do play with 1D10 and Blitz bonus. Some other options i play with that are standard for me.

Motorized Movement Rates, Railway Movement, HQ Movement, Variable Reorganization Costs, Scrap Units.

That last one, Scrap units. When scrapping units for Japan, the 2-3 arty is always taken out. I find it a sub-standard arty unit. But there it is in the screenshot. Either scrapping is in and Kyldon, sees the unit as having worth. Or its not in play.

If i'm going to game the Chinese setup, i'd like to recreate it as faithfully as possible. I can oly take it so far though. As the random pick of units will likely never be the same.

As far as breaking down Japanese units, Max 1 corp breakdown at start. Any more is a dilution in power at start.

On face value the weakest point of the Chinese line is the 3-2 army in the center. The Japanese can take a Combined with excellent chances of killing it. From there its just a matter of rolling the Chinese line, as they try and flee to better defensive terrain. And with the anemic movement, that's not so fast. Better to not have the 3-2 in that hex.

One other thing about combat. With the 1D10 we're looking at a 7-1. With the 2D10 we're looking at +14. The chances of the Chinese player picking the Blitz table with the 1D10, never ever. The chances of Getting blitz table with 2D10, is at least a thought of survival.

I just want to know the options in play to make adjustments for my comfort zone. Which is not so comforting to others.

thanks for the conversation.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 15
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 5:33:39 PM   
Klydon

Scrapping is in. I don't typically scrap artillery for the most part at the start of the 39 game. I probably don't use artillery as well as most do in that I will almost never use it to try to disrupt. I use it as an extra attacker and also as a threat in defensive support. To start out with here, it is to occupy the mountain hex to the SE.

I also play with motorized movement, railway movement, HQ movement, but do not play variable reorg.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 16
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 5:39:15 PM   
WarHunter

I'd like to make a note about the Chinese force pool at start.

The Japanese have 3 militia units in play that are near irreplaceable.

Peking, Canton and Shanghai.

If found to be on the front line. These 3 units should be hunted down ruthlessly. Make plans to attack them or encircle. Run them down if in open terrain. Even a bloody exchange should be considered a victory.

Japan can rebuild the loss. The loss of the militia creates vacuum.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 17
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 5:40:39 PM   
vicberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Problem with Chinese units behind enemy lines is that they aren't that easy to kill, especially because of supply. Sure, the Japanese can withdraw an HQ from the frontline, but that is exactly what the Chinese want to happen. Time is ticking away and there is no attack on the Chinese frontline that turn...

You're bringing up a good point. Chinese units behind lines could become a problem with Chinese cities being a supply source. I think a decent JP ZOC defense could keep them at bay for quite a while.

I do wonder if these maps have unbalanced a game in which efforts to balance it have gone on for 20+ years. It takes minimal corp plus guns, etc., to keep China at bay for a long time with standard WIF maps. Is that possible on these maps? Probably not and Japan doesn't have the counters to deal with it. Increasing the size of the maps without an increase in counters could have some unintended affects. These large maps may force JP players to focus on collapsing China or knocking them down to almost no production every game. That may remove some strategic options from Japan. The other side of this is a good JP attack against an early China could create a collapse or reduced production. Won't know until it's played.

The other way to balance these maps might be to not play with the extra cities. Reduced cities may reduce the terrain to defend and the ability for China to run around at will.

On WIF maps, I routinely take 3-2 and might get a 2-1 against a Chinese stack in the mountains. With a flip or two, it's a decent chance to win the battle. On standard maps, taking 1 hex a turn is usually considered a good turn.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 18
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 5:49:10 PM   
vicberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Vicberg, I appreciate your point of view. Its just that i have a different one.

Before us is a screenshot. There are certainly many things we can take at face value. But there is no certainty as to the options in play. The options you feel are standard, are well your standard.

I dont play with Chinese attack weakness. I do play with off-city reinforcements. I don't play with 2D10. I do play with 1D10 and Blitz bonus. Some other options i play with that are standard for me.

Motorized Movement Rates, Railway Movement, HQ Movement, Variable Reorganization Costs, Scrap Units.

That last one, Scrap units. When scrapping units for Japan, the 2-3 arty is always taken out. I find it a sub-standard arty unit. But there it is in the screenshot. Either scrapping is in and Kyldon, sees the unit as having worth. Or its not in play.

If i'm going to game the Chinese setup, i'd like to recreate it as faithfully as possible. I can oly take it so far though. As the random pick of units will likely never be the same.

As far as breaking down Japanese units, Max 1 corp breakdown at start. Any more is a dilution in power at start.

On face value the weakest point of the Chinese line is the 3-2 army in the center. The Japanese can take a Combined with excellent chances of killing it. From there its just a matter of rolling the Chinese line, as they try and flee to better defensive terrain. And with the anemic movement, that's not so fast. Better to not have the 3-2 in that hex.

One other thing about combat. With the 1D10 we're looking at a 7-1. With the 2D10 we're looking at +14. The chances of the Chinese player picking the Blitz table with the 1D10, never ever. The chances of Getting blitz table with 2D10, is at least a thought of survival.

I just want to know the options in play to make adjustments for my comfort zone. Which is not so comforting to others.

thanks for the conversation.

Well, I always choose assault even if playing the Chinese. Blitz can preserve your troops but has a might higher chance of keep JP units face up for combat. Also, units retreat and flip more often, making it easier to kill them. It's a trade off.

I NEVER scrap ARTY because ARTY is never sub-standard. It can ground strike and can ground support it's hex or hexes adjacent to it. It's HUGE.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 19
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 5:55:49 PM   
vicberg

With these maps, I'm wondering if you almost have to play with Chinese Attack Weakness. With standard maps, the Nationalists can start popping off too many attacks too early in the war and help wear the Japanese down. With attack weakness on the standard maps, the war quickly becomes a historical stalemate after the 2 southern resources, Sian and Changsha are secured by the Japanese.

Having this massive front for the Chinese to pore through, playing WITHOUT attack weakness could make them way too strong and completely unbalance the game. Again, time will tell.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 20
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 5:56:06 PM   
WarHunter

I like using Japan's arty for Ground striking. Sure it fails, a lot. It also has as good if not better chance than most aircraft.

Considering air tactical factors range from 1-3. With 3 be very rare. I find arty to be very useful for GS. Especially if using oil option. Its always gonna be a crap shoot. Flipped arty is normally stacked. Those flipped air units are sometimes vulnerable and all alone when the front moves.

The more i think about it, the 2-3 arty is starting to look more appetizing.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 21
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 6:01:19 PM   
vicberg

JP has very few 3 ground strike factor aircraft. Most of their aircraft are 2s or 1s, so the 2 ARTY is just a good. But do you know that ARTY can bombard across a river, meaning it can participate in an attack and it's not halved for attacking across the river if it bombards (which flips it regardless of the outcome of the attack). An arty can also be used for offensive or DEFENSIVE ground support of all hexes adjacent to it. Attack next to an ARTY and that ARTY may combined into the defense of that attack. A 33-11 suddenly becomes a 33-13. That's a 2-1 vs. a 3 -1. Big difference.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 22
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 6:03:54 PM   
Klydon

To me, 2-1 and 3-2 attacks as a matter of some routine is not acceptable odds. You likely won't get flips given the crummy Japanese tactical numbers. (20% chance most of the time). I think most of the time you are better off putting those points into upping your combat total and you would be better off for it either in a increased chance of a fractional odds up or just flat out enough for another odds up.

On a 3:2 with no pluses, the attacker has a 40% chance of losing 2 units and the defender has a 50% chance of taking no losses at all. +1 means a 30% chance of losing 2 units and 40% chance for the defender to suffer no losses.

On a 2:1 with no pluses, the attacker has a 30% chance of losing 2 units and the defender has a 40% chance of no losses. +1, the attacker has a 20% chance of losing 2 units and 30% chance for the defender to lose nothing.

I can't believe the 2D10 table is any better, especially considering the attacker could lose 3 units.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 23
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 6:14:12 PM   
vicberg

On standard maps against a Chinese opponent that runs back to the mountains, 2-1 or 3-2 is about the best you are going to get. The Japanese player focuses on the resources and rail lines in the south, Changsha and Sian as initial objectives.

Generally, you take a hex a turn when the weather cooperates. Everything is focused on that single hex. 4-5 planes ground strike along with ARTY in an attempt to flip the units. There's always HQ support in addition. If things go well, you can get a +8 maybe a +10 against the hex which is a good chance to take the hex, often losing a unit and flipping. By late 40, Japan needs to start focusing on it's overall strategic objectives (attacking Russia along with GE, collapsing CW with IT/GE) and starting moving into a defensive posture unless trying to collapse China. By mid-late 41, Japan needs to start preparing and fortifying it's perimeter against USA, which again can force it to move into a defensive posture.

With these maps, China is less likely to stack up. Can Japan stack up? It needs to get to higher odds, but will it have enough units and protect it's flanks. I'm still not too worried about Chinese units behind lines, at least through 1940, as Japanese reinforcements from the home islands will be coming in to deal with them.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 24
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 7:07:57 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

In my opinion, the Japanese have two goals in China: (1) kill at least 2 Chinese units/turn and (2) take resources away from China for use by Japan. Using a strategic bomber to cut into China's build points is also a possibility - but don't lose the bomber!

If Japan can achieve the first goal, then the Chinese forces keep getting smaller and smaller. Japan should build land units early in the war (with a few, but limited naval builds). Eventually Japan will have some very strong corps on the map that can form up into a fearsome attack force. The fundamental idea here is that Japan strives for numerical superiority in land forces.

As many have said above, Chinese units in the clear are dead meat. In the mountains, all the Chinese units are double in strength. Why wouldn't you want all your units to be twice as strong?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 25
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 7:30:59 PM   
Klydon

Ok, so round two in a initial setup. Chinese abandon the middle and stack up in the south while giving the Chi-coms some support in the north temporarily. Most of the Chinese units that can move are in the extreme north or south.

The Japanese respond with nothing in the middle to speak of, a screen against the Chi-coms to be augmented by the motorized infantry and HQ coming in from Manchuria and probably a army from the south as soon as possible. The 1-4 infantry division and 1-4 Marine are to flip hexes in order to open up the rail lines north and south. I went through and did a count. The Japanese start with around 60 combat factors in theater with 20 or so more coming from Japan and another 10 coming over the border from Manchura.

In this plan, the Japanese are looking to make a huge push in the south (why they started the 8-3 infantry in Canton). The opening Japanese attack will be on the mountains just west of Changsha. This will be a tough nut to crack as it has 10 points worth of defense. The Japanese have 35 points worth of attackers that will be brought to bear along with a pile of air. The Chinese fighter is around, but the Japanese can bring both theirs to the party. There is enough to take a crack at a ground strike and to pile up the combat totals so that a 4-1 straight up or a 4-1 +1 is possible. The Japanese only have a 10% chance of losing 2 units and a 60% chance straight up (or 70% chance with a +1) to take the hex.

In retrospect, I would place a unit to the west of the mountains; with the knowledge I may lose it, or swap in a 4 point army with the 2 point divisional to give the defenders 12 on defense. Oh well.

At any rate, I don't know that I like this Chinese setup any better than the last one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 26
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/14/2013 10:38:43 PM   
alexvand

Definitely better than the first one.

I'd put that 5-3 in the south in the mountain hex to the west. It still ZOCs the rail line so the Japanese can't use it, but now you're doubled.

Defend ChangSha. It's critical. Stick both of the Garrisons in there and throw in a third unit. (The gun or the div.) The Japanese cannot advance easily without Changsha. The longer you hold it the better. (I tried to attack through the south without ChangSha and supply for the Japanese is terrible.)

Get the 4-3 in the south out of the forest and put it in a mountain. Get those factors doubled.

At least that's my take. I've only run two solitaire games so far and still don't have this map worked out.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 27
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/15/2013 2:49:21 PM   
vicberg

I'm not sure if this is an issue within MWIF, but the China has already been at war with Japan for years, so their MIL units can start anywhere. They don't have to start on their respective cities. It's also why China has 3 MIL units for cities already conquered by the Japanese. So that MIL in Kumming (far south) isn't doing anything. If the Japanese want to invade Pakhoi and move up from there, you'll have time to respond and it won't get them much.

JP will need the rail line through Hengyang to use both resources. In the south, I'd put the 5-3 and 4-3 where the 3-3 current is and stack the 3-3 and 2-2 MIL to the hex southeast of Kweilin (west of where the 5-3 and 4-3 should be). You'll be able to build or rail a unit into Kweilin to hold your flank and supply source. That will provide 18 points of defense with the 5-3 and 4-3 directly in the route of advance and another 10 points of defense to guard it's flank. If JP tries to flank to the west of this, it will take time and he'll have to maintain supply and you'll have time to respond. If he goes straight up to Hengyang, he'll have to attack it. I'd put a division on the 5-3, 4-3 stack as well and that will secure your south as best as possible.

In the middle, I'd abandon Changsha and stack everything on the hex to the WEST of Changsha protected by the Yangtsu (spelling?) river and the hex where the 3-1 GAR currently is and the 3rd hex northwest of the 3-1 GAR where the INF DIV is. These 3 hexes are all protected by river. If I have an extra unit, I'd put it to the southwest of Ichang (where that 4-2) is to protect the northern flank.

In the north, I'd place the 7-3 and 4-2 lan chow MIL in the mountain hex to the east of Sian. I'd place Mao Mao 1 hex to the northeast of Sian, protected by river and a single hex attack against it. And I'd place the remaining 2 units 2 hexes northeast of Sian, where the 4-1 GAR is. For the Japanese to attack this will require moving into mountains and flipping, so there isn't going to be any quick assaults. I'm not sure yet, but those 2 Nationalist units might not even be needed.

There's huge sections of terrain that you don't even need to worry about, such as the area around Nanyang and all terrain west of that. Japan isn't going that way as it requires way too many HQ and gets them nada.

The initial goal of China is to protect units. You should be willing to give up Changsha and Sian as well as the southern resource hexes if things look bad. You do want to make it a fight though. By stacking up, you are protecting your units and you are forcing Japan to commit to an area. They don't have enough initially to push everywhere. You'll be building and reinforcing. So give terrain if needed to buy time. Time is on the Chinese side.

< Message edited by vicberg -- 12/15/2013 3:50:44 PM >

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 28
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/15/2013 2:59:14 PM   
vicberg

I'm changing this second post because the south is very interesting. Honestly, Kweilin and the area northwest of it can be left undefended because it will take a JP HQ and long time to march that direction and without Hengyang is pretty much useless.

Hengyang is the key to the south and also protects the middle. I'm torn on where to stack up the chinese because the Japanese can flank anything that's too forward. But it's also a bummer to give up such nice terrain. I'm wondering if I'd place the 5-3 and 4-3 and div to the moutain hex to the WEST of Hengyan. The 3-3 and 2-2 MIL to the mountain hex Northwest of Hengyang to help complete the defense of the Yangtzu river and link with the middle. Bring the 2 nationalist units from the north to defend the middle. Then build around Kweillin, etc., to threaten the Japanese flanks, or Changsha to help defend the middle.

< Message edited by vicberg -- 12/15/2013 4:20:24 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 29
RE: Chinese map and Japanese set up - 12/16/2013 1:06:02 AM   
Majorball68

Better to defend fwd as much as possible. Should get ZOC on Canton in the south with the 4-3 behind the river. You only have to retreat back when there is a threat of being eliminated. Japs only have limited ground strike capabilities early so even with a ground strike stops the 4-3 retreating back its going to take a little time for the Japs to assemble the firepower to kill it. The 5-3 is exposed and risks getting destroyed first impulse. Chengchow in the north should be defend as long as the risks to units protecting the flanks is limited. The Chinese Communists can help protect the rive line to the west of Chengchow. Same situation here when faced with elimination fall back however force an attack on the city. Changsha can be defended from the first river line better than the second. Force the Japs to attack or push around the sides. When they do just fall back to the next river. I like to defend all the mountains forward as possible and just fall back when the risk of elimination is greatest or leave it in the Mountain if you need time to reorganize.

Make use of ZOC to limit advances to 1 hex at a time. Its a mistake to give up ground for nothing. Even a Corps in the mountains on the coast at CHEKIANG forces the Japs to either deploy forces here to kill them or garrision the port to protect the rail lines. Its hard for the Japs to flip units in mountains so attacking double strength units requires significant firepower unless they are prepared to do risky rolls which will inflict costly damage on the Japs.

An early capture of the port Pakhoi in the south can stretch the Chinese thin and there is a resource the Japs can stop the Chinese getting very early.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> The War Room >> Chinese map and Japanese set up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI