Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Graphics Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> Graphics Help Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Graphics Help - 12/16/2013 5:46:50 PM   
Peeking Duck?

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone might be able to answer a couple of graphics related questions?

1. I would like to change the look/colours of the forms for each country. Is this possible? If so, can you point me in the right direction?

2. I would also like to change the primary colour for certain country's counters. For instance I would like to make the British a Khaki colour, etc. Possible?

Cheers,
Peeking

Post #: 1
RE: Graphics Help - 12/16/2013 9:40:34 PM   
Peeking Duck?

Nevermind. Sorted.

(in reply to Peeking Duck?)
Post #: 2
RE: Graphics Help - 1/2/2014 8:04:21 PM   
Derne

How about sharing your insights with the rest of us?

Post #: 3
RE: Graphics Help - 1/25/2014 6:07:25 AM   
AxelNL

In the bitmaps folder there are files with counters. The 'page' files are just like countersheets waiting to be punched. If you change the main colour per counter the results is like below (I only changed page08.bmp)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 1/25/2014 10:57:16 AM >

(in reply to Derne)
Post #: 4
RE: Graphics Help - 1/25/2014 9:46:54 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

In the bitmaps folder there are files with counters. The 'page' files are just like countersheets waiting to be punched. If you chance the main colour per counter the results is like below (I only changed page08.bmp)

That looks very nice.

But I'll stay with the original colours or I will be confused and make silly mistakes.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 5
RE: Graphics Help - 1/26/2014 3:20:07 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

In the bitmaps folder there are files with counters. The 'page' files are just like countersheets waiting to be punched. If you change the main colour per counter the results is like below (I only changed page08.bmp)

It is difficult to change the colors for the air and naval counters. That's because the originals are anti-aliased - which means the colors around the plane and ship images are modified depending on the unit's background color. The easiest way to see the differences is to replace the background color with white and black. The graphics artist who created the ones used in MWIF (taken from WIF FE) had the original plane and ship images and then ran an anti-aliasing routine for the given background color.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 6
RE: Graphics Help - 1/26/2014 3:21:54 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

For land units, the colors are defined for each country. See the appendices in Players Manual volume 2 for the details concerning that.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 7
RE: Graphics Help - 1/26/2014 11:21:10 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

For land units, the colors are defined for each country. See the appendices in Players Manual volume 2 for the details concerning that.

I understand why Khaki in Flames was released. Dark blue is a bit strenuous for the eyes. I still might change only the colours for the ships and planes in the future for that reason. Will accept the aliasing which will occur. CW does not have that many land units.....

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 8
RE: Graphics Help - 1/26/2014 1:00:51 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I understand why Khaki in Flames was released. Dark blue is a bit strenuous for the eyes. I still might change only the colours for the ships and planes in the future for that reason. Will accept the aliasing which will occur. CW does not have that many land units.....

Is see what you mean. See screenshot. Air units are no problem, not that many of the naval units have this actually.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 9
RE: Graphics Help - 1/26/2014 1:13:09 PM   
AxelNL

and the final result:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 10
RE: Graphics Help - 1/26/2014 2:08:46 PM   
Shellshock

Good work! Nothing says wartime Britain like Khaki.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 11
RE: Graphics Help - 1/26/2014 4:16:06 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

and the final result:

You have done some fine work there. I like the border effect. Makes me consider looking into changing the color ever so slightly for all the nations. Just to make the Air and Naval stand out from the ground units.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 12
RE: Graphics Help - 1/26/2014 4:21:13 PM   
AxelNL

I like the border effect as well - but did not plan this. Was not visible in the pool screenshot I took the first time. Suddenly appeared.
Gives a sophisticated effect, and reminds you they are Commonwealth units.
The Anti-Aliasing Steve mentioned is quickly brushed away for the most important units, like the Convoys.
For betatesting I will continue using the old colours - not wanting to bring Steve in confusion - but for normal purposes I think I will stick with these colours.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 13
RE: Graphics Help - 1/26/2014 5:48:13 PM   
Centuur

quote:

I like the border effect as well - but did not plan this. Was not visible in the pool screenshot I took the first time. Suddenly appeared.
Gives a sophisticated effect, and reminds you they are Commonwealth units.
The Anti-Aliasing Steve mentioned is quickly brushed away for the most important units, like the Convoys.
For betatesting I will continue using the old colours - not wanting to bring Steve in confusion - but for normal purposes I think I will stick with these colours.

I don't like that colour. Since I'm partially colourblind, I'm heaving problems locating the British now. The background of clear (and probably also desert hexes) seems to me to have the same colour as the background of the units. I only sea a small square, the symbol and the numbers...

Peter

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 14
RE: Graphics Help - 2/28/2014 10:25:09 AM   
Ichirou989

I have to say that I do like this idea having seen the Khaki in Flames counters in actual use at our local game store. I found that at least for me, it was both easier on the eyes and seemed more appropriate for the CW, and that's despite the fact that I've been used to them being in blue all these years. It would be nice to see this set as a mod or an option in game, thus allowing those who are colorblind to still use the original colors.

A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune.

Post #: 15
RE: Graphics Help - 3/1/2014 8:46:09 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ichirou989

I have to say that I do like this idea having seen the Khaki in Flames counters in actual use at our local game store. I found that at least for me, it was both easier on the eyes and seemed more appropriate for the CW, and that's despite the fact that I've been used to them being in blue all these years. It would be nice to see this set as a mod or an option in game, thus allowing those who are colorblind to still use the original colors.

I can put the changed data files I have here if you are interested. As I was mucking about, I was not so secure in selecting exactly the same khaki color for each file, so it can be done much better. Besides that, we cannot change the color of the grounds units.
If you still want them, I will post them.

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 16
RE: Graphics Help - 3/4/2014 7:45:11 AM   
Ichirou989

Thank you for offering, that would be great as I really do like Khaki for the British.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 17
RE: Graphics Help - 3/4/2014 1:14:01 PM   
Dabrion

This is khaki colour I use for the vassal module: #EDD1AA (http://www.color-hex.com/color/edd1aa).

Changing the page bitmaps has to be done using a graphics editor (like GIMP), like explained.
Changing the ground units is done in the "../Data/Map Data/Standard Map C{Ma|Mi}.CSV" files.

To change British unit to Khaki do:
1) open the CMa.CSV file with a text editor.
2) look for the string "$00D09000" and change it into "$00AAD1ED"
3) open the CMa.CSV file with a text editor.
4) look for all the CW nations and change the first appearance of the string "$00D09000" on the line into "$00AAD1ED"
Done.

You prolly want to read about the other field and change the colours for the symbol interiors and text on the counters to meet the colour schema.

Be advised that white print text has bad contrast on khaki! The print counter solve this by a outlined font (https://sites.google.com/site/frenchwifpage/home/world-in-flames-final-edition/counter-lists/gallery-of-countersheets/cs43-kif-history). Not sure how this could/should be addressed in MWiF

< Message edited by Dabrion -- 3/4/2014 2:21:31 PM >

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 18
RE: Graphics Help - 3/4/2014 7:53:31 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ichirou989

Thank you for offering, that would be great as I really do like Khaki for the British.

Somewhere this week I will find the time again to post them. Depends a bit on how this patch behaves. Reading the posts since it was released are promising until now.

I would have challenged Dabrion to do a better job than me, but that would be too easy bait for him

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 19
RE: Graphics Help - 3/4/2014 9:20:23 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion
This is khaki colour I use for the vassal module: #EDD1AA (http://www.color-hex.com/color/edd1aa).
Changing the page bitmaps has to be done using a graphics editor (like GIMP), like explained.
Changing the ground units is done in the "../Data/Map Data/Standard Map C{Ma|Mi}.CSV" files.
To change British unit to Khaki do:
1) open the CMa.CSV file with a text editor.
2) look for the string "$00D09000" and change it into "$00AAD1ED"
3) open the CMa.CSV file with a text editor.
4) look for all the CW nations and change the first appearance of the string "$00D09000" on the line into "$00AAD1ED" Done.
You prolly want to read about the other field and change the colours for the symbol interiors and text on the counters to meet the colour schema.
Be advised that white print text has bad contrast on khaki! The print counter solve this by a outlined font (https://sites.google.com/site/frenchwifpage/home/world-in-flames-final-edition/counter-lists/gallery-of-countersheets/cs43-kif-history). Not sure how this could/should be addressed in MWiF

So if i follow this set of instructions. I can change all the units in the CW Land force pool to Khaki?
"$00AAD1ED" is the code for the color Khaki?
Where do i find a list of codes and colors?

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 20
RE: Graphics Help - 3/4/2014 10:33:55 PM   
Dabrion

I don't know if there is a definitive colour code for khaki. This is the one I find works well for the ADG maps (disclaimer: I am colour blind).

For a list of colours, have you tried the link from my post? You will have to find matching colours for the symbol interior backgrounds and fonts. A good star would be the scan on Patrice's website. The pipette tool from a graphics editor can be used to extract colour codes from anywhere on your screen.

The colour codes you extract wit the pipette tool will be in RGB encoding and look like #RrGgBb. For some reason MWiF expects ABGR encoding, so you will have to write $00BbGgRr into the files. You prolly want to read PM2, p198ff to understand the format of the CSV files better. I believe there is a flag that switches to the outlined white, don't recall the details.

Preliminary result looks like this (you can already see that there are some issues and another khaki would be more suitable for the MWiF maps as they have different contrast/saturation values than the ADG maps):

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Dabrion -- 3/4/2014 11:38:36 PM >

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 21
RE: Graphics Help - 3/5/2014 6:28:51 AM   
AxelNL

Guys, it looks like I will not have to post anything if this evolves as it goes.

I also experimented with the Khaki colour, and settled on a darker one, to have more contrast with the whiteprint numbers. You can tell the difference in the screenshot I posted above. Around Londen there are three units with different shades of Khaki. I think I like the bottom right most. (I am not color blind). I can look up with exact setting those were made. The color of the transport might even be better, but it already gets a bit too dark.

Dabrion - thank you for your contribution. Although something tells me you don't like compliments.

Warhunter - I am expecting yet another mod which will blow us off our feet. You will receive a medal for this one from the beta community, I will personnally follow that through.

(and now you feel also the pressure under which Steve is working )

Edit: typo's and stuff

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/5/2014 7:40:25 AM >

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 22
RE: Graphics Help - 3/5/2014 7:25:04 AM   
Ichirou989

Thanks for all the good info here, I will see what I can come up with myself. Just for further info, the html/css color code for Khaki is #C3B091, which would be 0091B0C3 according the info Dabrion provided, however it does seem that ADG used Light Khaki for their counters, which my pipette in Photoshop lists as #fee5a9 or 00A9E5FE. Good point made about the text though for elite units. However some nations such as China or Yugoslavia have units with black outlined text for elites, so perhaps some digging will allow that format to be used with the CW units. Time to do some exploring.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 23
RE: Graphics Help - 3/5/2014 8:52:51 AM   
Centuur

quote:

I don't know if there is a definitive colour code for khaki. This is the one I find works well for the ADG maps (disclaimer: I am colour blind).

For a list of colours, have you tried the link from my post? You will have to find matching colours for the symbol interior backgrounds and fonts. A good star would be the scan on Patrice's website. The pipette tool from a graphics editor can be used to extract colour codes from anywhere on your screen.

The colour codes you extract wit the pipette tool will be in RGB encoding and look like #RrGgBb. For some reason MWiF expects ABGR encoding, so you will have to write $00BbGgRr into the files. You prolly want to read PM2, p198ff to understand the format of the CSV files better. I believe there is a flag that switches to the outlined white, don't recall the details.

Preliminary result looks like this (you can already see that there are some issues and another khaki would be more suitable for the MWiF maps as they have different contrast/saturation values than the ADG maps):

Sorry, but for a colourblind, these counters are awful, since I can't read the white letters...

For the MOT (second counter in the row), I only see a square with a cross in it and two dots underneath...

Peter

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 24
RE: Graphics Help - 3/5/2014 9:05:26 AM   
Dabrion

I am color blind myself ;) So I cant help with tuning the colour schema, just wanted to point out how it is done since I came across it recently.

Also this a modding, so you do not have to use it. And I am rather certain you can find the switches that render the CW counters with the same settings like the Chinese counters, or render everything in pink. Documentations in the PM2, p.198ff is almost accurate, shouldn't be too hard to work out.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 25
RE: Graphics Help - 3/5/2014 9:11:11 AM   
Centuur

quote:

I am color blind myself ;) So I cant help with tuning the colour schema, just wanted to point out how it is done since I came across it recently.

Also this a modding, so you do not have to use it. And I am rather certain you can find the switches that render the CW counters with the same settings like the Chinese counters, or render everything in pink. Documentations in the PM2, p.198ff is almost accurate, shouldn't be too hard to work out.

True... But dealing with the colorblind has been done quite well in MWIF. I've only got very minor issues with the program as it is at the moment regarding the use of colors.

Peter

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 26
RE: Graphics Help - 3/5/2014 1:43:19 PM   
YellowNo5

I am a newbie (Just bought the game and am learning it) but I love the Khaki. I would like to see how it looks on a map especially if you can outline the white numbers. IF anyone can get this to work could you PM me with how you did it?

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 27
RE: Graphics Help - 3/5/2014 2:10:01 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: YellowNo5

I am a newbie (Just bought the game and am learning it) but I love the Khaki. I would like to see how it looks on a map especially if you can outline the white numbers. IF anyone can get this to work could you PM me with how you did it?

Scroll back in this thread, and you will see a screenshot of how it will look. It looks like two 'modders' are working to get this mod from the ground. I am sure they will share their results.

Welcome!

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/5/2014 3:10:46 PM >

(in reply to YellowNo5)
Post #: 28
RE: Graphics Help - 3/5/2014 3:46:59 PM   
WarHunter

Thanks for the help Dabrion.

Next question involves a screenshot. What exactly if anything can be done about the code that is written, clRed, clBlack, clYellow?

Trying to change Japan's Red land counters have been met with utter failure.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 29
RE: Graphics Help - 3/5/2014 3:54:31 PM   
WarHunter

My brain is feeding quite happily on this new information.

So far as an experiment Italy has been transformed from sick yellowish to Imperial Purple. Well, close enough for the 1st try.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> Graphics Help Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI