Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vanishing Pilots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Vanishing Pilots Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vanishing Pilots - 12/17/2013 4:43:57 PM   
Gridley380

OK, I'm in April '45, playing Babes as the Allies. In the last few weeks of game time I've noticed both pilots who were active dropping into reserve, and pilots dropping out entirely and leaving me unable to bring groups back up to strength (technically overstrength, but hey...).

My pilot pools are plentiful.

Example: I have a bunch of groups in 100% training, good experience already but trying to put a little polish on. Squadron size is 36, and on Day 1 I have 36 planes, 48 pilots. I cycle the turn and on Day 2 suddenly I have only 46 pilots; sometimes two have dropped into reserve but sometime they're just gone and I can't add more (no aircraft losses or pilot casualties and the group is still size 36, they're just wandering off).

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas how to fix it?
Post #: 1
RE: Vanishing Pilots - 12/18/2013 12:52:36 AM   
jcjordan

Sounds like you've got the out of pilot slots error due to way too many pilots & not enough slots in the pilot array that happens late war. What version are you using? Stock or Beta? At one point of the betas there was difference in pilot array sizes so you had to know which you were using as you couldn't switch between the 2 but the current Betas are now of the new larger pilot array.

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 2
RE: Vanishing Pilots - 12/18/2013 1:54:29 AM   
geofflambert

I don't know if they end up in Area 51, but there is something else players should be wary of. On a number of occasions I have ordered veterans to transfer from the reserve to a squadron, they turned out to be immediately available but before I activated them I also drew one or more replacement pilots/crews. The pilots with a delay of 1 just disappear. I don't know if they totally vaporized or not since I didn't record their names beforehand and haven't done a simulation to find out.

To recap, if you have pilots available to be activated in the group, but before you do that you draw some pilots from the replacement pool, the vet pilots in queue to be activated disappear. That's what has always happened to me when I did it, and I try mightily not to do it again, but even the most basic mistakes you can make draw me like the sirens drew Odysseus' crew to their end, again and again.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/18/2013 2:56:31 AM >

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 3
RE: Vanishing Pilots - 12/18/2013 11:01:02 AM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Sounds like you've got the out of pilot slots error due to way too many pilots & not enough slots in the pilot array that happens late war. What version are you using? Stock or Beta? At one point of the betas there was difference in pilot array sizes so you had to know which you were using as you couldn't switch between the 2 but the current Betas are now of the new larger pilot array.

Version 1.0.6.1108r9

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 4
RE: Vanishing Pilots - 12/18/2013 9:57:37 PM   
jcjordan

I think that version is after the time when Michael went w/ the MP version as std beta rather than having a MP (Max Pilot Array)& regular version. Not sure but you might want to pm him to ask to be sure unless someone answers definitively. You could try culling your reserve pilot pools as it's all the pilots in active units w/ those in the reserve/training command/yet to arrive group pools that use the pilot array & normally created this problem late war for allies as that side had so many more units than IJ side. Those pilots that show in the pilot pool, those who have graduated or are still in the 3/6/9mo pools don't count. If you use Tracker, it will show pilot totals so you might be able to gather from that if you're hitting the max pilots.

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 5
RE: Vanishing Pilots - 12/18/2013 11:32:51 PM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I don't know if they end up in Area 51, but there is something else players should be wary of. On a number of occasions I have ordered veterans to transfer from the reserve to a squadron, they turned out to be immediately available but before I activated them I also drew one or more replacement pilots/crews. The pilots with a delay of 1 just disappear. I don't know if they totally vaporized or not since I didn't record their names beforehand and haven't done a simulation to find out.

To recap, if you have pilots available to be activated in the group, but before you do that you draw some pilots from the replacement pool, the vet pilots in queue to be activated disappear. That's what has always happened to me when I did it, and I try mightily not to do it again, but even the most basic mistakes you can make draw me like the sirens drew Odysseus' crew to their end, again and again.

At least as of the last official patch, that isn't what I've observed. What happens when you click the get pilot button is that it activates an available group reserve pilot in preference to pulling a new pilot.

For example, if you see the ready pilots as
25(2)
and have the "get pilots source" set to "replacement"

and click "get pilot" you will now see 26(1)
One of the two group reserve pilots have moved to active. No pilot was pulled from "replacement". The "get pilots" won't start coming from the external source until all pilots with a delay of "1" are activated.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Vanishing Pilots Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI