Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Warhammer 40k race mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Warhammer 40k race mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warhammer 40k race mod - 12/22/2013 8:55:54 PM   
drmario89

I know that there was once a 40k mod for legends, but from what I read here in the forums it doesn't look like it was ever finished. I currently have a monumental amount of time on my hands, so I would like to try and do one for Shadows. I think there is a modding expansion on the way, which has caused me to be hesitant about starting before its release, but I've grown a bit bored. However, I lack the art and image editing skills to add troop and ship images that would be appropriate for each race.

I guess my point in posting this is to ask if anyone else would be interested in such a mod, as I intend to make it for myself anyways. Because of the nature of some of the races(orks, tyranids), I doubt the mod will be balanced in terms of game play and difficulty.

And of course, any and all input would be very welcome.
Post #: 1
RE: Warhammer 40k race mod - 12/23/2013 5:50:00 PM   
Solarius Scorch

I'd certainly be very interested in this mod. I quite like the setting, but the most exciting thing about your project is that it'd totally change the mood of the game. So yes, I would play it!
As for the artworks, it's not that hard, you just need some official or fan art to cut the required pieces from and (and it would be nice to notify the author too). Ships will be more problematic, but I guess you could look for some Battlefleet Gothic props.

Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

(in reply to drmario89)
Post #: 2
RE: Warhammer 40k race mod - 12/23/2013 10:44:05 PM   
HectorOfTroy

Yeah, I would be interested. Why would it be unbalanced with Orks and Tyranids?

(in reply to Solarius Scorch)
Post #: 3
RE: Warhammer 40k race mod - 12/23/2013 11:14:20 PM   
drmario89

The reason I thought that Orks and Nids would be unbalanced was mainly because of their extremely fast growth rate, which would result in huge populations meaning lots of taxes and big money. Since orks and tyranids pay taxes and all lol. Plus their strong troops and faster colonization research. That's just what I was planning on doing with them. They may end up being perfectly balanced once everything is said and done, so who knows?

I've also run into a bit of a problem regarding the races that would be all about extermination policies... Apparently your people hate it when alien populations are being exterminated at the colony where they live. This is clearly heretical, but I don't think they care. People also care too much about their empire's reputation, meaning bombardments would cut down on happiness. These two things make it difficult to really get a good 40k atmosphere going, so I'm hoping that in the near future we will be able to monkey around with stuff like that.

There is some good news though. I did find some excellent pictures for Imperium and Necron warships here in the modding section of the forums, as well as flag shapes for the Imperium, Dark Eldar, and Tau. So there's that.

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 4
RE: Warhammer 40k race mod - 12/24/2013 6:48:49 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

Tyrannids are the classic world devouring bugs from SF. They hit a world, the world becomes more 'Nid fleets. Leaving behind a much smaller, airless husk. That and dealing with say Genestealer Cult infiltration... tough to code to say the least. One of my favorite forces. :)

Orks otoh, will have a high growth rate sure, but otherwise can be shoehorned into classic tech trees.

To do a 40K full conversion would likely require a major rework of the tech trees as the Human/Chaos, Eldar, Orks, Necrons and 'nids to say the least have few techs in common. The Tau would feel the most normal in the DW terms.

(in reply to drmario89)
Post #: 5
RE: Warhammer 40k race mod - 12/24/2013 1:24:37 PM   
Solarius Scorch

Also, there is virtually no tech advancement for most forces, even on large time scales. A notable exception are Tau and perhaps Orks, in a way.

Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Warhammer 40k race mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI