Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Adware alert!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Adware alert! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 1:33:35 PM   
Kuokkanen

I bought & downloaded Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem. AVG AntiVirus FREE gives me warning about it with following details:
Threat: Adware Generic5.AGSX
Object name: CCLastStandArnhem-SetupRelease-v56051.exe
Severity: Medium
State: Infected
Identified by: Resident Shield

Has server hosting Matrix Games files been infected? Or does Matrix Games intentionally spread adware? Or is this false alert?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Post #: 1
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 2:00:52 PM   
sweeteye

I just got an adware infection in the last few days...have no idea where it came from.For me its just another strike in favor of shutting off the internet....Will have to reformat my pc again for the 1000th time...

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 2:29:27 PM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Has server hosting Matrix Games files been infected? Or does Matrix Games intentionally spread adware? Or is this false alert?

Maybe you should ask the Help Desk by opening a ticket?

Flipper

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 3
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 2:59:25 PM   
aaatoysandmore

You guys should get MalwareBytes at Malwarebytes.com I think it were. Amazing what this lil program finds that some of the majors never find and it's free as well. Another good save me from reformatting is called Unhackme. It also finds and deletes some major trojans and malware. I took AVG totally off my system about 3 years ago. I now run Malwarebytes, Unhackme and Microsoft Essentials. Of course one will never know if you got them all. Even if you use the best 3.

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 4
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 3:02:09 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Maybe you should ask the Help Desk by opening a ticket?

Done, and thanks.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 5
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 3:20:55 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

You guys should get MalwareBytes at Malwarebytes.com I think it were. Amazing what this lil program finds that some of the majors never find and it's free as well. Another good save me from reformatting is called Unhackme. It also finds and deletes some major trojans and malware. I took AVG totally off my system about 3 years ago. I now run Malwarebytes, Unhackme and Microsoft Essentials. Of course one will never know if you got them all. Even if you use the best 3.

+1 on the malwarebytes.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 6
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 4:59:37 PM   
VPaulus

Hi Matti Kuokkanen,

Our software is thoroughly checked before we distribute it. Unfortunately you're being a victim of a AVG's false positive. A false positive occurs when the Anti-virus software mistakenly flags an innocent file as being infected.

http://www.securelist.com/en/glossary?glossid=153654932

@aaatoysandmore and Missouri_Rebel
I use MalwareBytes to scan for malware, but for me the best anti-virus is NOD32. It's a low footprint antivirus, not much aggressive, no false positives that I recall, and I feel safe. :)

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 12/28/2013 5:59:54 PM >

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 7
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 5:57:01 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

Our software is thoroughly checked before we distribute it. Unfortunately you're being a victim of a AVG's false positive. A false positive occurs when the Anti-virus software mistakenly flags an innocent file as being infected

But how is a user to know this for sure. Anyone can claim that the issue is a false positive but there's not an instant way of finding out. I normally don't trust anything that comes up a virus unless the actual virus protector tell's me they made a mistake. I found one  on Montjoli that actually turned out to be a virus from the place I got it from. Some places just do not seem to check as well as others for distribution viruses. And don't try to say you thouroughly check all your software because once again that's what I would expect a distributor to say.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 8
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 6:07:34 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

quote:

Our software is thoroughly checked before we distribute it. Unfortunately you're being a victim of a AVG's false positive. A false positive occurs when the Anti-virus software mistakenly flags an innocent file as being infected

But how is a user to know this for sure. Anyone can claim that the issue is a false positive but there's not an instant way of finding out. I normally don't trust anything that comes up a virus unless the actual virus protector tell's me they made a mistake. I found one  on Montjoli that actually turned out to be a virus from the place I got it from. Some places just do not seem to check as well as others for distribution viruses. And don't try to say you thouroughly check all your software because once again that's what I would expect a distributor to say.

If you are claiming that we are in some way deliberately distributing software with malware attached, then frankly you better have some proof to back up your assertion. False positives from AV software are a painful fact of life for all developers. If you get a file flagged in this way, then a good idea is to use one of the many online AV packages to run a second-opinion check; or, as has been suggested, something like Malaware can also do another check.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

Post #: 9
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 6:53:02 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Not deliberately, but a lot of hands touch your software on the way to consumers how do you know someone else isn't touching it in a suspicious way? Tell me is Plimus so secure it can't be hacked in some way? Look what just happend with Target customers credit cards and that information was suppose to have the highest security also. Anything at just about any time can be hacked or malicious. I don't trust words anymore.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 10
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 8:53:18 PM   
Chijohnaok2

quote:

Not deliberately, but a lot of hands touch your software on the way to consumers how do you know someone else isn't touching it in a suspicious way? Tell me is Plimus so secure it can't be hacked in some way? Look what just happend with Target customers credit cards and that information was suppose to have the highest security also. Anything at just about any time can be hacked or malicious. I don't trust words anymore.

If you don't trust it, then don't download it---buyer beware.

If we want to be completely, 100% without a doubt, absolutely positively sure of not downloading malware, then I suggest that you disconnect you computer from the internet and never ever again insert a disk, thumbdrive, etc. into your computer.

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.

Post #: 11
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 8:57:48 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

This is not the first, or even second, time you have said something like this. Target was not hacked, it's data link was. And nothing was injected into the data stream.

I can understand peoples security concerns. And I am not trying to talk you down, honest. But learn about what you are talking about before you throw mud. For instance, a Bing search of the term False Positive will give you a better understanding of what is being said, rather than quickly flipping out serious, if albeit uneducated, accusations.

Post #: 12
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 8:58:49 PM   
Rising-Sun

Yup they or someone is playing strings with you, some softwares like remove adware, malware or any other virus remover will have some kinda blackmail against you. That how they make profits by scamming you. All i can stay becareful what you download and what site you visit. I remember seeing a video that i wanted to see and wante to update my adobe driver up, it wanted to plant virus on my pc because the version number didnt match.

So becareful out there guys.

(in reply to Chijohnaok2)
Post #: 13
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 9:14:41 PM   
aaatoysandmore

There's so much spyware and ads and things I don't want on my computer you're probably right...just disconnect from the internet. I remember the good ole days when we didn't have those worries. Of course there still was credit card fraud. But, man everytime you turn around there's a new virus and a new data file to download to search for them. I get updates to Windows and malware bytes all the time. And yes I often wonder if virus protection companies don't write their own viruses just to sell their product. Surely I'm not the only one paranoid this way? You guys never thought of that?

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 14
RE: Adware alert! - 12/28/2013 11:08:41 PM   
Rosseau

My local computer fix-it shop would be out of business next month without malware

Post #: 15
RE: Adware alert! - 12/29/2013 7:52:56 AM   
Rising-Sun

Well if you have the skills and backup on those drivers and OS, you can do it yourself. Most programs cant seem to fix the problems, so every time you logon on the internet, the hidden sites are still trying to upload to your pc. Best thing to do is to format your hd and start over fresh, but this is for advance users though. Go pick up some books on how to, would be hellva alot cheaper than going to places for having them to fix it for you.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 16
RE: Adware alert! - 12/29/2013 5:23:06 PM   
Jevhaddah

If I get what appears to be a false positive from one piece of software, I check again using another malware program. The two I use are Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D. I then pop over to the malware program distribution sites to see what if any false positves have been reported.

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 17
RE: Adware alert! - 12/30/2013 1:07:58 PM   
Max 86

All I can add is that I have been buying games from these guys (Matrix) for over 10 years and I have never gotten any malware/virus/trojan from any of their files. Never, not one time! Take it for what its worth.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 18
RE: Adware alert! - 12/30/2013 2:01:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

My local computer fix-it shop would be out of business next month without malware

They could try Linux

My sister and then the pre-teen nephew were constantly harassing me... I had to regularly fix their computers because of the many cyber sh** on their computers. Then one day I said enough is enough!

I got rid of XP and installed Linux Ubuntu on their laptops. Same thing with the 8 year old niece's laptop (she's still using it).

End of the problem. They never ever called me again to fix their 'puters

XP was the bloody virus itself!

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 19
RE: Adware alert! - 12/30/2013 2:32:56 PM   
DerTroof

AVG is more trouble than it's worth. It also conflicts with iTunes and messed up my digital music collection by randomly deleting files (fortunately I had backed it up).

As others have posted, malwarebytes is a much better way to deal with malware.

And to counter some of the baseless speculation on this thread, I have downloaded approx. 20 games from Matrix/Plimus over the last few years with zero security issues.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 20
RE: Adware alert! - 12/30/2013 3:37:32 PM   
Toby42

I've been buying and/or downloading programs from Matrix since they have been in business! Not a single problem with malware, or anything else. Some people should be careful of making accusations on a public board about a company....

Tony

(in reply to DerTroof)
Post #: 21
RE: Adware alert! - 12/30/2013 6:15:40 PM   
proxyland

there is no malware the AVG is not prefect one even avast or any anti-virus Matrix Games is trusted company as long years its just maybe that AVG read wrong data when run the exe but be sure its safe and clean its just false alert..try another anti-virus AVG have alot of troubles to the computer

< Message edited by proxyland -- 12/30/2013 7:16:15 PM >

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 22
RE: Adware alert! - 12/30/2013 10:30:17 PM   
Gilmer

I've never had an issue with Matrix.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to proxyland)
Post #: 23
RE: Adware alert! - 12/30/2013 11:04:30 PM   
FirstPappy

Surprised no one has blamed the NSA yet.

Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
RX580 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 24
RE: Adware alert! - 12/30/2013 11:16:04 PM   
Dorb

Hey never hurts to ask, he was only reporting what popped up.

(in reply to FirstPappy)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Adware alert! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote