Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc? - 12/31/2013 5:05:00 PM   
Martin_Goliath

Happy New Year to you all!

I just finished a game of EA (my first): 351 turns in 3½ years, after which I as Axis faced a significant defeat. But that's another story (plan to do an after action review at some point).

As life without EA seems a bit empty, we plan to start it anew, but are a bit at a loss when it comes to the game setup nowadays. Before going ahead, any suggestions from you are much appreciated.

(1) Which exe to use?

Would it be better to use the unofficial patched exe, rather than 3.4? Or wait out 3.5?

Our previous game was started in 3.2, and we did not impose any restrictions concerning Fortified + Ignore Losses deployment. After upgrading to 3.4, we carried on without restriciting F+IL, which made offensive operations quite costly. When we belatedly started a mirror game (3.4 from the beginning), the offensive in the early years seemed impossible (at least for our TOAW skills), so we abandoned that game after almost 100 turns with the French firmly in possession of Paris.

(2) Which scenario version to use?

I know there is a EA 2012 version around. Then there is the version Mark Stevens have uploaded to GameSquad (EA TOAW III (c)), which seems to be the one coming with the game. Which is preferrable?

(3) Which game option settings?

Particularly the flanking, turn order and supply?

(4) Which house rules (in addition to the ones suggested in the breifing)?

I suppose this depends on some of the choices above.

Thanks in advance for sharing your views!

Best wishes
Martin
Post #: 1
RE: Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc? - 12/31/2013 6:00:41 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarGol

Happy New Year to you all!

I just finished a game of EA (my first): 351 turns in 3½ years, after which I as Axis faced a significant defeat. But that's another story (plan to do an after action review at some point).

As life without EA seems a bit empty, we plan to start it anew, but are a bit at a loss when it comes to the game setup nowadays. Before going ahead, any suggestions from you are much appreciated.

(1) Which exe to use?

Would it be better to use the unofficial patched exe, rather than 3.4? Or wait out 3.5?

Our previous game was started in 3.2, and we did not impose any restrictions concerning Fortified + Ignore Losses deployment. After upgrading to 3.4, we carried on without restriciting F+IL, which made offensive operations quite costly. When we belatedly started a mirror game (3.4 from the beginning), the offensive in the early years seemed impossible (at least for our TOAW skills), so we abandoned that game after almost 100 turns with the French firmly in possession of Paris.

(2) Which scenario version to use?

I know there is a EA 2012 version around. Then there is the version Mark Stevens have uploaded to GameSquad (EA TOAW III (c)), which seems to be the one coming with the game. Which is preferrable?

(3) Which game option settings?

Particularly the flanking, turn order and supply?

(4) Which house rules (in addition to the ones suggested in the breifing)?

I suppose this depends on some of the choices above.

Thanks in advance for sharing your views!

Best wishes
Martin

Martin, Alter Schwede! You and Rob were supposed to test the first 18 turns of Kharkov '43 with the 3XBb.exe :P

What's up and how are the Lotta Svärd birds?

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Martin_Goliath)
Post #: 2
RE: Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc? - 12/31/2013 8:01:06 PM   
Martin_Goliath

Hi there Klaus!

Well, Kharkow vs Rob never came about, but I played it with the AA patch against the PO (didn't I report back to you? Playing as Stavka I remember taking Kharkov on schedule while barely holding in the south. Seemed to work excellently).

Any thoughts re EA?

Hope you have a nice stay in the US.

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc? - 12/31/2013 11:13:03 PM   
Falcon1

Somebody please make a PO version of EA!

(in reply to Martin_Goliath)
Post #: 4
RE: Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc? - 1/1/2014 10:53:26 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

Somebody please make a PO version of EA!

Falcon1,

Sadly not possible. The scenario is way too strategically complex for the AI to handle. Plus, the formation structure is most certainly not PO friendly.

There are some PO alternatives to EA though if you do not wish to PBEM.

Happy New Year!

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 1/1/2014 11:55:44 AM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 5
RE: Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc? - 1/1/2014 12:59:28 PM   
Falcon1

I suspected as much. I've started on the Road to Moscow scenarios and I'm leaning towards the Vietnam series next. Then I'll check your database for a good next choice. I was hoping for a large scale European theater scenario. I doubt that I'll ever PBEM but who knows, right?

< Message edited by Falcon1 -- 1/1/2014 2:00:10 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 6
RE: Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc? - 2/1/2014 8:51:24 PM   
tcarusil

I too have been playing the Road to Moscow scenarios. Currently on "At the Gates" and struggling mightily. May try Sicily to Brenner Pass based on Mr. Fulkerson's AARs.

TomC
quote:

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

I suspected as much. I've started on the Road to Moscow scenarios and I'm leaning towards the Vietnam series next. Then I'll check your database for a good next choice. I was hoping for a large scale European theater scenario. I doubt that I'll ever PBEM but who knows, right?

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI