Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crash of Game when all VL taken

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support >> Crash of Game when all VL taken Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crash of Game when all VL taken - 1/6/2014 11:18:16 PM   
Dinsdale44

I'm having an issue with Longest Day. Should I ever manage to take all the victory locations on a map, the game suddenly crashes. Frustrating as can be, considering that's a whole map fought and won, but doomed to be fought again.

< Message edited by Dinsdale44 -- 1/7/2014 12:18:50 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Crash of Game when all VL taken - 1/7/2014 6:41:13 PM   
SteveMcClaire

Dinsdale44,

Do you have the latest update for the game installed? Please see this post: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3060832

Does this happen every time you end a battle? Only when you end it by taking all victory locations? Only for certain battles?

Thanks,

Steve

(FYI - I've also moved your post to the technical support forum)

(in reply to Dinsdale44)
Post #: 2
RE: Crash of Game when all VL taken - 1/7/2014 10:21:11 PM   
Dinsdale44

Thanks for replying.
It's happened twice before on taking all VLs. Happens in the very instant of taking the VL. Also happened once in the Arnhem game. I don't actually get to take all VLs very often....tough game, and I like that, so don't know if it happens every time, but often enough! I had the most recent update installed before the crash happened. Checked that right away. There was combat (firing) happening at the time, don't know if that matters or not.

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 3
RE: Crash of Game when all VL taken - 1/7/2014 10:22:09 PM   
Dinsdale44

Should add, no, not at the end of every game. Only when securing ALL VLs.

Post #: 4
RE: Crash of Game when all VL taken - 1/8/2014 5:18:10 PM   
SteveMcClaire

Taking the final VL will trigger the end of the battle (unless you are playing with a 2 minute warning) and send you to the debrief screen. So something is happening during this process. Taking all VLs is not a terribly rare occurrence and the game has been out for several years now, so I do not think this is some sort of general bug with that situation. It could be something specific to the saved game file you are playing, though. Do you have any mods installed? If you re-fight the map and take all the VLs does it crash again?

Steve

(in reply to Dinsdale44)
Post #: 5
RE: Crash of Game when all VL taken - 1/10/2014 3:11:51 PM   
Dinsdale44

Hello Steve:
Again, thanks for replying so quickly. This is why I love Matrix Games. Well, one of the reasons (I'm incredibly happy that there is a company still making/buying and adapting/innovating strategy games for people who like to think when they play, not just react).
Great service and response at Matrix Games, something you don't see much out there in the world of 'customer support'.

The crash issue turns out to be not a such a big issue. Although the crash occurs, the game seems to save the end result and the area is taken. So a simple restart of the game is all that is needed. I can live with that.

As an aside related to my comment above (about buying and adapting games), I'm wondering why Matrix Games has not yet bought the rights to the old SPI board game 'Starforce', and turned it into a game for the PC. Do you know that one? I played it a lot. Really good. This was one of the cleverest and most playable games ever made by Strategic Publications Inc., a real leader in the game industry. In its exploration of Humankind's exploration into the nearby stars, this was one of the most engaging space exploration games ever made.
Just saying. ;)
Jeff

Post #: 6
RE: Crash of Game when all VL taken - 1/13/2014 6:19:33 PM   
SteveMcClaire

If you run into this and send me your saved game file right away, I can try and reproduce / debug it. Send me a PM if/when you have the file. I'd appreciate it. Sorry there wasn't a clear-cut resolution to the problem -- I haven't seen it before.

I don't recall the game you mentioned, and Googling 'Starforce' didn't seem to find it. But it sounds interesting. There are a number of space related titles from Matrix just out/in the works (Pandora, Buzz Aldren) so maybe that's something they would be interested in. I'll pass it along.

Steve

(in reply to Dinsdale44)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support >> Crash of Game when all VL taken Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI