Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slang Terms

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Slang Terms Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slang Terms - 3/7/2001 8:03:00 PM   
Figmo

This can be Slang for any language. If you've heard one and don't know what it means - post it here and somebody will know - I hope!! Some common American English Slang are: To Grease Somebody = To Kill Them - IIRC this came from the 1920s when the gangsters called the Tompson Machine gun a grease gun. Will you carry me there = Southern American term for "how about a ride - in your car". The Perfect woman = She's Barefoot, Pregnant and in the kitchen. Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
Post #: 1
- 3/8/2001 12:00:00 AM   
lynchc

Good ones! Of course your definition of the perfect woman was incomplete. You forgot: Four feet tall, a flat head, and no teeth! Grease gun was also the name given to the M3 submachine gun issued to American tank crews in WWII and in some places still in use today.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 2
- 3/8/2001 8:30:00 AM   
JediMessiah

im not sure the tommy was referred to as the grease gun....more likely the chicago typewriter.....the m3 was called a gease gun however, because of its use by tank crews and its resemblence to a grease gun

"Karate means never having to say you're sorry"
-E. Andrew Kovich

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 3
- 3/8/2001 9:19:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Figmo: This can be Slang for any language. If you've heard one and don't know what it means - post it here and somebody will know - I hope!! Some common American English Slang are: To Grease Somebody = To Kill Them - IIRC this came from the 1920s when the gangsters called the Tompson Machine gun a grease gun. Figmo
Was it called "grease gun"? thought this refered to something else. I know they called em tommy guns or choppers. Oh well no biggy, just making conversation...heheh Alby

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 4
- 3/8/2001 10:01:00 AM   
Pack Rat

They actually look like a grease gun, the kind used to grease your car. They were still issued to tank recovery crews when I was in as late as 72. That's what we called them anyway. They had a folding metal wire stock ( I guess it folded) and had a straight clip of 45 cal.. I think those that actually fired it said it had a recoil that went pretty much straight up, so add a very short barrel and I suspect a weapon only good for very close combat. ------------------ PR http://electricwar.tripod.com/

PR

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 5
- 3/8/2001 8:20:00 PM   
Figmo

I wasn't sure about the Thompson being called a Grease gun - and figured somebody would correct me!! Back to Slang Terms I found this site http://www.manythings.org/slang/ With bunches of them!! And this site with an explanation of "American Slang" http://www.bartleby.com/185/52.html Some of it's pretty funny!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Slang Terms Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI