Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Search vs. ASW question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Naval Search vs. ASW question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Search vs. ASW question - 1/14/2014 12:25:54 AM   
alanschu

Aside from the 50% reduced range, some stuff happened recently in my game that made me somewhat confused over what exactly is happening between the two.

I was providing air cover for a convoy to Port Moresby with two US carriers. Since they had already taken a bit of offensive losses in an attack against carriers at Lunga, I didn't want them to get chewed up bombing ships near Lae or closer to Rabaul. I also knew that the waters were heavily populated by Japanese submarines.

So what I did was set most of my attack wings to ASW patrol. What happened on the turn was... those planes searching and detecting (and frequently attacking!) Japanese merchant shipping on the north side of New Guinea. I was not expecting this!

This has led me to wonder: Is ASW effectively the exact same as Naval search, just with 50% range penalty (and possibly, more intensive searching within the designated area)? Maybe an increased chance of performing an attack?
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Search vs. ASW question - 1/14/2014 12:43:09 AM   
spence

For any given experience level planes assigned to ASW have a larger chance of actually attacking a located sub than planes assigned to Naval Search with the same experience.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Search vs. ASW question - 1/14/2014 12:56:33 AM   
dr.hal

What was the altitude assigned to the ASW planes?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Search vs. ASW question - 1/14/2014 5:19:19 AM   
alanschu

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

For any given experience level planes assigned to ASW have a larger chance of actually attacking a located sub than planes assigned to Naval Search with the same experience.

That's sort of what it seems is the case, but it looks like it may apply not only to subs, as I'd say probably 40-50% of my planes made attacks on AKs and the like, which is something I do not typically see. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that they detected other ships (it's not like they are flying with "submarine only" glasses on).

Theoretically, then, if I didn't care about the range it seems like I could set all my patrols to ASW (though I suspect that'd be too inefficient).

So this leads me to the next part: my understanding then is a high ASW skill improves the chances of attacking whatever it is you spot. When the attack occurs, is the hit rate affected by the ASW skill, or does it still use the naval bombing skill?

Still, it is good to know that ASW is still effectively a naval search as well, as it means I'll likely have all my CVEs focus on improving ASW and not worry too much about naval search.

Cheers!

Allan

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Naval Search vs. ASW question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI