Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Automatic Retrofit for State Ships?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Automatic Retrofit for State Ships? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Automatic Retrofit for State Ships? - 1/14/2014 4:21:47 AM   
Cubano

I've set my state ship designs to Upgrade=Manual and Retrofit=Automatic but the retrofit setting does not seem to make any difference. Neither my explorer ships retrofit nor my other military ships honor the retrofit setting (they do honor the upgrade setting as the AI definitely does not override my designs).

Explorer ships are set to auto and they explore and refuel correctly but never retrofit. I use fleet postures extensively and set them to auto - they refuel and follow the posture stances correctly but never retrofit themselves.

What am I missing?
Post #: 1
RE: Automatic Retrofit for State Ships? - 1/14/2014 8:37:59 AM   
Bingeling

It has been a while, so I may be wrong, but...

"Upgrade" decides whether the AI designer will redesign it on new tech. For manual design, having this off is obvious.

"Retrofit" has a different purpose. You may find a fancy alien cruiser far superior to your tech. You want "retrofit" off to avoid having it retrofitted to your own low tech cruiser design. This way it is "safe" to give a fleet with this cruiser the retrofit order. The rest of the fleet retrofits, the cruiser just refuels.

It is also useful if you want multiple designs of the same class. With "retrofit" off you can manually take care of
retrofitting so that they retrofit to the correct designs.

I think "retrofit off" also could make it safe to multiselect the whole ship list and press the retrofit button, but I would check the order of my fancy alien cruiser after pressing that one. You should still be able to retrofit them if you want by selecting the specific design they should switch to.

(in reply to Cubano)
Post #: 2
RE: Automatic Retrofit for State Ships? - 1/19/2014 8:08:37 PM   
Cubano

So if I understand you correctly, setting a design to manual retrofit means that a ship built from that design will NOT be retrofitted to the latest design if it is part of a fleet that that has received a right-click "retro-fit to latest design" from me. I expected the setting to make state ships/bases to act like private ships/bases, which always auto-retrofit themselves.

I've come accross some release notes but neither your statement nor my expectation are really indicated. From the 1.0.7.16 notes:

"Slightly altered how retrofitting works - private ships are always retrofitted if
new designs are available, whereas retrofitting for state ships is prompted by
your advisors (if Empire Policy setting 'Prompt for Retrofit when new tech
becomes available' is enabled). Retrofitting is no longer controlled by the Ship
Design automation setting."

"State-owned designs can now be designated not to automatically retrofit (e.g.
via advisor suggestion). This setting will flow through to any ships or bases
built from the design, but can also be changed individually for each stateowned
ship or base. These ships and bases will only retrofit when manually
ordered to do so by the player. See top of Design Detail screen for this new
setting. Also see Components tab in Ships and Bases screen to update this
setting per ship. Also available in a column on the main Design List screen."

"Fixed mixed up setting for Empire Policy setting "Prompt for Retrofit when
new tech becomes available" - now properly allows auto-retrofitting
regardless of this setting."

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Automatic Retrofit for State Ships? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI