Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" Page: <<   < prev  481 482 [483] 484 485   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/14/2014 12:34:15 AM   
zuluhour

wee willy

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 14461
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/14/2014 2:10:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********June 25, 1943(c)**********

Ryukyus: Quite a good day. The switch over to Kume-jima goes well. It looks like we are up against a base force.

Pre-Invasion action off Kume-jima (94,65) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

25 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
CL Hobart
SC PC-1082
AK Titania
DD Abbot

Japanese ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

CL Hobart firing at Det. 3rd Special Base Force
Det. 3rd Special Base Force firing at CL Hobart

The campaign to attrit the WJD ground troops at Naha gets underway. This will take a while because most
of the Heavy squadrons are worn out.

We lost one AK to subs on the way to Karenko.

Tried to send in some mediums at 10K feet to improve accuracy. They still have some serious AAA at Naha.

Morning Air attack on 1st/B Division, at 95,66 (Naha)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 73 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 25 minutes

Allied aircraft
Beaufort V x 10
Beaufort VIII x 9
Spitfire Vc Trop x 5

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufort V: 4 damaged
Beaufort V: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese ground losses:
52 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/14/2014 3:13:30 PM >

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 14462
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/14/2014 5:53:35 PM   
sprior

That's where all my motorised support went http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/10571185/Divers-explore-the-SS-Thistlegorm-shipwreck-in-the-Red-Sea.html?frame=2790421

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 14463
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/14/2014 7:11:18 PM   
Simonsez

Like the turtled Bren carrier in pic #9....needs a little work to get it running again.

Simonsez

It's a trap!

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 14464
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/14/2014 7:17:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

2nd British Div could use a couple of Humber I. Does the Royal Navy buy a submarine attack replacement policy?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 14465
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/14/2014 7:19:13 PM   
Simonsez

Yes,

But since this was an attack by a German He-111, there was no payout. Should have added an He-111 rider befoer leaving port.

Simonsez

It's a trap!

Post #: 14466
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/14/2014 8:58:57 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Bomber fleet at Aparri. The crews are holding up but the airframes are getting tired.

Late were bomber pools are so slim...

You say late war when it is only June of 43... LOL!

I forgot the Cap has 44-45 progress in 43.

Thanks for reminding me.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 14467
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/16/2014 1:58:41 AM   
zuluhour

Those Lib squadrons look like they fly back to back to back days. That is directly proportional to plane fatigue I believe. I prefer the rotisserie method for applying air power. Of course I'm barely hanging on to CenPac.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 14468
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/16/2014 8:14:52 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

Those Lib squadrons look like they fly back to back to back days. That is directly proportional to plane fatigue I believe. I prefer the rotisserie method for applying air power. Of course I'm barely hanging on to CenPac.

Yes, that is exactly what happened (and a level 7 airfield limitations). The "maximum effort" has already been shut off. We couldn't have the troops getting green in the gills at sea. We had to shut down the airfield.

Only about half the heavy squadrons flying now. One more day of the assault firce disembarking at Kume-jima and then the surface guard, transport and carrier can be withdrawn.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 14469
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/16/2014 8:28:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I got the flu shot, wash my hands 30 times a day and here I am stuck at home with SG IV with some God-awful virus.

Meanwhile, I think the contractor caused a power surge and killed my desktop. We found a big rotted beam on the back balcony so we are just going to demo about 2/3rd of it. Bad week so far.

Post #: 14470
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/16/2014 8:34:13 PM   
Cap Mandrake

SG texts me this question about cultural sensitivity regarding her 5 yerar old Somali patient spending the night in the hospital after a non-seriosu head conk in a motor vehicle accident.

SG: Would it be OK to give my Somali patient a pirate toy as a gift?

Naturally, I offered my sagacity and empathy.

Post #: 14471
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/16/2014 8:43:30 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

I got the flu shot, wash my hands 30 times a day and here I am stuck at home with SG IV with some God-awful virus.

Hmmm ... Our "I am from the government and I am here to help .." states: http://www.flu.gov/about_the_flu/current_flu/index.html

I am thinking there are more variations this year than vaccinated..
I am getting an abundance of patients in NM with acute on chronic respiratory failure secondary to flu like S&S ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Post #: 14472
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/16/2014 9:28:31 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

Hmmm ... Our "I am from the government and I am here to help .." states: http://www.flu.gov/about_the_flu/current_flu/index.html

I am getting an abundance of patients in NM with acute on chronic respiratory failure secondary to flu like S&S ..

It seems unlikey I will be a fatality but the thing kicked my booty. I knew those live chickens from Hong Kong were a bad idea.

Oh, just thought of something. What if the HOA finds out I am keeping live chickens?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/16/2014 10:32:15 PM >

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 14473
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/16/2014 10:46:33 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Meanwhile, I think the contractor caused a power surge and killed my desktop. We found a big rotted beam on the back balcony so we are just going to demo about 2/3rd of it. Bad week so far.

Do you have sufficient Hendrick's in the freezer to see you through?

Post #: 14474
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/16/2014 10:48:04 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

SG: Would it be OK to give my Somali patient a pirate toy as a gift?

Y'arr! Walk the plank with ye, matey!

Post #: 14475
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 1:13:01 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

It seems unlikey I will be a fatality but the thing kicked my booty. I knew those live chickens from Hong Kong were a bad idea.

Oh, just thought of something. What if the HOA finds out I am keeping live chickens?

I am not really concerned about your chickens .. as Chicken boy I assume is at continual consult ...
but I am quite concerned about Chinaman .. who coughs and spreads flu to 180 passengers on a 757 in SF who in turn travel to multiple spots in the US ...
It looks like a very nasty flu settled in Colorado . that is making its way to my practice ...this flu sees to be not in the vaccine ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Post #: 14476
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 12:41:21 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********June 26, 1943(c)************

Okinawa: Lift those barges...tote those bales...or something like that. Nothing bad happens. Just dropping things off..either on the beach (Ito Red) at Kume-jima or from 12,000 ft over Okinawa. 147th RCT fully ashore at Kume-jima. We attack tomorrow at Kume-jima. No attack for now on Okinawa, we are still negotiating the "Enemy artillery positions intelligence rider" with M&M.

3rd Marine Div will reform at Aparri after all the trucks and jeeps and mobile field kitchens are ashore.

6th Marine Regt will go to Batangas instead of landing at Naha. Another regiment (8th I think) will pull back from the sitzkrieg line at Manira and the last regiment will have to come up from Japanese/Portuguese/Timorese Timnor. 2nd Mariune Div will then reform.

The two divisions to take Taihoku aren't ready yet. 37th ID, still refitting at Iba, is about ready to go to Okinawa. We can land 3th ID together with 3rd Marine.

You know? This prannng thing is oddly enjoyable. You guys should try it.

Miyako-jima goes to level 6 airfield..5 or 6 d and she can start hosting B-24's for night raids on Kyushu.

BB's can rearm now at Batan Is in one shift, both magazines. We start a bombardment shuttle.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 14477
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 12:44:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Burma: JJ put some pranes at Lashio. We drop bombs on them....and on annoying LYB's in the various jungles on Burma.

South China Sea: USS Greenling puts a torp in two different AO's

Post #: 14478
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 1:14:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I was laid up for 3 1/2 days straight. I had to share the television with a 9 year old. I had to watch my share of Disney boy-band shows... and lost many an IQ point I tell you...but I did finally wrest control of the Netflix controller. Here are my reviews:

Yukon Men: Some interesting bits but according to the narrator they are all at the cusp of stravation if they don't get that moose or the King salmon...except that everyione over 25 is fat. It is supposed to be some kind of subsistence existence but everyone has two showmobiles, a 25 foot boat with outboard and a truck and a bulldozer. The lead guy supposedly left Boston 40 years ago to come out to the wilderness but I suspect he was expelled for beign too annoying.

Alaska: The Last Frontier: Much better show. True homestead family.

Into the White: Very good. RAF and Luftwafe crews shoot each other down over remote Norway in the Winter and have to ...well...you will see. If you are a JFB and poor reader you won't like it because the Germans don't let on that they speak-ah da Engrish until half-way through so you have to read the subtitles. Even worse, the Engrish officer you can understand but the gunner seems to have just washed off the blue paint. Americans would benefit from subtitles when he was speaking too.

Warriors of the Ranbow: The Seedig Bala: Very good! It's rike the formulaic "Evil White Colonialists Oppress the Idyllic Indiginous Peoples, Vol XXIII" except the evil white coloniallists are Japanese and it's Formosa in the 1930's. Substantially true story too. The IJA seems to have not yet mastered the concept of the ambush yet. Nice score. Some beautiful singing but the dancing is crappy (not a musical though, so it's OK).

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/17/2014 2:16:37 PM >

Post #: 14479
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 1:24:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Also, this oddity. "Yorktown II" just showed up on the ship arrival list about 10 d from now in Panama. This is quite a Summer solstice gift considering "Yorktown I" is the only original carrier we have that still works.

Yorktown II will move to SF to join Essex for the attack on the Kuriles. Shima airfield will be ready.

We can start loading up at Pearl and Seattle in about 10 d for Operation StickyGreen

Post #: 14480
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 1:56:28 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Also, this oddity. "Yorktown II" just showed up on the ship arrival list about 10 d from now in Panama. This is quite a Summer solstice gift considering "Yorktown I" is the only original carrier we have that still works.

Can't you Allied dogs change the Essex-brand "II" carriers to a more suitable name? Something that gives you courage and helps you through the day? USS Hendricks? USS Makemineadouble? USS Fetaolives?

Post #: 14481
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 3:14:33 PM   
Argos

Actually the bad situation was in the south last week, and in Pittsburgh/Upstate NY the week before (Colorado was showing elevated levels as well and I do personally know of a fatality in Boulder last week). The real scary one - Baton Rouge is 9 std deviations over its normal weekly flu deaths and Mobile is way up (over 5 std deviations above its average). Colorado was up last week but dropped back to normal (reporting gets a little arbitrary around year end). I actually follow this stuff because I have a product for fire departments or interested folks that tracks Pneumonia & Influenza reported deaths (weekly CDC figures) and emails an easy to read report so that departments can set their protocols in case things get bad. I sell the service for $12.48 a year to cover data, infrastructure, time, and technology.

The fire department I was on couldn't get any information on severity back in 2009 and that's where this started from (if you look all the information is on where the flu is not how bad it is). Summary of the bad spots for this week with the number that follows being the number of standard deviation above the average deaths for a week in that city at this time of year.

Baton Rouge 9.18, Mobile 5.38, Norfolk 3.83, Grand Rapids 3.50, Birmingham 3.50, Shreveport 3.30, Savannah 2.90, New Orleans 2.84.

With 122 cities in the sample maybe one or two of these would sneak on by chance but with flu peak coming things could get interesting

< Message edited by Argos -- 1/17/2014 4:17:07 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 14482
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 3:37:48 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Bunch of whiners in Baton Rouge.

I wonder what size nuke FEMA would have to drop on Baton Rouge to sanitize it.

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 14483
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 3:43:43 PM   
Cap Mandrake

We always have an inkling before the CDC tells us. First the clinical surge in influenza-like cases, then confirmation of influenza admits to the local childrens hospital (email notification)...then the county health dept and CDC.

Government is always last to know. It's oddly reassuring.

Post #: 14484
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 3:56:21 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********D Ring, Pentagon, Office of the CNO************

Adm. King: <looking over list while at a large conference table> ...now as to the name for the 2nd Essex...let's see..."32nd Battle of Port Hedrand"....isn't it...oh, never mind........"16th Battle of Pine Island"....."11th Battle of New and Improved Scotland". Really? Is this the best we've got? Look at the elegance of "Saratoga", for example.

Aide: Well, sir, we were concentrating on battles we actually won.

Adm. King: Perhaps, but "New and Improved Scotland" sounds like a marketing slogan, not a US Navy aircraft carrier.

Mr. Dewey, Esq., Civilian Member: Admiral, have you thought about naming rights? Think of the revenue potential, sir. It could make War Bond drives obsolete.

Adm. King: I'm listening........

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14485
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 3:59:08 PM   
Chickenboy

Well, since it's a copied name, how about killing two birds with one stone? USS Xerox?

Post #: 14486
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 4:01:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

We always have an inkling before the CDC tells us. First the clinical surge in influenza-like cases, then confirmation of influenza admits to the local childrens hospital (email notification)...then the county health dept and CDC.

Government is always last to know. It's oddly reassuring.

Before the 2009 pandemic, 'word of mouth' amongst the medical professionals built in this manner as well. We started putting our ear to the ground with the atypical Mexican swine/human spike of cases that preceded the human pandemic.

ETA: Another driver was the hoarding of Tamiflu-you could chart dawning public awareness by whether pharmacies had tablets on hand or whether they were backordered. Particularly the pediatric suspension formulations-those were very difficult to come by back in 'the day'. Getting in front of this demand was a good thing.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 1/17/2014 5:03:49 PM >

Post #: 14487
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 4:04:27 PM   
moore4807

quote:

Bunch of whiners in Baton Rouge.

I wonder what size nuke FEMA would have to drop on Baton Rouge to sanitize it.

I think we have to call them out of retirement, but there's some Philly SWAT guys that dropped the bomb on the MOVE house back in the 90's - That was good for 5-6 blocks of delousing...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moore4807 -- 1/17/2014 5:08:10 PM >

Post #: 14488
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 4:16:31 PM   
Argos

In '09 Fire/EMS was pissed as our local officials had us all jacked up about the potential for a really bad flu season, then when we started getting cases the only thing we could get was 'There is confirmed flu activity in the county/state'. Nothing on severity, no recommendations; it all came down to that sort of back channel information and inference that you are describing. When we get another bad one places that are in react mode are going to get really ugly...

Post #: 14489
RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" - 1/17/2014 5:02:57 PM   
moore4807

quote:

ORIGINAL: Argos

In '09 Fire/EMS was pissed as our local officials had us all jacked up about the potential for a really bad flu season, then when we started getting cases the only thing we could get was 'There is confirmed flu activity in the county/state'. Nothing on severity, no recommendations; it all came down to that sort of back channel information and inference that you are describing. When we get another bad one places that are in react mode are going to get really ugly...

As an Fire/EMS old timer - we were never given health dept updates - we were deemed too stupid to know what to do with them...lol.

Our secrets were really simple, when the call volume was normally 3-6 calls per day and we were doing 15? or when you called the hospital on the HEAR radio system and they BEGGED you to go to another hospital?

Yep the flu season was here, time to get a box of masks from the hospital, double up on the towels and pillowcases for the pukers and wash your hands frequently cause gloves were ONLY for surgeons then.

One of our members who was also a musician wrote a cover song (ironically the same Born to Run as Chris Christies Bridge Jam) The lyrics were truly genius for its time. " The ER's jammed with elderly wheelchairs on a last gasp pneumonia ride, The doc's screaming at his nurses there's no beds left in sight... " I wish I could remember the rest, but even the ER enjoyed it when he played it there.

< Message edited by moore4807 -- 1/17/2014 6:04:22 PM >

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 14490
Page:   <<   < prev  481 482 [483] 484 485   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: "Fukoku Maru, pal!" Page: <<   < prev  481 482 [483] 484 485   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI