Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What did you do today in World in Flames?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/11/2014 3:33:49 PM   
Numdydar

Good point. But again, having to pay someone else to transport your goods is unlikely when you need every penny to pay for your troops and war economy. This is another likely reason this did not occur in the real war.

I did some research on Vancover and at the start of the war in 1939 it did not have that much capacity. However by the time the US gets involved, the port capacity had been built so Vancover was a major port by then. Of course with Seattle, San Fransico, etc. much closer to the major PTO theaters, it was not used as much. Although it did play a major part in the Alaskian Highway project. The 1,000 mile war.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 181
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/11/2014 5:29:09 PM   
Centuur

What you are forgetting here is that a lot of countries did actually pay for railroad transportation in neutral countries. The Germans and Italians did pay the Swiss and the Spanish money, so trains with raw materials could be savely transported. The same happened in Turkey and Sweden even allowed war material being send through the country and the Swedish railroads got paid for this too...

It all depends on the thought of what is cheaper at that moment. Running trains through your own country or having longer searoutes which might be intercepted by the enemy. And there are distances involved to...

And here's another one: during 1941 CW controlled ships sailed in US territorial waters from the Caribbean to Canada...

Peter

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 182
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/12/2014 3:56:52 PM   
Numdydar

Sure they did. But all shipping systems have a hard limit on how much can be transported without disruptioning the internal ecnomy. Any excess capacity is open for sale. However, no one is going to transport forgien goods at the expense of their internal wellbeing. So again it is likely that in 1939 that the US could have allowed the UK to buy some excess capacity to allow this, but would it have been enough and consistant? No way to really tell for sure. But since this did not happen, I suppect it was looked at and then discarded as an option for this and other reasons that are lost to history.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 183
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/12/2014 6:54:59 PM   
Orm

I doubt that Canada had enough rail capacity from Vancouver in order to transport such amounts of raw materials. And I suspect a shortage of freight wagons would occur as well.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 184
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/12/2014 6:55:47 PM   
paulderynck

The rules of the game allow resources to be transported through neutral countries. Wargamers are optimizers. If it is thought that sending two Aussie resources to Canada so that two Canadian resources can go to the UK (and save a grand total of 4 CPs for other uses), then prepare yourself for some horrible shocks in terms of other things that can happen in the game that indeed really are gamey.

Paul

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 185
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/12/2014 6:57:22 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I doubt that Canada had enough rail capacity from Vancouver in order to transport such amounts of raw materials. And I suspect a shortage of freight wagons would occur as well.

It is the US rail net that gets the resources to Eastern Canada.

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 186
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/12/2014 7:26:26 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

The rules of the game allow resources to be transported through neutral countries. Wargamers are optimizers. If it is thought that sending two Aussie resources to Canada so that two Canadian resources can go to the UK (and save a grand total of 4 CPs for other uses), then prepare yourself for some horrible shocks in terms of other things that can happen in the game that indeed really are gamey.

And this is how house rules are born

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 187
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/12/2014 7:34:04 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

It is the US rail net that gets the resources to Eastern Canada.

Then I doubt that the US rail net had that capacity.

How was the rail capacity across The Rocky Mountains?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 188
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/12/2014 10:07:31 PM   
paulderynck

Pick up a copy of "Rail Baron" sometime, if you can, it's a pretty good game in and of itself. (Edit - or check out the version on Vassal.)

But from that game I recall there were 10 U.S. rail routes across the Rockies - the Great Northern (to both Seattle and Portland); the Northern Pacific; the Union Pacific (to both L.A. and Portland); the Southern Pacific (to both L.A. from the southwest and San Francisco from the west); the Western Pacific; the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe; and the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific.

Canada has two transcontinental railroads that cross the Rockies.

All these rail lines existed in the 1940s.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 1/12/2014 11:11:05 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 189
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/12/2014 10:25:30 PM   
joshuamnave

quote:

Pick up a copy of "Rail Baron" sometime, if you can, it's a pretty good game in and of itself. (Edit - or check out the version on Vassal.)

But from that game I recall there were 10 U.S. rail routes across the Rockies - the Great Northern (to both Seattle and Portland); the Northern Pacific; the Union Pacific (to both L.A. and Portland); the Southern Pacific (to both L.A. from the southwest and San Francisco from the west); the Western Pacific; the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe; and the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific.

Rail Baron isn't bad, for a beer and pretzels game. Not the kind of game that's going to satisfy the kind of player that enjoys games on the scale of WiF, for the most part, but fun to play with friends who can't get into strategically complex games. Unfortunately my own copy has been lost and it's out of print. Hard to find at a reasonable cost now.

Try the 18xx games for a Rail game that satisfies on a WiF level.

The US rail network was in fact quite well developed by 1940. But that's not the point. The convoy system is an abstraction, not a realistic simulation of logistics. As an abstraction, it does a good job of forcing players to make the types of strategic decisions that the main players faced during the war. How much of our navy do we devote to convoy protection? How much production needs to be funneled back into the merchant marine? Do we use shorter convoys through more dangerous waters, or longer convoy routes that are safer? How much of our war effort should focus on disrupting any convoys and supply lines? How much do we invest in ASW/sub production and technology? If you think it's unrealistic that Australian resources are sent to Canada and Canadian resources are transported to the UK, or that the US rail net would be used to ship them, ask yourself how realistic it is that Canadian and Indian factories build ships that appear in British drydocks on the other side of the world. It's an abstraction - the only two important questions are "does this abstraction do a good job simulating the strategic level decision making during the war, and is this fun to play?"

Post #: 190
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/12/2014 10:30:06 PM   
Orm

quote:

I did not doubt that there were several rail routes across the Rockies. But that in itself is not the same as there is a capacity for a lot of raw materials. Depending on the raw materials that arrived from Australia the railroad would have been reinforced if the loads were heavy. Was there enough places for the trains to meet? Where the meeting places long enough to handle long cargo trains or would the trains have to be short?

I know that Sweden had some trouble with railing ore and I know that most of the railroad that existed, in Sweden, at that time were not strong enough to handle ore shipments.

And because so much effort were put into building the canal and its importance for US after it was built I somehow doubt that the US railroad had that much extra capacity.

With this said I have no trouble on how WIF and MWIF handles resource transportation.

Do you have a book to recommend about the US railroads creation and early history?

I would love to play Rail Baron sometimes. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thank you for the recommendation.

Post #: 191
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/12/2014 10:42:30 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

Do you have a book to recommend about the US railroads creation and early history?

George Rogers Taylor, The Transportation Revolution, 1815-1860 (New York, 1951)

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 192
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/14/2014 12:06:59 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

quote:

Rail Baron isn't bad, for a beer and pretzels game. Not the kind of game that's going to satisfy the kind of player that enjoys games on the scale of WiF, for the most part, but fun to play with friends who can't get into strategically complex games. Unfortunately my own copy has been lost and it's out of print. Hard to find at a reasonable cost now.

Try the 18xx games for a Rail game that satisfies on a WiF level.

The US rail network was in fact quite well developed by 1940. But that's not the point. The convoy system is an abstraction, not a realistic simulation of logistics. As an abstraction, it does a good job of forcing players to make the types of strategic decisions that the main players faced during the war. How much of our navy do we devote to convoy protection? How much production needs to be funneled back into the merchant marine? Do we use shorter convoys through more dangerous waters, or longer convoy routes that are safer? How much of our war effort should focus on disrupting any convoys and supply lines? How much do we invest in ASW/sub production and technology? If you think it's unrealistic that Australian resources are sent to Canada and Canadian resources are transported to the UK, or that the US rail net would be used to ship them, ask yourself how realistic it is that Canadian and Indian factories build ships that appear in British drydocks on the other side of the world. It's an abstraction - the only two important questions are "does this abstraction do a good job simulating the strategic level decision making during the war, and is this fun to play?"

Actually, the US had a lot of trouble with their rail lines when they entered the war, but the railroad industry came through splendidly when needed. Because the German subs were sinking the oil tankers along the eastern seaboard in 1942, getting oil from the south to the northeast (e.g., gasoline and heating oil) was a tremendous problem. Congress had blocked building oil pipelines in the years leading up to the US entry (1939, 1940, 1941) and although they were eventually built, there was a major oil shortfall in the interim. But the railroad industry dredged up every oil car they could find, and with unexpected cooperation between railroad companies, were able to keep the NE in gas and oil until the pipelines could be built. The US got better at protecting the oil tankers too.

I just finished reading (in November) A Call to Arms by Maury Klein which covered a lot of this.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to joshuamnave)
Post #: 193
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/15/2014 2:40:06 PM   
brian brian

I haven't looked at the numbers but my change to using the Australian resources in Canada feels like it frees up more than 4 convoy points, but that is probably because I am now simply using the Venezuelan and Port-of-Spain oil resources in the UK factories. I know I have never played a game where I could use the New Caledonia resource in France before. The stronger the French are, the better.

Moving the resources this ways just flows from the abstractions of the game. In Real Life©, there would be trade between Australia and Canada based on the economies of those countries and what each needed. Froonp did a lot of great work sorting out what each resource hex on the map represents. I don't know the results for Australia, but I would imagine it would mostly be coal. I know that today Australia is a major coal exporter. Would Canada need Australian coal in WWII? Probably not. Plenty of coal in Canada and the USA that would be far cheaper to get to Canada if they needed it.

I think one of the Australian resource hexes might simply represent agricultural production, as the one in Holland does. Using that is somewhat modeled by the Food in Flames optional rule which has always been interesting, but too powerful to give the Allies, who don't really need any help in the game.

But with generic resources, you will see results like this and I don't think a few House Rules could really fix much, nor are really needed.

The other way to go would be to increase the detail of the resource hexes. So then the Finnish resource hex up near Petsamo would be a Nickel mine. This was very important for the Germans, and Hitler issued military directives accordingly. But it is a level of detail that would turn off many potential players. Without X amount of Nickel coming in, you can only produce so much armor plate and then only build so many tanks and thus only place so many ARM/MECH counters on the board. I think in Real Life©, by the time the Finnish Nickel supplies could no longer reach Germany it was all a moot point in terms of German production.

And that kind of stuff can go on in far too much detail for most. Germany got some supplies of the mineral compound Wolfram, which was also very important for various weapons, from occasional Japanese blockade runners docking at Bordeaux, iirc, as well as rubber supplies. Do you want to game individual merchant ships?

I did see a magazine article on a computer game of WWII that did model the individual mineral supplies of various countries. I forget the name of the game. The article detailed how the best USA strategy was to invade Mexico in September 1939 to optimize their mineral supplies. This was coming from the publisher of the game I believe, and the article turned me off from the very idea of the game. It seemed like they were very interested in the economics of WWII but had no concern for the political realities.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 194
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/15/2014 5:17:05 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I haven't looked at the numbers but my change to using the Australian resources in Canada feels like it frees up more than 4 convoy points, but that is probably because I am now simply using the Venezuelan and Port-of-Spain oil resources in the UK factories. I know I have never played a game where I could use the New Caledonia resource in France before. The stronger the French are, the better.

Moving the resources this ways just flows from the abstractions of the game. In Real Life©, there would be trade between Australia and Canada based on the economies of those countries and what each needed. Froonp did a lot of great work sorting out what each resource hex on the map represents. I don't know the results for Australia, but I would imagine it would mostly be coal. I know that today Australia is a major coal exporter. Would Canada need Australian coal in WWII? Probably not. Plenty of coal in Canada and the USA that would be far cheaper to get to Canada if they needed it.

I think one of the Australian resource hexes might simply represent agricultural production, as the one in Holland does. Using that is somewhat modeled by the Food in Flames optional rule which has always been interesting, but too powerful to give the Allies, who don't really need any help in the game.

But with generic resources, you will see results like this and I don't think a few House Rules could really fix much, nor are really needed.

The other way to go would be to increase the detail of the resource hexes. So then the Finnish resource hex up near Petsamo would be a Nickel mine. This was very important for the Germans, and Hitler issued military directives accordingly. But it is a level of detail that would turn off many potential players. Without X amount of Nickel coming in, you can only produce so much armor plate and then only build so many tanks and thus only place so many ARM/MECH counters on the board. I think in Real Life©, by the time the Finnish Nickel supplies could no longer reach Germany it was all a moot point in terms of German production.

And that kind of stuff can go on in far too much detail for most. Germany got some supplies of the mineral compound Wolfram, which was also very important for various weapons, from occasional Japanese blockade runners docking at Bordeaux, iirc, as well as rubber supplies. Do you want to game individual merchant ships?

I did see a magazine article on a computer game of WWII that did model the individual mineral supplies of various countries. I forget the name of the game. The article detailed how the best USA strategy was to invade Mexico in September 1939 to optimize their mineral supplies. This was coming from the publisher of the game I believe, and the article turned me off from the very idea of the game. It seemed like they were very interested in the economics of WWII but had no concern for the political realities.

You would need to model stockpiles too. And throughout the war countries created replacements when they couldn't get a raw material. Synthetic oil from coal and nylon tires from oil are the two best known. Also, in the US, the lack of a critical resource saw a new "gold rush" in the western US when prospectors and mining interests jumped in as the prices paid for raw minerals rose in response to shortages. Modeling the whole manufacturing side of the war would be a major project. Once the US solved its shortages of raw materials, there was another major bottleneck with the distribution of those resources. Gearing limits in WIF is a good system for dealing with a lot of that.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 195
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/18/2014 5:42:43 AM   
ngcavscout

Today I bought and downloaded the game. I have a group of me and 3 others that used to play the tabletop version back in the late 90's, but cats, kids, wives, and lack of table space have combined to stop us from playing in over a decade, hopefully hot seat play brings the magic back. I have been waiting for this release since before it began development at Matrix.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 196
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/25/2014 1:24:25 AM   
WarHunter

Created Warhunter's Weather & Terrain Mod

Visit Mod forum to download.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to ngcavscout)
Post #: 197
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 1/28/2014 11:03:19 PM   
Dorb

Downloaded v1.1.1

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 198
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 2/20/2014 11:13:43 PM   
Dorb

Had to dig this up.
Updated to 1.1.3 finally. And must say have not been doing much with this game. Too many other great games coming out now. Figured when get closer to the AI release I will get back into it. - but still love it.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 199
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 2/21/2014 12:27:53 AM   
Sabre21

I have to agree that I haven't been doing anything lately either and think this will be one of those games that will stay on my computer till I croak. I'm hoping for a good AI too but in the meantime me and Bloodybill are waiting on Netplay to get working.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 200
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 2/21/2014 2:32:54 AM   
shaddock

My partner and I stopped playing in December for the same reason - net play.
Which is too bad really. Such a nice looking game.
Oh well there are other games out there to play.

save the carrots; eat a vegan!

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 201
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 2/22/2014 1:20:59 AM   
Zorachus99

Same...

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to shaddock)
Post #: 202
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 2/22/2014 8:27:44 AM   
ess1

Uninstalled.

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 203
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 2/25/2014 3:53:12 PM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Had to dig this up.
Updated to 1.1.3 finally. And must say have not been doing much with this game. Too many other great games coming out now. Figured when get closer to the AI release I will get back into it. - but still love it.

Yeah, I'm just going to let this one sit for six months to a year. By then I'm sure all the bugs will be gone. Too many bugs make the game too unstable and frequent crashes and freezes just make it no fun to play. I'll revisit later in 2014.

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 204
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 4/2/2014 2:49:15 PM   
WarHunter

Playing MWiF via Teamviewer and Ventrilo. While waiting for NetPlay.

Note we are not using the hotseat mode. We are using the Solo mode. So USentry is not exactly "secret". Also we have a house rule for Russia/Japan to keep some units in the East. Just because there is no coded rule. 4 units each minimum by 1940.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 205
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 4/11/2014 3:38:23 PM   
WarHunter

63 impulses played with Firmir, the Gentleman Gamer from Germany. I think he plans on invading the USSR today. Its currently impulse 4 of March/April 1941, bad weather.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 206
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 4/14/2014 5:00:51 PM   
Ingtar

I watched a game fall apart after an odd set of circumstances.

Japan DOW on Netherlands early.
I goof and set France as the controller.
When France goes Vichy, part of the fleet had been forced out of France, causing nothing to be Free French.
Dutch government in exile turns over territory to Axis (Germany).
Production chart shows 4 idle Japanese oil, but clicking cannot locate them. They no longer see accessible.

Time to start again.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 207
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 4/14/2014 5:19:16 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ingtar

I watched a game fall apart after an odd set of circumstances.

Japan DOW on Netherlands early.
I goof and set France as the controller.
When France goes Vichy, part of the fleet had been forced out of France, causing nothing to be Free French.
Dutch government in exile turns over territory to Axis (Germany).
Production chart shows 4 idle Japanese oil, but clicking cannot locate them. They no longer see accessible.

Time to start again.

Although this probably doesn't happen that much, a savegame would help to see if there is an issue which could appear at other places.

(in reply to Ingtar)
Post #: 208
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 4/14/2014 6:34:58 PM   
Ingtar

Notice. I am starting again soon. I was acting way out to test some things, not really playing. It got one abend and e-mailed itself. I'll look at the instructions for uploading another save...

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 209
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 4/14/2014 6:56:02 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ingtar

Notice. I am starting again soon. I was acting way out to test some things, not really playing. It got one abend and e-mailed itself. I'll look at the instructions for uploading another save...

You sound like you did what some of the beta team members are doing!

(in reply to Ingtar)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI