Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New to WIF

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> New to WIF Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New to WIF - 1/15/2014 7:24:33 AM   
claystone_MatrixForum

Hey fellas, Just came across this game on youtube. I was able to watch the Matrix Tutorial on youtube to get a sense of the game. My type of game. I do have some questions before making a purchase.

1. Is there an "End Date" to the game? What i mean is will the game end on 1945? I'm hoping it doesn't and its more of a sandbox type of game.

2. I saw i can control just one country which i'm happy to hear. Is the other countries handle by the AI leaving me free to just worry about my own counties moves?

3. I like historical games but i love"sandbox" more. Does this game have the ability to be a sandbox type game? Meaning if i play as Germany can i keep Russia as my allie until the end of the war, or will the game be scripted to prevent that fom happening?

I'm hoping the game is not "Scripted" is what i'm getting too.

4. When i download the game does it come with all the patches or do i need to download those seperate?

Thanks for any help.

< Message edited by claystone -- 1/15/2014 8:26:07 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: New to WIF - 1/15/2014 7:29:47 AM   
warspite1

claystone the game is scripted to a degree. The idea is to have a historical framework so you get a WWII game - not a fantasy scenario.

So for example Germany, Italy and Japan will be Allies and USA, CW, France, China and USSR likewise.

Outside of that - and a (very) few other restrictions, you are free to play as you want and invade who you want. But beware - there are consequences for doing so!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to claystone_MatrixForum)
Post #: 2
RE: New to WIF - 1/15/2014 9:19:45 AM   
Orm

1) The game ends 1945 but there is a option to extend the game to 1948. But there are no new units for the extended part.

2) There is no AI yet but a AI version is constructed and will be added to MWIF for an additional cost. At the moment you have to play an entire side, Axis or Allies, but for netplay it is planned that you should be able to play just one of the major powers. Beware that Netplay has some bugs at the moment but it is a priority to fix those bugs.

3) The major powers are fixed on what side they are on. USSR is part of the Allies from the beginning of the game to the end. But, Germany, by sending lots of troops to the USSR border can keep USSR out of the war against Germany for a long time. I've heard rumours of the USSR being unable to DOW Germany as late as 1944. Keeping them out of the war until sometimes during 1943 is not unrealistic.

There is a lot of freedom in declaring war on minors, except Poland, that Germany is forced to declare war on as the game begins.

4) The game, as downloaded, do not contain the latest patches. But there is a update function that will download and install the patches automatically.

----

MWIF is based on a board game, World In Flames, and there is a political expansion to that game, Days of Decision, that make the board game playable from 1936. With this expansion I believe USSR is played as a separate side (not part of either Axis or Allies) from the beginning. See more at : http://www.a-d-g.com.au/

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 12:36:04 AM   
claystone_MatrixForum

Thanks fellas for the help.

As for the "AI" I thought it was already set up for the game?

So I CAN'T play as one major power as of yet? I can only play as either, Axis or Allied side, and I must move all Axis or all Allies pieces to complete a turn? So lets say i choose the Allies, the "game" will setup and move all the Axis pieces, correct? The reason I'm asking i just read i move both sides which would be dumb and a deal breaker on the game. I hope i misread that...:)

So what is the latest patch? Also is it hard to install the patches?

As for the scripted part i understand that it needs to be. I was hoping i could avoid the blunder Germany made by atacking Russia causing two "Fronts" to open up. Or playing as USA and just go straight for Berlin instead of Russia. I'm hoping one day a game will be made where WWII can be done over and the mistakes that happen or the attacks that were made will not be scripted in the game, or at least an option button to have to get that style of game.

So 1939 to 1945 or even 1948. That give 6 years only....For $100 for the game do you get good play for only 6 years of play? Im use to Crusaders kings 2 or Europa Univ where you get 400 years.

< Message edited by claystone -- 1/16/2014 1:55:54 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 1:05:13 AM   
Scott_WAR

There is no AI, so all countries must be played by people.

The AI is planned,...from what I understand it will be an expansion and will have to be purchased. No idea on how much or when.

Post #: 5
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 1:12:42 AM   
claystone_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

The AI is planned,...from what I understand it will be an expansion and will have to be purchased. No idea on how much or when.

So i have to move for Germany, and I have to move for England??? So I'm playing against myself? This makes no sense. Why would they make a game where i move for every country?!?!?? Man i really like what i saw in this game. That sucks. This is a deal breaker for me.

I guess everyone is playing multiplayer.

< Message edited by claystone -- 1/16/2014 2:15:59 AM >

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 6
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 1:38:50 AM   
alexvand

quote:

ORIGINAL: claystone

So 1939 to 1945 or even 1948. That give 6 years only....For $100 for the game do you get good play for only 6 years of play? Im use to Crusaders kings 2 or Europa Univ where you get 400 years.

It's not the number of years that it covers. It's how many hours of gameplay you get out of the game. An impluse of a single turn, (Sort of equivalent to a week of the war but not exactly)can take one hour or even more to play.

A single play through of the game can take many many many hours. I've been playing about 10 hours a week since release and have only reached January/February 1944.

Post #: 7
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 1:41:05 AM   
alexvand

quote:

quote:

So i have to move for Germany, and I have to move for England??? So I'm playing against myself? This makes no sense. Why would they make a game where i move for every country?!?!?? Man i really like what i saw in this game. That sucks. This is a deal breaker for me.

Because they are still building the AI.

What's more the game is so complex that you can play against yourself and successfully play the game. In fact, I would highly recommend it as a way to learn the game. I'm spending hours on it and I figure that by the time I'm ready to play someone else either the Netplay feature will be running smoothly or the AI will be ready.

I've been playing continuously since release and I still don't have this game nailed down. And I played the board game 10 years ago.

It is a fantastic game, but extremely challenging to learn to play well.

Post #: 8
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 1:48:53 AM   
claystone_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: alex_van_d

quote:

quote:

What's more the game is so complex that you can play against yourself and successfully play the game. In fact, I would highly recommend it as a way to learn the game. I'm spending hours on it and I figure that by the time I'm ready to play someone else either the Netplay feature will be running smoothly or the AI will be ready.

I've been playing continuously since release and I still don't have this game nailed down. And I played the board game 10 years ago.

You make some good points. I do like what i see in the game. I love very complex games. Moving against myself i feel like im cheating...lol.

I will give the game a shot. I hope they will get that AI up and running. If not I can always try multi player.

Thanks Alex

< Message edited by claystone -- 1/16/2014 2:49:35 AM >

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 9
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 5:02:38 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You make some good points. I do like what i see in the game. I love very complex games. Moving against myself i feel like im cheating...lol.

I will give the game a shot. I hope they will get that AI up and running. If not I can always try multi player.

Thanks Alex

warspite1

claystone - you have mentioned multiplayer a couple of times. Just so you are clear, please read the warning re net play before you purchase. The game currently is playable in solitaire mode only. Net play (currently for 2 players) is still being worked on. Just don't want you to be under any misapprehension.

Post #: 10
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 5:30:03 AM   
Empire101

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1

By the time the impulse changes and you start the other side, you will be so immersed in the game that you will forget most of what you where doing for the other side.

Of course its nearly impossible to spring a suprise on yourself, but it is the best way to learn how to play, and get a 'feel' for the game.

Once Netplay is sorted out, this game will literally take off!! AI's are fine to play against when you have no opponent, but nothing, and I mean nothing compares to another human opponent who is just as mean, vicious, and down right sneaky as I am!!

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 11
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 6:56:28 PM   
Werewolf13

quote:

quote:

In ancient time when we played with nothing but paper maps and cardboard counters playing solitaire against one's self was quite common. Easy way to learn the game, test out various strategies and tactics and have some fun. It wasn't always easy to find human opponents nor devote the time necessary to play against a person.

AND - it was often a case of mom or wife telling you to get that damned game off the floor or table and move it - more often than not (in my case - I liked the monster games like SPI's Terrrible swift Sword, War in the East, War in the West) the only place large enough to hold the map was the dining room table or even the entire living room floor.

You KIDS! Spoiled by Computers (me too now!)

Just to provide a frame of reference I played my 1st board wargame in 1962 - RISK! Got hooked and have been playing wargames ever since. Played my 1st PC wargame don a TRS-80 in 1979. I'd hazard a guess that both dates are prior to many if not most of the members of this forum even being born though I imagine there are a few old timers like me around.

< Message edited by Werewolf1326 -- 1/16/2014 8:01:38 PM >

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

Post #: 12
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 9:31:29 PM   
claystone_MatrixForum

lol..."Kids", i'll take that, lol. Being 45 i'll take that with me..:)

Btw, loved Risk and Axis and Allies. I remember me and my friends heading to the city to pick up Axis and Allies when we first heard about the game. Setting it up was so much fun. Man time flies.

Yes, it will be a nice learning experience to learn the game before the updates come out.

Warspite, yes i notice that the other day that there is no multi player as well, but thanks for the heads up.

Thanks fellas. You've been very helpful.

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 13
RE: New to WIF - 1/16/2014 11:58:05 PM   
FJeff

I'm no kid either. On the day JFK was shot I had stayed home from school "sick" and was playing Avalon Hill's D-Day (solitaire) at the kitchen table with the radio on.

And it's one, two, three,
What are we fightin' for?

Post #: 14
RE: New to WIF - 1/17/2014 12:18:22 AM   
alexvand

I guess I'm the youngun' at 40.

Started with Risk, then my Dad sat me down and introduced me to AH's BLITZKRIEG. Later that year found a copy of AH's 3rd Reich for a dollar at a garage sale. Nothings been the same since.

(in reply to FJeff)
Post #: 15
RE: New to WIF - 1/17/2014 1:23:53 AM   
chekers_MatrixForum

I'm 32 and started with Rise and Decline of the Third Reich when I was 8 or so. I was always a super nerd.

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 16
RE: New to WIF - 1/17/2014 12:27:22 PM   
shaddock

Just to join in, I started with Risk too, when I was 14. But then I bought a 3' x 5' map of the world and expanded the game. 1983/84 were good years for me :)
Then I got into wargaming with Panzer Armee Africa.

save the carrots; eat a vegan!

(in reply to chekers_MatrixForum)
Post #: 17
RE: New to WIF - 1/17/2014 7:32:56 PM   
Centuur

Tactics II was my first wargame. Pretty fast followed by France 1940 (I liked that game a lot) and there was Third Reich and Squad Leader (now that was something very, very nice... Anyone up to put that one - or ASL - on the computer? I'm buying...).
Than came WiF and that meant the gathering of dust on Third Reich started... It has been gathering dust ever since, I'm afraid...

Peter

(in reply to shaddock)
Post #: 18
RE: New to WIF - 1/17/2014 7:59:04 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur
Than came WiF and that meant the gathering of dust on Third Reich started... It has been gathering dust ever since, I'm afraid...

+1

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 19
RE: New to WIF - 1/17/2014 9:01:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

+1
warspite1
+2

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 20
RE: New to WIF - 1/17/2014 9:15:18 PM   
alexvand

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

+1
warspite1
+2

+3 Even with the Rising Sun expansion it just doesn't hold a candle to WiF.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 21
RE: New to WIF - 1/18/2014 7:20:21 AM   
ngcavscout

Combat Mission by Battlefront.com is a pretty good game of tactical level WW2 combat and actually started out as a computer version of ASL, then evolved into its present form. I recommend it highly. If I broke a rule by referring to a non-Matrix company I apologize.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 22
RE: New to WIF - 1/18/2014 8:24:36 AM   
Gizuria

quote:

ORIGINAL: chekers

I'm 32 and started with Rise and Decline of the Third Reich when I was 8 or so. I was always a super nerd.

What? AH's Third Reich? At 8?! I started playing that in my 20's and it was a tough cookie to get into. Colour me seriously impressed

And like others here, as soon as I discovered 'World In Flames' 1st Edition, I dropped A3R and never took it back up.

(in reply to chekers_MatrixForum)
Post #: 23
RE: New to WIF - 1/18/2014 9:33:22 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fascist Dog

quote:

What? AH's Third Reich? At 8?! I started playing that in my 20's and it was a tough cookie to get into. Colour me seriously impressed

And like others here, as soon as I discovered 'World In Flames' 1st Edition, I dropped A3R and never took it back up.
warspite1

Agreed! I could not imagine looking at something like 3rd Reich or WIF or any serious wargame at 8!! Wow - impressed.

At 8 I was firmly in the Escape from Colditz camp Appel!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gizuria)
Post #: 24
RE: New to WIF - 1/18/2014 10:24:08 AM   
shaddock

Hmmm at 8 years old I was still trying to beat my father and brother at chess. I had never ever heard of wargames till I was in high school (and I beat them both at chess :)

save the carrots; eat a vegan!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25
RE: New to WIF - 1/18/2014 10:59:32 AM   
joshuamnave

For me the first "real" game was Diplomacy. A3R and France 1940 soon followed, then I went mostly down the Eurogame track with the occasional dip back into grognard land. I'm afraid Kennedy was a bit before my time, but I was playing Risk and Chess before Reagan was shot.

Huh... did anyone ever make a game about the Iran hostage crisis or the failed rescue attempt? That might be interesting.

(in reply to shaddock)
Post #: 26
RE: New to WIF - 1/18/2014 1:51:58 PM   
gravyhair

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1
warspite1
+2

+3 Even with the Rising Sun expansion it just doesn't hold a candle to WiF.

You know, if anyone's interested A3R/RS turned into AWAW ("GMT "A World At War") and it is fantastic. A worthy sibling to WiF, with a slightly different emphasis but equal fun. I play them both. Good stuff.

Wise Men Still Seek Him

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 27
RE: New to WIF - 1/18/2014 2:56:26 PM   
Courtenay

I was playing Risk and Stratego early. My first two real wargames were Blitzkrieg and Africa Korps, which I got as Christmas presents when I was ten. Immediately after Christmas my family went on a ski trip, and I took Afrika Korps with me. When we got to the cabin, I discovered I had left the die at home. (I was very good at making mistakes like that. I still am.) So I got out a nickel, a dime, and a quarter, and made a little table to get a 1-6 out of flipping the three coins. (Had to reflip all heads or tails, of course.) I've been playing wargames ever since.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 28
RE: New to WIF - 1/18/2014 4:10:15 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fascist Dog

quote:

warspite1

Agreed! I could not imagine looking at something like 3rd Reich or WIF or any serious wargame at 8!! Wow - impressed.

At 8 I was firmly in the Escape from Colditz camp Appel!

Ahhh... Taking the Staff car out is very nice. That game is one of my sons favourites (since there is a Dutch version which I bought a long, long time ago)...

Peter

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 29
RE: New to WIF - 1/20/2014 12:34:28 PM   
Neilster

I started on WiF. Kind of a hardcore leap into a new hobby

I once made a die because I needed one for some boardgame. I made a cross shape by cutting paper and then folded in into a cube and sticky-taped it together. I got the idea from one of those maths/IQ test questions at school. It was big and bouncy but it worked

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> New to WIF Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI