Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Oil rules

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Oil rules Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oil rules - 1/18/2014 7:39:29 PM   
Majorball68

Never played with oil rules and some advice would be helpful. You can use an oil resource for production or store them up correct? Where is the best place to store them? Is it better to maximise production or store oil?
Post #: 1
RE: Oil rules - 1/19/2014 1:13:30 AM   
chekers_MatrixForum

The best place to store them is out of range of the enemies air but you are also going to have to spread them out because there is a maximum that can be stored in each city. If you overstore them you will be forced to destroy your stored oil.

(in reply to Majorball68)
Post #: 2
RE: Oil rules - 1/19/2014 2:08:22 AM   
Majorball68

In regards to production. I assume if you use them for production you cant store them?

(in reply to chekers_MatrixForum)
Post #: 3
RE: Oil rules - 1/19/2014 3:23:28 AM   
paulderynck

Yes once used for either production or re-org, they can't be used to produce with. One function per turn per oil resource.

Some people do store them and wait for the higher production multiples that come later in the game, but unless you have an awful lot of excess factories I don't think that is terribly wise. Units produced earlier theoretically can be used for a greater number of turns, thus making them more valuable than units produced later.

I would store maybe one more oil then I'd produce with when production multiples are low, but neutrals are limited as to how much they can store anyway. Watch out for situations where producing with a resource doesn't matter, FREX your PM is point 5 and you have 22 factories. Because you round up, you get the same production producing 21 resources as 22 - so store one oil instead.

As for where to store it - store it as far away as possible from the enemy and his strategic bombers and never in a place that can be invaded. Russia might sometimes store oil in its "hero" cities so that when they get surrounded, any aircraft in them can re-org and fight again another turn. Leningrad is where this may be seen most often.

Paul

(in reply to Majorball68)
Post #: 4
RE: Oil rules - 1/19/2014 5:22:10 PM   
WarHunter

I'm not saying anything earth shattering. Just adding to the conversation.

Like many things in life. Its better to have saved oil and not need it, than need saved oil and not have it.

Russia
Save 1 oil per turn as long as you dont lose a build point doing it. You need to prepare for a German invasion. Saved oil is not as important as units on the map. When war is declared, save some oil after the front is stabilized.

USA
Like Russia, don't lose build points if saving oil causes 1 less build point.

France
Saved oil is nice to have. Probably not more than 3 total. Save it in Syria.

China
Needs oil but has problems aquiring it. Save some for a rainy day. Use some for production if needed. Protect saved oil from Strategic bombing. Ask the CW for Burma oil.

CW
Save as much as you can around the world. Try not to compromise build points to much while saving oil. Send Burma oil to China when possible.

Italy
Save oil. Build one Synthetic plant. Save oil. Ask Germany for some oil.

Germany
Build Synthetic oil plants. Save oil. Use some for production if needed. Save oil. Send some oil to Italy.

Japan
Build Synthetic plants. All of them. As early as possible. Save oil in every city. As much as you can. When you think you have enough. Save more. Late game when the blockade of Japan is in full force. Consider spending saved oil for production of needed units.

Nothing is written in stone. Feel free to comment, question, argue about any nation.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 5
RE: Oil rules - 1/19/2014 5:56:21 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

I'm not saying anything earth shattering. Just adding to the conversation.

Like many things in life. Its better to have saved oil and not need it, than need saved oil and not have it.

Russia
Save 1 oil per turn as long as you dont lose a build point doing it. You need to prepare for a German invasion. Saved oil is not as important as units on the map. When war is declared, save some oil after the front is stabilized.

USA
Like Russia, don't lose build points if saving oil causes 1 less build point.

France
Saved oil is nice to have. Probably not more than 3 total. Save it in Syria.

China
Needs oil but has problems aquiring it. Save some for a rainy day. Use some for production if needed. Protect saved oil from Strategic bombing. Ask the CW for Burma oil.

CW
Save as much as you can around the world. Try not to compromise build points to much while saving oil. Send Burma oil to China when possible.

Italy
Save oil. Build one Synthetic plant. Save oil. Ask Germany for some oil.

Germany
Build Synthetic oil plants. Save oil. Use some for production if needed. Save oil. Send some oil to Italy.

Japan
Build Synthetic plants. All of them. As early as possible. Save oil in every city. As much as you can. When you think you have enough. Save more. Late game when the blockade of Japan is in full force. Consider spending saved oil for production of needed units.

Nothing is written in stone. Feel free to comment, question, argue about any nation.

I agree with this. These seem to me to be the rules to give the AI Opponent to use regarding saving oil.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/19/2014 6:56:36 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 6
RE: Oil rules - 1/20/2014 3:33:55 AM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I agree with this. These seem to me to be the rules to give the AI Opponent to use regarding saving oil.

I hope the AI saves lots of oil, and uses it to!

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 7
RE: Oil rules - 1/20/2014 5:25:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I hope the AI saves lots of oil, and uses it to!

warspite1

That would be one of the good ways to ensure the AI provides a challenge to a human opponent. The AI always plays with unlimited oil.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Oil rules Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI