Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Red Storm: Fill the Gap

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Red Storm: Fill the Gap Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/26/2014 4:34:37 PM   
djoos5

Here is the latest version of my Red Storm campaign scenario 1.

NATO vs. Soviet Union
Date/Time: 10th November 1990
Playable Sides: NATO

In 1990, inside the Soviet Republic, hardline Communists within the politburo and military who do not abide President Gorbachev's perestroika and glasnost stage a coup d’état and wrest control of the Soviet power to themselves. Knowing NATO would be quick to react against them and would try to return the former president to power; they unleash the Soviet Navy and ramp up Eastern European Bloc forces. It is the onset of World War III.

NATO, having been taken by surprise by the coup, reacts as quickly as possible but fails to stop the capture of Iceland by the Soviets. With the G-I-UK gap now compromised, the American, Norwegian and British Navies rush to fill the gap with attack subs so as to contain the Soviet forces. With SOSUS out of commission, it is the only way that NATO can keep Soviet Boomers from sailing off their coasts. In France and Germany, the land forces clash and the Europeans desperately cry to the United States for resources. The US Navy 2nd Fleet, hampered by scheduled servicing of its ships, turns its one active carrier, the USS Nimitz, north towards Iceland and the Faroe Islands to project power at the island nation as well as into the Norwegian Sea.

Note
This is Scenario 1, Fill the Gap, of a three-scenario campaign called Red Storm. In this first encounter, the United States, along with its NATO allies have been taken by surprise by the Soviet aggression. The player will face a situation with limited assets and a number of objectives, of which the Primary will be the ultimate goal for success of the scenario. Points will be earned on all objectives, but scores are affected most by primary goal success.

The following scenarios will pick up where the last has left off and take into account munition usage, maintenance and losses, along with reinforcements. Additional assets will be made available to each side as the war progresses and the combatants gain a better control of their situations.

Scenario 2: Vampire Vampire! will focus on the Soviet plan to decimate the U.S. Navy’s vaunted carrier battle group.

Scenario 3: Keflavik or Bust will focus on the NATO forces trying to wrest control of the island nation of Iceland from the Soviet invaders

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by djoos5 -- 2/3/2014 8:50:02 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/26/2014 4:35:34 PM   
djoos5

As always, I appreciate constructive critiques.

Scenario 2: Vampire Vampire! should be out a lot sooner now that I have a better understanding of scenario design.

< Message edited by djoos5 -- 1/26/2014 5:46:55 PM >

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 2
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/26/2014 4:45:49 PM   
djoos5

I'd like to extend credit and thanks to:

Tomcat84, strykerpsg, Russian Heel, Jakob Wedman, Mustag07bis, fonz_, Bazza042, GBoatz, Maromak, Flankerk

For helping me with suggested changes, input on assets, and strategies.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 3
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/26/2014 6:30:54 PM   
tombo

How /where does this scenario go?

thx for this!

cheers.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 4
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/26/2014 7:40:15 PM   
tombo

i figured how to install...so far SCN nicely done.

(in reply to tombo)
Post #: 5
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/26/2014 9:01:06 PM   
IWS

<SPOILER>

I think the sheer number of TLAMs from the 3 US SSNs already in range of the Iceland airfields might be a bit OP.
Launched all 48 in a TOT soon after the scenario started, destroying Keflavik and (slightly) damaging Reykjavik.

This made the CV task force transit portion of the scenario a walkover (though hunting down the subs still took effort)

Maybe swap out one or more of the US SSNs with a 688 variant that doesn't have the VLS TLAMs?

(in reply to tombo)
Post #: 6
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/26/2014 10:07:49 PM   
djoos5

Yea...I tried that tactic in one of my test runs and I got a good result from the Tomahawk strike, too.

Cool. I will make a change.

Thanks for the input.

[EDIT] IWS, do you think a change in the subs is the better option or enhance the defenses on Iceland?

< Message edited by djoos5 -- 1/26/2014 11:10:36 PM >

(in reply to IWS)
Post #: 7
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/26/2014 10:13:43 PM   
djoos5

One of the suggested changes for my scenario was to change Reykjavik and Keflavik into multi-unit airports instead of the single units. I thought this scenario I'd just go with the single units since Iceland isn't the primary target and break them up in the next two. Perhaps a change in design would make the Tomahawk strike a greater challenge?

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 8
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/26/2014 11:05:33 PM   
Maromak

I would agree with the suggestions to reduce the number of TLAMs available and create multi-unit airbases. I have just reached the point in the scenario where both Iceland airbases were taken out. Prior to that the enemy fighters were swatting my fighters out of the sky quite easily. Lost 6 x F-15s and 6 x Tornados. (If I'd been micromanaging these could have been slightly less severe.)

Thanks again for the great scenario. I expect finding the Soviet subs will be next to impossible.

Certa Cito

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 9
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/26/2014 11:10:32 PM   
IWS

quote:

IWS, do you think a change in the subs is the better option or enhance the defenses on Iceland?

<SPOILER>

I think the Iceland defenses are pretty respectable, and there's the story question of how heavily the Sovs could/would reinforce Iceland while WW3 rages in Europe.

Maybe try switching two of the three SSNs to Flight-1 688s (no VLS) and see how that goes?

I'm guessing many players are likely to do a TLAM strike right off the bat. So the Iceland defenses will need to be able to survive that, in the interest of fun. More of a "grind them down" situation using the CVBG as it gradually closes the range.

Story-wise, it would make sense for flight-IIs to be forward deployed anyway-- they would have land targets for their TLAMS, and the Barents Sea is a more challenging environment. That leaves the Flight Is playing defense in the GIUK gap, which fits the scenario.

You might be able to improve air defense a bit without adding more resources if you tweak the missions.
The TLAMs got through because of numbers and timing. A single 1/3 rule barcap mission, by itself, can't handle that kind of surge. But dividing the resources between a smaller barcap and an "all-in" defensive air intercept mission to back it up might.

Agreed that making the Iceland airfields multi-unit could be a good idea, since they are very much expected to be attacked :-)

< Message edited by IWS -- 1/27/2014 12:13:58 AM >

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 10
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/27/2014 12:53:00 AM   
djoos5

Thanks for the input, guys. It is really helpful.

I am going to start reading the book on how to build a quality airfield.

(in reply to IWS)
Post #: 11
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/27/2014 1:10:25 AM   
djoos5

I have updated the attachment above with the suggested changes. I am going to play it out now with the Flight I's and see how it goes.

I think I will hold off on multi-unit airports for the next mission, as the subs are supposed to be the primary focus in this scenario.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 12
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/27/2014 2:55:40 AM   
djoos5

Not sure if anyone has downloaded my game file since my last post at 8:10 PM, but I had to just reupload the file. I had a enemy mission set as inactive.

Fixed now.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 13
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/27/2014 3:08:36 AM   
djoos5

I took the mission down again. I have to correct the broken mission for the Soviets.

I will upload it again tomorrow.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 14
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/27/2014 3:14:33 AM   
Primarchx

You'll want to make the Iceland bases conglomerate and make Stornoway a single-unit (unless it's supposed to be attacked). Fewer TLAMs would be good. Deleting one of the Aegis ships for an NTU SM-2ER cruiser would be cool! Good work thus far.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 15
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/27/2014 3:27:32 AM   
djoos5

Cool, Primarchx.

I am currently re-tooling it so I will go ahead and change the Iceland airfields to multi-units. The TLAM issue was reduced by changing the subs and I will look into an Aegis change, too.

Thanks for the comments.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 16
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/27/2014 5:59:04 AM   
djoos5

Per your suggestions:

1x AEGIS cruiser removed to allow for a Belknap NTU SM-2ER
Reduced the number of enemy airbases to 1, but made Keflavik a multi-unit airbase (left Stornoway alone)
Fixed the bug in the mission controls for the Soviets

It is now uploaded again. I will play through it once more tomorrow to ascertain that it worked right, but enjoy it for now.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 17
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/27/2014 1:02:58 PM   
Primarchx

Sounds great! Got started last night but I'll try the new one tonight.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 18
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/28/2014 2:47:22 AM   
djoos5

This needs tweaked again. I have run it twice today and I can't understand why the Soviet Badger bombers launch and then land without performing their strike.

I will update the thread once I have the code correct for the AI.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 19
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/31/2014 6:42:18 PM   
blh42

Not sure what has gone wrong but I'm never questioned about which side to select. Then the scenario shows up but without any units. When I click on the mission editor, the game tells me that I haven't chosen a side yet.. something is wrong here.

blh

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 20
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/31/2014 8:41:11 PM   
delphihawk

blh, I have problem like you with this scenario and with Battle of the First Salvo too

(in reply to blh42)
Post #: 21
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 1/31/2014 11:19:17 PM   
djoos5

Not sure what is happening. I just downloaded my attachment and opened it up. It came up with the NATO option and ships appeared.

Maybe Devs have an answer. What version of CMANO do you have installed - I am running Build 486.

(in reply to delphihawk)
Post #: 22
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 2/1/2014 6:00:14 AM   
djoos5

Attachment has been updated to my final release of this first scenario. I finally got the enemy AI to act/react how I wanted it. I still need to learn a bit more, but this scenario is done. I will put my new efforts into the next scenario in the campaign.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 23
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 2/1/2014 4:36:51 PM   
Flankerk

Played this through again, got about 540 points but suspect that wasn't a win. Located many SSN and SSGN types but not the SSBN's.

Had a good battle on my hands to win the air war, then a lot of strikes against Iceland to reduce its capabilities.

Didn't encounter any problems and will play this again at some stage.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 24
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 2/2/2014 4:30:53 AM   
djoos5

Cool, thanks for the input.

(in reply to Flankerk)
Post #: 25
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 2/2/2014 2:28:14 PM   
mcp5500

DJoos5, This scenario will not launch for me. i am new here but i have gotten other downloadeds to work. I get the scenario breifing and when i hit continue and no objects load on the map. any help please. thanks

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 26
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 2/2/2014 2:47:10 PM   
mcp5500

I got it. I had to apply update 486. thanks

(in reply to mcp5500)
Post #: 27
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 2/2/2014 5:45:52 PM   
Dannyp19

Tried this one last night and really enjoyed it. I I've always liked the GUIK scen.'s

Thought Keflavik airfield was too easy to destroy with TLAMS. The badgers came after my CVBG, but I nailed the recon. Bird and chewed up the bombers before they could fire a shot. Never found the Yankee subs but sunk a few other ones.

One thing. Are the SOSUS arrays suppose to be working? Got a lot of contacts from them. I had the impression from the briefing that they were not working.

(in reply to mcp5500)
Post #: 28
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 2/3/2014 1:13:05 AM   
djoos5

I have gotten a common response about the subs being hard to find. It might not be a good theme to build a scenario on, or maybe I should reduce the amount of ocean to search. Anyway, glad you enjoyed.

When I tested, I got the recce bird too and it hampered the Soviet offensive. Of course, I knew they were out there so that made it easy.

I put half of the SOSUS line in place after a suggestion from a player.

(in reply to Dannyp19)
Post #: 29
RE: Red Storm: Fill the Gap - 2/3/2014 8:34:42 AM   
Flankerk

The SOSUS arrays were working well, must admit I did a quick rethink, am I looking for Yankee, SSBN,? The Yankee Notch are a SSGN so I might have found two of the targets?

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Red Storm: Fill the Gap Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI