Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No patch today?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> No patch today? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No patch today? - 1/31/2014 8:53:30 PM   
gravyhair

?

Wise Men Still Seek Him
Post #: 1
RE: No patch today? - 1/31/2014 11:39:24 PM   
Numdydar

As noted in the tech support forum, it is being processed. Whatever that means. No eta though.

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 2
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 12:02:33 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I do not have an ETA either. However, I can provide the list of changes:

Release Notes for Version 1.1.2.0
(as of January 30, 2014)

1. For NetPlay fixed the problem with only one computer implementing the Bessarabia Claim when it was granted.

2. For NetPlay made similar changes for implementing the Finnish Borderlands Claim, Northern Ireland Claim, and Japan’s Closure of the Burma Road.

3. Fixed several problems with selecting which major power aligns attacked minors. The order in which the major powers were asked whether they wanted to align a minor country was incorrect at times. Other problems occurred if more than one major power declared war on the same minor country. The code now works correctly for a stressful test case I ran: Germany DOWs Denmark and Greece, Italy DOWs Greece and Portugal, and Japan DOWs Portugal and Mexico. Obviously, this also affected NetPlay.

4. Fixed a hole in the logic of the Use Oil form where it was possible to cause an infinite loop that eventually generated a fatal error: “Application seems to be frozen.”.

5. Disabled closing the US Entry Pool form unless its OK button is enabled. Some players were closing the form when the US still needed to draw chits at the beginning a new game. That would cause a fatal error (divide by zero) since the next line of code moved markers to the Tension Pool, and there were no markers to move.

6. Fixed a recent typo that caused a fatal error in air-to-air combat when the defending side voluntarily aborted bombers.

7. Made changes for the Unlimited Breakdown optional rule processing immediately prior to the Production phase. These changes force Reforming divisions that were destroyed (and are now in the Broken Down Pool) into corps, which are also in the Broken Down Pool, so the corps units are returned to the Force Pool prior to the Production phase. Previously a non-fatal error was occurring under these circumstances.

8. Fixed a problem with reinforcements where an air unit was not being permitted to set up in a city if there were only 1 city available and a militia unit was also arriving in that city (e.g., a Hungarian air unit and the Budapest militia). That line of code was intended only for other land units, to prevent placing them in the only city available to the militia unit.

9. Fixed a problem with Annual Additions in Jan/Feb causing a fatal error.

10. Enabled scrapping units following Annual Additions in Jan/Feb. This isn’t a big change since it has no effect on game play because players have an opportunity to scrap units prior to Production at the end of the turn.

11. Fixed a problem with the potential interception of units returning to base during the Return To Base phases causing all the other units that still need to return to base being left out at sea.

12. Fixed the problem with naval units at sea moving to a lower section box potentially being intercepted by enemy units in the sea area. That no longer occurs.

Cosmetic

13. Changed how the unit list is sorted for the Select Units form. The carrier air units are now next to the carriers on which they are loaded.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 3
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 5:00:27 AM   
Empire101

Fantastic!!

Keep up the good work Steve!!
All your hard work is very much appreciated.

Thankyou.

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 4
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 8:19:41 AM   
Cataphract88

Hi Steve,

Will the new patch fix the broken automatic updater?

Richard

Post #: 5
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 9:19:37 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

Hi Steve,

Will the new patch fix the broken automatic updater?

Matrix is working on that (see other thread) but I do not know that they are able to fix it already. Perhaps that is the reason for the delay in 'processing' (which is a nice word for whatever happens between Steve uploading adjusted game files and Matrix making them generally available).

As we did not see anything coming out of Matrix during Friday business hours, I think it is save to say that there will not be a patch coming out this weekend. Unless Steve puts the new MWIF.exe on the forum as an hotfix. Which he did around Christmas as a special gift to us all (but regrets it still a bit, I think).

(in reply to Cataphract88)
Post #: 6
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 10:30:03 AM   
joshuamnave

Not to be a pest, but what's the status on the supply bugs? The game has reached the point (for me at least) where almost all of the other bugs, while still irritating, can at least be worked around. But supply issues plague every game and there is no workaround for them.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 7
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 10:44:35 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

Not to be a pest, but what's the status on the supply bugs? The game has reached the point (for me at least) where almost all of the other bugs, while still irritating, can at least be worked around. But supply issues plague every game and there is no workaround for them.

They have been working up their way on the list - I think we are pretty close to the point of them being targetted. Your Alexandria bug was a supply bug, btw. But an isolated one.
But I should let Steve anwer this, before I say anything which promises too much and creates disappointment.

(in reply to joshuamnave)
Post #: 8
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 1:35:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

The production office was overloaded on Friday, it looks like we'll have to release this on Monday.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 9
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 4:51:16 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I keep trying to get 3 days to just work on supply. Any less than that and I won't get very much done. NetPlay requires a similar level of commitment. I worked on the NetPlay DOW bugs and went through both accepting and denying the Bessarabia (et al) Claims. That led to the problems with the multiple DOWs on minors requiring the series of accept/reject alignment decisions by the non-phasing/Axis side. Poof! 4 days gone.

Each week I try to eliminate some of the easier bugs when players provide saved games. For solitaire I try to keep all the combat phases pristine: air, land, and naval. That's so I can do the same for them for NetPlay.

Right now I am going over all the bug reports for January (again). Many of them have already been fixed, and others are duplicates. But I don't know that until I look into them in detail.

For the coming week I plan on 2-3 days for NetPlay, 2-3 days for Supply, and another day of investigations into other stuff. Yeah, I still work 7 days a week on this. But I have cut back to 4-6 hours a day so I am no longer as monomaniacal as before.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to joshuamnave)
Post #: 10
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 8:53:51 PM   
Dabrion

When will people get their money back ?!

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

Post #: 11
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 9:47:49 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

Get a lawyer and go to court...

Peter

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 12
RE: No patch today? - 2/1/2014 10:23:38 PM   
Dabrion

Thats expensive. Will you sponsor me?

Spending money to get money back kinda defeats the purpose..

< Message edited by Dabrion -- 2/1/2014 11:24:40 PM >

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 13
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 5:12:30 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

To be fair, I did warn you you were making yourself look a little foolish in threatening legal action. You said in response that you were getting a lawyer friend to help you for free.

So what happened - did he give you similar advice?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 14
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 8:54:20 AM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

To be fair, I did warn you you were making yourself look a little foolish in threatening legal action. You said in response that you were getting a lawyer friend to help you for free.

So what happened - did he give you similar advice?

+1

Peter

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 9:23:17 AM   
Orm

Could we, please, move on?

Be nice, please.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 16
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 10:08:07 AM   
Dabrion

I take that as a not for the sponsoring.

My original question was:

quote:

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 17
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 10:43:57 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

I do not understand why that question appear in a thread that is about when the patch will be released. In my opinion that question belong in another thread.

Do move on, please. Otherwise this is getting close to trolling and I do dislike using that word.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 18
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 1:07:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

..and the original answer was, they won't, Just like I won't with EiA or a great many other people won't with games they should never bought. Just like I won't with a piece of crap Peugeot 309 I bought years back.

So be a grown up and move right along.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 19
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 1:21:49 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

..and the original answer was, they won't, Just like I won't with EiA or a great many other people won't with games they should never bought. Just like I won't with a piece of crap Peugeot 309 I bought years back.

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are frustrated with the current state of the game. Had people truly known what condition the game was in at release I doubt many would have purchased it. Netplay was spouted as the way 2 people could play and that 4-6 person play was going to be worked on with the Ai not long after that.

Then not long after release when it was found that Netplay was totally dysfunctional, it was posted that it was going to be the priority, but the game itself had so many game stopper bugs that netplay has pretty much taken a back seat and several bugs that had been reported fixed simply weren't or broke other aspects of the game.

It's evident the game was released way too early and could easily have taken another 6 months in beta, and that's still with no AI.

So while Dabron might be a little crass at times with some of his comments, he no doubts reflects the feelings of a good number of us that have already purchased the game.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 20
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 1:32:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are frustrated with the current state of the game. Had people truly known what condition the game was in at release I doubt many would have purchased it. Netplay was spouted as the way 2 people could play and that 4-6 person play was going to be worked on with the Ai not long after that.

Then not long after release when it was found that Netplay was totally dysfunctional, it was posted that it was going to be the priority, but the game itself had so many game stopper bugs that netplay has pretty much taken a back seat and several bugs that had been reported fixed simply weren't or broke other aspects of the game.

It's evident the game was released way too early and could easily have taken another 6 months in beta, and that's still with no AI.

So while Dabron might be a little crass at times with some of his comments, he no doubts reflects the feelings of a good number of us that have already purchased the game.
warspite1

Well there are things I'd like to say too but my NDA and/or good manners precludes it...so I'll leave it at that. Over to you Dabrion, the floor is all yours.

Edit: Spelling

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/2/2014 2:54:19 PM >

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 21
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 1:48:11 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

You might indeed be right. But then that should be posted in threads that are on that subject. I see no relevance about this in a thread named "No patch today?". We often get off topic on this forum but the manner this has happened lately is close to what I consider trolling.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 22
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 4:01:34 PM   
Dabrion

You force me to point to small print ;)

quote:

No Trolling. Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the message board. Trolling could be directed towards one user or a group of users. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion; it only encourages personal attacks and will not be tolerated.

I hope my question did not insult you. It encouraged further discussion already. It might have been offtopic, agreed. I wouldn't mind if you reply in fresh thread...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 23
RE: No patch today? - 2/2/2014 4:07:09 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

No Trolling. Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the message board. Trolling could be directed towards one user or a group of users. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion; it only encourages personal attacks and will not be tolerated.

I hope my question did not insult you. It encouraged further discussion already. It might have been offtopic, agreed. I wouldn't mind if you reply in fresh thread...

Peter

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 24
RE: No patch today? - 2/3/2014 12:32:18 PM   
Toby42

quote:

quote:

So you calling me "Stupid" is not considered Trolling? Interesting....

Tony

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 25
RE: No patch today? - 2/3/2014 3:10:34 PM   
Ubercat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I keep trying to get 3 days to just work on supply. Any less than that and I won't get very much done. NetPlay requires a similar level of commitment. I worked on the NetPlay DOW bugs and went through both accepting and denying the Bessarabia (et al) Claims. That led to the problems with the multiple DOWs on minors requiring the series of accept/reject alignment decisions by the non-phasing/Axis side. Poof! 4 days gone.

Each week I try to eliminate some of the easier bugs when players provide saved games. For solitaire I try to keep all the combat phases pristine: air, land, and naval. That's so I can do the same for them for NetPlay.

Right now I am going over all the bug reports for January (again). Many of them have already been fixed, and others are duplicates. But I don't know that until I look into them in detail.

For the coming week I plan on 2-3 days for NetPlay, 2-3 days for Supply, and another day of investigations into other stuff. Yeah, I still work 7 days a week on this. But I have cut back to 4-6 hours a day so I am no longer as monomaniacal as before.

All of this difficulty could be done away with if you'd just set aside 5 years or so to get unit testing implemented!

"I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers." -William H. Gascoyne

Post #: 26
RE: No patch today? - 2/3/2014 3:23:37 PM   
Dabrion

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

quote:

Guess that would depend on my intentions and whether or not you woult take insult..

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 27
RE: No patch today? - 2/3/2014 3:38:35 PM   
Ubercat

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

quote:

Guess that would depend on my intentions and whether or not you woult take insult..

It sure is a good thing that intentions on the internet are always so clear.

"I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers." -William H. Gascoyne

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 28
RE: No patch today? - 2/3/2014 6:36:00 PM   
Jobylens

Are we still likely to get an update today or is it too late?

(in reply to Ubercat)
Post #: 29
RE: No patch today? - 2/3/2014 6:43:44 PM   
Brainiac 6

If Matrix doesn't fix the updater, can the patch be released for manual installation?

(in reply to Jobylens)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> No patch today? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI