Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Designing a Modding tool

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Designing a Modding tool Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/1/2014 7:58:13 AM   
Data

no wind here

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 31
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/1/2014 12:24:37 PM   
yummie

Good Morning Another exciting Day Of Working on this Its the Weekend Lets see if we can Finish up The design end of the Read tab today and try and get some functionality started. Still have about 2 pages in the manual to get into the tab left to get coded and placed and populated. Then will work on making sure it sizes race pictures right. Also will look for an AIP for picture editing. The will work on See where we are. In a bit. Igard should be posting new pictures when he wakes up if you can't wait or someone else wants to post the links just shot me a PM and I'll send you the Link to post. Okay now to get to work will check back in a bit.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 32
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/1/2014 2:45:48 PM   
yummie

Finished front end of race.txt Done other than alignment Screen shot will be up when I can back end time,

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 33
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/1/2014 4:14:40 PM   
Igard

Sorry I'm so late posting. This is shaping up nicely. Looks superb guys!

< Message edited by Igard -- 2/1/2014 5:19:33 PM >

(in reply to yummie)
Post #: 34
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/1/2014 7:34:15 PM   
tjhkkr

I have to agree... it is quite impressive.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 35
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/1/2014 9:43:08 PM   
yummie

Thank you Sorry it is taking so long to make as this. DW is extremely moddable So there is allot front end and a lot of back end to do. But the best way to tackle this is one step at time and keep plugging away at it. Just in the read section there is 117 elements. Which we will have to write it all. On top of that have to make it reuse able and so forth, That way there are no errors. But the layout has changed again. But I think its going to stay the way it is now Just will have to clean it up. Looks great I think. Later on when we are not working on back end of the code i'll get a pic sent out. Thanks again.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 36
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/2/2014 1:13:57 AM   
yummie

UPDATE:

Races file completely saved with all values, Saves images correctly, currently working reading data from files so they can be edited,*Revised can read now must make it populalte drop down menus , Also working on finishing up on the mouse overs for the read tab done with is. Okay So this is the complete . I mean complete Read.txt file you will be able to modd every type of possible value in the read me file or you can choose to skip what don't you want. But You will have to option to be as detailed oriented as you like with your race creation.page 26 of modd manual is where we are currently, will be stalled there till We finish rest of read tab. The read me txt will look different from the original but We left out all the none readable parts of the text and its pure coding. Will enable quick loading of your races into the tool for editing. So we not will not need to write the extra script. But you can follow the mod manual, to figure out what everything is easily and it is still labeled. So not a lot of questions so far. So has any one come up with a good name for this modd I like to hear some If you all dont mind wasting a little time and brain power.Also striping for Nick and making him go blank SO slowing him down so i can catch up to him.

< Message edited by yummie -- 2/2/2014 4:56:45 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 37
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/2/2014 7:31:31 PM   
yummie

Okay Been gone most of the day, Nick is taking day off from project, I'll be doing some house cleaning that needs to be done. So no hard coding being done today. More of a lazy day. I Might start on The policy tab in a little bit and get that going as the read tab is almost done. Made some edits to a few text based errors in the hoover overs and it is looking good. It is nice and clean and very smooth running so far.
EDITED****
EXPECT AN UPDATED SCREEN SHOOT OF THE FINISHED LAYOUT OF THE RACE TAB. JUST SENT IT OFF TO Igard THE ONLY THING NOT FUNCTIONAL RIGHT NOW IS LISTING ALL THE RACES COMPLETED WITH TOOL IN THE RACES PANEL AT THE BOTTOM. HOPEFULLY THAT GETS DONE SOME TIME TOMORROW... Also will be a short day programing for me tomorrow, wont have ALL day to program. Have to pay some bills and also get fresh air. BTW this is Project day 4. Not as exciting as the other days. But the Policy tab is created and the lay out is complete. WIll start Labeling Soon. Expect a screen shot of that tomorrow.

< Message edited by yummie -- 2/3/2014 1:16:21 AM >

(in reply to yummie)
Post #: 38
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/3/2014 1:21:11 PM   
yummie

OKay so after looking at the Policy tab dont like the layout So going to try and figure a better way of doing it. The problem is That description is way to long So the amount of space needed for each one is insanely long and makes the race tab format not comptable for the policy tab. So going to play around with it till get somingthing i can deal with. That looks great on top of being functional. So Retracting that policy tab layout is done, Sorry Has to look good on top of being functional.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 39
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/3/2014 1:26:38 PM   
Igard

Here's the latest pic from yummie. It's progressing well and very easy on the eye too.

Yummie wanted me to post a message with the pic. I think the part about policies she's already updated you on, but here it is anyway.

Okay this is the finished layout of the Read tab it is functional all but the bottom half where it displays all the races that have been created. Should get to that soon. The rest is completely functional and working. With completed hoover overs explaining what each modification does according to the manual. I am currently working on the Layout of the policy tab Looks just as sharp. Let me know what you think so far. With the current state of that tab People can Have access to ever possible thing you can mod through the Read.txt File. While not trying to figure out how to do it. It also associates all Pictures with the race that is created, Once polices are done Biases will be next. Doing policy's shouldn't take long as We have already made most of the List for the drop down menus. So work should fly and should be done with that as soon as all 155 items are assigned places on the menu. although there are way more Items to add to than the read.txt file work should go fast. Hope You approve of the work so far and NEXT Picture update will be done once the Policy tab is done.

(in reply to yummie)
Post #: 40
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/3/2014 2:09:38 PM   
Bingeling

Not a modder, but I love this work.

At delusional moments I have even considered doing something similar, but that is by someone not really personally interested in using it, and that in addition hate any coding smelling like GUI work :)

If Universe lands with changes, don't scrap old work. Make multiple versions.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 41
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/3/2014 4:01:32 PM   
yummie

Well kinda of came to a stall can't figure out how to make the layout for the policy tab, every thing i have come up with so far ruins the flow of the tool. SO going to have to think on this one while i am out paying bills and what not. If you have any ideas that might work or you want to see what i am doing on page 28 is where the flow gets messed up. I will also talk to nick about it when he gets off work. But Day 5 looks like we hit a huge road block. I want it to look good and have a certain flow to it while being function. So really going to have to think about this and try come up with something that is both functional and looks good. Also thinking about making the drop down menus glow when you have selected something so it is easier to keep track of what you have chosen for the mod since there are so many chooses. Like to hear what you all think on that ideal.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 42
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/3/2014 4:46:34 PM   
hewwo

Even though I have no good feedback for you guys on the policy tab, I still want to chime in and say this is awesome! I was modding a bit but got annoyed with all the .txt files so I gave up. Oh, having a GUI for modding the diplomatic dialogs would be 100% awesome as well :)

(in reply to yummie)
Post #: 43
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/3/2014 7:52:35 PM   
Igard

I'm sure you'll come up with something. There are a lot of values in the policy file. Did you know you can edit the policy file in-game? It's not ideal because you have to load each race, but if you haven't looked perhaps it's worth checking out. It's pretty much just a big list of check boxes and combo boxes.

Glowy boxes!! That's a nice idea.

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 44
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/3/2014 8:21:47 PM   
yummie

Okay response time,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Not a modder, but I love this work.

At delusional moments I have even considered doing something similar, but that is by someone not really personally interested in using it, and that in addition hate any coding smelling like GUI work :)

If Universe lands with changes, don't scrap old work. Make multiple versions.

Oh there will be several versions of this We are going to do one button updates for it also. So updating to different versions should be easy. We will deal with the changes as they come, No9t to worried about. If it is moddable then a program can be written for it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: hewwo

Even though I have no good feedback for you guys on the policy tab, I still want to chime in and say this is awesome! I was modding a bit but got annoyed with all the .txt files so I gave up. Oh, having a GUI for modding the diplomatic dialogs would be 100% awesome as well :)

Already in the planning stage for that So will be in the tool, also compents and even the game.txt will be there also. This is a complete modd total.Also thank you for your support, Glad to see some excited people
quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

I'm sure you'll come up with something. There are a lot of values in the policy file. Did you know you can edit the policy file in-game? It's not ideal because you have to load each race, but if you haven't looked perhaps it's worth checking out. It's pretty much just a big list of check boxes and combo boxes.

Glowy boxes!! That's a nice idea.

Yeppers sure did, But dont want to copy them, But I think I got it figured out will have to go back and modify the race tab some what and make it constant, But will look more in sane and be grouped which will make it even easier to understand and find what you want to find.

Thanks for all those who have shown interest in this tool it harms my heart to see response and interest in something me and my bf are making.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 45
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/4/2014 4:30:39 AM   
Shark7

If this works out, it will make things a lot simpler for mods. Right now the biggest problem I have is not understanding how to mod the game, but rather the inevitable typos I make editing the text files. And those can be very difficult to track down...after a while of looking for errors, the whole document just turns into one giant jumble of letters.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to yummie)
Post #: 46
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/4/2014 5:40:52 AM   
yummie

Try looking for errors in the coding Me and nick are doing that can be a huge pain in the booty, But I think it is fun and a challenge. Also finding new and exciting ways to make it run smoother is also Fun. But very difficult. But fun when you do with people You enjoy there company. But When you are doing it alone Gets tedious, But you hit the head on the nail. I am to lazy to actually make a mod for this Game and then look for errors. So lazy That I am doing this tool hahah Joking.. But will be a snap when it is done. I also sent out latest release of the tool to igard so look for the new pictures tomorrow. Then you should differently check in for the the pictures after that as We have exciting developments That Will not only change the look but also speed up the program drastically. And of course more of the tool will be designed. Normally a tool like this takes Months to be released. We are shooting for a month tops. While having little to no errors. At this point we are on day 5, of the project and we are way ahead of scheduled.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 47
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/4/2014 11:12:25 AM   
ehsumrell1

Keep up the good work Yummie (& Yummieslave! )

Can't wait until you see what's been done in DW Universe!

Charge on!!!!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to yummie)
Post #: 48
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/4/2014 11:16:47 AM   
yummie

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Keep up the good work Yummie (& Yummieslave! )

Can't wait until you see what's been done in DW Universe!

Charge on!!!!

I know he should be just as bold as me but he is to busy sleeping on his stomach so i cant give him a reach around hahahah and of course how else is it going to get done and thanks.....

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 49
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/4/2014 12:02:09 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: yummie
Try looking for errors in the coding Me and nick are doing that can be a huge pain in the booty, But I think it is fun and a challenge. Also finding new and exciting ways to make it run smoother is also Fun. But very difficult. But fun when you do with people You enjoy there company. But When you are doing it alone Gets tedious, But you hit the head on the nail. I am to lazy to actually make a mod for this Game and then look for errors. So lazy That I am doing this tool hahah Joking.. But will be a snap when it is done. I also sent out latest release of the tool to igard so look for the new pictures tomorrow. Then you should differently check in for the the pictures after that as We have exciting developments That Will not only change the look but also speed up the program drastically. And of course more of the tool will be designed. Normally a tool like this takes Months to be released. We are shooting for a month tops. While having little to no errors. At this point we are on day 5, of the project and we are way ahead of scheduled.

From my own days in data processing many moons ago, I should think once you have the basic pattern, it just becomes an issue of getting the correct values for the program to do the data edit. And you might be able to even create a flat file to aid in that so you do not have to recode the program if they make value changes [I doubt they will]...
I am very impressed. This is a fine piece of work.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to yummie)
Post #: 50
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/4/2014 12:16:45 PM   
yummiesslave

Thanks, it's always nice to hear from another programmer. We started out separating our tasks, yummie on the front end, me on the back end; but now I'm teaching her oop. She's a quick study, and should be able to finish it on her own, though I won't let her. I'm having too much fun. Programming is my passion, and I can't get enough. We have a surprise for tomorrow that will cut down on processor load heavily, while being visually appealing and easy to use. We're doing our best to follow simple naming conventions and spread the code across easy to recognize classes, so that when we decide to release the code, someone could pick up the mantle easily. Yesterday we got the opportunity to create a custom user control, which I haven't done in a while. Too much fun. Bonus points for who can tell where the custom control is when the new screenies come out.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 51
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/4/2014 1:15:30 PM   
yummie

quote:

ORIGINAL: yummiesslave

Thanks, it's always nice to hear from another programmer. We started out separating our tasks, yummie on the front end, me on the back end; but now I'm teaching her oop. She's a quick study, and should be able to finish it on her own, though I won't let her. I'm having too much fun. Programming is my passion, and I can't get enough. We have a surprise for tomorrow that will cut down on processor load heavily, while being visually appealing and easy to use. We're doing our best to follow simple naming conventions and spread the code across easy to recognize classes, so that when we decide to release the code, someone could pick up the mantle easily. Yesterday we got the opportunity to create a custom user control, which I haven't done in a while. Too much fun. Bonus points for who can tell where the custom control is when the new screenies come out.

Oh i know i know pick me pick me oh wait i helped write it lol. So i suppose my guess doesn't count.

(in reply to yummiesslave)
Post #: 52
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/4/2014 10:07:23 PM   
hewwo

hehe you guys are awesome

(in reply to yummie)
Post #: 53
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/4/2014 10:41:54 PM   
yummie

if someone that can post img links would be so kind as to message me ill send you the link to the new images as long as you post them here for me i still cant post till i think Thursday. that be awesome. igard seems to not have checked his mail. probably busy today ill check back every 5 minutes to see if i have a message. and thanks we are average people that do awesome things is all. well i am average nick is insane

< Message edited by yummie -- 2/4/2014 11:43:13 PM >

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 54
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/5/2014 2:21:34 PM   
yummie

Updated images
This one is the about page not many changes

Race page basically fully working just buggy since we started using containers. The switch Has caused some bugs that need to be worked out. But basically its change class names and locations and also a few other complicated issues.

Polices page as of right now Will change format in races to follow this format.

Okay so this is how races will some what for loading races. Polices will have a similar loading option so.

Okay that's it for now hope you all like it, Bussy day today got to work a lot of hours. Will try and work on it later on tonight. Oh and honorary I can finally post my own pictures finally so Will be more updates and less waiting for Up dates and pictures.

< Message edited by yummie -- 2/5/2014 3:38:40 PM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 55
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/5/2014 3:14:15 PM   
Igard

Sorry guys, couldn't get near my computer yesterday. This is looking glorious! Keep up the excellent work.

Here's the last report that yummie sent me before she got her link posting privileges -

So here we go Progress report time, A lot got done. As you can see We Gotten it to read the Pictures and verify they are there. To display and also be click-able, This will turn into the way you edit and delete existing races. Very simple design very easy to use. Also We are going to switch the Races design over next few days to match the Style of the Policy tab. As it cuts down on space and also organizes it in a fashion Me and Nick think will be more user friendly and less overwhelming for the user. We have also Talked about Adding editing bay so you can even edit and listen to the sounds for the Game and modd them. Expect a lot of Little changes over next few days that will Make this tool a lot less cumbersome and also improve the look and fell of the tool. Me and Nick would Like Say thank you to all those that Have made comments supporting the development of this tool and would love to see more support oriented replys being made. It is helping us Push to make the best possible tool For all the Modders and would be modders out there. At the end of the Making of this tool Expect to see a few modds designed by both me and nick made from this very tool Also Want to thank Igrad For posting The Pictures of the tool as we are designing it. Since the forum rules wont allow us to do so. I my self I am very excited about the direction this Project is going even with the frustration of the policy tab has caused. Also want to thank Nick for drooling over me and making me horny and not able to concentrate on the damn tool, or it would be futher along so blame him c(8....

Nick, try to control yourself sir!

< Message edited by Igard -- 2/5/2014 4:20:44 PM >

(in reply to yummie)
Post #: 56
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/5/2014 7:00:06 PM   
yummie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Sorry guys, couldn't get near my computer yesterday. This is looking glorious! Keep up the excellent work.

Here's the last report that yummie sent me before she got her link posting privileges -

So here we go Progress report time, A lot got done. As you can see We Gotten it to read the Pictures and verify they are there. To display and also be click-able, This will turn into the way you edit and delete existing races. Very simple design very easy to use. Also We are going to switch the Races design over next few days to match the Style of the Policy tab. As it cuts down on space and also organizes it in a fashion Me and Nick think will be more user friendly and less overwhelming for the user. We have also Talked about Adding editing bay so you can even edit and listen to the sounds for the Game and modd them. Expect a lot of Little changes over next few days that will Make this tool a lot less cumbersome and also improve the look and fell of the tool. Me and Nick would Like Say thank you to all those that Have made comments supporting the development of this tool and would love to see more support oriented replys being made. It is helping us Push to make the best possible tool For all the Modders and would be modders out there. At the end of the Making of this tool Expect to see a few modds designed by both me and nick made from this very tool Also Want to thank Igrad For posting The Pictures of the tool as we are designing it. Since the forum rules wont allow us to do so. I my self I am very excited about the direction this Project is going even with the frustration of the policy tab has caused. Also want to thank Nick for drooling over me and making me horny and not able to concentrate on the damn tool, or it would be futher along so blame him c(8....

Nick, try to control yourself sir!

Thanks, for posting I Forgot all the changes We had made, And now I can post. On lunch break Yeah wont be another picture up till tomorrow, But Ill be able to focus on it more then. Sorry pay check comes first.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 57
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/5/2014 7:01:42 PM   
tjhkkr

Do you have a real time code interpreter... or do you have to compile to check if your syntax is clean?
Or is the struggle with testing the completed screens/logic flow?

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 58
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/5/2014 9:34:00 PM   
ASHBERY76

Looks nice.The race polices have 6 tech focus and not 2 like shown.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 59
RE: Designing a Modding tool - 2/5/2014 10:08:07 PM   
yummie

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Looks nice.The race polices have 6 tech focus and not 2 like shown.

policies isnt done yet, So if there are 6 then there will be 6. As for races Everything is there altogether with just those 2 is 117 for races and 155 for polices, to mod. This is according to the manual. So every thing is there or will be there when done. Plus you'd have to scroll down further to see every thing. It also will not allow you select out side the ranges of what the game deems valid.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Designing a Modding tool Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI