Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows 8.1 and blank terrain

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia >> Tech Support >> Windows 8.1 and blank terrain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 2/10/2014 6:31:09 PM   
AngrySwan

I have had this game for some years and it has worked so far. When I tried to install it on a new machine with Windows 8.1 64 bit, here is what happened:
The original version 1.1 installed and runs, but the terrain is blank. Update to 1.20 does not change anything (I have tried everything else - running the application as administrator, turning off antivirus and firewall and changing some settings). Other than blank terrain, everything else runs.

The ogre says ''Cannot find grass.dds, will be left blank.'' This did not cause any trouble at all on my old machine but the new one cannot handle it. The game reinstalls without errors but reinstall does not change anything.

The problem may be the ''RGB issue for Windows 8.1'' so I am looking forward to an interesting weekend reinstalling my graphics drivers.

ogre is not responsible for the problem, it gave the same error message on my old machine but the game displays correctly even in v.1.11.
btw the same RGB issue also affects Geamany at War. The terrain looks brown, creating a ''Fascists on the Mars effect''. Otherwise the game runs.

< Message edited by Marechal -- 2/12/2014 11:42:56 AM >

The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 3/2/2014 4:39:16 PM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello,

sorry for the late reply, i only look in here from time to time, not on a regular bases. Could you resolve the problem by adjusting the drivers or does it persist ?

Regards,

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 3/9/2014 7:02:58 PM   
AngrySwan

Hi,

The battle with the graphic drivers has been postponed since I wanted to install the rest of the games first. Now when everything else works, the battle with RGB will start.

(in reply to Ronald Wendt)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 3/10/2014 6:09:08 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marechal

Hi,

The battle with the graphic drivers has been postponed since I wanted to install the rest of the games first. Now when everything else works, the battle with RGB will start.

ok, its seems this is not an exclusive issue with OB but rather a sytem wide problem then ?

Regards,

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 3/16/2014 6:42:10 PM   
AngrySwan

It is an issue with this game and also Germany at War. Nothing changed after reinstalling the graphic drivers.
I will keep those two games on my other computer that uses Windows 7.

Other games run on Windows 8.1.

Let me know if you have a solution, otherwise we can wait for the next Win 8 service pack.

Post #: 5
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 3/18/2014 7:13:40 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello Marechal,

OB does not deliver detailed information, but as you own Germany at War, too : could you send us a screenshot that shows the problem and the corresponding logs you can find at: C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Germany at War ?

Thanks in advance & Regards,

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 6
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/6/2014 12:57:15 PM   
gilestiel

Hi,

I have same problem, terrain is black.
I'm on Windows 8.1 with latest NVidia driver.
Tested with Intel graphics HD doesn't work too.
Solution for this black groung?

Regards.

< Message edited by gilestiel -- 7/7/2014 11:51:34 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/8/2014 6:07:55 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello gilestiel,

we have tested the game with Windows 8.0 and the latest NVidia driver as well as with Windows 7 and an ATI gfx card. Both times the game runs without a problem.

There is a chance though that this error is caused by the fact that NVidia does not support 8-Bit textures with their latest drivers anymore.
In time we will provide a patch for this, but currently we are busy with other projects so it will probably take some time.

As we can not reproduce this on our machines, it is hard to find the cause.

Did you try compatiblity modes already ?

Regards,

(in reply to gilestiel)
Post #: 8
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/8/2014 6:29:41 AM   
gilestiel

Hi Ronald,

I have tried compatibility option from Windows XP to Windows 7 but doesn't work.

Like mentioned in my previous message, i have also installed and tested on my Surface Pro 2 that have a Intel Graphics
chipset HD4400 and didn't work too.

Difference , i'm on Windows 8.1 ( both on my desktop and Surface ).

Regards.

Post #: 9
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/9/2014 9:18:04 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello gilestiel,

could you provide a screenshot ? Maybe it indicates something new.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ronald

(in reply to gilestiel)
Post #: 10
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/9/2014 8:01:30 PM   
gilestiel

Hello,

I have this message and can't post image :

"You are not allowed to post links for 7 days from the date of your tenth post."

So i'll try to send you by email or add 3w missing in the begining of this line below :)

gilestiel.eu/temp/OBSFR.jpg

< Message edited by gilestiel -- 7/9/2014 9:01:21 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/11/2014 4:38:34 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello gliestil,

thanks a lot for the screenshot, yesterday i got my hands on a 8.1 machine and it showed the same display of the terrain.
Its most likely that this is due the new texture policy (we had a simular phenomena with Germany at War) its just a bit odd that it appears on 8.1 and not with 8.0.

Anyway we will fix this, but it might take a while as other projects have priority right now.

Regards,

(in reply to gilestiel)
Post #: 12
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/11/2014 7:48:43 AM   
gilestiel

Hello Ronald,

Just to keep you informed, on both my tablet and desktop, i have no problems of texture with Germany At War. It work fine.

Regards.

Post #: 13
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/15/2014 5:04:20 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello Gilestiel,

quote:

ORIGINAL: gilestiel

Hello Ronald,

Just to keep you informed, on both my tablet and desktop, i have no problems of texture with Germany At War. It work fine.

Regards.

thats good to know, the GaW engine should work fine as its up to date. OB is on the market for almost four years now, so there is a chance for glitches if new technologies are introduced.

Regards,

(in reply to gilestiel)
Post #: 14
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/25/2014 1:59:31 PM   
gilestiel

Hello,

Just an update, I'm on Windows 7 now, and I have same problem. So I think is not really version of windows.

Regards.

Post #: 15
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/29/2014 4:49:29 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello gilestiel,

quote:

Hello,

Just an update, I'm on Windows 7 now, and I have same problem. So I think is not really version of windows.

Regards.

but you still use a Nvidia card ?

Regards,

(in reply to gilestiel)
Post #: 16
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 8/6/2014 7:51:19 PM   
gilestiel

Hello,

Yes, this is NVidia card.

To resume, I have the problem on my all computers with systems below :

One with Intel chipset graphics card 4400 on windows 8.1
And other with Nvidia Card GTX 780, on windows 7/8/8.1

Regards.

Post #: 17
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 8/7/2014 5:44:00 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello gilestiel,

quote:

Hello,

Yes, this is NVidia card.

To resume, I have the problem on my all computers with systems below :

One with Intel chipset graphics card 4400 on windows 8.1
And other with Nvidia Card GTX 780, on windows 7/8/8.1

Regards.

thanks for the details, all points at the changes in the driver mentioned above.

Regards,

(in reply to gilestiel)
Post #: 18
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 9/13/2014 7:02:26 PM   
Teignnews

Same for me with Win7 and an ATI 7800 series card. Any chance of a fix?

Post #: 19
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 9/22/2014 3:55:48 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello Teignnews,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Teignnews

Same for me with Win7 and an ATI 7800 series card. Any chance of a fix?

thanks for your report, didn't have this with ATIs so far.

As mentioned above there will be a fix if it is linked to the smae error, but it will take some time as we work on new stuff so you sadly have to be patient for a while.

Regards,

(in reply to Teignnews)
Post #: 20
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 11/25/2014 11:28:26 AM   
AngrySwan

This fall I had an opportunity to buy a new gaming computer, Asus with preinstalled Windows 8. Bought in a store with all papers and warranties and so on. The install version of OB run fine, with terrain as it should be, and so did version 1.20. However, this week my Windows upgraded itself to 8.1 without my consent (there is a forced upgrade to Windows 8.1) and the blank terrain problem is there again.

Conclusion. The game has a problem with Windows 8.1 even if it runs perfectly on older systems ON THE SAME COMPUTER.
(The issue that Microsoft is not paying enough in fines does not concern this discussion and this forum so I will leave it out.)

However after system restore I am back to Windows 8 and normal terrain, although this means merry Christmas reinstalling my game collection. And from now on I will treat all Windows updates as potentially unwanted.

< Message edited by Marechal -- 11/25/2014 6:18:52 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 11/26/2014 4:52:43 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello Marechal,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marechal

This fall I had an opportunity to buy a new gaming computer, Asus with preinstalled Windows 8. Bought in a store with all papers and warranties and so on. The install version of OB run fine, with terrain as it should be, and so did version 1.20. However, this week my Windows upgraded itself to 8.1 without my consent (there is a forced upgrade to Windows 8.1) and the blank terrain problem is there again.

Conclusion. The game has a problem with Windows 8.1 even if it runs perfectly on older systems ON THE SAME COMPUTER.
(The issue that Microsoft is not paying enough in fines does not concern this discussion and this forum so I will leave it out.)

However after system restore I am back to Windows 8 and normal terrain, although this means merry Christmas reinstalling my game collection. And from now on I will treat all Windows updates as potentially unwanted.

our experience exactly.

Still we will release a patch for this issue OB didn't cause. The trouble currently is that the development environment for OB is not compatible with the one of GaW and our latest game.
This means we have to wait for some days for installing all the old stuff on an old system. The time for changing in the code is probably neglectable, but all in all its nothing that can be done on the fly.

So it will not happen soon due to our current situation.

We are sorry for this, but the other games have a higher priority right now.

Regards,

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 22
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 11/26/2014 7:53:46 AM   
AngrySwan

Hello Ronald,

The patch now is a low priority for me too as the new computer will run for years and the other one can run OB on Windows7.
I will definitely look at your new game.

Post #: 23
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 7/20/2015 3:38:04 AM   
boerne78

Good evening:

I recently los my old window 7 computer and purchased a new win 8.l ASUS computer with NVidia graphic card and like the others when I install my game-get blacked out terrain though I can manage to make out the units, forest, and cities. I tried putting it on my virtual machine but guess it still uses the same graphic card settings. Anyway, I was checking to see if any fix was ever developed or a work around discovered for this situation as I really like that particular game from your company. I virtually buy all games on your site either as they come out or as I get some mad money to buy older ones previously passed up. is there any helpful suggestions that might resolve this situation and I understand fully that this is not an economical or time-wise area for patching but hoping just maybe.'

Respectfully,

Michael J Wallace

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 24
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 11/8/2015 9:56:50 AM   
terminator

Here is an example of the blank terrain:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terminator -- 11/8/2015 10:57:37 AM >

(in reply to boerne78)
Post #: 25
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 11/10/2015 4:56:36 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello,

thanks for the screenshot, the bug is known and the solution as well. The problem is more the time to create a new version (as this will include some other things). This year did not take the direction we hoped so this means a delay especially for the promised OB fix/update. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 26
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 8/20/2016 12:16:08 AM   
kosmoface

I just bought the game. Black environment.

Money well wasted.

Post #: 27
RE: Windows 8.1 and blank terrain - 8/23/2016 8:42:48 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi kosmoface,

i am sorry this purchase did not work well for you.

First i want to say that it does not state in the productinfo that OB would work with any OS higher than Win 7 ( OB Info ).
Also this problem is known and documented for a while now. We know what needs to be fixed but we currently do not have the manpower to solve it. We are too busy maintaining Germany at War and developing our new game Army General. We surely hope we find the time to update OB to newer operating systems one day. This is on our todo list for quite a while now.

Anyway i hope Matrix is showing some mercy here so you can get you money back. We hate unsatisfied customers.

Regards,

Ronald Wendt

(in reply to kosmoface)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia >> Tech Support >> Windows 8.1 and blank terrain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI