Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Too Fun!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Too Fun! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Too Fun! - 2/12/2014 5:41:27 PM   
icecreamsoldier

Enemy sniper on my flank - but my half-track just arrived ... that will flush him out :)

I never got to play Advanced Squad Leader - but this is prolly what it was/is like.

Too many nice touches to mention - boardgames play SO much better for us lone-wolfs on the computer!

ics

Post #: 1
RE: Too Fun! - 2/12/2014 7:12:25 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Are you playing the AI or head to head?
quote:

ORIGINAL: icecreamsoldier

Enemy sniper on my flank - but my half-track just arrived ... that will flush him out :)

I never got to play Advanced Squad Leader - but this is prolly what it was/is like.

Too many nice touches to mention - boardgames play SO much better for us lone-wolfs on the computer!

ics

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to icecreamsoldier)
Post #: 2
RE: Too Fun! - 2/12/2014 7:27:47 PM   
comsolut

Played three scenarios so far today. Already getting a handle on the DRM's and importance of leaders to calling on board mortar fire. By trial and error learned that engaging snipers in melee (particular after they have just fired is a good way to eliminate them).

Playing against the Ai in "A Partisan Defense" on normal and lost a very exciting game as the Germans. My stack with Leader, 2 squads equipped with Satchel charge and the very effective flamethrower advanced into a building across the street from several partisan stacks. The Germans came under heavy fire and the two squads became shaken. A Russian hero, dodging opportunity fire crossed the street, entered the building and eliminated all the Germans. The Russian hero, in the next turn, then picked up the flamethrower and eliminated the SD222.

Most fun I have had getting defeated in a long time.

(in reply to icecreamsoldier)
Post #: 3
RE: Too Fun! - 2/12/2014 7:44:40 PM   
Tom Proudfoot

That sounds like some hero!

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 4
RE: Too Fun! - 2/13/2014 1:48:06 PM   
comsolut

The scenarios also play differently each time, adding to the fun. Would be nice if there was a way to record scores (within the game) to try and beat prior efforts.

Looking forward to a few multiplayer games and of course DLC's, since the basic engine works great, adding more content is the next exciting step!

(in reply to Tom Proudfoot)
Post #: 5
RE: Too Fun! - 2/13/2014 2:03:25 PM   
markhwalker

Hi Guys,

You can record the scores in the campaign. The campaign tracks kills, melees, etc. but...

quote:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! This game is nothing like squad leader.

World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 6
RE: Too Fun! - 2/13/2014 2:07:00 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

Hi Guys,

You can record the scores in the campaign. The campaign tracks kills, melees, etc. but...

quote:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! This game is nothing like squad leader.

HAHAHAAHA! This is Mark's usual response to that statement. His hair stands out, face turns red and steam comes out of his ears.

This game plays much more smoothly than ASL, for me, because once you know the rules you never need the rule book again or even the combat tables.

About the only similarity is that they both are squad level tactical games. Both are fun... this is just more funner.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 7
RE: Too Fun! - 2/13/2014 3:14:15 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, but at the risk of aggravating Mark, it does scratch the same itch for many of us. Perhaps it's what we wanted ASL to be.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 8
RE: Too Fun! - 2/13/2014 3:36:32 PM   
markhwalker

ASL is grea,t Erik. Might be a better game than LnL, I dunno. But outside of scale I think the two feel much different. Either way, I'm glad this scratches an itch, wherever it is.

World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Too Fun! - 2/13/2014 3:37:37 PM   
darrellb9

Thanks Mark and all involved for bringing this game to us. Have only played through tutorials but so far it's meeting or exceeding my hopes for this game.

I've been waiting more years than this game has been in development for the equivalent of SL (sorry Mark ) on the computer. Original SL for me. I never liked ASL, so many rules/tables it felt more like research than gaming half the time The simplicity of the rules in LnL is refreshing and IMO much more fun.

Great job guys

Post #: 10
RE: Too Fun! - 2/13/2014 4:29:53 PM   
markhwalker

Thanks, DB99. Glad you enjoy it.

(in reply to darrellb9)
Post #: 11
RE: Too Fun! - 2/13/2014 8:41:34 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Proudfoot

That sounds like some hero!

Like the song says "I need a Hero".

(in reply to Tom Proudfoot)
Post #: 12
RE: Too Fun! - 2/13/2014 8:43:57 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yes, but at the risk of aggravating Mark, it does scratch the same itch for many of us. Perhaps it's what we wanted ASL to be.

Ditto. Us wargamers have been wanting a new SL/ASL type game since Steel Panthers. This is it. Now when someone asks for a game like Squad Leader or Advanced Squad Leader I can reoommend this game instead. Been recommending SPW@W for over 10 years now it seems.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Too Fun! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI