Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: First Impressions, please!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> RE: First Impressions, please! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/13/2014 8:57:23 PM   
markhwalker

BTW, Sniper's TM is doubled against direct fire, but not mortars (Remember the Band of Heroes episode where Speir ordered the mortar to fire on the sniper till they collapsed the roof?). Hence, the two best ways to take out snipers is with Melee or mortar fire.

World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 31
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/13/2014 9:01:52 PM   
fentum

To me, this feels more like a cross between Combat Commander and Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles than ASL. Elegant mechanics with a focus on gameplay vs fiddliness. A strong narrative emerges from the gameplay, which is excellent.

Post #: 32
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/13/2014 9:38:14 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Took the plunge and bought it.  Played one scenario and was enjoyable.  The game works well.  No download problems, free link to downloader if you need one.  I like the setup - multi-player,AI or Solo.  Will take alittle time to learn the editor.  I would recommend if you have't bought the game yet, I wouldn't wait. 

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to fentum)
Post #: 33
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 12:48:38 AM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

Mike, Sabre21,

Thanks. Glad you are enjoying it.

I sure am and I'm spreading the word around here where I live. I have a couple friends that will pick it up before long.

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 34
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 1:20:32 AM   
RobearGWJ

I tried Partisan's like everyone else, and failed twice. Then I read some of the tactical advice here. Once I sorted out spotting and leaders and such, I tried again.

It took some work getting my mortar team out of harm's way; I had to send a leader in to rally them after an attack, then he got hit and the medic had to run out and help. But I was able to get the mortar team to safety.

I attacked with the other leader and his stack, with another squad for support, on the flank. That went well; I was able to damage some partisans while advancing, then I melee'd a large stack into oblivion. (Love the flammenwerfer...) A few cats and dogs were taken down, then the partisans decided to assault my line. They lost two squads moving in the open street, but the third melee'd one of my squads to death, and also died in the process.

Eventually, I flanked the main partisan position, pulled some fire with a squad crossing the street and rolled them up from the flank with both leader's stacks. Finished up on the last turn.

This was on Hard. So once you get used to the system, it's a good, fun challenge, with lots of little stories in each turn. (I know the above is a bit vague for an AAR, but I'm trying not to spoil anything...) Definitely fun and I'm ready to move on to another scenario, or maybe this one from the Russian side.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 35
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 6:06:44 AM   
kfmiller41

quote:

ORIGINAL: comsolut

Reminds me of Squad Leader. (Which I loved, but hard to find opponents. So AI is for me the biggest advantage)

Artwork is great.

Played the ambush scenario and the AI was decent.

Went to BoardGame Geek and downloaded some quick reference guides, and that really helped me get into the mechanics of the game fast.

Very intuitive, and less eye strain than COH (from the constant board movement).

I agree with this, reminds me very much of squad leader which i played so long ago i almost forget
Awesome design and very easy to pick up the game play but it will be hard to get good at this i can see already

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 36
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 11:53:11 AM   
markhwalker

quote:

To me, this feels more like a cross between Combat Commander and Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles

Lock 'n Load predates both of those systems by several years.

quote:

mortar team out of harm's way; I had to send a leader in to rally them after an attack,

All Weapon Teams (the counter size between squads and tanks, such as the mortar) can self rally. No leader required.

World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 37
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 12:00:15 PM   
RobearGWJ

Isn't it easier to rally them with a leader? IE, two chances? The damn sniper was making their life miserable and that was the best way I found to get them out of that situation.

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 38
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 6:23:08 PM   
Redmarkus5

I like a lot of things about this game, but I'm playing the first German campaign scenario (the one with the child) for the 10th time on Easy and I still can't manage to save the child AND take all the VPS in the time allotted. Honestly, if the Nazi's had actually put this much effort into saving Russian children, I would have voted them back in years ago!

I really do think that war games need to stick to educating players on the ugly reality of war, in which civilians who get in the way are simply shot, and their demise does not trigger an automatic defeat.

I guess there's an AAR somewhere that explains the gaming ploy needed to win this one. I would prefer to win it using a reasonable facsimile of military tactics...

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to RobearGWJ)
Post #: 39
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 6:32:05 PM   
Tom Proudfoot

There is Option B: eliminate all enemy units and do the rescue offscreen. Most scenarios will be an auto victory if you kill every single enemy unit.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 40
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 6:36:17 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

I like a lot of things about this game, but I'm playing the first German campaign scenario (the one with the child) for the 10th time on Easy and I still can't manage to save the child AND take all the VPS in the time allotted. ....
I guess there's an AAR somewhere that explains the gaming ploy needed to win this one. I would prefer to win it using a reasonable facsimile of military tactics...

How are you losing? Are you running out of time? If yes this means you are spending too much time not moving your troops forward. You need to be aggressive and draw enemy fire with single squads then shake or kill them with your other troops.

There is no "gamey" ploy to be able to win this.

I don't know of an AAR that shows one way to win this scenario. But there are many ways to accomplish the needed victory conditions.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 41
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 7:08:11 PM   
aaatoysandmore

The fact that the game is determined in turns is what makes it challenging. You basically don't have enough time to just sit there and wait for an opportunity to pounce on the ai. I remember that about Squad Leader too. It's one reason I don't like canned scenario's anymore as they get samey and the longevity of the game diminishes. I do hope there is a scenario editor in the game or a lot of different makeups of units to choose and use before each mission. Only thing is no matter what you choose differently it sounds like it's the same mission (save dah baby) over n over for as long as you play it. For future wishes Mark a random battle generator would be quite welcome.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 42
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 8:18:21 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Proudfoot

There is Option B: eliminate all enemy units and do the rescue offscreen. Most scenarios will be an auto victory if you kill every single enemy unit.

But the 'girl' keeps running towards the Soviets and if she gets shot in the crossfire it's an automatic defeat and you can't progress to the next battle. I'm just a dumb-ass anyway. I lose most war games I play... ignore me.

(in reply to Tom Proudfoot)
Post #: 43
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 8:33:10 PM   
Redmarkus5

Just played it again. On T6 the girl ran into a house next to a Soviet unit. I moved Wurtz there but before he could take command of her and move her to safety, she was killed by Soviet fire. Immediate defeat. All other achievements irrelevant.

Damn it. I'm tired of complaining on these forums and sounding like a psycho. Uninstall and back to real life for me!

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 44
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 9:05:10 PM   
lparkh

I am playing the German campaign and i found the first the hardest of the 3 I've played. Tips: focus on probing with single units to draw fire. Then concentrate on making half squads without ldr cower. They never rally after that. If the ruskies have fully fire use that opportunity to move up. Use smoke if u have the time. Keep joing units wt ldrs to get the 6 points of movement. Took me 7 tries. Now i could probably do it most times. Second scenario i won the 1st time!

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 45
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 11:01:22 PM   
darkmul

First Impressions.
The command activation is very good and is good at simulating degrading effect of battle on the command structure.
With Medics, heroes and leaders there is plenty of choice in how you play.

The maps are very nice and it looks like we will be able to make our own. All forms of terrain as you would expect which seem to fall into 3 grades, open, Degrading and Blocking. LOS is based on what is in the way not just the hex e.g. a small building doesn't block the entire hex, all LOS starts from the hex center to the targets center hex.

The counters have all the required information so you do not have to look up tables. You also have a pile of support weapons to give your troops. Tank combat works well and is nicely detailed with hit location and deflection angles, and tanks can't see anything buttoned up with out help.

The manuals are very good, but the game relays all the information of the mechanics with die rolls you really don't need to read the manual till later, you can jump straight in and get wasted to a man. Also the counter system at the bottom of the screen tells you what actions are available, this is a really good feature.

There is support Aircraft and Artillery which feel big as it should.the maneuver element is only 10 men.

The tactical changes to the battlefield e.g smoke, star shells and rubble creation works well.

There is an editor but it does not have a manual as yet. Looking forward to this.

Multiplayer is there but I have not found anyone as yet.

All in all the games is only complex in its size, all the rules are very easy to understand.

This is a great game. I would recommend this game to anyone who likes the squad board games.

Thanks to Mark and Matrix and there respective teams that brought out a quality game, they should be proud.

thanks
Dark Mullisha.

(in reply to Noypi53)
Post #: 46
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/14/2014 11:56:29 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

Just played it again. On T6 the girl ran into a house next to a Soviet unit. I moved Wurtz there but before he could take command of her and move her to safety, she was killed by Soviet fire. Immediate defeat. All other achievements irrelevant.

Damn it. I'm tired of complaining on these forums and sounding like a psycho. Uninstall and back to real life for me!

Wow the game is that hard for you? I haven't met a game yet that I couldn't eventually beat. I really gota get this one as it sounds better than Pandora.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 47
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 1:04:40 AM   
Harv

Add me to the "either I really suck at this and/or the game is really really hard" camp. Took three times for mission one of the German campaign, barely squeaked the second mission with my last possible move of the last turn, and was just utterly crushed in mission 3. And I mean crushed. All on Normal difficulty, and I'd hate to be the masochist who tries Hard difficulty at my "skill" level.

It is great fun however, and anything both entertaining and thought provoking like this while beating the crap out of me is nothing short of highly recommended. Off we go again....

Post #: 48
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 1:06:29 AM   
Titanwarrior89

This game is a blast.  Love the tanks and flamethrowers.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Post #: 49
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 1:37:48 AM   
jwarrenw13

Re the Nazi and the child, I had the honor of going on a terrain walk of the Hurtgen Forest while stationed in Germany in the 1980s, with American and German veterans of the battle, and a group of American officers from the 2nd Bde, 8th Infantry Division. One German veteran told the story of his lieutenant. During the fighting one night an American soldier ended up between the lines wounded. For what seemed like hours he cried out for help. Finally the German lieutenant told his men he couldn't stand it any longer and had to try to help the American. The lieutenant went out and never came back.. They found his body and the American, now dead, later. The lieutenant had apparently been shot by Americans in the night. I have not played that scenario, but I have no problem envisioning a German soldier trying to help a child in the middle of a battle, despite the brutality of the Nazi regime and the horror of the war in Russia.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 50
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 2:06:09 AM   
Gizuria

Well well. Doesn't this look the business? Bought it and downloading now.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 51
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 10:48:59 AM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

quote:

Wow the game is that hard for you? I haven't met a game yet that I couldn't eventually beat. I really gota get this one as it sounds better than Pandora.

Well, good for you! But did you beat it by applying realistic military tactics such as suppression fire and maneuver, keeping one foot on the ground etc? I was an infantry officer for 10 years and trust me, I NEVER sent a squad forward to draw the enemy's fire and uncover his positions - the surest way to get yourself fragged, by the way. In this game I can't even employ MG fire on possible enemy positions, THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL INFANTRY TACTIC. But there I go again, taking on the Pandora gamers and expecting a sensible conversation about WW2 combat. Happy 'GAMING' LOL

Post #: 52
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 11:20:18 AM   
fentum

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, good for you! But did you beat it by applying realistic military tactics such as suppression fire and maneuver, keeping one foot on the ground etc? I was an infantry officer for 10 years and trust me, I NEVER sent a squad forward to draw the enemy's fire and uncover his positions - the surest way to get yourself fragged, by the way. In this game I can't even employ MG fire on possible enemy positions, THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL INFANTRY TACTIC. But there I go again, taking on the Pandora gamers and expecting a sensible conversation about WW2 combat. Happy 'GAMING' LOL

That is an interesting point. BoB:SE deals with it quite well by giving a cover modifier and several 'decoys' rather than requiring spotting. I wonder how an 'area fire' concept might affect the game.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 53
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 11:25:51 AM   
Barthheart

Sorry you didn't like the game redmarkus.

HoS was never intended to be a detailed simulation of infantry tactics in WWII. It is intended to be a
squad level combat game set in WWII.

Sure some things aren't exactly as in RL but that's what makes it a game. To make the scenarios tense and action packed
the designer has made it so you can't just sit around and blast away at empty/full hexes hoping to hit something.
You have to be pro-active and aggressive as the attacker. You are on a tight time schedule and must maneuver to get
things done.

Anyway, I hope you come back and play it from that point of view.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 54
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 1:02:50 PM   
z1812

quote:

ORIGINAL:

Hence my question about area fire in another post. I enjoy games where, given the limitations of a wargame, real world tactics such as fire and maneuver are rewarded.

This doesn't mean to say it is not a fun game. It doesn't even mean I won't buy it. It does mean I will watch the forum closely to be sure of what I am getting should I decide to buy.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 55
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 1:11:07 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's the problem you are applying modern day tactics in a WWII game. You need to play like a WWII leader or commander would have. They DID send out scouts to find out a snipers position or other troops and if he got shot they knew where they were. You can't be a nice guy in WAR. It's dog eat dog and kill or be killed. None of this "but, they are my men" they're just chits on a shingle to me and I probably have one of the worst troop lost records on the books, but, I win.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 56
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 1:16:33 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

quote:

ORIGINAL:

Hence my question about area fire in another post. I enjoy games where, given the limitations of a wargame, real world tactics such as fire and maneuver are rewarded.

This doesn't mean to say it is not a fun game. It doesn't even mean I won't buy it. It does mean I will watch the forum closely to be sure of what I am getting should I decide to buy.

This is probably not in due to gamey tactics of other games. Players would just sit back and fire into hexes until they hit something. In real war you don't have the luxury of time like you do playing a game. So, I would think that is why it's not there. Now if they made some rule that you only got one area fire for so many turns I could agree with that because the ai sounds good enough to pulverize you if you were playing the turtle game of sit and fire in the wind.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 57
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 1:19:53 PM   
Ron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

Sorry you didn't like the game redmarkus.

HoS was never intended to be a detailed simulation of infantry tactics in WWII. It is intended to be a
squad level combat game set in WWII.

Actually after reading the AAR and watching the two videos in another thread this morning, I have to second what Redmarkus said as that is the overwhelmingly impression I get as well. I think everyone has certain perceptions on WWII combat, but your statement seems very misleading. It should read:
quote:

It is intended to be a squad level fantasy game set in WWII.

Ironically what caught my eye initially was the lovely maps and artwork, brought back a sense of nostalgia I guess. However, once I started to learn more re the gameplay, it did more than raise an eyebrow.

1. Units moving with relative impunity in open terrain towards the enemy, even to point blank range.
2. Drawing fire by said movement in order to magically render that enemy unit incapable of responding further.
3. Entering into Melee combat with said enemy to dispatch it, seemingly the preferred(!) method of eliminating the enemy in this game.

What about fire and movement? Area fire into suspected enemy locations, basic lessons on infantry tactics learned from WWI etc. Surely the 'training' and methods employed weren't let's charge them and close assault as accepted practice put forward here! The WWII wrapping is pretty thin. I know I will get blasted for this and obviously this game is 'fun' for some and not for me, but to imply realistic WWII tactics are represented is a fallacy.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 58
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 1:26:49 PM   
aaatoysandmore

War is not one dimensional. Manuals about war in no way are the beall endall of the way one should fight or command. Manuals are guides nothing more nothing less, but, certainly not an order.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 2/15/2014 2:28:25 PM >

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 59
RE: First Impressions, please! - 2/15/2014 1:30:18 PM   
z1812

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's the problem you are applying modern day tactics in a WWII game. You need to play like a WWII leader or commander would have. They DID send out scouts to find out a snipers position or other troops and if he got shot they knew where they were. You can't be a nice guy in WAR. It's dog eat dog and kill or be killed. None of this "but, they are my men" they're just chits on a shingle to me and I probably have one of the worst troop lost records on the books, but, I win.

@aaatoysandmore: Redmarkus has definitely been around the block a few more times than you when it comes to wargaming and I daresay in the real world Military.

So when it comes to a point of view, I will respect his and not yours.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> RE: First Impressions, please! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI