Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

more features wish list

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> more features wish list Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
more features wish list - 2/15/2014 7:01:55 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/26/2018 6:10:04 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: more features wish list - 2/15/2014 7:03:57 PM   
fentum

Or left click on map and hold to move map?

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 2
RE: more features wish list - 2/16/2014 3:55:01 AM   
mh1066

I'd like to see the next version include second story buildings.

(in reply to fentum)
Post #: 3
RE: more features wish list - 2/16/2014 7:59:13 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Scenario builder if the editor is not designed to be one.

(in reply to mh1066)
Post #: 4
RE: more features wish list - 2/17/2014 5:35:56 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Zoom to cursor

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 5
RE: more features wish list - 2/17/2014 6:28:08 AM   
Thomasew

Hi,

Definite +1 on some way to drag the map around (big oversight in my humble opinion .. ) and zoom to cursor, .. although, playing at 1920x1200 res, .. the zoom levels in the game are not useable for me. I can really only play fully zoomed in. Zooming out just 1 level makes the mapboard too small to be playable, although it does give me an overview of the overall situation, .. which is when a zoom to cursor would be handy.

It does seem that the game doesn't scale well at higher resolutions.

Moving the mouse to the edge of the screen, to move the map around, seems counter-intuitive to me . Added to which, I have an extended desktop, on to my 2nd Monitor, giving me 3840x1200 res, .. so, moving the mouse to the right often results in an overshoot.

It almost feels like, playing a real boardgame, .. and having to pick up the mapboard, counters and all, and move it around to change your area of focus.

Cheers
Tom

< Message edited by Thomasew -- 2/17/2014 7:29:01 AM >

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 6
RE: more features wish list - 2/17/2014 11:04:45 AM   
markhwalker

quote:

I hate second story buildings. No second story buildings in LnL. Ever.

I think.

I might change my mind.

World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?

(in reply to Thomasew)
Post #: 7
RE: more features wish list - 2/17/2014 12:25:45 PM   
wodin

Shame..multi story building is something that is missing in nearly all tactical PC wargames. For me it's major feature missing in all of them and something much requested in Squad battles for instance. Star adding features missing in other tactical wargames then you will truly stand out and start to offer even more tactical decisions. The game would be alot higher on my wish list if this sort of thing was in game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

quote:

I think.

I might change my mind.

< Message edited by wodin -- 2/17/2014 1:28:36 PM >

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 8
RE: more features wish list - 2/17/2014 7:05:28 PM   
Hrothgar

I'd like to see random maps with forces able to be purchased by the players. When I've played tactical games, like Steel Panthers, in multiplayer mode, I've almost always played with random maps and purchased units. That way, no one has an advantage from being familiar with a scenario.

I don't know much about AI, so I don't know if random maps would work against the AI, but they'd be fine multiplayer.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I would also like more fully implemented elevation differences, whether hills or multi-storey buildings. So, I'd be pleased if Mark did change his mind.

Nevertheless, the game is fantastic as is--perhaps the best WWII PC game ever, and surely one of the best games covering any era.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: more features wish list - 2/17/2014 8:10:35 PM   
aaatoysandmore

X-XOM did it best with random maps, multistory buildings and multirooms as well. I know you aren't trying to compete with X-COM Mark, but, this is what makes it a blast to play. Anything can be anywhere and sometimes high in a scout tower about 3-5 levels high. I remember one game I thought I never would find the last alien, but, there he was waaaay up there in that tower. He was hiding behind the door too. Great tactics that one.

(in reply to Hrothgar)
Post #: 10
RE: more features wish list - 2/17/2014 8:42:26 PM   
mh1066

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hrothgar

I'd like to see random maps with forces able to be purchased by the players. When I've played tactical games, like Steel Panthers, in multiplayer mode, I've almost always played with random maps and purchased units. That way, no one has an advantage from being familiar with a scenario.

I agree, it would add a great deal of replay value to the game. I know in games such as Combat Mission wherein you were given parameters to choose and then points to buy troops made for great tactical engagements. Of course, in this case the maps are not generated randomly, but the troop selection and placement would be if indeed the AI could handle it.

(in reply to Hrothgar)
Post #: 11
RE: more features wish list - 2/17/2014 9:01:07 PM   
mh1066

quote:

quote:

I think.

I might change my mind.

I understand of course that coding second story buildings makes for much more complex coding for LOS and AI options. I get that...especially after the herculean task needed to get the current version into the wild. But that aside, you have to admit the tactical options it affords can be interesting - even if it is just an occasion exceptional hex with "height advantage."

So, I suppose it is hopeless to hope for bypass movement as a movement option? Sure would be nice to be able to move between buildings rather than having to follow the hex grain paying entry cost to move inside when you really just want to move around them. I know...a programing nightmare!

Post #: 12
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 2:30:14 AM   
76mm

quote:

Eh? Seems like a basic feature for any wargame set in an urban environment.

Post #: 13
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 6:54:07 AM   
76mm

I'd also like a shift-right click mechanism to force a unit to follow a particular route rather than the one chosen by the AI. I seem to have problems when I move the unit to one hex, and then try to move it to another.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 14
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 7:54:14 AM   
markhwalker

quote:

Eh? Seems like a basic feature for any wargame set in an urban environment.

Nah, too unrealistic. In reality troops might use the second floor for scouting, but predominately use the ground floor for defense.

World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 15
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 9:00:15 AM   
76mm

Even if only if scouting, spotting, and snipering, seems pretty important.

Also, page 54 of the rules mentions changing levels within a building; does the board game include multi-story buildings?

Post #: 16
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 9:57:00 AM   
markhwalker

Yep, board game does. We meant to take all reference to second level out of the book. If I redesigned the board game now, I wouldn't include second level. They're useless.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 17
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 11:17:30 AM   
SilliusSodus

As a player of the board game I wouldn't have said that second story buildings are useless. They do present some tactical options which are nice to have, certainly putting a sniper on the second floor of a building is viable and depending on Scenario terrain a tripod MG 42 has its uses. I’d like to see it in the digital versions. For me Lock n load stands above more recent attempts at squad based games, CoH changes its rule set and counters it seems every month (I respect that although things might have been done differently if it was designed today Lock n load only gets tweaked rather than overhauled). So I hope the possibility of second floor buildings in the future is a possibility in the digital version

Post #: 18
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 11:23:29 AM   
76mm

Well, I don't mean to be too critical, I am enjoying the game. It's just that I'd enjoy it more with second stories...

Also, I think others have mentioned that it would be awesome to have some kind of "quick battle" system where players could buy their own forces and get a random map (I would think that between all the maps for the scenarios and campaigns, and "spinning" them 90 or 180 degrees, you could get a decent variety of maps).

(in reply to SilliusSodus)
Post #: 19
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 11:23:57 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: mh1066

I second that.

(in reply to mh1066)
Post #: 20
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 11:36:38 AM   
Blond_Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: D.K McLeod

As a player of the board game I wouldn't have said that second story buildings are useless...depending on Scenario terrain a tripod MG 42 has its uses.

I disagree. A machine gun above grazing-fire level(ground)is a waste. I think even Squad Leader recognized that.

< Message edited by Blond_Knight -- 2/18/2014 12:37:38 PM >

(in reply to SilliusSodus)
Post #: 21
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 11:40:15 AM   
SilliusSodus

If you out range the approaching units you can slow them down (a bit), but yes eventually you take it back down to ground level as they get closer, I should have said limited uses

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 22
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 11:53:10 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight
A machine gun above grazing-fire level(ground)is a waste.

Is grazing fire even represented in this game? As far as I can tell so far (several scenarios and half the rules!) machine gun fire is treated exactly like rifle or submachine gun fire in this game.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 23
RE: more features wish list - 2/18/2014 12:09:04 PM   
Blond_Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight
A machine gun above grazing-fire level(ground)is a waste.

Is grazing fire even represented in this game? As far as I can tell so far (several scenarios and half the rules!) machine gun fire is treated exactly like rifle or submachine gun fire in this game.

True. Machine gun fire doesn't have the pass-through ability, to effect multiple hexes, that was in Squad Leader.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 24
RE: more features wish list - 2/19/2014 1:41:57 AM   
Gizuria

quote:

quote:

I think.

I might change my mind.

Ha! That gave me good laugh this morning. Thanks.

Now, a suggestion or two of my own. First, would it be possible at some stage in the future to filter missions that are suitable for play against the AI as one side only? I'd like to be able to find missions designed for play as the Germans v Soviet AI with one click, or vice versa, or Multiplayer.

Second, would it be possible for the MG support weapon team to leave a Fire for Effect marker or something similar in a hex after it fires? The mortar SW already does this and I'd like to think that the MG is still projecting some residual firepower (couldn't help myself, sorry) in the hex it fires upon. I know this is a port of the board game to the PC so if it's not in the board game, that's fine. But if you don't ask, you don't get.

Third, I'd also like to ask for the inclusion of a toggle in options to turn off the Rally Voices. They are quite funny to start with but, like any joke, stops being funny after the 3rd or 4th tellings.

Post #: 25
RE: more features wish list - 2/19/2014 2:37:39 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fascist Dog
Third, I'd also like to ask for the inclusion of a toggle in options to turn off the Rally Voices. They are quite funny to start with but, like any joke, stops being funny after the 3rd or 4th tellings.

er, yes...I didn't care for them the first time I heard them, now they are really irritating. If I have time this weekend I might see about modding them out, because I don't need an option to turn them back on.

(in reply to Gizuria)
Post #: 26
RE: more features wish list - 2/19/2014 4:47:04 AM   
Tom Proudfoot

I put an option in 1.04 to toggle them off, just for you.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 27
RE: more features wish list - 2/19/2014 5:08:26 AM   
z1812

More zoom levels, or better yet zoom to the mouse wheel as in Flashpoint Campaigns.

Information windows and a map interface that don't take up so much of the map.

And multi-storied buildings.

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 28
RE: more features wish list - 2/19/2014 5:47:29 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Proudfoot
I put an option in 1.04 to toggle them off, just for you.

heh, thanks.

Is there any prospect for some kind of quick battle system for this game (ie, players select the forces, etc.)?

Also, I've only played a few scenarios so far, but all have been rather small, with maps 20-30 hexes across. Is there any reason why much larger scenarios wouldn't work? Does the game "scale" well given the impulse system, etc.? It seems to me that the impulses would work even better with more units, but maybe not...

(in reply to Tom Proudfoot)
Post #: 29
RE: more features wish list - 2/19/2014 6:17:04 AM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/26/2018 6:08:36 AM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> more features wish list Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI