Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of buying this game.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Thinking of buying this game. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of buying this game. - 1/21/2003 3:37:46 AM   
Scorpiuscat

I have heard very little of this game, but when I investigated it, its seems that its a worthwhile game to play.

But I am looking for some feed back on game play, stability, graphics and so on.

So what do you guys think, Is this game worth it?
Post #: 1
- 1/21/2003 5:01:02 AM   
dragoniv

The game is a lot of fun if you like the 4X game genre: it's very similar to Master of Orion, Spaceward Ho!, Civilization, et.al.

If you're looking for a decent strategy game that is fast paced, buy the game. If you're looking for an action game, look elsewhere.

(in reply to Scorpiuscat)
Post #: 2
- 1/21/2003 1:40:11 PM   
startrekdork

look ill put it to you plain and simple.
ive played space empires iv: huge game massive soooooo much to research unbelievable. very easy to mod, i made huge battles where i was the federation versus the borg and klingons and all that. the graphics, were appalling. the game play was boring. i played it for a solid month, then i stopped. its still on my hard drive. i just dont have the heart to delete it. i havent played it in 8 months.

reach for the stars: eewwww. what was i thinking. stupid game play. mediocre graphics. awful research tree. horrible way to send ships through space. a hyperdrive which locks ships in to a location with no way to tell the ship to stop going to a planet or what have you. and the main storyline was awful something about super powerful aliens trying to wipe out the human race. :eek:

birth of the federation: great game, if you can look past the poor interface, bad graphics, lack of using the star trek license, and the overall mediocre design. i played this game a lot but only because it seemed star trek like. great if they made a sequal that actually worked but otherwise this game was stupid. or something else that starts with s.

star wars: rebellion: i was looking forward to this game soooo much. i still have this four foot tall box they used to advertise it. what a waste of card board. one good movie scene in the beginning. the rest of the game, was the worst designed interface ever. it was like windows, except even worse. none of it made sense. you had three resources, minerals, supplies, and like work materials. and supplies depended on work materials which depended on minerals. so if you had no mines you lost your work material which means you lose your supplies which means your fleet starts to blow up. of course in my infinite wisdom, i had c-3po managing the mining for the entire rebel alliance. next thing you know the empire is blowing up my mines so i lose all my resources and i have no way to rebuild my mines so boom game over. people, steer clear of that game.

which brings me to STARSHIPS UNLIMITED. best space strategy game out there. now granted the graphics are nothign to write home about. but the gameplay is. oddly enough the graphics are better than all the previous games mentioned, but theyre not homeworld, because theyre not supposed to be.

the storyline to this game is whatever you want it to be. its one of those build your own stories in the history of the galaxy type of things. start out with your fledgling planet, a star ship, and a big empty map, and start to explore the universe. then you run into some scary aliens that want to blow you up, some aliens that want to be your friends "borrow"(steal) some of your research than cloak theyre ships and attack your homeworld from behind. you in a last ditch attempt ally with some peaceful aliens who much like yourselves just want to get along with the rest of the universe so you form a federation to smite out the back stabbers and kill the scary aliens. as the dust settles you and your friends have wiped the galaxy clean, peace settles and your race has explored every planet and you can settle back and feel satisfied knowing that cruiser with the phasor beam, multiphasic shield, transwarp drive, jump drive, singularity generator and singularity stand offs have beaten your enemies larger destroyer with its inferior flak gun, nuclear generator, bio armor, warp drive.

so there, that is why i recomend starships unlimited over every other game out there.

not to mention that the designer has a whole bunch of plans to continually add to the game through free downloads, as soon as he is done with his current naval strategy game he is working on. oh yeah, stay clear of star wars rebellion its the most expensive drink coaster i own.

Post #: 3
- 1/21/2003 8:59:58 PM   
Scorpiuscat

I got the game last night, installed it and played it for about 2 hours.

Its obvious I have no idea what the hell I am doing, so some serious manuel reading is in order for me.

I was doing well (I think) when my starship got into a fight and could not get home for repairs, I kind of got stuck there and I had no idea how to make another starship.

Post #: 4
- 1/21/2003 9:19:07 PM   
dragoniv

that's pretty much what I did--played a game or two, said "this is neat, now if I only knew more..."

read the manual, and immediately started kicking the computer's butt in beginner mode. Off in intermediate mode now, and it's even more fun!

Oh, I forgot one more 4X space-baced game--play Stars! if you're the kind of person who wants to mega-micromanage their games. :)

Check the other posts, too--somebody mentioned they put together a beginner's play guide, might be a worthwhile read.

Post #: 5
me too. - 1/21/2003 9:37:49 PM   
Flyingcursor

I had the same problem with the shareware version. The ship wouldn't move. I'll bring it up in another post.

startrekdork,
I see you are a space 4x fan. I've played all those as well.
Also Acendency, Outreach, the original RFTS, Imperium Galactica etc. I try to collect them. I actually liked Birth of Fed. but micromanaging the planets gets to be tedious. That's the part I didn't like about Stars!

Unlike many people I like the remake of Reach for the Stars. Not a lot of micromanagement and fast game play. I like the fact you can't change your mind after sending ships out. It means you have to make sure you want to make the move before you do.

I think, if I can get the shareware working right, that I may buy this one.

Post #: 6
- 1/21/2003 9:55:51 PM   
dragoniv

If your ship gets stuck, place your cursor over the ship and check for the following:

1. Do you still have an engine component? In the early part of the game, this would be a nuclear engine. If this was destroyed in the battle, your ship is stuck there until you develop tractor beams.

2. Do you still have a generator? Without one of these, you can't charge the engine (I know, I know, why a nuclear engine needs charging is beyond me) and you're still stuck until the advent of tractor beams.

3. Are there any people left on the ship? Ship occupany is listed like this: 15/20. If you have 0/20, all the occupants are dead and there is no one to pilot the ship home. The ship is stuck until you develop tractor beams and tow it home with another ship, or develop assault pods and board your own ship.

To build a new ship, set the focus on your home planet, select build (hammer icon), then select add and pick a Scout starship. Don't build too many of these--they're expensive!

Post #: 7
An undiscovered gem - 1/21/2003 10:04:18 PM   
EricLarsen

Scorpiuscat,
The 2.0 SUDG game that you can find in your local store is a real gem. It is the first game in too many years I was able to load up and not have to worry about going to the forum to get patch files. I've had one minor crash to desktop, and for a while I couldn't see all of a ship's special abilities but somehow that fixed itself after I tried a few different video settings for my monitor. A very clean game system with no bugs that prohibit you from doing what you're supposed to be able to do.

The game is lots of fun. The beginning of the game is like an easter egg hunt as you take your one ship and start exploring the nearby stars. You slowly build up your world and then colonize others and start fighting pirates raiding your systems. Then you get into alien first contact and lots of fighting. Very low unit density which makes it easy to play and fun, without being bogged down by tedium of hundreds or thousands of units to move around.

I found Hearts of Iron when I couldn't find this game early in December. I returned that piece of junk for a refund and then found this game at my local EB. I sure wish I'd have found SUDG in the store before seeing HOI, but am very glad I returned a piece of junk to find the real undiscovered gem that SUDG is.
Eric Larsen

Post #: 8
- 1/21/2003 10:31:36 PM   
Scorpiuscat

Thats an odd coincidence, I had wittled my choices down to Hearts of Iron or Starships Unlimited.

Anyway, as much as it pains me to say this......I wish you good luck in the Super Bowl this coming Sunday.......From a die hard Bronco fan!!!!

Post #: 9
Root for Romo! - 1/21/2003 10:36:16 PM   
EricLarsen

Originally posted by Scorpiuscat
[B]Thats an odd coincidence, I had wittled my choices down to Hearts of Iron or Starships Unlimited.

Anyway, as much as it pains me to say this......I wish you good luck in the Super Bowl this coming Sunday.......From a die hard Bronco fan!!!! [/B]

Scorpiuscat,
Stick with SUDG. The HOI game is so screwed up with fatal bugs and the 1941 scenario is an awful mess of poorly researched deployments and starting techs. I tried to suffer through about 3 weeks with HOI but it's clear that program will never ever be the "most definitive WW2 strategy game". I'll patiently wait for World in Flames for my WW2 strategic game fix.

I guess you can always root for Romo, a former Bronco, to help the Raiders win the Super Bowl.:D

Eric Larsen
GO RAIDERS!!!!!

Post #: 10
Check my HOI review first! - 1/21/2003 10:40:37 PM   
EricLarsen

Originally posted by Scorpiuscat
[B]Thats an odd coincidence, I had wittled my choices down to Hearts of Iron or Starships Unlimited. [/B]

Scorpiuscat,
If you want to read a review of HOI try looking at my Honest review post in the Anything Goes forum and the military gaming forum. Hopefully they're still there. I was a bit hot under the collar about the raw deal I received in the box and the raw deal I received on their forum but it's an honest review with actual gameplay examples (something missing in the meaningless official payola hack reviews) that should give you a very good idea of what's wrong with the game.
Eric Larsen

Post #: 11
- 1/21/2003 10:46:29 PM   
Scorpiuscat

I am diving in head first into Starships Unlimited, so far so good, I just need work on that learning curve a bit more and I'll be good to go.

Post #: 12
- 1/22/2003 4:22:06 AM   
KaiMaster_pressl

Well someone's gotta stick up for HOI around here... :)

Did the game get released too early? Hell yes it did. But keep in mind that Strategy First published the game for Paradox and they ultimately told Paradox to release it. Much like EU and EU2 being released too early. Strategy First made a business decision to release HOI in time for the Christmas rush. Infogrames elected to hold Master of Orion 3 and did not release it (it and HOI were supposed to come out the same day IIRC).

Is it going to be the WWII grand strat simulation they claim it is right now? Yes, you just have to look at Paradox Interactive's track record. EU2 is one of my all-time favorite grand strategy games, and after several patches it's pretty **** good.

I got HOI the day it was released. Unlike a lot of people, I don't have a lot of time to play games even though I *love* to play them. Plus that, I have Starships Unlimited and SimCity 4 to hold my attention until HOI gets the patches it needs.

The most exciting thing about HOI right now is that two forum regulars who did massive modding (especially Bolt) are now both part of the beta testing team and they are very active in the development of the AI for the next patch.

The mods those two made make HOI playable, and for that matter fun. Play Bolt's 1.02c mod (1936) as Germany at the hardest level and aggression, and tell me you weren't challenged. Or if you wanna get your arse kicked, try the Federalist's mod for the 1939 scenario as Germany.

Paradox crippled the AI (unintentionally?) and modders can undo some of that.

-- Kai

Post #: 13
Questions - 2/1/2003 6:32:53 AM   
CPaladino

I am thinking of buying this game, but need a little more info. (I'd d/l the demo, but my 56k modem wouldn't like me)

I am a fan of Civilization, so someone above said that's a plus.

What I'm REALLY looking for is a PC version of Silent Death (starship combat). This game seems heavily based on ship combat, but seems to also have tech. trees, and researching and planets and stuff.

if this isn't the game for me, can anyone point me to a game that's mostly ship-based combat (where you can build from scratch/mod your ship)?

Thanks in advance!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Aol IM: ChPaladino

Post #: 14
- 2/1/2003 3:08:49 PM   
Grizpin

CPaladino,

SUDG is all about ship combat. You can let it run in real time at three various speeds or take control of the combat yourself in turn based fashion. The micromanagement of planets is very minimal. Colonization of other planets is scarce as it costs alot to do. The tech trees do play a large part in the game because what you research will ulimately determine how you outfit your ships. There is a pdf manual on the disc that explains each tech. I printed out only the tech pages and use them to determine what techs I want to research. From what you describe as your type of game I would say SUDG will make you happy. As long as you're not expecting a graphical masterpiece but want deep open ended gameplay instead :D

Post #: 15
Re: Questions - 2/4/2003 6:00:54 AM   
Scorpiuscat

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CPaladino
[B]I am thinking of buying this game, but need a little more info. (I'd d/l the demo, but my 56k modem wouldn't like me)

I am a fan of Civilization, so someone above said that's a plus.

What I'm REALLY looking for is a PC version of Silent Death (starship combat). This game seems heavily based on ship combat, but seems to also have tech. trees, and researching and planets and stuff.

if this isn't the game for me, can anyone point me to a game that's mostly ship-based combat (where you can build from scratch/mod your ship)?

Thanks in advance! [/B][/QUOTE]

Starfleet Command III is pure 3D starship combat goodness, you get tp upgrade ships and ship systems using prestige points earned thru missions. Very nice graphics.

SUDG is a fun game as well, but you do other things besides starship combat.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Thinking of buying this game. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI