Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A couple of questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> A couple of questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A couple of questions - 2/19/2014 9:15:23 AM   
cfc20045

Hi I have a couple of quick questions to ask, hopefully somebody won't mind helping out.

i) What is the easiest way to rearrange Carrier planes? I'm trying to organise my Japanese strike fleet which is stacked together in Tokyo, the carriers are full but I have several better quality aircraft that I would like to swap with those on the carriers. Can this only be done during the rebase phase?

ii) I can't find any reference in the documentation as to what type and how many units are setup when I invade a particular minor? Is there a table somewhere? It does make it a bit of a surprise otherwise (although pleasantly in the case of Denmark, as I was expecting some resistance or NOT as in Yugo and Switzerland).

iii) Similar to ii above, is there a list of Terrotorials that are added with the optional rule. I'm playing Global War without this option (but with Divisions) and can't get my head around the lack of any token defenses in the pacific. I know this is a corp level game and there is the notional unit rule but after playing WITP it doesn't quite feel right for Japan to effectively invade at will.

Enjoying the game, and have lots more to discover. I haven't really touched the convey's yet, the CW seems to be doing ok without going into the fine detail of what resources are going where although I know a lot are wasted [approx 7 are idle most of the time]. This is counter balanced however by the Germans not having had the time for any Naval or combined actions, they've been too busy with Poland, Denmark, Holand, Belgium. France, Switzerland, Yugo, Greece and a '41 Barbarossa.

Thanks in Advance.
Post #: 1
RE: A couple of questions - 2/19/2014 11:21:03 AM   
Extraneous

For units I use PionsWiF-AiF-PatiF Microsoft Excel Worksheet which gives game information on all units in the game with dates of availability.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to cfc20045)
Post #: 2
RE: A couple of questions - 2/19/2014 11:54:55 AM   
Centuur

i) You can only do this in the rebase phase. However, rebasing CVP doesn't count for an action limit.

ii) In the Main from, see Info - Pools - Force Pool you can select the country you want to inspect. The units for set up appear there.

iii) Sorry, but if the optional rule is off, you can't see it. However, you can start a new game with the optional on and see in the force pool for each MP which Territorials they've got.
And Japan can only invade at will in the surprise impulse or if they put the hex to be invaded out of supply. Also, it is historically right that the Japanese could invade at will, since nobody had the forces to spare to garrison the threathened islands. Only the most important places had garrisons (and often these were small, especially on the side of the CW, who was under a lot of pressure in Europe at the time).

Peter

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 3
RE: A couple of questions - 2/19/2014 11:57:52 AM   
alexvand

I'd love an answer for #1 as well. I'm struggling with organizing carrier planes too.

For #2 click on Info, open up Pools, and switch to the Force Pool view and look at the country in question. You can see then what units are available.

For #3 each major power starts with only a handful of territorials on the map, depending on the scenario. Most of them need to be built. The Japanese do get to invade at will for the most part, since there are very few places that the allies are allowed to reinforce on the Pacific before war starts. The Allies are able to build some units to defend certain areas. (I always put some American units in Dutch Harbour, Midway, Pago Pago and some Brits in Singapore for instance.) But those are units that are not defending the Middle East. It all comes down to decisions that the Allies have to make. One of the fun things about this game.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 4
RE: A couple of questions - 2/19/2014 1:04:50 PM   
cfc20045

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a more in depth look at the force pools. I'm usually to impatient to get to the action as I haven't play Wif since the mid 80's.

“My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack.”

~ Ferdinand Foch

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 5
RE: A couple of questions - 2/19/2014 5:30:18 PM   
paulderynck

Don't have the rules at my present location, but it has to be the rebase phase, and CV to CV in a port or in the same sea box is a free rebase.

Cannot recall for sure if same port hex to CV is free or not.

Also if the CV is in a port that is also a home city, you can put a newly arriving CVP directly onto a CV that has spare capacity and, if needed, the turn before a CV in a home city port, can have its CVP removed to the Reserve Pool at the end of the reinforcement phase in order to create capacity for the next turn. Additions aare before removals, so you can't necessarily do it all in one turn.

At the start of each year, many of the CVPs will change their capacity number to something lower, so planning for CVP rebasing is most intensive in Nov-Dec and Jan-Feb.

Edit: Of course anytime you are at sea and fly all CVPs from the same sea box on missions or naval air combat, this is a good opportunity to optimize on their return to the CVs.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 2/19/2014 7:01:11 PM >

Paul

(in reply to cfc20045)
Post #: 6
RE: A couple of questions - 2/19/2014 8:41:11 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shotgun

Hi I have a couple of quick questions to ask, hopefully somebody won't mind helping out.

i) What is the easiest way to rearrange Carrier planes? I'm trying to organise my Japanese strike fleet which is stacked together in Tokyo, the carriers are full but I have several better quality aircraft that I would like to swap with those on the carriers. Can this only be done during the rebase phase?

ii) I can't find any reference in the documentation as to what type and how many units are setup when I invade a particular minor? Is there a table somewhere? It does make it a bit of a surprise otherwise (although pleasantly in the case of Denmark, as I was expecting some resistance or NOT as in Yugo and Switzerland).

iii) Similar to ii above, is there a list of Terrotorials that are added with the optional rule. I'm playing Global War without this option (but with Divisions) and can't get my head around the lack of any token defenses in the pacific. I know this is a corp level game and there is the notional unit rule but after playing WITP it doesn't quite feel right for Japan to effectively invade at will.

Enjoying the game, and have lots more to discover. I haven't really touched the convey's yet, the CW seems to be doing ok without going into the fine detail of what resources are going where although I know a lot are wasted [approx 7 are idle most of the time]. This is counter balanced however by the Germans not having had the time for any Naval or combined actions, they've been too busy with Poland, Denmark, Holand, Belgium. France, Switzerland, Yugo, Greece and a '41 Barbarossa.

Thanks in Advance.

1 - A the start of the game you can place carrier air units on carriers "for free" and rearrange them however you like during that phase. You can even place them on carriers at sea if the major power is already at war (e.g., in the Guadalcanal scenario). During the reinforcement phase, you can place arriving carrier air units on carriers that are in a home country port [I think you can do this even if the port is not in a city, like Plymouth]. During the rebase phase you can rearrange which carrier air units are on which carriers (for 'free') if both units are in the same hex: a port or a sea area section box. At the cost of one air mission you can fly carrier air units to/from carriers in a different hex. However, at least one of those hexes has to be a land hex.

2 & 3 - The easiest way to identify all the units fulfilling a given criteria (e.g., territorials, minor country units) is to start a Global War game with all the optional rules on. Then use the Units form (Ctrl-U) and its accompanying filter to see a selected list of units. When a minor country enters the war, it gets all of its units built by the year it enters the war, so be sure to filter by year. The reserve units arrive in the following turn if the minor country hasn't been conquered by then. There are some air units belonging to minor countries that have duplicates, one of the units arrives immediately and the other one goes into the Force Pool. In the unitdata panel there is a field for this: Built versus Not Built. There are also some special rules about what happens to minor country naval units - you'll have to read up on that because it has a lot of particulars.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to cfc20045)
Post #: 7
RE: A couple of questions - 2/20/2014 3:01:12 PM   
cfc20045

Thanks for taking the time to respond Steve and for producing a great game. I'm one of the anonymous ones who had been following the when? thread for the last 8 years or so checking in every few months to keep up with progress. My only regret is that 8 years ago I had all the time in the world to enjoy your game, but now married and with two young children that's not quite the case anymore, Do'h  

Thanks again for your hard work and dedication.

“My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack.”

~ Ferdinand Foch

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> A couple of questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI