Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Decisive Battles/Battles in Italy question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Decisive Battles/Battles in Italy question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Decisive Battles/Battles in Italy question - 2/20/2014 10:18:09 AM   
gradenko2k

General Discussion related content:
https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/korsun-pocket

The Three Moves Ahead podcast had a recent episode talking about this classic SSG strategy game that got me to take a second look at cracking the rules and interface.

===

None of the Decisive Battles series forums have had a post in months, so I thought I might have better luck here.

Playing through the Operation Husky scenario, I have multiple elements of the Hermann Goering SS Panzer Division and a Fallschirmjager division isolated. I'm not quite clear on the supply rules though:

* Will those units run out of supply/bullet-icons by themselves if I don't attack them? They're holed up in hills hexes and they're not in "red supply" yet so it's going to be bloody if I try to assault, but if I can't get them to consume their ammo any other way I may as well just suck up the losses.

* If I do need to attack to use up their supply, will any sort of attack suffice, or do they have to take losses? Very low odds attacks can yield nothing (*-* results on the CRT), which is fine by me if it works.

Post #: 1
RE: Decisive Battles/Battles in Italy question - 2/20/2014 6:49:41 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

General Discussion related content:
https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/korsun-pocket

The Three Moves Ahead podcast had a recent episode talking about this classic SSG strategy game that got me to take a second look at cracking the rules and interface.

===

None of the Decisive Battles series forums have had a post in months, so I thought I might have better luck here.

Playing through the Operation Husky scenario, I have multiple elements of the Hermann Goering SS Panzer Division and a Fallschirmjager division isolated. I'm not quite clear on the supply rules though:

* Will those units run out of supply/bullet-icons by themselves if I don't attack them? They're holed up in hills hexes and they're not in "red supply" yet so it's going to be bloody if I try to assault, but if I can't get them to consume their ammo any other way I may as well just suck up the losses.

* If I do need to attack to use up their supply, will any sort of attack suffice, or do they have to take losses? Very low odds attacks can yield nothing (*-* results on the CRT), which is fine by me if it works.

I was just playing that myself about a month ago.

Make sure they are really cutoff.

I don't believe they run out of basic supply unless they actually do something It can be some action other than attack/defend though.

I don't think they have to suffer losses in an attack to consume bullets.

But supply was the hardest game concept to get my head around, It always seems to hard for me to cut off AI supply, and too easy for me to run out, so maybe someone else will chime in.

You can also try posting over at the SSG forum, though it's been pretty quiet there as well.
http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=18&sid=9b78ebbb9ec90371c9f3808b4ec72ed7

A shame really, this series and culminating in the Across the Dneiper and Korsun Pocket finale were really quite good.

Rick

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Decisive Battles/Battles in Italy question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI