Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Su-24MR's RDS-BO Shtik SLAR - range?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Su-24MR's RDS-BO Shtik SLAR - range? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Su-24MR's RDS-BO Shtik SLAR - range? - 2/19/2014 10:21:29 PM   
AndrewJ

Hello,

I've been trying out a scenario that includes some Su-24MRs, with their RDS-BO Shtik side looking radar.

I was really startled when I turned it on and found the range was only 15 nm! Is it really supposed to be that small (on a dedicated reconnaissance aircraft, after all), or is this perhaps a typo that crept into the database?

I hasten to add that I have no actual information about this at all, and a quick Googling has drawn a blank. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and better sources can weigh in.

For what it's worth the older Harpoon database HERE has the range for this system as 80 nm, which is a lot closer to what I would have expected.

Hoping someone can enlighten me!
Post #: 1
RE: Su-24MR's RDS-BO Shtik SLAR - range? - 2/20/2014 11:22:55 AM   
Rudd

quote:

Despite the large impact that the study sample had captured American equipment received from Vietnam and the Middle East, it was based mainly on domestic experience. By the time it was completed for the creation of a complex exploration of the MiG-25R, which included a very sophisticated new generation of aerial cameras, signals intelligence station and side-looking radar. But this complex is designed for action at high altitudes and speeds, which automatically provides a large angle and the ability to capture a sharp increase in the efficiency of side-looking radar due to high speed flight. A Su-24 was to produce the removal of information with extremely low altitudes and "subsonic" (run). Moreover, was tasked to create a fundamentally new reconnaissance systems - laser and thermal.

from http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.airwar.ru/enc/spy/su24mr.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsu-24mr%2Bairwar.ru%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DjU9%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Dsb

I, like you, have no actual info either, but from my new favorite translated site, they are making it sound like a more "focused" recon platform, as opposed to a broader picture aircraft.

Whether my understanding or the translation is correct, I don't know

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 2
RE: Su-24MR's RDS-BO Shtik SLAR - range? - 2/20/2014 9:11:33 PM   
mikmykWS

We'll take a look but some data would help the cause.

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to Rudd)
Post #: 3
RE: Su-24MR's RDS-BO Shtik SLAR - range? - 2/20/2014 11:11:39 PM   
IWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

Hello,

I've been trying out a scenario that includes some Su-24MRs, with their RDS-BO Shtik side looking radar.

I was really startled when I turned it on and found the range was only 15 nm! Is it really supposed to be that small (on a dedicated reconnaissance aircraft, after all), or is this perhaps a typo that crept into the database?

I hasten to add that I have no actual information about this at all, and a quick Googling has drawn a blank. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and better sources can weigh in.

For what it's worth the older Harpoon database HERE has the range for this system as 80 nm, which is a lot closer to what I would have expected.

Hoping someone can enlighten me!

Side Looking Airborne Radars can be used for terrain mapping, which provides a radar "map" of the terrain and objects in a swath. But the range in that mode is shorter than for search.

My guess is the RDS-BO Shtik's limited range probably reflects the radar being used for mapping, as a night/bad weather complement to the cameras-- it can "see" when cameras can't.

I don't think the game currently models "mapping mode" specifically. So a radar that just does mapping would show in the DB as having shorter range than one that does both search and mapping.

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Su-24MR's RDS-BO Shtik SLAR - range? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI