Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Northwest Passage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Northwest Passage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Northwest Passage - 2/17/2014 10:14:55 PM   
Vici Supreme

Hey there!

I just want to know if changes to the Arctic "layer" are possible, or will be in future updates. In order of global warming and the arctic meltdown it would be cool to have something like time-depending layout configuration. Especially for the Northwest Passage it would be profitable to have the ice removed (for 2020-onwards) as this could offer a lot of new perspectives to the region.

Greetings Victor

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/17/2014 11:04:50 PM   
Figeac

I think that this a tragedy that should be avoided, not an opportunity to be chase... But anyway, I think it would be very difficult for the game engine to deal with global warming, ice caps melting and things like that.

(in reply to Vici Supreme)
Post #: 2
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/17/2014 11:27:57 PM   
RoryAndersonCDT

You guys are referring to the Great Canadian Toll Passage, of course.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to Figeac)
Post #: 3
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/17/2014 11:29:35 PM   
mikmykWS

We've been seeing a bunch on this in defense blogs and publications but nothing on the dev plan on this one yet. This will be a bigger deal many more years down the road so we've got some time to figure it out and its not a good idea to guess.

You can do under ice but we don't ice breaking or seasonal changes as of yet.

Thanks!

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 2/18/2014 12:30:26 AM >

(in reply to Figeac)
Post #: 4
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 11:02:27 AM   
Vici Supreme

Thanks for checking this out!

quote:

I think that this a tragedy that should be avoided, not an opportunity to be chase

Yes its a desaster, but i was referring an improvement to the game, not to our global situation (which is anyway's the same).

quote:

You can do under ice but we don't ice breaking or seasonal changes as of yet.

Ok, seems reasonable but isn't there even the option of adding these ship trafficable areas, like the Panama Canal or Suez Canal in the game?

Greetings

(in reply to Figeac)
Post #: 5
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 12:22:50 PM   
mikmykWS

You can transit the Panama and Suez canals in Command

(in reply to Vici Supreme)
Post #: 6
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 12:41:14 PM   
jdkbph

I think the question is whether you can create a long Panama canal-like structure up north along the Canada, Russia, Greenland and Alaska coast lines to simulate the melting ice. Perhaps even with an "open in the summer, closed in the winter" option controlled by the scenario designer by toggling it on or off, or by just simply "damaging it" to the point where it's not usable (assuming the Panama canal can be damaged?).

This is an intriguing idea, if doable.

JD

< Message edited by jdkbph -- 2/18/2014 1:46:59 PM >

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 7
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 12:57:50 PM   
mikmykWS

Ah yeah. That wasn't exactly easy to do. We might have better luck with a layer that changes with the seasons.

Anyways will add to our list. Will get to it when we can.

Mike

(in reply to jdkbph)
Post #: 8
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 1:11:40 PM   
Rudd

This is a war sim and asking the devs to simulate the supposed melting of the ice caps is ridiculous(no matter what side of the aisle you are on), what's next earthquakes, solar flares?

I'm not trying to be offensive, just think the conversation should be kept to military's and their capabilities against each other

(in reply to jdkbph)
Post #: 9
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 1:13:58 PM   
Flankerk

Damm, was just working on a scenario with some Solar Flare events.

(in reply to Rudd)
Post #: 10
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 1:59:08 PM   
cwemyss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rudd

This is a war sim and asking the devs to simulate the supposed melting of the ice caps is ridiculous(no matter what side of the aisle you are on), what's next earthquakes, solar flares?

I'm not trying to be offensive, just think the conversation should be kept to military's and their capabilities against each other

With Russia reopening arctic bases, the Chinese putting icebreakers in service, and everyone else with a vague stake looking north, this is very relevant. There's a lot of potential scenarios with arctic resources...and the conflicts that follow

(in reply to Rudd)
Post #: 11
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 3:15:00 PM   
Rudd

Russia has recovered enough from its economic troubles of the 1990s to significantly rebuild its Arctic military capabilities, which were a key to the overall Cold War strategy of the Soviet Union, not because of melting ice. This in turn has led other Arctic countries, Norway, Denmark and Canada to resume regional military exercises that they had abandoned or cut back on after the Soviet collapse.

And of course if oil is discovered then there is going to be a potential conflict.

But debating the ice cap coverage is again ridiculous, for every "fact" or link saying it's happening, there's another "proving" it's not.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/6040/20130911/global-cooling-arctic-ice-cap-60-photo.htm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415191/And-global-COOLING-Return-Arctic-ice-cap-grows-29-year.html

< Message edited by Rudd -- 2/18/2014 4:21:35 PM >

(in reply to cwemyss)
Post #: 12
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 3:20:26 PM   
mikmykWS

Would be many years and not sure it would be a surface battle in the passage itself.

It can wait a bit and will

Mike

(in reply to Rudd)
Post #: 13
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 6:42:34 PM   
jdkbph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rudd

Ridiculous? You really think so? I beg to differ. The Arctic has the potential to turn into a resource grabbing, confrontation exciting, military muscle flexing hotbed like we've never seen before. All because this "ridiculousness" is going to create new avenues of access.

JD

(in reply to Rudd)
Post #: 14
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 6:46:15 PM   
jdkbph

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Would be many years and not sure it would be a surface battle in the passage itself.

It can wait a bit and will

Mike

Yes, I agree. This is something that needs to be prioritized and added to a list. Not dismissed out of hand.

JD

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 15
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/18/2014 7:56:51 PM   
Rudd

quote:

The Arctic has the potential to turn into a resource grabbing, confrontation exciting, military muscle flexing hotbed like we've never seen before.

Yes if it happens, it does have the potential to be these things, agreed.

In the 70s "they" said the next ice age was coming...."they" don't know..."they" just want your money like everybody else

< Message edited by Rudd -- 2/18/2014 9:05:58 PM >

(in reply to jdkbph)
Post #: 16
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/21/2014 8:54:53 PM   
FireForEffect

This is a huge deal to the Canada and the RCN. Planning for this eventuality occupies an immense amount of time, and as a Canadian the idea of being able to play test what could likely be the next big thing would be amazing!

The NWP could potentially be a source of quite a bit of conflict in the near future.

Even just an alternate map with the NWP open would be great.

(in reply to Rudd)
Post #: 17
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/21/2014 9:36:26 PM   
cwemyss

The world map has borders that change with passing years.... an ice pack edge that changes by season could be done, right?*. There's historic data through, well, this winter, and you could make an educated guess after that.

*Caveat: I know next to nothing about programming.... everything's easy when someone else does it.

(in reply to FireForEffect)
Post #: 18
RE: Northwest Passage - 2/21/2014 10:00:58 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: cwemyss

The world map has borders that change with passing years.... an ice pack edge that changes by season could be done, right?*. There's historic data through, well, this winter, and you could make an educated guess after that.

*Caveat: I know next to nothing about programming.... everything's easy when someone else does it.

LOL ain't that the truth.

Your idea is in line of what we've been thinking on it.

Forecasting due to global warming though is pretty theoretical and not something we'd tackle. This is not to say we believe it exists or not just that its out of the scope of what we're trying to accomplish with this sim.

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 2/22/2014 2:01:17 AM >

(in reply to cwemyss)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Northwest Passage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI