Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

As if Les needs more reasons to hate 98, but look at this one

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> As if Les needs more reasons to hate 98, but look at this one Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
As if Les needs more reasons to hate 98, but look at th... - 1/30/2003 5:34:18 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Check this link out.

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

The most important part of the page being how 98 users will just have to suffer with those annoying Windows Messenger pop up windows.

So for those that insist on liking and using 98, get used to it.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 1/30/2003 5:37:38 AM   
Frank W.

mmhh??

i use 98 , but i don´t have this messenger.
(or i don´t installed it at all)

perhaps a mistake on the website.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
- 1/30/2003 5:51:58 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Only reporting what I know.

Saw the web site while browsing General forum at Battlefront.

This is the thread as it exists currently

http://www.battlefront.com/index.htm

It is possible a more dedicated 98 user might shed more light on this subject.

Post #: 3
XP AntiSpy - 1/30/2003 6:49:24 AM   
Veldor

Seems the Germans are useful for something other than targets in our video games...

Anyone running Windows XP should click the following link and download the XP AntiSpy program...

http://www.xp-antispy.de/

I've used it through several versions. It allows you to selectively de-install, unset, and so-on various Microsoft included functions and practices many find objectionable...

Such as those dreadful prompts about reporting your error to Microsoft... And uninstalling Windows Messenger fully... And so on...

Post #: 4
- 1/30/2003 7:02:01 AM   
Frank W.

veldor: but 98 seems this obscure messenger not to have....

Post #: 5
- 1/30/2003 7:27:45 AM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank W.
[B]veldor: but 98 seems this obscure messenger not to have.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Perhaps it wasn't introducted until 98SE. I really don't remember. 98 to me is now like Garlic to a Vampire. I see it and I take off running the other way..

Don't want any part of it....

I even "cringe" at the very mention of it, honestly...

Those words should no longer be allowed to be spoken.

Post #: 6
- 1/30/2003 7:32:38 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Thanks for that link Veldor, very handy.

Post #: 7
- 1/30/2003 8:06:26 AM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Veldor
[B]Perhaps it wasn't introducted until 98SE. I really don't remember. 98 to me is now like Garlic to a Vampire. I see it and I take off running the other way..

Don't want any part of it....

I even "cringe" at the very mention of it, honestly...

Those words should no longer be allowed to be spoken. [/B][/QUOTE]

sorry to hurt you with that word :(

for me it works okay, so....:)

Post #: 8
- 1/30/2003 9:08:48 AM   
Fred98

I have had Win 98 since August 98.

I have had WIN 98SE since it was released.

I have never even heard of Windows Messenger.

Post #: 9
- 1/30/2003 9:40:02 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Windows Messenger, it's one of those eeeeeevil little chat programs where you can use instant messaging to talk with people etc.

It is a resident program in windows. If you have Windows You have Windows Messenger (unless you intentionally delete it).

Yahoo ICQ and AOL Instant Messenger are all the same thing.

Post #: 10
- 1/30/2003 11:18:01 AM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]I have had Win 98 since August 98.

I have had WIN 98SE since it was released.

I have never even heard of Windows Messenger. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, back then I think they called it MSN Messenger... But its all the same thing..

BTW, what made you upgrade to 98SE from essentially the same OS version, yet didn't prompt a similar upgrade to ME or XP?

Post #: 11
- 1/30/2003 1:34:54 PM   
Fred98

WIN 98SE was supposed to be a fix for some bugs. And the download was easy as I had a cable modem at the time.

WIN ME had a number of features added and I was skeptical that Microsoft would get it right. Or that it would run some older software. It seems I have been proven correct there.

WIN XP is probably great. At work we use WIN NT4 and it has never crashed.

WIN XP is built on the same base code so it too is probably very stable. But I am skeptical that it will run my old software.

I'll get WIN XP with the next new computer - probably mid 2004 - I tend to do a major upgrade about every 3 years. By then it is likely that WIN XP version 2 will be released and I'll be ahead of you :)

On a related note, I bought Office 97 (small business edition) in late 1997.

I used it on the then current PC, on the new one I bought in mid 1998 and on the current one I bought in mid 2001. I have heard rumours that Office 97 will not run on WIN XP. That means, together with the next computer, I might choose Microsoft Works, firstly because its cheap and secondly because its compatiible with Office - which we use at work.

Otherwise I might go for some other brand.

Post #: 12
- 1/31/2003 5:13:01 AM   
SLAAKATTAK

SARGE.....GIVE IT UP. WINME AND XP ARE A COUPLE OF FLOPS. NO NEED TO SWITCH TO SOMETHING THAT IS GAME HOSTILE. 'NUFF SAID.

Post #: 13
- 1/31/2003 5:30:51 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I will pick an OS that snubs a few archaic old games, over one that likes to wreck my whole system if it is not handled like a pro.

That is basically it eh.

Most of us are not technicians.

Sure if you have a lot of computer skills you "might" be able to fix the hassles of 98SE or earlier.

But XP regardless of whether it might tell you to get over it and just play a newer game, never irritates me, never crashes (never eh, not just less often, but never).

I can kill the power right now, and XP could care less. Turn it back on, and it doesn't have a heart attack needing to suddenly get hysterical over an improper shut down.

XP offers to emulate earlier OS, it's not like it doesn't care, it's just not god.

XP is the first OS I have ever used, that did more for me, than I am routinely used to getting out of an OS.

Post #: 14
- 2/1/2003 12:30:36 AM   
SLAAKATTAK

IM SO HAPPY YOU'VE FOUND YOUR TRUE LOVE SARGE. EVEN SARGEANTS NEED TRUE LOVE......BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! :rolleyes: AS FOR THE REST OF US WHO ARE IN THE KNOW, WE WILL USE THAT WHICH DEFENDS THE CAUSE AND WINME OR XP AINT IT!!! OLD GAMES?? I HEARD XP WONT EVEN RUN THE NEW GAMES (NOT THAT IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE TO THE PRO'S) WHY DO AMATEURS FEEL THIS OVERWHELMING NEEDYNESS TO EXPRESS THEIR LARVAL DEVELOPEMENTS TO THE EXPERTS? HMMMM MUST BE A CHICK THING. "F*CKING WASTE OF AMMO." SARGE IF YOU SURRENDER NOW BY THE TIME YOU ARRIVE AT THE GULAG I'LL THROW IN A FREE BEDSHEET TO KEEP THE LICE OFF YER BACK.

SLAAKATTAK

Post #: 15
- 2/1/2003 2:48:55 AM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLAAKATTAK
[B]I HEARD XP WONT EVEN RUN THE NEW GAMES (NOT THAT IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE TO THE PRO'S)[/B][/QUOTE]

Heard? Why don't you try it for yourself and make your own decisions rather than basing your judgement on rumor and propaganda?

System Restore Points, Driver rollback, Multiple Dll version support, Encrypted File Support, 10times more reliability, the list goes on and on.

And I play games from all genres and of the hundreds I have, not one of them has any problem at all running on XP. Oh I'm sure there are examples out there, any DOS game with direct hardware access... But heck those games weren't made for 98 anymore than they were made for XP. They were made for DOS and c'mon... That makes them almost 10 years old.

Anything else should work fine.

Post #: 16
- 2/1/2003 11:08:22 AM   
SLAAKATTAK

O GOSH YOURE RIGHT VELDORK....... WHY? BECAUSE I DONT HAVE TO YOU SMUG, SNOTNOSE, PUNKA$$ BITCH!. THERE IS NO REASON TO SWITCH TO XP ANY MORE THAN THERE WAS TO WINME OR 2K. I STILL HAVE SOME DOS GAMES THAT WE USE JUST FOR KICKS AS WELL AS MANY OTHER GAMES THAT ARE CUTTING EDGE. PLUS THERES MANY REASONS NOT TO USE XP LIKE ASSISTING MICROSCAMS ATTEMPT TO ACCESS COPYRIGHT OVER TCPIP AND FORCE US TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT I DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR NOW. SO GET BACK INTO YOUR LATRINE AND SHUT YOUR F*CKING A$$!!

Post #: 17
- 2/1/2003 11:27:21 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

Slaak watch the language. :mad:

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

Post #: 18
- 2/1/2003 11:51:48 PM   
rockymtndoc

Obviously, Slaak' is overwhelmed with compassion at this point. Somebody needs a nap!

When I bought my new rig, the OS was not an option. Windows XP, period. Yes there are other OS's available, but are they compatible with the rest of the world. I have been wrestling for weeks with the webmaster from SuddenStrikeII, whose e-mails are not emails - they are attachments which have to be opened and which are always garbled becasue they display the code text as well as the message, except it's almost impossible to pry the actual message out of the mess. Obviously, this guy uses a different system, and just as obviously it doesn't play well with others.

Personally, I'm buying a little voo-doo doll of Bill Gates and sticking a hat pin in the prostate every time a glitch occurs. Ahh, the sheer satisfaction.

Thanks for the link. A handy tool to defeat the Axis of Ego.
:cool:

rockymtndoc

Post #: 19
- 2/2/2003 1:02:49 AM   
SLAAKATTAK

LANGUAGE? SORRY ABOUT THE FRENCH ROSS. NEXT TIME I'LL SPEAK GERMAN.

DOC- NEXT TIME YOU NEED A NEW COMP LET ME KNOW. I BUILD PC'S THAT STILL USE WIN98SE AND CAN DO THE [url]www.vmware.com[/url] COMBO IF YOU REALLY NEED TO.

Post #: 20
- 2/2/2003 9:07:59 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

Slaak when the moderators get a complaint I have to take action. It was this "SO GET BACK INTO YOUR LATRINE AND SHUT YOUR F*CKING A$$!!" is why you have been told to watch it.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

Post #: 21
- 2/2/2003 4:17:10 PM   
Deathifier

Just to note - you are more likely to get spam in your e-mail account(s) then you are getting some random message via the windows messaging system.

This is mainly because finding your IP address is a hell of a lot harder than finding your e-mail adress, and your IP address is liable to change (on dial-up) or you are likely going to have something in the way of it if you are on broadband (firewall, router).

IMO Win98 SE runs quite fine, it was a reliable NAT for the home LAN for a while (despite the limitations of its version of ICS) until being recently replaced by a much more capable hardware router.

It's only downside is the fact that if something crashes, it's liable to bring the entire thing to a grinding halt.
On the upside it's DOS memory manager is the most capable currently in existance - I have a nice selection of games that anything newer will refuse to run.

Oh, and it runs on a 486, an excellent combo for older games ;)

In summary it isn't the most wonderful OS in the world, but like all other versions of every other OS it has its good points and bad points and a set of tasks which suit it best.

- Deathifier

Post #: 22
- 2/3/2003 2:25:37 AM   
SLAAKATTAK

EXCELLENT POINTS DEATH. I REFER YOU ALSO TO THE FOLLOWING THREAD SINCE SOME OF OUR LESS INFORMED BRETHREN SEEM TO NEED SOME INDOCTRINATION THERE.:D

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29378

Post #: 23
- 2/3/2003 7:10:28 PM   
Arralen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Windows Messenger, it's one of those eeeeeevil little chat programs where you can use instant messaging to talk with people etc.

It is a resident program in windows. If you have Windows You have Windows Messenger (unless you intentionally delete it). [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, but you're all wrong.

Messenger is a system service, which you cannot uninstall as it is part of the OS.

It isn't a peer-to-peer chat program, but was intended to enable a network admin to send message to clients in the same network using some admin tools on a WinNT/W2k/XP machine. (The internet is a really big "local network", after all. go figure ..)

But the messenger cannot start any programs*, you cannot type in any return message, just click "ok" to close the window, so it's more annoying than anything else*.

[SIZE=1]*I can see some security problems nevertheless - if there's a bug in the code so you can make the service crash, or overflow the text field by inserting special characters in the to-be-displayed text, you may get any, but maybe small snippet of code to be processed on the target machine ...[/SIZE]

your part-time admin

A.

Post #: 24
- 2/4/2003 6:17:59 AM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arralen
[B]Sorry, but you're all wrong.

Messenger is a system service, which you cannot uninstall as it is part of the OS.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Your correct, except that you can "stop" or "disable" the service which is just as effective as an uninstall would be.

Post #: 25
- 2/4/2003 6:32:14 AM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arralen
[B]
It isn't a peer-to-peer chat program, but was intended to enable a network admin to send message to clients in the same network using some admin tools on a WinNT/W2k/XP machine. (The internet is a really big "local network", after all. go figure ..)

[/B][/QUOTE]

so les wasn´t right??

this messenger thing does not exist in win98 !!

Post #: 26
- 2/4/2003 10:21:59 AM   
Tombstone

I think Win2k is way more stable than any of the win98's, and XP really does seem to be a great OS. Some kid out there is obviously a huge fan of 98, and that's cool... but geez there's no reason to get nasty about a **** operating system. That's needless silliness (sp?). If I had my choice I'd stick with Win2k, I get such stability as to run SPWAW *ALL* the time, and alt-tabbing as necessary. I play Day of Defeat while SPWAW is going, and sometimes I don't reboot until my system idle process reads like 450 hours... I have had a very solid and good experience with win2k.

Tomo

Post #: 27
- 2/4/2003 11:44:04 AM   
Raindog101

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank W.
[B]so les wasn´t right??

this messenger thing does not exist in win98 !! [/B][/QUOTE]
Frank W. check here:

http://www.slipstick.com/config/win98-wminstall.htm

Post #: 28
- 2/4/2003 11:53:38 AM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Old Eagle101
[B]Frank W. check here:

http://www.slipstick.com/config/win98-wminstall.htm [/B][/QUOTE]

Guys, as already pointed out Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger have nothing to do with the exploit mentioned at the start of this forum.

To clarify further though, what LES is refering to IS accurate. The exploit takes advantage of the "messenger service" on Windows NT,2000,& XP. Back in 95/98/ME days it was called the "WinPopup Service" and is enabled automatically with certain types of networking so 9x users can still be subject to it.

It is much easier to disable this service in Windows NT/2000/XP than in 9x. Some systems may not be able to disable it at all in 9x..

One reference that discusses some of this is at:

http://www.more.net/security/advisories/2002/021025.html

Also see: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q168893

Post #: 29
- 2/4/2003 12:41:19 PM   
Tombstone

Dude, what did I say to get those asterisks? Hmm, **** (d.a.m.n)?

Wow, I guess so. I apologize for not adhering to the rules of language use, I'll refrain from it in the future.

Tomo

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> As if Les needs more reasons to hate 98, but look at this one Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI