Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Purchasing Board Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Purchasing Board Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Purchasing Board Game - 2/20/2014 2:22:15 PM   
jcrohio

Really enjoying this game. Interested in purchasing the board game but am a little confused on what would be the best game to purchase. Which board game comes the closest to the computer game. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jack
Post #: 1
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/20/2014 2:32:09 PM   
Hanal

http://lnlpublishing.com/products/lock-n-load-series

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 2
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/20/2014 2:45:43 PM   
vsadek

I never played any LnL board game, but honestly, after trying this digital edition I am considering buying my first board game myself. As far as I understood from Mark and Tom's posts here on forum the PC version system and rules are very true to the rules and spirit of the board LnL games.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 3
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/20/2014 2:46:40 PM   
Barthheart

To come closest to the same material as in the PC game you would need to find a copy of Band of Heroes and a copy of Not One Step Back.

Band of Heroes is currently out of print, but a new version is in the works. See the site that JP posted above.
I don't think Not One Step Back is in print either, but you might find a copy for sale somewhere.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 4
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/20/2014 2:57:01 PM   
SilliusSodus

There’s not a lot of difference rules wise between the board games. Day of Heroes is probably the one with the most differences (eg squares instead of hexes, one big fold out map rather than the geo boards, road blocks etc). There is about to be a few releases coming up. Forgotten heroes reprint is soon and I always strongly recommend this one as a first one its Vietnam so there are Helicopters in it, but as the first edition used program instructions the scenarios build up in hardware and complexity and it has some very good scenarios
Heroes of the blitzkrieg is available its one I don’t have but I have heard good things about
New releases on the horizon are Heroes of the Pacific, world war 2 pacific war and Heroes of the Mediterranean, Mare Nostrum which is north Africa, no idea what these are like.

Band of heroes will be released again at some point US (and when the new deluxe arrives UK) paras on the western front, but this has not been given a firm release date, if you want eastern front as it stands at the moment you need this and Not one step back which is also out of print
There are more and expansions but this is just what I would advise a newcomer

Summery: I would get Forgotten heroes if you can cope its in Vietnam, if it has to be world war 2 and you want it now then Heroes of the blitzkrieg or wait for one of the new ones coming soon

Edit: Forgotten heroes second edition doesn't use the programmed instruction in the rules but does retain the scenarios is what I mean

< Message edited by D.K McLeod -- 2/20/2014 3:58:38 PM >

(in reply to vsadek)
Post #: 5
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/20/2014 3:11:30 PM   
vsadek

@Barthheart and @D.K McLeod

Thanx for info. I do see myself as a WWII junkie but Vietnam game also sounds good. And this new BoH: Normandy edition is very tempting.

(in reply to SilliusSodus)
Post #: 6
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/20/2014 5:31:00 PM   
bayonetbrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

To come closest to the same material as in the PC game you would need to find a copy of Band of Heroes and a copy of Not One Step Back.

Band of Heroes is currently out of print, but a new version is in the works. See the site that JP posted above.
I don't think Not One Step Back is in print either, but you might find a copy for sale somewhere.

Just a note, check the req's on any of the expansions you purchase to make sure you're getting everything you need for all the scenarios.
quote:

Band of Heroes and Swift and Bold, or Band of Heroes Deluxe

There are some expansions that require pieces from other expansions to play all the scenarios (like needing some of the Germans from Swift & Bold to play NOSB). To LNLP's credit, they heard the customers when they said "we don't like this" and stopped doing it, and in this case, included those Germans in the BoH Deluxe set.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 7
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/20/2014 6:11:08 PM   
jcrohio

Thanks for the information - will try to find a copy of Band of Heroes
Jack

(in reply to bayonetbrant)
Post #: 8
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/21/2014 2:04:03 AM   
madDdog67

jcrohio, you are about to face a sad truth in the board gaming world: Band of Heroes is out of print now, and there aren't many copies around. There's a punched one on ebay now for $75, and another in very good condition for $150. Someone on BGG has one for a much more reasonable $30, but the listing is about 6 weeks old, so I don't know whether he's still got it. If he does, I would jump on that PRONTO if you're at all interested.

The cool thing about this system is there are already modules covering WWII, Vietnam, Falklands, Somalia, and even a "what if" WWWIII in 1985. Each module has some specific rules (usually 2 to 4 pages), but once you know how to play the game, you can play all of these modules with a minimum of additional effort. For me, this is one of LnL's great selling points.

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 9
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/21/2014 12:25:03 PM   
jcrohio

Yeah - looked around found one on Amazon but already sold - only one on Ebay was$150 - way too much

Went to LnL site and paid $80 for the "I Want it Now" (think that is what it was called) version of Heroes of Normandy. Hope I did not screw up by doing this and invest in something that is months (years?) from becoming reality.
Jack

(in reply to madDdog67)
Post #: 10
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/21/2014 2:21:52 PM   
vsadek

Yeah, I just did the same myself. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I want this game is the name of the LnL Publishing crowdfunding site.

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 11
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/21/2014 3:24:15 PM   
bayonetbrant

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_ProductLineID_E_2137421735_A_ManufacturerID_E_2145083918_A_CategoryID_E_13_A_GenreID_E_0

http://www.gamersarmory.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=34&osCsid=16706d5a17aa6f1669514161e51303d9

(in reply to vsadek)
Post #: 12
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/21/2014 4:17:20 PM   
markhwalker

You can preorder version 3 of Band of Heroes right cher.

http://iwantthisgame.com/index.php/discover/10-table-top-game/10-band-of-heroes-normandy

World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?

(in reply to bayonetbrant)
Post #: 13
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/21/2014 4:42:41 PM   
vsadek

Yes Mark that is exactly what Jack and I did. This is my first board game ever! Boy I am so excited. I need something to calm down …

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 14
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/21/2014 7:25:05 PM   
markhwalker

vsadek... word of warning. Band of Heroes Normandy is still months from completion. On the other hand, we should have Forgotten Heroes two in the warehouse next week.

World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?

(in reply to vsadek)
Post #: 15
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/21/2014 7:52:00 PM   
vsadek

Thanx for warning Mark. I can wait … and actually second on my list is Mare Nostrum. Does this game covers only initial Gaziani's push into Egypt or we can see some Compass action as well?

Post #: 16
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/21/2014 10:50:00 PM   
madDdog67

Forgotten Heroes 2 is a great game. Inspired by all the HoS i've been playing since I got it, I've got one of its signature scenarios, A Friend in Need, on the table right now. Played the first turn last night, and all hell is about to break loose in turn 2 :).

If you're at all interested in the Vietnam era, you should pick it up when it becomes available. At some point this weekend, I'll get around to picking up the Anzac Attacks expansion for it before they disappear out from under my nose.

(in reply to vsadek)
Post #: 17
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/21/2014 11:57:49 PM   
WilliePete

quote:

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

vsadek... word of warning. Band of Heroes Normandy is still months from completion. On the other hand, we should have Forgotten Heroes two in the warehouse next week.

Mark, amazing game! I really like the art and style of your games. Are there any plans to make a battle/scenario pack for HoS? Would love to see more units, especially leaders. Thanks!

- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -

Post #: 18
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/22/2014 11:47:40 AM   
zouave

Don't forget your FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store), which might still have a copy of the game in stock. I live in Virginia and think I saw a copy of BoH on the shelves of a local store. Here's a list of game stores from Boardgamegeek:

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Friendly_Local_Game_Stores_(FLGS)_of_the_USA#toc44

As far as online, other than e-Bay you could use this site to look for copies: http://www.boardgameprices.com/

Though Band of Heroes is out of print, you can find still copies of Heroes of the Blitzkrieg, which is a stand-alone game using the same system on France 1940 with Germans, French and Belgians.

Finally, there is a great wargaming website called Consimworld. If you go to the Marketplace Listings folder and say you "Want to Buy" a copy of Band of Heroes, I can almost guarantee you will get several responses with reasonable prices. Last October, someone was selling one for $20.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee7011b/69381

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 19
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/24/2014 5:56:34 AM   
acbennett3

Also once you get the boardgame you can download and play it via the VASSAL engine on your computer.

VASSAL is a program used for converting all sorts of boardgames to display and manual play on the computer - no AI. It is like you are playing the regular game just everything is on the computer display. Being a long time board/wargamer this program is invaluable to me. Having 3 kids and 2 dogs it is impossible to setup a game anywhere safely. Also living in Montana FtF gamers where I live are non-existent. With VASSAL I can play games on any of my computers (including my 8" Win81 tablet) thru the magic of saving the game file in the 'cloud'. Also I have played games via PBEM with opponents all over the world.

LnL has made VASSAL mods for most of the LnL series (BoH, FH, HOG, DoH) and they are available for download from the LnL site as well as the VASSAL site.

VASSAL Site: http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php
BoH VASSAL Module: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Lock_%27n_Load:_World_Championship

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Santayana

(in reply to zouave)
Post #: 20
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/26/2014 6:39:32 AM   
godovic

Guys, any hint on which is the first game in series to buy? Which would you recommend for a novice player? Thank you in advance.

(in reply to acbennett3)
Post #: 21
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/26/2014 10:57:21 AM   
markhwalker

quote:

battle/scenario pack for HoS? Would love to see more units, especially leaders. Thanks!

I hate to sound like a used car salesman, and I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it is completely dependent on sales.

quote:

Guys, any hint on which is the first game in series to buy? Which would you recommend for a novice player? Thank you in advance.

It depends on the era you enjoy, but many think Forgotten Heroes 2 (2nd edition) is the best. It's set in Vietnam.

(in reply to godovic)
Post #: 22
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/26/2014 12:14:37 PM   
godovic

Well, WWII would be my era of choice and I am not sure I understand the start up campaign for Band of Heroes correctly. If I buy lesser rank, will I be able to buy counters or maps that are available for higher rank of the start-up?

Post #: 23
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/26/2014 5:29:19 PM   
tyrion22

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alchymista

Well, WWII would be my era of choice and I am not sure I understand the start up campaign for Band of Heroes correctly. If I buy lesser rank, will I be able to buy counters or maps that are available for higher rank of the start-up?

From the description of the $90 reward the Michael Wittman, Commandos and French Resistance modules are labeled as exclusive, so I would guess they won't be available later, but Mark would be the one to confirm this.

It seems you get a lot just in the base game though, since you get The Swift and the Bold expansion included in the base game. That means Normandy and Market Garden in one game. :) I just had to get the Michael Wittman module though, so I got the $100 reward (+$20 for international shipping). Just for good measure I ordered Forgotten Heroes too, from the LnL web store. After all, that's where the Lock'n Load series started.

I don't know why I've waited so long to buy a Lock'n Load board game, since I loved it the first time I played the small print'n play scenario Mark made before Forgotten Heroes was released. Playing the PC game reminded me how much I loved the system. It just pushes more of my buttons than the other squad level games I've tried.

< Message edited by oivind22 -- 2/26/2014 6:36:20 PM >

(in reply to godovic)
Post #: 24
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/26/2014 5:52:22 PM   
jcrohio

I have a question for Mark. Went over to the website and paid $80 for the "I Want it Now" version of Band of Heroes. I also am interested in Not One Step Back (I know you need Band of Heroes but still would like to get it). Your website says they are out of stock. My question is should I be looking around for a copy or will you get them back in stock?

Thanks
Jack

(in reply to tyrion22)
Post #: 25
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/27/2014 12:25:34 AM   
madDdog67

For anyone looking at the board game, this is from today over on consimworld:

Lock N Load / Mark Walker's
Band of Heroes (2nd Edition) - Very Good punched & played once ....... $40
Not One Step Back (zipolck) - Like New UP ....... $30

The only problem with a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 26
RE: Purchasing Board Game - 2/27/2014 12:40:20 PM   
markhwalker

quote:

The only problem with a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.
So true. One of the characters in Everyone Dies in the End feels exactly that way... no bills, no reality TV, just pure zombie mashing.

Looks like Forgotten Heroes 2 will be in the warehouse March 4th.

(in reply to madDdog67)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Purchasing Board Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI