Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distant Worlds 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Distant Worlds 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distant Worlds 2 - 2/26/2014 3:39:01 PM   
VorteeX

Erik or Gerry, can we get some info about DW2. Meybe some screenshots already, ideas. I'm ask becose today announcement Star Drive 2. They give some screenshots and basic idea to get back into turn based strategy with real time battles.

Thats why i'm interesting what you guys planing. *making very sweat eyes* preaty please.
Post #: 1
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/26/2014 3:41:54 PM   
Cauldyth

Most of us would be happy with some screenshots of Universe first!

(in reply to VorteeX)
Post #: 2
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/26/2014 6:45:10 PM   
joeyeti

VorteeX, don't hold your breath for at least a year, if not more I suppose... First the Universe expansion has to come out and only then serious work on DW2 can begin (not that some preparational work would not be done I guess, but you cannot expect such a small studio to be working full time on two projects).

Joe

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 3
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/26/2014 6:49:23 PM   
Flinkebeinchen

Looks like StarDrive 2 took some features Distant Worlds..

[..]Build a space empire turn by turn in an immersive, living galaxy filled with 9 alien races, pirate factions, galactic lore and mystery.[..]
[..]Research hundreds of technologies, including technologies that are unique to your race. Find even more technologies through in-game events and galactic exploration[..]

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 4
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/26/2014 7:08:54 PM   
ASHBERY76

I don't think DW was the first game to have features.DW only unique aspect is the non abstracted economy.

(in reply to Flinkebeinchen)
Post #: 5
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/26/2014 7:48:54 PM   
Cauldyth

I didn't enjoy the original, here's hoping the second iteration is more to my liking. It'll definitely be "wait and see" though.

And man, I don't know what's been worse, the long drought where no one was making space 4X games, or this recent period where everyone's making them, but they're almost all disappointing. DW is the only one of them that has a coherent, enjoyable (and novel) approach. The rest seem to do some things right, but other things drastically wrong. It makes me want to lock all those other developers in a room, and force them to make a game with the best of each of their ideas.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 6
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/27/2014 6:45:20 AM   
VorteeX

quote:

ORIGINAL: joeyeti

VorteeX, don't hold your breath for at least a year, if not more I suppose... First the Universe expansion has to come out and only then serious work on DW2 can begin (not that some preparational work would not be done I guess, but you cannot expect such a small studio to be working full time on two projects).

Well i'm was thinking about this, you say small studio. So, making game engine, GUI is easy with compared to making whole game AI of this kind. DW have nice community/moders. So why to not give DW2 ingame open source script editor for making AI (ship behaviour, empire diplomacy, planet behaviour etc.)
Typical object type with events like OnEnemySign() OnHit(shield%) etc.

And i'm sure game can see daylight alot faster if Erik Team don't need to focus on making whole universe AI, leave this to dedicated moders. Also so good possibility of game moding bring alot more moders here later, so we get alot more fun.

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 7
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/27/2014 7:05:25 AM   
joeyeti

Those are nice ideas, but I am afraid this game does not use that approach. Yes, they might request help from some established DW players/modders during the lifecycle (as I believe they did for DW already), but I do not think they would outsource any development part outside the studio.

Joe

(in reply to VorteeX)
Post #: 8
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/27/2014 2:15:32 PM   
DeadlyShoe

You can't trust anything promised by Star Drive 2, since they never finished all the features of Star Drive 1. :p

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 9
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/27/2014 6:20:49 PM   
Deathball

quote:

ORIGINAL: VorteeX

And i'm sure game can see daylight alot faster if Erik Team don't need to focus on making whole universe AI, leave this to dedicated moders. Also so good possibility of game moding bring alot more moders here later, so we get alot more fun.

Am I the only one who finds this proposal to have the devs just release an unfinished product and rely on free labor to complete it absolutely disgusting?

(in reply to VorteeX)
Post #: 10
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/27/2014 7:25:43 PM   
ReadeB

Modding is for those gamers who think a game would be perfect if it could do one more thing.

I don't have any problem with devs making the game mechanics work and letting modders fill it with content.

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 11
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/28/2014 3:05:47 PM   
feygan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

I didn't enjoy the original, here's hoping the second iteration is more to my liking. It'll definitely be "wait and see" though.

And man, I don't know what's been worse, the long drought where no one was making space 4X games, or this recent period where everyone's making them, but they're almost all disappointing. DW is the only one of them that has a coherent, enjoyable (and novel) approach. The rest seem to do some things right, but other things drastically wrong. It makes me want to lock all those other developers in a room, and force them to make a game with the best of each of their ideas.

If you don't like DW then why would you ever consider that you may like DW2? Pretty much every single sequel be it game or film has been a simple expansion and development on ideas presented in the first offering. I cannot fathom why any developer of a product would radically alter the core of the product line and yet keep the name?

If the DW dev comes up with a game that is to your liking it won't be DW2 it will be something else.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 12
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/28/2014 3:28:32 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: feygan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

If you don't like DW then why would you ever consider that you may like DW2? Pretty much every single sequel be it game or film has been a simple expansion and development on ideas presented in the first offering. I cannot fathom why any developer of a product would radically alter the core of the product line and yet keep the name?

If the DW dev comes up with a game that is to your liking it won't be DW2 it will be something else.

Could be wrong, but I thought he was talking about StarDrive.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 13
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/28/2014 3:55:12 PM   
Cauldyth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito
Could be wrong, but I thought he was talking about StarDrive.

Yeah, I was talking about StarDrive. I absolutely love Distant Worlds. Of course, feygan's point applies equally well to the StarDrive series.

However, a developer may radically change the approach of a sequel if the original didn't sell as well as they'd hoped. For example, I'd consider StarDrive 2's switch to a turn-based strategic layer with separate real-time battles to be a pretty radical change over the original, which had a combined real-time approach for both.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 14
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 2/28/2014 9:14:42 PM   
Bebop Cola

Does anyone know why there hasn't been any sort of announcement around here for Distant Worlds: Universe?

I mean, if it were due out in another 6 months to a year I could understand the silence, but if it's truly due out next month as the interviews elsewhere state, then it seems like something worthy of announcing here. I wouldn't even be aware of it without Darkspire's post back in January. Am I just out of touch with where I should be getting my Distant Worlds news?

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 15
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 3/1/2014 10:38:44 AM   
VorteeX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathball

quote:

ORIGINAL: VorteeX

Am I the only one who finds this proposal to have the devs just release an unfinished product and rely on free labor to complete it absolutely disgusting?

I'm don't mean unfinished, i'm sure devs make some basic, working fine scripts. But i'm also sure they will be not enough for everyone. It's always like this, no matter how complex they will be.

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 16
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 3/2/2014 1:17:28 AM   
DrApostle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bebop Cola

Does anyone know why there hasn't been any sort of announcement around here for Distant Worlds: Universe?

I mean, if it were due out in another 6 months to a year I could understand the silence, but if it's truly due out next month as the interviews elsewhere state, then it seems like something worthy of announcing here. I wouldn't even be aware of it without Darkspire's post back in January. Am I just out of touch with where I should be getting my Distant Worlds news?

You should be careful with your post as it could be perceived as an attack on Matrix's unquestionably superior marketing strategy. This could result in the locking of this tread and the termination of your privilege to post on these forums.

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 17
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 3/2/2014 5:16:00 AM   
Tcby

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrApostle
You should be careful with your post as it could be perceived as an attack on Matrix's unquestionably superior marketing strategy. This could result in the locking of this tread and the termination of your privilege to post on these forums.

I don't think that has ever happened

(in reply to DrApostle)
Post #: 18
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 3/2/2014 7:39:10 PM   
Bebop Cola

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrApostle

I understand you're trying to be funny, but I wasn't looking for a snarky response when I asked the question.

(in reply to DrApostle)
Post #: 19
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 3/2/2014 9:29:38 PM   
DrApostle

I think a lot of us who LOVE Distant Worlds are on the same page of wanting more info. So in the absence of a real response, I thought I would post a funny one.

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 20
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 3/3/2014 5:31:21 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sorry, WAY too early to discuss DW2. We need to still preview, promote and release Universe before we can even think about discussing DW2.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to DrApostle)
Post #: 21
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 3/3/2014 5:35:57 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

We just need you to grab Erik from 2015 and get him to do the spoiling...

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 22
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 3/3/2014 6:08:39 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

2015 Erik is already busy trying to help catch up on all the current releases. We could use our time machine to reach forward and bring 2018 Erik back to begin work in DW2, but the Eriks already cost us a fortune in food (well, "food" is more accurate) and they all keep squabbling about who gets to sleep in the bed and who has to lay by the door to keep the draughts (and rats) out.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 23
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 3/3/2014 7:26:59 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

quote:

but the Eriks already cost us a fortune in food (well, "food" is more accurate)

Beer is Bread!

“Ah, beer. The cause of and the solution to all of life’s problems.” — Homer Simpson

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 24
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - 3/4/2014 12:12:19 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

Beer is Bread!

“Ah, beer. The cause of and the solution to all of life’s problems.” — Homer Simpson

It's food... or at least one argument proposes such...
http://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/519/

And if you want more protein or just want to prove that everything ends up tasting like chicken, there's always 17th century English culinary delights like Cock Ale.
http://britishfoodhistory.wordpress.com/2013/11/17/forgotten-foods-4-cock-beer/

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Distant Worlds 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI