Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2.* Wishlist Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> 2.* Wishlist Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2.* Wishlist Thread - 2/22/2014 10:51:28 AM   
junk2drive

Post your wishlist requests for future updates here

Mine for now

Change folder structure to put saves, non stock content, and mods in Documents/My Games folder or similar.

Edit to change title

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 6/5/2014 11:24:00 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/22/2014 11:41:21 AM   
recruit2112

It would be nice to have access to the opportunity fire range dialog box in the scenario editor and have the program remember your settings from session to session.

< Message edited by recruit2112 -- 2/23/2014 12:46:40 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 2
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/22/2014 1:16:52 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Mine for now

Change folder structure to put saves, non stock content, and mods in Documents/My Games folder or similar.

You are a Micro$oft planted spy, yes? They are the only ones who would want to scatter a game's files across the expanse of the hard drive.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/22/2014 2:26:41 PM   
junk2drive

Currently there are suggestions to install a fresh 1.0 version then update to 2.0. To do that, one should uninstall the current version and delete any leftover files. That requires backing up any of the files I mentioned to somewhere... hmmm... maybe MyGames? Wouldn't it be nice if the game did that for you?

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 4
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/22/2014 2:55:12 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

Mine for now

You are a Micro$oft planted spy, yes? They are the only ones who would want to scatter a game's files across the expanse of the hard drive.

Something similar, discussed but back burnered in the dev forum:

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

A "structural" issue: reorganizing the games' files and folders.

Let's take a look at just one game, East Front.

In East Front, there are

[root@berto East Front]# ls -1 | wc -l

5282 files, all of them in the top-level game folder. There is no hierarchy, no organization. It's hard to wade through and find stuff in all of that morass.

This is what I propose:

Retain the main, top-level folder: various .exe & .dll files, for the game engine, the editors, and whatnot; also .ini & other configuration files; and any miscellaneous files not covered by the following.

Under the main, top-level folder, these folders, most of them new:

• Graphics: all .bmp, .bit, .jpg, .png & any other graphics files
  • Pictures: all .bmp, .bit, .jpg, .png & any other picture files
  • Sounds: all .ogg, .wav & any other sound files
  • Scenarios: all .scn, .scl, .map & .org files, also any special scenario docs
  • OOBs: all .oob & .obx files
  • Saves: all .btt, .btl & any other save game files
  • Manuals: all .pdf, .doc, .rtf & other documentation and text files (.hlp files?)
  • Logs: error, AI & other log files
  • Tools: CSlint files, unit viewers, maybe some encryption tools, etc.
  • Mods: (details to be described at a later date)

I would recode the game (not difficult) to look for files

• first, in their "proper" place, in the appropriate folder as described above; if not found, then
  • second, in the main, top-level folder

In this way, we can transition from the current layout to the new one. The game will still work whether all or only some of us adopt the new folder layout, or in the meantime keep the current single-folder layout. (Eventually, we will all want to have the same file/folder organization of course.)

I'd like to move on this fairly soon.

Thoughts?

• The problem is: how do we get to there from here?

The current patching process adds files and overwrites files assuming that just about everything is contained with one, massive top-level per-game folder. How does the Matrix installer EXE

• create new folders?
  • dump new content into those folders, while also deleting the corresponding data files from the top-level folder (so you don't have duplicate data files, in both the old location and the new)?
  • deal with mods and other user customizations?

Now throw into the mix the suggestion to move/install stuff in Documents/My Games?

In many and unfortunate ways, we are constrained by what has gone before. It would be great, now with 2.00 or in a future version, to break all ties with the 1.00 legacy past and start entirely afresh. But I don't see that happening. Hence the back burnering of the File/Folder Reorganization Project, perhaps for good.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
    Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
    Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Lobster)
  • Post #: 5
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/22/2014 7:18:40 PM   
    lecrop

My wish from the Dawn of Time; I would like to see the info screen (F2) of the units carried by vehicles.

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 6
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/22/2014 9:03:05 PM   
    budd

another zoom level and mouse wheel zoom

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
    I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to lecrop)
    Post #: 7
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/22/2014 9:47:13 PM   
    kool_kat

Gents:

I would like to see a larger bottom icon toolbar menu. The current one is very small and if it were not for the pop-up text when I roll the cursor over the icons, I would be unable to distinguish the function!

Berto replied to my request over at the Blitz Forums with this response:

"We are unlikely to reduce the number of icons in the toolbar. The idea is to have the most commonly used game functions accessible three ways: toolbar, menu, hot keys.

However, we are thinking of giving players the option to toggle between the current small vs. a new larger toolbar, with larger buttons."

Having a choice for a larger bottom icon tool bar would be most appreciated by this player! Thank you!

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

(in reply to budd)
    Post #: 8
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/23/2014 12:29:52 AM   
    junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

another zoom level and mouse wheel zoom

You can still use autohotkey for scroll wheel zoom but built in would be nicer.

(in reply to budd)
    Post #: 9
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/23/2014 5:38:10 AM   
    Bigeard

Please please please... the ability to keep the 'Find Org' dialogue open, with the organization tree expanded, while moving/firing the selected units on the map. As per this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3522335

I will have Berto's baby if this can be accomplished.

Regards

Paul Kirkland

(in reply to junk2drive)
    Post #: 10
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/23/2014 3:31:58 PM   
    berto

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
    Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Bigeard)
    Post #: 11
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/23/2014 6:15:04 PM   
    Dan K

A short cut key for hiding hot spot.

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 12
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 2/24/2014 5:12:28 PM   
    TheGrayMouser

High walls ( the kind engineers can blow up) should block LOS and not allow units to fire thru them.

(in reply to Dan K)
    Post #: 13
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 3/2/2014 2:09:04 AM   
    junk2drive

bunp

(in reply to TheGrayMouser)
    Post #: 14
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 3/2/2014 9:34:31 PM   
    PawelM

something about air strike which I do not like: I plot an air strike at certain location and I loose LOS on the hex=> air strike does not arrive.
    I would like the airstrike to be able to occur even then. Imagine and aircraft which was called by ground units arriving and although friendly units have lost sight of the target then air units can still locate it if it is still there! They have their own eyes and if they arrive to the requested sector for support they do not require ground units.... Attack whatever is there they find... this would be a nice and realistic addition to air strikes IMHO...

(in reply to junk2drive)
    Post #: 15
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 3/5/2014 2:29:36 PM   
    CaptainHuge

quote:

ORIGINAL: PawelM

something about air strike which I do not like: I plot an air strike at certain location and I loose LOS on the hex=> air strike does not arrive.
    I would like the airstrike to be able to occur even then. Imagine and aircraft which was called by ground units arriving and although friendly units have lost sight of the target then air units can still locate it if it is still there! They have their own eyes and if they arrive to the requested sector for support they do not require ground units.... Attack whatever is there they find... this would be a nice and realistic addition to air strikes IMHO...

This seems like a good idea to me. I would think that if an air strike were called in but the target moves out of site just before the aircraft arrive, the pilots would still take a look for targets of opportunity in the area before bugging out.

(in reply to PawelM)
    Post #: 16
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 3/5/2014 4:01:17 PM   
    Citizen Emperor

<< I would think that if an air strike were called in but the target moves out of site just before the aircraft arrive, the pilots would still take a look for targets of opportunity in the area before bugging out. >>

I believe that was standard procedure for Rudel and his fellow Stuka pilots.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."

(in reply to CaptainHuge)
    Post #: 17
    Terrain - 3/9/2014 3:52:54 PM   
    lgsptlnd

Often wished that when creating a map, you were able to use fields and plowed fields simultaneously. Not every field in any given area is always plowed at exactly the same time. This way you could hinder movement in some areas and restrict LOS in others.

(in reply to junk2drive)
    Post #: 18
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist - 3/12/2014 6:38:45 PM   
    USScoralsea

I would like to see all the platoon units for the AXIS (German, Italian) that are in the WEST FRONT OOB but NOT in the EAST FRONT OOB added to the EAST FRONT OOB. While this may not be historically accurate, all units had the potential of being sent to the eastern front.

New addittions for the German OOB. Panzer IV J ( already exists for Finland OOB ) and the stuG IV. Over a thousand of each of these were produced before the wars end.

(in reply to lgsptlnd)
    Post #: 19
    RE: 2.01 Wishlist - 3/12/2014 7:49:44 PM   
    berto

Perhaps this thread should be titled the "2.10 Wishlist"?

I hate to break the news, but 2.01 will be about bug fixing and polishing the roughest of rough edges, not about fulfilling general player wishes. The fulfillment of other wishes will come in later content releases, perhaps very much later.

Just sayin'.

(in reply to USScoralsea)
    Post #: 20
    RE: 2.* Wishlist - 3/13/2014 12:53:51 AM   
    junk2drive

You got your wish.

Did I mention scroll wheel zoom? Someone in COH liked the shift+wheel to zoom in and out...

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 21
    RE: 2.* Wishlist - 3/14/2014 1:21:12 AM   
    dgk196

Hello...

I'd like to see a little more target type 'accuracy' for attacks by aircraft. By that I mean, if you send out some aircraft to attack tanks at least if they get the target wrong they attack another vehicle.
    having your aircraft armed for taking out tanks then promptly attack an adjacent infantry platoon really is kind of odd. I flew in the service, we rarely mistook people on the ground for vehicles of some kind. So, maybe a botched mission would be limited to attacking a similar target, maybe just not the specific one you had designated for attack. When you send out your ac to attack a gun installation it should at least attack some kind of gun. Not a truck, not a tank, not an infantry platoon. It might be over the top for some, but, could you make it an option? Maybe hook it up to a 'slider' that ran from no target type mistakes to a 'drop your bombs anywhere and head for home' attack. Thanks for listening. By the way...installed 2.0... great, very much appreciated. Thank you very much for what must have been some very hard work!

Dennis

(in reply to junk2drive)
    Post #: 22
    RE: 2.* Wishlist - 3/14/2014 8:17:24 AM   
    Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: dgk196

Hello...

I'd like to see a little more target type 'accuracy' for attacks by aircraft. By that I mean, if you send out some aircraft to attack tanks at least if they get the target wrong they attack another vehicle.
    having your aircraft armed for taking out tanks then promptly attack an adjacent infantry platoon really is kind of odd. I flew in the service, we rarely mistook people on the ground for vehicles of some kind. So, maybe a botched mission would be limited to attacking a similar target, maybe just not the specific one you had designated for attack. When you send out your ac to attack a gun installation it should at least attack some kind of gun. Not a truck, not a tank, not an infantry platoon. It might be over the top for some, but, could you make it an option? Maybe hook it up to a 'slider' that ran from no target type mistakes to a 'drop your bombs anywhere and head for home' attack. Thanks for listening. By the way...installed 2.0... great, very much appreciated. Thank you very much for what must have been some very hard work!

Dennis

+1
    Planes hitting anything *but* your target
    There's this indestructible T-34 and you send in some Stuka's and all they can find and hit is a...truck. Had me cussing a lot at the screen hehe.
    Oh and mousewheel zoom please.

Other than that great work with the update, many thanks

(in reply to dgk196)
    Post #: 23
    RE: 2.* Wishlist - 3/15/2014 3:28:52 PM   
    rpwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

quote:

Hello...

Dennis

+1
    There's this indestructible T-34 and you send in some Stuka's and all they can find and hit is a...truck. Had me cussing a lot at the screen hehe.

+1 for the airstrike.

(in reply to Josh)
    Post #: 24
    RE: 2.* Wishlist - 3/15/2014 3:49:54 PM   
    TheGrayMouser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

quote:

Hello...

Dennis

+1

What if airstrikes "attacked" an entire hex, the way an artillery strike does? Too powerfull?

(in reply to Josh)
    Post #: 25
    RE: 2.* Wishlist - 3/24/2014 3:44:09 AM   
    junk2drive

Generated battles allow you to go past 1945 but won't let you select Axis Soviet vs Allied USA. I realize that you want to sell future versions of the game but I wish I could do some post war "what ifs" with what we have.

(in reply to TheGrayMouser)
    Post #: 26
    RE: 2.* Wishlist - 3/26/2014 2:27:40 PM   
    Crossroads

quote:

Generated battles allow you to go past 1945 but won't let you select Axis Soviet vs Allied USA. I realize that you want to sell future versions of the game but I wish I could do some post war "what ifs" with what we have.

This is not something that has been disabled by design as far as I know, it is rather that only certain original country slots are available for use by the battle generator. Axis Soviet country code 24 is a late addition, that is probably the reason why they are not there.

Perhaps something that can be looked in a future version...

(in reply to junk2drive)
    Post #: 27
    RE: 2.* Wishlist - 3/27/2014 2:40:42 AM   
    junk2drive

WF Bootcamp 11 is 1953, Soviets vs USA. I should be able to generate a battle if I can play a created one.

(in reply to Crossroads)
    Post #: 28
    RE: 2.* Wishlist - 3/27/2014 8:46:25 PM   
    Warhorse

I would like this too, but this is a legacy thing we haven't gotten to yet. No slots past 21(Japanese) usually work, if you modify the campaign file of Germany, Hungary, or one of the Axis to include 24(Russia), they will show up in battles, but no, they are unavailable by themselves for now, I know, it sucks!! The battle generator, as you probably know, uses the same process as the DCG's, utilizing the campaignxx.oob file to choose formations. This has been a problem with the series from jump, I know, one of the first things I tried to do back when EFII came out, was to do what-if battles! I'm a big fan of what-ifs, obviously, I made the K'talan mod, so hopefully we can get this thing to work sometime soon, would be awesome! I have the Raging Bear scenario, but it needs tweaking, and not sure if it's even available, been so long since I tried it out with a few testers!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    www.cslegion.com

(in reply to junk2drive)
    Post #: 29
    RE: 2.* Wishlist - 4/9/2014 11:09:56 PM   
    Dumnorix

PNG file support for all graphics to set an real new JTCS with 2014 3d produced graphics.
    http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3586461&mpage=1&key=�

H.Balck (The 1st (1998 !) and the last modder of JTCS !!!)

< Message edited by Dumnorix -- 4/10/2014 12:11:21 AM >

(in reply to Warhorse)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> 2.* Wishlist Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI