Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thanks for doing a demo!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> QVADRIGA >> Thanks for doing a demo! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/5/2014 6:43:09 PM   
JiminyJickers

Thanks for doing a demo, so rare these days. Wasn't 100% sure about the game but the demo convinced me, buying it now.
Post #: 1
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/5/2014 10:17:41 PM   
Niessuh

I am glad to read this! demos are a dying breed these days, unfortunately

(in reply to JiminyJickers)
Post #: 2
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/6/2014 12:40:56 AM   
amps63

The demo made me buy it. Thanks!

(in reply to Niessuh)
Post #: 3
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/6/2014 2:00:02 AM   
Ranger33

I've played the demo a few times and it's winning me over, the visuals and production values are much better than the screenshots alone convey. Will probably give in and buy it this weekend!

(in reply to amps63)
Post #: 4
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/6/2014 6:38:17 PM   
LaStarza61

I have an observation concerning the demo. I've noticed that the AI opponents seem to very often stay high on the track in the outside lanes. All I have to do is stay on the inside and I'm able to win just about every race. I've also noticed that the AI opponents seem to take strange actions sometimes... like defending off attacks when there is no one even close by... and using the crash action when there is no one around them. Is this because it's just the demo and the official game has tighter or better opponent AI?

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 5
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/6/2014 7:03:47 PM   
Tamas

Defending when nobody is around is usually taken in the rare instances when there is no need for an other order.
I don't recall seeing the crash action in such context, maybe it happened because it anticipated an opponent catching up, which didn't happen?

On which track did you see the AI keeping to the outside lane?

(in reply to LaStarza61)
Post #: 6
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/6/2014 7:11:26 PM   
LaStarza61

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas

Defending when nobody is around is usually taken in the rare instances when there is no need for an other order.
I don't recall seeing the crash action in such context, maybe it happened because it anticipated an opponent catching up, which didn't happen?

On which track did you see the AI keeping to the outside lane?

Thanks for the quick response. I think the track is called Purpura (the Greek oval). That's the one where I've seen the AI opponents racing in the outside lanes a lot... usually for no obvious reason. They just go outside and stay there. It looks like sometimes they skid to the outside lanes during one of the turns... but they just stay there and don't try to move back inside.

< Message edited by LaStarza61 -- 3/6/2014 8:14:28 PM >

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 7
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/6/2014 7:58:46 PM   
elmo3

I also just ran a race in the demo where all three opponents went to the outside and stayed there the whole race. No idea which track it was but we started and ended at the midpoint of the track if that helps.

Edit - Nicopolis was the track.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 3/6/2014 9:07:52 PM >

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to LaStarza61)
Post #: 8
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/6/2014 8:18:01 PM   
LaStarza61

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

I also just ran a race in the demo where all three opponents went to the outside and stayed there the whole race. No idea which track it was but we started and ended at the midpoint of the track if that helps.

Edit - Nicopolis was the track.

Yeah, that's the one. It's actually very annoying. I just won two more races on that track and all I had to do was go to the inner-most lane and use keep control as the action. There's no need to crash or lacerate any opponents because they're always way on the outside and way behind. To be honest, it's not a lot of fun. That's why I'm hoping it's just an anomaly with this particular track and that it's limited to the demo... because I really want to like this game.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 9
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/6/2014 9:09:42 PM   
Niessuh

Staying at inner radiuses at maximum speed at that circus is dangerous, you could get horse/wheel damage easily and probably even the flipping result. Sometimes you could take some risky turn and get lucky though. Anyways, the purpura auriga included at the demo has the level one skill upgrade (star), and this combined with the control order and the slowest horse team allows them to stay safer than other drivers without the skill upgrade and/or with faster horses.

Every circus configuration has an ideal upgrade combination and I guess this purpura team fits perfectly for Nicopolis...Try running there with the other aurata auriga with top fast horses (you could switch circus selection at the main menu after selecting faction)

(in reply to LaStarza61)
Post #: 10
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/6/2014 9:47:12 PM   
LaStarza61

quote:

ORIGINAL: Turnopia

Staying at inner radiuses at maximum speed at that circus is dangerous, you could get horse/wheel damage easily and probably even the flipping result. Sometimes you could take some risky turn and get lucky though. Anyways, the purpura auriga included at the demo has the level one skill upgrade (star), and this combined with the control order and the slowest horse team allows them to stay safer than other drivers without the skill upgrade and/or with faster horses.

Every circus configuration has an ideal upgrade combination and I guess this purpura team fits perfectly for Nicopolis...Try running there with the other aurata auriga with top fast horses (you could switch circus selection at the main menu after selecting faction)

I just ran two more races at Nicopolis using the other aurata auriga as you suggested and still won both races by staying inside while the AI opponents all went outside and stayed there. I don't have to go that fast by accelerating or whipping because I have such a shorter distance to travel. I just use the maintain control action and I easily cruise to a win. I really want to purchase this game, but these results make me nervous.

I hope you don't take this as I'm bashing the game or something... I'm just hoping that there's something I'm missing since it seems much too easy to win... at least in the demo.
The biggest issue seems to be that all the AI racers go to the outer-most lane and, once they're there, they just stay there for the rest of the race.

(in reply to Niessuh)
Post #: 11
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/6/2014 9:54:03 PM   
Tamas

On that track, if you are going reasonably fast, you need the outer lane, basically, unless your auriga is skilled. So I would imagine that your AI opponents are on default skill, and find themselves with the problem of too much risk if they start something tricky.

This does happen in this track at times during the full game's campaign game, but there you have the different factions and levels of race tracks influencing the generation of AI opponents (and the advancement of the faction leader AI opponents!), so it is much more rare there.

But in fact it should be more rare here as well, as I don't remember encountering this behaviour as constant at all. I will do some testing of the demo tomorrow.

(in reply to LaStarza61)
Post #: 12
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/9/2014 3:44:07 PM   
Dorb

Demo sold me on the game.- Thanks. Downloading now.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 13
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/9/2014 3:58:21 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas

On that track, if you are going reasonably fast, you need the outer lane, basically, unless your auriga is skilled. So I would imagine that your AI opponents are on default skill, and find themselves with the problem of too much risk if they start something tricky.

This does happen in this track at times during the full game's campaign game, but there you have the different factions and levels of race tracks influencing the generation of AI opponents (and the advancement of the faction leader AI opponents!), so it is much more rare there.

But in fact it should be more rare here as well, as I don't remember encountering this behaviour as constant at all. I will do some testing of the demo tomorrow.

I don't think there is a problem. I see the AI using all tracks. in fact, they go out of their way to move and block me!

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 14
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/10/2014 11:29:13 PM   
Dorb

Well it is just a demo to get the general idea. I have not seen it in the purchased game yet. Just buy it, it's $20. It's dinner out with not drinks.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 15
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/11/2014 1:08:58 AM   
blastpop

I downloaded the Demo and played it. My son saw me playing and sat down and played- he loves it. He is 13 so the subject matter certainly appeals to him. At dinner this evening he was pushing me to buy it this evening. I think the $20 will be well spent since both of us will be playing it.

Reminds me a lot of the old classic "Circus Maximus" which I had countless hours of fun playing with friends.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 16
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/11/2014 3:42:35 AM   
Temple

I'll also agree, posting a demo was great. I made my decision to buy based upon what I saw there.

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 17
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/11/2014 5:59:05 AM   
rooivalk

Demo resulted in me buying the game

At Fiddler’s Green, where seamen true, when here they’ve done their duty, The bowl of grog shall still renew and pledge to love and beauty

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 18
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/11/2014 7:06:24 AM   
Qwixt

I will probably buy it. Just waiting for a patch to fix the one issue I saw with my first game. Did not play it much after I saw that.

(in reply to rooivalk)
Post #: 19
RE: Thanks for doing a demo! - 3/11/2014 8:20:46 AM   
76mm

The AI in this game is actually pretty good I think, and you'll see it doing pretty fancy moves as you go along, I've actually learned quite a bit from the AI.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> QVADRIGA >> Thanks for doing a demo! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI