Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Now that you have lived in the computer age....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Now that you have lived in the computer age.... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Now that you have lived in the computer age.... - 3/6/2014 5:46:56 AM   
histgamer

I feel lucky myself because I feel I grew up in the perfect era if you will. I was born in 87 and grew up during the tech boom of the 90s but while we had PC's and Computers the mobility of it all was still lacking so I can say I played tons of sports, spent lots of time outside, played cops and robbers and wargames with friends outside all the time, we even built our own paintball course and used that for a few months till the police made us take it down. We were not rich but we also were not poor, and yet through all of those times of building our own tree forts, making toy guns, playing paintball, there was also the ability to go in and play 8 bit Mario on the NES, living through the incredible tech boom and experiencing many classics like Panzer General and Civil War Generals 2 while not being totally overwhelmed with tech as I would only imagine the current generation of children are.

I would not want to grow up today as I fear I would miss out on a lot of the experiences I had as a child because of how portable technology has become but growing up when I did I feel I got the best of both worlds.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 61
RE: Now that you have lived in the computer age.... - 3/7/2014 9:18:36 AM   
haikura

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

Children had more freedom then. We would do all sorts of things and have adventures here and there, by ourselves, like little explorers. By what I see today that does not happen. Communities were different. People knew one another more. Trusted one another more. Proper manners and behaviour were expected and rewarded.

It was far from perfect but it was more like life. Technology matters much, much less than happiness, whatever age we live in.

i totally agree with that. Nowardays some kids live in front of their computers. they don´t go outside, they have no real life experineces, no real friends. Old days there was not else to do than go outside and find yourself something to do, work or game or hike or whatever. Life was so much healthier and happier too i think.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 62
RE: Now that you have lived in the computer age.... - 3/7/2014 1:23:23 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Yeah I remember riding a bike everywhere, clear across town even. I remember when getting a spider bike or banana seat bike was the most awesome thing ever. Now I hardly see anyone riding bikes unless it's for some charity race event. Every kid I see except for the very very young has their face in some type of new phone, clicking away at those small keypads like they were a typewriter. I wonder how many can program a VCR anymore? lol Everything has become so much plug and play people get mad more often now because a game or something doesn't work and they say I plugged it in right and I have these specs. Gives me a tickle how little they know about what they are using. To think every computer made of the exact specs as a certain program is going to work first time everytime is about the silliest thing I ever heard. Back in my day we had to make our own boot disks for many games. Nothing was certain. That's why I usually can get any game or program to work even today because I came up in the "learning" years of computers and programming and nothing was plug and play.

(in reply to haikura)
Post #: 63
RE: Now that you have lived in the computer age.... - 3/7/2014 2:06:24 PM   
Lecivius

I read though this, and I am saddened.  Kids stuck in front of a PC.  Head in a cell phone.

"kids live in front of their computers. they don´t go outside, they have no real life experiences, no real friends"

Sad.  And I truly blame the adults.  If you have children, you make a conscious decision to share your life, and that means sacrificing your time.  I was not sure I wanted kids, my wife was.  But once we went forward, I knew my life as it was before was over.

Nowadays, parents are not involved.  Not like they used to be.  There are some, to be sure.  But mostly adults plunk their kids in front of a TV so the parents can get time for their lives.  Video games become an activity so the kids are not ‘bothering’ mom & dad.

“In my teens, my friends and I were scouts, and would spend pretty much every weekend camping out in the woods.”

I was never a scout, but I did the same thing.  Even when we lived in San Francisco, we would take bike trips to Big Sur.  When my son came around, I was now a dad.  I had PC’s (386, when 56k ram was more than enough for anyone).  I played games.  But when he would come shuffling in everything got dropped, and he got my full attention.  Growing up, we joined the scouts, just to find something outside to engage in.  Anyone who knows scouts knows it can engage your time.  When we joined, it was him & me.  I didn’t just drop him off & hope someone else would watch him.  Going through scouts I became a scoutmaster  because no one else would step up.  Other scoutmasters talked all the time about Baby Sitters of America.  The boys who stay with it are the boys with dads who are engaged.  The kids of today are a direct representation of the time & effort my generation input.

I grew up before PC’s.  I loved it.  Making my own toys, playing in the dirt, running away to join a carnival :P  When computers became main stream I got into them in a big way.  But I never surrendered to them.  So while I could make it in the pre-PC era, and I may even enjoy parts of it, I am here today.  And a PC is still, just a tool.  Just like a hammer.  Put it down, and go interact with the world.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 64
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Now that you have lived in the computer age.... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI