Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TOAW III 3.4 no response issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> TOAW III 3.4 no response issue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 2/16/2014 12:26:36 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

I have been encountering this problem countless times and it's currently the most serious one after 3XBb resolved the most annoying issues introduced with the latest official 3.4 patch. When I browse submenus - as a rule of thumb it affects reinforcements and replacement menus most often - the screen goes blurred, whitish and the cursor shows an action in progress, but it never gets complete and the game freezes instead. If the turn wasn't saved, it's beyond all recovery then. It happens both on my laptop here and a desktop computer in the same circumstances. I am operation Win 7 X64 here, NVIDIA GeForce 610M graphic card here with 1366 X 768 resolution - different hardware on desktop machine -NIVIDIA GeForce GT 630 with resolution 1680 X 1050 - but the same issue there.

Attachment (1)

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

Post #: 1
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 2/16/2014 1:43:08 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: burroughs

I have been encountering this problem countless times and it's currently the most serious one after 3XBb resolved the most annoying issues introduced with the latest official 3.4 patch. When I browse submenus - as a rule of thumb it affects reinforcements and replacement menus most often - the screen goes blurred, whitish and the cursor shows an action in progress, but it never gets complete and the game freezes instead. If the turn wasn't saved, it's beyond all recovery then. It happens both on my laptop here and a desktop computer in the same circumstances. I am operation Win 7 X64 here, NVIDIA GeForce 610M graphic card here with 1366 X 768 resolution - different hardware on desktop machine -NIVIDIA GeForce GT 630 with resolution 1680 X 1050 - but the same issue there.

Next time this happens check and see if your hard drive light is on solid. That misty view is what Win 7 does when the drive is busy and you try to do another task before it can complete the last one. The solution is to be patient and wait for the drive to finish up. I don't know why this happens but it seems to be a consequence of the huge drives available these days.

(in reply to Sensei.Tokugawa)
Post #: 2
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 2/16/2014 3:12:43 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Next time this happens check and see if your hard drive light is on solid. That misty view is what Win 7 does when the drive is busy and you try to do another task before it can complete the last one. The solution is to be patient and wait for the drive to finish up. I don't know why this happens but it seems to be a consequence of the huge drives available these days.

A 'workaround' which I tested is to install it on an SD card; that prevents the 'misty morning' issue you described.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 2/16/2014 3:19:25 PM   
Lobster

Wouldn't hurt to run an anti malware utility to see if there isn't something hogging resources. You don't say how much memory you have on either machine. If your machine has to run some virtual memory it takes time to swap that in and out of the hard drive. The game isn't really a heavy vid card user like Call of Duty or other FPS games so that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe something running in the background is taking up memory, that's why the anti malware. Otherwise like Mr. Lemay says, wait and see what happens before you start pushing keys.

Post #: 4
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 2/17/2014 6:13:26 PM   
Telumar

I might add that this happens on my machine, too. Usually when scrolling with the mouse wheel in inventory/replacements, reinforcements and event list. Win7 64x, AMD Athlon 64 2x 2.2GHz, nForce 630a (on board), 4 GB RAM, DirectX 11 installed, but graphics only support 9.0c.

I know of at least one of my opponents who has this issue, too.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 2/21/2014 8:16:06 AM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

Thanks for all the feedback, gentlemen, but I am still having some mixed feeling about the phenomenon itself and its explanations and moreover the issue is recurring once in a while - outwaiting that so far has yielded no results whatsoever. I'll perhaps try to update the drivers, but had experienced in the past that with older games some older versions used to work better - or that was only a coincidence and / or my impression. Having said that - even older games with all those new addons may not be their old selves so ... I'll try the drivers update first indeed. Would't blame malware as such, I am pretty much on my guard and if that way I haven't located anything I still may be unable to do that - as a matter of fact I happen to have some things going on in the background deliberately, but check the sofware capacities consumption and most of the time I do that there seems to be a healthy surplus.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 6
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/3/2014 8:14:57 PM   
JSinx

I was having a similar issue as well. I would get a "not responding" from windows every time I resolved combat. I could hear the combat resolving, but the cursor would go busy
and the screen went white if I clicked on anything.

Same as all the others in this thread having a issue Ive got Win 7 64x and Nvidia card

Anyway, what worked for me was to set the compatibility on the exe (Opart3.exe). I went with admin rights and xp compatible. That was enough for me, your results may vary or may be a separate issue all together. It sure sounds similar though. If that doesn't work you can go a little further and try disabling visual themes, desktop comp, and display scaling on the same tab. Shouldnt have to go that far though.

To me it sounds like 3.4 might have reset some compatibility settings that were in before *shrug*.

Good luck

Post #: 7
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/5/2014 3:54:33 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: JBSpook

I was having a similar issue as well. I would get a "not responding" from windows every time I resolved combat. I could hear the combat resolving, but the cursor would go busy
and the screen went white if I clicked on anything.

Same as all the others in this thread having a issue Ive got Win 7 64x and Nvidia card

Anyway, what worked for me was to set the compatibility on the exe (Opart3.exe). I went with admin rights and xp compatible. That was enough for me, your results may vary or may be a separate issue all together. It sure sounds similar though. If that doesn't work you can go a little further and try disabling visual themes, desktop comp, and display scaling on the same tab. Shouldnt have to go that far though.

To me it sounds like 3.4 might have reset some compatibility settings that were in before *shrug*.

Good luck

Interesting. I never encountered the issues you desribed. However, turning off Aero-Designs and/or XP compatibility didn't help against the 'freezes on fast scroll' issue. And there is another issue. Each time i open the game the menu is messed up (the windows style menu where you can adjust language settings and sound). If i resize the window or move it, the menu re-appears. I didn't have that issue under xp.
It seems there is a combination of 'elements' that produces errors with the GUI engine. Windows 7 64bit and Nvidia graphic drivers. But i think there is still too much FOW to track the issue down.

(in reply to JSinx)
Post #: 8
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 1:30:35 PM   
JSinx

Sorry to hear that didn't work...worth a shot

Here's hoping 3.5 comes soon and smooths out some ruffles.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 9
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 1:52:22 PM   
Curtis Lemay

People need to understand that the windows message about not responding doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong. It can mean that, but what it usually means is that the program is busy with a section of code that doesn't respond to interrupt requests. The Inter-turn calculations and the Combat Execution calculations are two instances of that. If you try to interrupt the program during those operations, you'll get that message - even when everything is working properly. In that case, the solution is to wait until the program is finished with what it is doing.

Furthermore, if you minimize the screen while those operations are in progress, then when you un-minimize it the program needs to refresh the screen - something it can't do until those operations finish. Until that time, the screen will be white. That's how you get the white-screen. I expect that most of what is described on this thread are issues caused by user impatience.

(in reply to JSinx)
Post #: 10
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 2:12:08 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

With all due respect - I love the logic of claims such as "if the engine of your car doesn't start that does not necessarily mean that there is something wrong with that". Perhaps it was the wrong day to use it or if I only wasn't that impatient to dare using that and walked instead ... Yes, that would be a solution ... kind of, in a way. Anyway, been there, done that, neither worked - once it goes whitish, it's screwed beyond recovery and the turn is a toast, making me have to start from the last save and that is why I save a lot. Luckily it doesn't generate a reload warning message as it seems.

Again - thanks for all the feedback. By the way, Mr. Lemay - am I the only one having an impression you sound ... corporate? On the other hand I owe you a credit for solving my problem with the full CFNA 1940 - 43 campaign as a matter of fact. Too bad it paved the way for a fabulous disaster with me holding onto Alexandria and the Nile delta by the skin of our teeth, but that's another story.

Post #: 11
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 4:34:17 PM   
Lobster

But what Mr. Lemay says is true. It's not something that happens only with TOAW. If I'm using Paint Shop Pro and I have it on auto save then I get the 'no response' message if I try and do something while it is auto saving, especially with a large file. What is most important is to walk away if it is giving a 'no response' message. Don't minimize the screen. Leave it alone. If, after 15 minutes, it still gives that message then I would even give it a half hour just to be sure. You've probably already done that, eh?

If it's still not resolved then it is probably a problem with your machine. That would not be a TOAW problem. If it were everyone would have the same problem. It's like you say. If your car won't start but Fred's will then how can you say all cars are broken? That would be your machine. Because there are almost an infinite number of PC builds it is virtually impossible for any programer to cover every possible PC build.

BTW, I have Window$7 and an Nvidia card too on a home built machine. I don't get that problem with any of the available builds. My laptop has Window$8.1 and still not a problem. My wife's laptop has Window$7. No problem. The older home built machine I run with Window$ Vista and an Nvidia card, no problem. Like I said, it's probably machine specific. Maybe once 3.5 is done and released it will take care of the problem.

Post #: 12
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 5:39:37 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

Corporate discourse again, my favourite style; the "problem" is not with the game , but with my PC as "they differ". Pardon my sarcasm, but I guess I have already known that and just asked here for some clues so as to delinate potential choke points and key locations where to check for potential solutions and what kind of test to run in order to see what's up and wheter it can be helped. I am happy that people there apparently tend to lead a more relaxed lifestyle, but I am afraid I don't have time to wait for the software I paid for feels like working finally. The only explanation to this ridicule here is the way I understand it - that I had asked the community for help and perhaps I should have turned to manufacturer if I wanted more responsibility and professionalism. Having said that, I still need to underline that I received several replies with quite formative content, I had tried that already before or I tried that afterwards, it didn't work, I thanked, but being taught obvious things has always been a sure way to provoke me into discursive confrontation. The argument with the wife is the kind of thinking that if mine has also not got any problems with TOAW III then we may have the same wife. Just skirmishing here, no hard feelings.

Anyway, I realized I had posted in the TOAW III support section so it that is supposed to represent a formal way to handle such issues, I'd say it's fair enough to demand and optional payment option while buying instead of charging me beforehand if I am to find out later on that the software I bought gives me trouble and in return I recieve a crash course in obviousness - a cheeky evasive manoeuvre.

< Message edited by burroughs -- 3/7/2014 7:20:03 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 13
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 6:13:06 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

People need to understand that the windows message about not responding doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong. It can mean that, but what it usually means is that the program is busy with a section of code that doesn't respond to interrupt requests. The Inter-turn calculations and the Combat Execution calculations are two instances of that. If you try to interrupt the program during those operations, you'll get that message - even when everything is working properly. In that case, the solution is to wait until the program is finished with what it is doing.

Furthermore, if you minimize the screen while those operations are in progress, then when you un-minimize it the program needs to refresh the screen - something it can't do until those operations finish. Until that time, the screen will be white. That's how you get the white-screen. I expect that most of what is described on this thread are issues caused by user impatience.

Sorry Bob, but user impatience isn't the case here. The 'behaviour' you describe does exist and i experienced it with TOAW, too. However, what people complain here in the thread is a different kind of freeze. What i had, and others too, is a permanent freeze of the programm. Believe me, i waited. I went away from the PC. It never came back. And that was not only on one occasion.

This however doesn't mean the problem is with TOAW. It still can be a driver issue with Win7 machines and Nvidia cards. Now..we do not have source code for Nvidia drivers. But we have for TOAW.

Post #: 14
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 6:29:32 PM   
Lobster

quote:

Corporate discourse again, my favourite style; the "problem" is not with the game , but with my PC as "they differ". Pardon my sarcasm, but I guess I have already known that and just asked here for some clues so as to delinate potential choke points and key locations where to check for potential solutions and what kind of test to run in order to see what's up and wheter it can be helped. I am happy that people there apparently tend to lead a more relaxed lifestyle, but I am afraid I don't have time to wait for the software I paid for feels like working finally. The only explanation to this ridicule here is the way I understand it - that I had asked the community for help and perhaps I should have turned to manufacturer if I wanted more responsibility and professionalism. Having said that, I still need to underline that I received several replies with quite formative content, I had tried that already before or I tried that afterwards, it didn't work, I thanked, but being taught obvious things has always been a sure way to provoke me into discursive confrontation. The argument with the wife is the kind of thinking that if mine has also not got any problems with TOAW III then we may have the same wife. Anyway, just skirmishing here, no hard feelings.

Anyway, I realized I had posted in the TOAW III support section so it that is supposed to represent a formal way to handle such issues, I'd say it's fair enought to demand and optional payment option while buying instead of charging me beforehand if I am to find out later on that the software I bought gives me trouble and in return I recieve a crash course in obviousness - a cheeky evasive manoeuvre.

No hard feelings. I'm not in any way employed nor volunteer for or to Matrix so no corporate discourse at all obviously. And since no one here knows exactly what you do or don't know they try to be as verbose as possible to try and cover all the angles. In other words, trying to be helpful.

Now, about the same wife. Probably not. But it could happen. I'll ask when mine gets home. Hopefully if it is the same wife she cooks better for you than she does for me.

Now back to the problem with your machine. Oh, and sorry if I'm trying to help:

EzineArticles - Expert Authors Sharing Their Best Original Articles
Home » Computers and Technology » Software
A. Honey

Windows 7 Not Responding - Fix Windows 7 If It Not Responding and Constantly Freezing

By A. Honey

When a program does not respond, Windows 7 adds two extra words "(Not Responding)" in the title bar of it. Here are some system maintenance tricks to if your Windows 7 is not responding quickly:

1. Upgrade Hardware
2. Clean Hard Disk
3. Repair Corrupt System Files
4. Update your Drivers
5. Defrag Windows Registry
6. Defrag Disk Drives
7. Configure Windows Scenario Execution Level
8. Run Malware Scanner

Upgrade Hardware

If your computer does not fulfil minimum system requirements Windows 7 may not respond quickly. It is always recommended to upgrade hardware if required..

Clean Hard Disk

Hard disk cleaning is a crucial thing. It involves cleaning of temporary files, cache and duplicate files. Windows 7 does not respond appropriately when the disk is full of junk files. Clean your hard disk to resolve the issue.

1. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk CleanUp.
2. Select a disk drive.
3. Click OK.

Repair Corrupt System Files

Corruption in the system files may cause Windows 7 to freeze up. To restore corrupted system files to their original state, use the System File Checker tool. What you need is Windows 7 DVD ROM.

1. Insert Microsoft Windows 7 installation DVD ROM.
2. Press Windows Key + R.
3. Type SFC /ScanNow
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Update your Drivers

Outdated or malfunctioning driver may be causing Windows 7 to not respond properly. The first thing you should do is to update all your drivers (including, graphics, sound and modem drivers). Afterward, make sure that no driver is marked with exclamation mark in the Device Manager. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start.
2. Type Device Manager in the Search box.
3. Locate it from the Search Results.
4. Expand all the devices and make sure there's no any device marked with exclamation mark. If there is any, uninstall it to reinstall the updated version from manufacturer website.

Defrag Windows Registry

System Registry is the database containing all the information about your computer, operating system, software, hardware, user profile and user settings. It's the place where sensitive data is stored by your operating system.

Fragmentation in the Registry may result in freezing of Windows 7. Defrag system Registry using Registry defragmentation software.

Defrag Disk Drives

Fragmentation in the hard disk drive may cause Windows 7 to freeze or not respond properly. There is a tool called Disk Defragmenter already installed in your operating system that defragments the hard disk and thereby improves system performance.

1. Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Defragmenter.
2. Select all the disks for defragmenting.
3. Click Defragment disks button to start this process.

Configure Windows Scenario Execution Level

Change Group Policy Editor settings and configure Windows scenario execution level. It shall fix Windows 7 response time.

1. Click Start.
2. Type GPEDIT.MSC in the Search box.
3. Press ENTER.
4. Locate following items:
Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Systems | Troubleshooting and Diagnostics | Windows Boot Performance Diagnostics
5. On the right side panel, you'll find Configure Scenario Execution Level. Right-click it, select Properties.
6. Select Enabled option.
7. Select Detection and troubleshooting only option.
8. Click Apply | OK.

Run Malware Scanner

Malware involves viruses, spyware and adware which cause some sort of speed issues. To fix Windows 7 run a malware scanner and remove malicious files, if any.

1. Download a Malware Scanner.
2. Start full scan.
3. Remove all infected files.

The above guidelines allow you to take measures if your Windows 7 is Not Responding and keep your Windows properly maintained. Prevention is the best cure.

If you need a complete Registry cleaning solution and do not have time to follow all the tips you can try this globally recognized software utility available here: Fix Windows-7 Response.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=A._Honey

Post #: 15
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 6:38:57 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

Yeah, I understand, I really do, but look - my Windows is NOT unresponsive and/ or constantly freezing- it's only when I am browsing the two respective submenus in the TOAW III interface. Actually,I only learnt how it behaves when freezing when I had posted here - and that's how we're backtracking to my original post. That way I guess we're making a regress and not a progress. Would you mind not spamming my thread with MS propaganda? Unless "Honey" is your wife you're promoting. That even sounds wifey - honey. No wonder she hasn't got time to improve her cooking skills.

< Message edited by burroughs -- 3/7/2014 7:40:17 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 16
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 7:03:46 PM   
Lobster

Ah, I understand now. You are a troll and really have no problem. Otherwise you wouldn't have a problem with people helping you.

BTW, the article I posted was not because every program was not responding. It was if any program was not responding. But seeing that you didn't bother to read any of it I would have to assume that you really don't care to fix it, just to cry and whine. Or troll, which ever. And then to top it off you insult people who honestly try and give you help. Again, standard troll procedure.

I'll check some more and see what I can find you help you out with your problem and the same problem others are having.

Don't thank me. Oh, and since you do have Windows 7 you'll probably be seeing more MS Windows information. Maybe from people with names similar to Honey.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/7/2014 8:05:30 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 7:51:19 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

With all due respect - I love the logic of claims such as "if the engine of your car doesn't start that does not necessarily mean that there is something wrong with that". Perhaps it was the wrong day to use it or if I only wasn't that impatient to dare using that and walked instead ... Yes, that would be a solution ... kind of, in a way. Anyway, been there, done that, neither worked - once it goes whitish, it's screwed beyond recovery and the turn is a toast, making me have to start from the last save and that is why I save a lot. Luckily it doesn't generate a reload warning message as it seems.

Then you were aware that the Windows "not responding" message doesn't necessarily indicate a problem? That surprises me, considering the title of the thread. Furthermore, you can assure me that no one else reading this thread has that misconception? You weren't the only one to post a problem here.

Try to understand that part of the troubleshooting procedure is always to eliminate user error first. That usually handles the majority of problems - especially if the user is new to the game. And you would be amazed at the errors users make. Another part of the procedure is to eliminate general Windows problems as well. And what you describe is definitely an issue with Win7 itself. You can and will get exactly what you describe with other programs.

quote:

By the way, Mr. Lemay - am I the only one having an impression you sound ... corporate?

I don't know what that means. If I seem to be cavalier about your problem that's because I've heard the "no response" complaint for about 15 years now and the answer has almost always been that the user isn't waiting long enough. And you have yet to supply any info that would dispel that. What was the exact procedure you used to get the problem to occur? When it occurs, how long have you waited for it to resolve? Did you check if your hard disk light was on?

Understand that we can't see your computer or what you've done. If you want help you'll have to help us.

"if the engine of your car doesn't start that does not necessarily mean that there is something wrong with that" - is actually true, if the driver had her transmission out of Park.

Post #: 18
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 8:16:52 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

Nay, I am not a troll. I just differentiate helping from what people think is helping - "helping" that is - and I am not dead serious about that. I am also not fixed on assigning people to stiff categories, it narrows the possibilities and hampers thinking as some say. Labelling people openly is already an abuse, being baptized a "troll" a deliberate insult as I don't read fantasy crap. Once I was a member of the team in a team game nobody wanted to report when it was over - no-one but me. Did that mean there wasn't a game? And yes, I am not really serious keen on solving the issue here as I can see too much word juggling by far. Sticking to demagogy is not a good sign so the prospect is quite bleak I'd say. Since Telumar has to my best understanding corroborated the existence of the issue I think ontologically and epistemologically it is enough. The next thing will be that perhaps my command of English is not good enough to grasp all the good advice since I really does not have the slightest idea what does tat mean that " ... the Windows "not responding" message doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. ..." And the stop signs does not necessarily mean that you have to stop or what? I thought that I described the issue in quite a detailed manner. It would also be good to assume that I may have the slightest idea what I am aiming at and checked such basic stuff as the machine load, processes in the background and so on - and that is why I did not described that in length. I just assume somebody else is not stupid - but may be. Wise men see the wise around, fools can see only other fools.

And Lobster, my friend, if you were as good at reading as I am , you would perhaps have noticed that Telumar wrote about at least one more guy who is also experiencing that so with up to apparently seven people participating in this discussion over 50 % is affected by the issue recurrence. Am I also blame some vague misconception for that, Mr. Lemay?

< Message edited by burroughs -- 3/7/2014 9:23:35 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/7/2014 9:44:28 PM   
Lobster

In fact no one said anyone did not have this problem other than you. I said I had run across the issue myself. Even with different programs. With TOAW I've run across it when loading large scenarios. I've seen the issue discussed in various forums at great length by many different people. It does exist. Why else would A. Honey have a laundry list of things to do to resolve the issue? What I find hardest to understand is why you would treat people who try to help you with such disrespect? Might as well have just told you to go to hell and help yourself. Same response.

So, you obviously don't want anyone's help with anything because no one is as intelligent as you. Problem solved. Glad to be of assistance.

Lobster out.

Post #: 20
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/8/2014 1:14:41 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

...since I really does not have the slightest idea what does tat mean that " ... the Windows "not responding" message doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. ..." And the stop signs does not necessarily mean that you have to stop or what?

If you dial a phone number and get a busy signal do you assume that the phone system is malfunctioning? Because that is really what the message means. It means that the program is busy doing something and can't respond to your interrupt request. And two examples of this for TOAW are the interturn calculations and combat execution. If you try to get TOAW to respond while those actions are going on, you will get that message. For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, if not burroughs, I hope that is understood.

quote:

I thought that I described the issue in quite a detailed manner.

You didn't. I can't reproduce the problem and I don't know just what you did that might have caused it, or what your computer may have been doing when it happened.

quote:

It would also be good to assume that I may have the slightest idea what I am aiming at and checked such basic stuff as the machine load, processes in the background and so on - and that is why I did not described that in length. I just assume somebody else is not stupid - but may be. Wise men see the wise around, fools can see only other fools.

Yet you make statements like the one at the top that seem to indicate that you're clueless. Computers are very complicated machines. It's easy to misunderstand or overlook something.

quote:

And Lobster, my friend, if you were as good at reading as I am , you would perhaps have noticed that Telumar wrote about at least one more guy who is also experiencing that so with up to apparently seven people participating in this discussion over 50 % is affected by the issue recurrence. Am I also blame some vague misconception for that, Mr. Lemay?

My comments apply to Stefan as well. We don't know if what he is experiencing is due entirely to Win7. We do know that Win7 has exactly these sorts of issues with many programs other than TOAW. For that reason, it is not surprising that more than one user may be reporting a similar issue - it may still have nothing to do with TOAW.

Post #: 21
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/8/2014 2:02:55 AM   
Lobster

If you don't believe Mr. Lemay when he says this may be a Windows problem look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?qid=103454&query=program+not+responding&x=4&y=11&mode=a&spid=global&ast=28&ast=29&catalog=LCID%3D1033

You may even find a solution if you look long enough.

Post #: 22
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/12/2014 3:44:12 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

Dear Mr. Lemay, - can You start the game, using its dedicated .exe file from the main game directory - note that I am trying to describe the procedure in a detailed manner so as not to omit anything - and do that after either your desktop PC or laptop has been turned on, then start any scenario by clicking that in the game scenario menu, then open either the scenario briefing or replacements available or reinforcements - either expected or available - and start scrolling that - just scroll up or down, ok? - I don't think it can be done with any combat resolution going on at the same time - that's when I get the issue. and let me repeat - I don't experience any other software on my machines giving me similar issue - just TOAW III - and yes, it's a problem for me, but I don't blame TOAW III solely - all I was asking is a guidance and some help not patronizing, thanks in advance - but the way you have put that I am assuming that the fact we are all discussing here is also not due to TOAW III. That's funny since I thought it's a dedicated forum space and we have not dropped in here by mere coincidence bar Mr. Lemay - me just being clueless.

Have I ever refused to provide any additional data that may be of any essence here, but have escaped me either because I am clueless or don't realize computers are complicated machines?

< Message edited by burroughs -- 3/12/2014 4:46:03 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 23
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/12/2014 5:31:41 PM   
Lobster

First, I don't work for nor with Matrix. But a little logic should tell you the following.

If the issues with the game freezing due to a 'program not responding' issue happens only with
This:
quote:

currently the most serious one after 3XBb

the issue will not be resolved by Matrix. This is not a Matrix product and Matrix does not support it.

If the issues with the game freezes due to a 'program not responding' issue happens with an official Matrix build then I seriously doubt anything will be done. Because, according to last report, 3.5 is near completion. It's not logical to put effort into 3.4 when 3.5 may take care of the issue.

If the problem persists after 3.5 is completed then it helps the bug hunter to know exactly what your system is. Maybe even a DX dump. But as I said, I seriously doubt any effort will go into fixing a bug in 3.4 when the same bug may show up in 3.5 to be fixed.

Post #: 24
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/12/2014 6:01:25 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

Thanks Lobster, but again - I do and did realize what you're saying about 3XBb, it's quite obvious - but it had existed before. The "no response" issue. I am following the patch discussion, but so far it's just a prospect so I am working with what we have.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 25
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/12/2014 7:10:00 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

...and start scrolling that - just scroll up or down, ok? - I don't think it can be done with any combat resolution going on at the same time - that's when I get the issue.

How are you scrolling? Are you using the mouse wheel? Are you using the up and down buttons? Are you right-clicking (by page) or left-clicking (by line)? Are you holding the by-page button down continuously?

quote:

..and let me repeat - I don't experience any other software on my machines giving me similar issue - just TOAW III

Be patient. You probably will eventually. Plenty of others have. It's a fixture of Win 7.

quote:

Have I ever refused to provide any additional data that may be of any essence here, ...

I'll ask again: Is your hard drive light on solid while the problem is occurring? When the problem occurs, how long have you waited for it to resolve itself?

Post #: 26
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 3/12/2014 7:45:32 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

With my right hand - or left? Blinking or not? Specify please.

Post #: 27
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 7/18/2014 4:24:25 PM   
letarsier059

I experiences the very same problem than Burroughs, and tried the solution proposed by JBSpook : compatibility mode set on XPsp2 and it worked!

I'll ask again: Is your hard drive light on solid while the problem is occurring? When the problem occurs, how long have you waited for it to resolve itself?

My game is located on an internal hd dedicated to my games exclusively. And toaowIII is the only one displaying this kind of problem.

It occured during long movements (trains or sea convoys) or battles, and the game was frozen during 5-15 secs, depends ... Oh, and the battle log was not displayed, too.

How are you scrolling? Are you using the mouse wheel? Are you using the up and down buttons?

Only the mouse

Hope my 2 cents helped a bit ...

Post #: 28
RE: TOAW III 3.4 no response issue - 7/19/2014 12:31:00 AM   
SMK-at-work

I get a "freeze" during long movements by sea and rail of multiple units - I just wait & they have always managed to find the right destination. Win 7 comes up with a message "TOAW is not responding", but I've never had it ACTUALLY freeze permanently on me yet.

(in reply to letarsier059)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> TOAW III 3.4 no response issue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI