Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Graphics Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Graphics Help Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 6:00:16 AM   
Dabrion

Warhunter: Looks good!
Warspite1: The dominion tag is the only thing that seems to be excluded from the modding.

One more thing: the symbol interior colour for non-elite british units is still dark blue, that should be a olive/brownish hue (see MECH/MOT first row of the AiF coutners).

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 61
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 6:25:49 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

Warhunter: Looks good!
Warspite1: The dominion tag is the only thing that seems to be excluded from the modding.

One more thing: the symbol interior colour for non-elite british units is still dark blue, that should be a olive/brownish hue (see MECH/MOT first row of the AiF coutners).

Now I see what the second die in your avatar is telling! Neutral! Didn't know they made AD&D alignment dice for the indecisive. Cool.
So fate decided it is neutral-evil for you, and this is the way you are telling/warning us? Given your posts on rules discussions I would have said you would be more inclined to the side of law. And in this thread the evil is not really visible, more neutral.

Still playing AD&D? For me it was 24 years ago. I am waiting for my kids to get a bit older to try a out a session with them, although being a GM will be the first time, so I don't know if that will be a success..

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 62
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 7:12:12 AM   
Dabrion

We settled for Paizo's Pathfinder some years ago and play an old Greyhawk campaign (Age of Worms), but it's more like one session in two month..

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 63
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 7:23:38 AM   
Ichirou989

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Looks good - why not just use white for the RSA lettering on the right-hand side?

First, I agree as well that this khaki looks very good.

As for the lettering, that is a problem I brought up before; nowhere in any of the CSV files do I see any way of changing the different shades of the lettering. Both South Africa and Canada to a lesser degree, don't show up too hot. At this point I'm beginning to think that the side lettering color is hard coded somehow, which would be a pity.

On the other hand, the original counters didn't have that lettering, and it is a bit redundant since the NATO symbol backgrounds was the chief way of denoting nationality within a major power. Anyway, if anyone manages to come across how to change the color of those nation abbreviations, please let us know. Now I'm going to see about changing the CW units to that new shade and see how it looks.

A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 64
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 8:21:44 AM   
WarHunter

Before i login to my pillow. Here is some stuff for you all to talk about.

Found the spot to change the color of RSA. Should be the same for AUS, CAN and IND. Used $00091f33 for the change in color for RSA. It was just a test color. As i was checking all color positions.

What colors to use? White is really not a good color for me. You all can hash it out. be back in a few hours.

Screenshot tells all.

Thanks for the help guys!

Attachment (1)

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 65
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 12:03:39 PM   
AxelNL

Looks good to me. These counters are so colourfull that I bit of plain dark text on the right gives rest to the eyes. Loosing the orange colour in the nato symbol is perhaps a bit of a shame. Does that happen automatically? There are others where it seems not linked.

Edit: I misunderstood. By changing the interior colour of the NATO symbol you managed to change the colour of the three letters as well. But Indians have green as interior colour and red for the letters??? That is probably hard-coded?
This relationship does not seem to be existing with the non CW-nation Territorials, however.
Perhaps experimenting with the Indians by changing the red border into black could give more insight? (the red border does not look good anyhow. I think my glasses refract the red different than the green when looking a bit sideways - causing overlap/aliasing).

If we can't re-engineer this I would hesitate. A colored three letter code means it is one of the CW nations. Black means from a colony. If we give RSA a black interior it is not corresponding to this rule anymore. Perhaps a darker orange could help in this respect, but than we come probably too close to the red of the border. As any CW nation other than the UK have all red borders we should perhaps respect that (so forget about changing the Indians).
Hmm - I think I would leave the orange at this moment. For me the colour is a automatic link to RSA as Afrikaners speak a Dutch offbreed and orange is our national colour (who watched the Sotchi speedskating?). But this is probably different for others. Perhaps purple?

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/7/2014 6:02:33 PM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 66
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 12:06:37 PM   
AxelNL

Deleted - see edit above

Edit: do the normal inf CW divs have the right interior colour? Can't tell from Dabrion's photo.

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/7/2014 5:46:25 PM >

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 67
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 2:14:59 PM   
YellowNo5

Looking great!

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 68
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 5:50:56 PM   
Ichirou989

A new discovery, interesting. I had tried changing the background color on the NZL units from blue to aqua, but it had no effect on the letters to the right, they stayed white. So maybe for some countries it is hard coded? I feel like we're missing something here. In any case, for me I'll be leaving the colors as they are for the NATO symbol backgrounds as I am quite used to each color background and who it represents at a glance.

Also, here's an example of the planes in the new color:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 69
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 6:05:19 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Looks good to me. These counters are so colourfull that I bit of plain dark text on the right gives rest to the eyes. Loosing the orange colour in the nato symbol is perhaps a bit of a shame. Does that happen automatically? There are others where it seems not linked.

Edit: I misunderstood. By changing the interior colour of the NATO symbol you managed to change the colour of the three letters as well. But Indians have green as interior colour and red for the letters??? That is probably hard-coded?
This relationship does not seem to be existing with the non CW-nation Territorials, however.
Perhaps experimenting with the Indians by changing the red border into black could give more insight? (the red border does not look good anyhow. I think my glasses refract the red different than the green when looking a bit sideways - causing overlap/aliasing).

If we can't re-engineer this I would hesitate. A colored three letter code means it is one of the CW nations. Black means from a colony. If we give RSA a black interior it is not corresponding to this rule anymore. Perhaps a darker orange could help in this respect, but than we come probably too close to the red of the border. As any CW nation other than the UK have all red borders we should perhaps respect that (so forget about changing the Indians).
Hmm - I think I would leave the orange at this moment. For me the colour is a automatic link to RSA as Afrikaners speak a Dutch offbreed and orange is our national colour (who watched the Sotchi speedskating?). But this is probably different for others. Perhaps purple?

This post made me smile.
I went to bed thinking about that exact same thing. So needless to say this is what i found.

Went to this site for example of Khaki in Flames. https://sites.google.com/site/frenchwifpage/home/world-in-flames-final-edition/counter-lists/gallery-of-countersheets/cs43-kif-history
Nice resource for WiF.

Trying to get the same color schemes as KiF has led me to a simple conclusion. Nothing is quite what it seems. Though there are some guidelines that can be used.

Canada: Background color of military symbol governs what color the national abbreviation is.
India: Outline of military symbol governs what color national abbreviation is.
Changing national abbreviation color on land units will change color on naval and air units.

To get Canada to look like it does,(in the screen shot), i used the entire color palette of New Zealand. It was just a test to get the blue abbreviation. Which worked. Because The abbreviation changed color to blue, not to white. Twilight zone gets props for that.

How close we can get to what KiF the counter set is dependent on who you are. I can make a public download as a basic set. We can come up with agreed colors for MWiF. It will never be an exact copy of KiF for the boardame.

I think/feel an indivual touch would be better.
I can work with indivuals, colorblind or not to customize the look you want. No need for a 1 size fits all. Its just a matter of time and patience.

This is my current "look". Its not done without some help from you all out there.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 70
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 7:11:40 PM   
Guzz

Loving the khaki look for the CW.
Great work.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 71
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 8:04:34 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

quote:

This post made me smile.
I went to bed thinking about that exact same thing. So needless to say this is what i found.

Went to this site for example of Khaki in Flames. https://sites.google.com/site/frenchwifpage/home/world-in-flames-final-edition/counter-lists/gallery-of-countersheets/cs43-kif-history
Nice resource for WiF.

Trying to get the same color schemes as KiF has led me to a simple conclusion. Nothing is quite what it seems. Though there are some guidelines that can be used.

Canada: Background color of military symbol governs what color the national abbreviation is.
India: Outline of military symbol governs what color national abbreviation is.
Changing national abbreviation color on land units will change color on naval and air units.

To get Canada to look like it does,(in the screen shot), i used the entire color palette of New Zealand. It was just a test to get the blue abbreviation. Which worked. Because The abbreviation changed color to blue, not to white. Twilight zone gets props for that.

How close we can get to what KiF the counter set is dependent on who you are. I can make a public download as a basic set. We can come up with agreed colors for MWiF. It will never be an exact copy of KiF for the boardame.

I think/feel an indivual touch would be better.
I can work with indivuals, colorblind or not to customize the look you want. No need for a 1 size fits all. Its just a matter of time and patience.

This is my current "look". Its not done without some help from you all out there.

They look excellent. Did you work on the bmp's as well, or did they change automatically? If so - how bad is the anti-aliasing?

I'll be working on that medal you have earned.

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/7/2014 9:07:29 PM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 72
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 8:44:50 PM   
AxelNL

Ichirou989 - I think you earned that medal as well.

But first the files! Who will be first?

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 73
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 9:05:09 PM   
AxelNL

Hmmm.... As we are talking about not copying KiF exactly....(and I think we have a better background colour!)

The normal CW div's have an interior colour which reminds me of the background colour of France. Do we really want to have that connotation? Should we replace that with the original background colour of KiF - so that we do not leave that out entirely?

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 74
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 10:18:04 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

Hmmm.... As we are talking about not copying KiF exactly....(and I think we have a better background colour!)
The normal CW div's have an interior colour which reminds me of the background colour of France. Do we really want to have that connotation? Should we replace that with the original background colour of KiF - so that we do not leave that out entirely?

Purple!

The answer to all sickly looking colors. Playing around with color alchemy should reveal some colors to use. Screen shots will be posted later for approval, praise and harsh criticism.

Medals are nice, beer is more satisfying. Sharing beer is even better. Recommend a beer and I'll go find it as an aquatic reward. A ramen egg burger and fries to go with it. Tonight, Mike's hard lemonade will do.

Thanks to Dabrion and Ichirou989, for freeing my mind. AxeINL for the path and reward.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 75
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 10:34:37 PM   
Orm

Cheers, WarHunter.

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 76
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 10:49:02 PM   
paulderynck

Shhh, it's a secret, but this is the best IPA in the world...

http://www.mt-begbie.com/nasty.htm

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 77
RE: Graphics Help - 3/7/2014 11:07:34 PM   
bo

Cheers warhunter Cannot let Orm get one up on me.

King of beers hmm, looks like the Queen of beers too. Does your beer look this good?

Bo

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bo -- 3/8/2014 12:11:38 AM >

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 78
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 2:36:38 AM   
YellowNo5

Cheers!

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 79
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 2:49:16 AM   
WarHunter

Great Beer selections!
Bo, Budweiser i can grab anywhere. The women appear after i open it. right right?

Nasty Habit IPA, No wonder its the best beer. I have to travel to Canada for it. I'll bring a tent and camp in your backyard paulderynck.

Orm, Gonna have to look around and see if Duvel is near where i get spirits.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 80
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 2:50:09 AM   
WarHunter

Belgium looks to have many good beers!

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 81
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 2:54:03 AM   
WarHunter

3 screen shots for what is done for tonight. Look them over and comment as you wish. Worked on the Bitmaps and files. If you see anything or want something changed just ask. I do requests.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 82
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 2:54:53 AM   
WarHunter

For the alternate view of counters.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 83
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 2:56:28 AM   
WarHunter

Little bit of the map look and sneaky wine tasting Italians.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 84
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 5:17:31 AM   
AxelNL

The artillery Nato box is still that pale French blue. Shouldn't that also become purple? Or is that a standard colour for that type, as the Italian has the same colour?

I notice a green border effect of the counter itself on the screenshot. On purpose?

-------

Your remark on the path gave me inspiriration. Pathfinder is actually not a bad alias. If I get banned you'll find me under that new name. Only pity is that there is no Avatar counter for that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinder_(RAF)

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/8/2014 6:43:02 AM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 85
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 9:17:55 AM   
Orm

How does this compare to the USSR forces?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 86
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 9:21:01 AM   
Orm

quote:

Your remark on the path gave me inspiriration. Pathfinder is actually not a bad alias. If I get banned you'll find me under that new name. Only pity is that there is no Avatar counter for that.

Maybe you, or someone else, could create a MWIF Pathfinder counter?

Pathfinder is a great alias. Most likely already used.

You are allowed to change your alias.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 87
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 10:38:24 AM   
Ichirou989

I see that great things have gone on since I was last on. Great job on the counters WarHunter!

AxeINL - The division background color for the CW major power listing is set the same as the French division colors. I think they might have been the same in Mech in Flames as well; I do seem to remember them being a light blue like that. Easily changed though, at least for the regular divisions. However it seems to have no effect on the background of the artillery, anti-tank, or AA divisions. Or on any of the paratroopers for that matter. As WarHunter has discovered, there are some strange inconsistencies with the way some of the colors work in the CSV files. Probably only Steve could truly illuminate this, but that's a question for another day when he doesn't have such a large pile on his plate.

At least with the info we have discovered here we are now able to largely change the counter colors in the game to what we may prefer. I'm already thinking of an alternate for the Italians as well as maybe an olive drab for the US.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I've suddenly gotten very thirsty for a nice cold beer!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 88
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 2:19:53 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Little bit of the map look and sneaky wine tasting Italians.

Betatest mode on: Warhunter - to be sure, weather is storm? I see units OOS because of that?

Edit: type and better sentence

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/8/2014 4:45:39 PM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 89
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 2:48:41 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

The artillery Nato box is still that pale French blue. Shouldn't that also become purple? Or is that a standard colour for that type, as the Italian has the same colour?

I notice a green border effect of the counter itself on the screenshot. On purpose?

-------

AxeINL,
The artillery shade like the White for NZL is still hiding in plain sight. No clue where it might be in the data files.

The green outline is pretty much standard when the green bubble is active. You can see the effect in screenshots all throughout the AAR's. Land, Air and Sea counters.

For the background of the CW divisions, I'll look at some shades of Khaki. Better fit That purple shade needs to be for the Italians.

For a Pathfinder symbol, how about a Mosquito counter?

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Graphics Help Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI