Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So is it playable yet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> So is it playable yet? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So is it playable yet? - 2/28/2014 2:21:02 PM   
YohanTM

Hi, been traveling and just got my new gaming PC. Ready to load WiF and all the patches. Is the game playable through netplay as yet?
Post #: 1
RE: So is it playable yet? - 2/28/2014 5:45:24 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: YohanTM

Hi, been traveling and just got my new gaming PC. Ready to load WiF and all the patches. Is the game playable through netplay as yet?

warspite1

No 'fraid not. I think netplay will be a good while yet.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to YohanTM)
Post #: 2
RE: So is it playable yet? - 2/28/2014 6:43:16 PM   
YohanTM

disappointing but not shocked

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/2/2014 12:12:58 PM   
Dabrion

Disappointing and shocking!

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to YohanTM)
Post #: 4
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/2/2014 2:20:40 PM   
Cataphract88

How playable is a full-length solitaire game at this stage?

Richard

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 5
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/2/2014 3:37:54 PM   
alexvand

quote:

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

Completely. I just finished a game in M/J of 1945.

Mind you there are a few bugs here and there, but they do have work arounds and patches keep coming.

(in reply to Cataphract88)
Post #: 6
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/2/2014 3:55:54 PM   
Dabrion

I never came further than MJ 40, and took like ages to get there.. You constantly have to reload because it either plain breaks or you hit a wall where you have to use a "work around", which is the accepted solution to ~70% of the bugs. After two reloads you have to restart the game client.

The whole rules logic is very opaque and you have to second guess why and what happened. There is no indicator as to what happens and why. Resource routing is basically broken. Supply is calculated wrong or not at all. Even when all this will be fixed (which I believe it will.. think of Achilles and the snail), you are left with CWiF-esque client that can basically display the map and apply one set of rules (roughly equivalent to the Millenium Annual).

YMMV, but for my taste it is still pretty much dysfunctional as a WIF sandbox, even for solitaire play.

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 7
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/2/2014 5:35:31 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

I never came further than MJ 40, and took like ages to get there.. You constantly have to reload because it either plain breaks or you hit a wall where you have to use a "work around", which is the accepted solution to ~70% of the bugs. After two reloads you have to restart the game client.

The whole rules logic is very opaque and you have to second guess why and what happened. There is no indicator as to what happens and why. Resource routing is basically broken. Supply is calculated wrong or not at all. Even when all this will be fixed (which I believe it will.. think of Achilles and the snail), you are left with CWiF-esque client that can basically display the map and apply one set of rules (roughly equivalent to the Millenium Annual).

YMMV, but for my taste it is still pretty much dysfunctional as a WIF sandbox, even for solitaire play.

I don't agree. It is playable in solitaire. Sure, there are bugs, but mr. Dabrion expects far to much, I'm afraid. Supply isn't calculated wrong (but I agree there are bugs there, which you can avoid) and resource routing works correct. It only takes a lot of work to get right, and I believe Mr. Dabrion doesn't want to spend time to find out how things works...

And a computer can only play with one rule set, not two, or three, or four... For a computer the way things are coded are the rules and there simply isn't room to twist the rules in your favour (houserules...).

Peter

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 8
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/2/2014 6:52:39 PM   
Dabrion

Thank you very much for explaining my expectations in such detail. And for your wild guess about how much time I spend doing things, and trying to work out resource routing in MWiF particular.
Ah wait.. you didn't! This was just some kind of knee-jerk reflex, .. well then..

ad rem:
I don't follow how you can say: "Supply isn't calculated wrong (but I agree there are bugs there, which you can avoid)", though cannot agree with me saying that you have to use "work arounds" a lot. Also in these cases the outcome is clearly "wrong" if you dont use the work around (for those not in the know,the particular work around is loading a save game). It is also only an anecdote, just happens to be top of the list for me.

It would be helpful if you could state your expectations and why you think MWiF is "playable". I'll gladly do the same afterwards, although I believe my expectations are quite naive.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 9
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/2/2014 7:30:13 PM   
etsadler

I think there is a middle ground between Dabrion and Centuur.

Let us not try to say there are no faults or that we should accept them because there is a work around. I know that the supply bugs can be a real pain, especially I find in China for the Japanese. I have, many times, had to reload the game every phase, to put planes in supply, to put units in supply, to conduct combat (and at that I always have to conduct the Japanese combat first (and hope that I don't have two combats that are supply bugged). So while I do play a good bit, those necessities can be frustrating.

On the other hand resource routing works fine for me, although I'm not generally trying to push the limit of the system. Yes, I have been frustrated some times in trying to route a specific resource to a specific place, but thankfully rarely.

I would like to understand better what Dabrion means by "one set of rules". There are may optional rules already implemented, and more to come. Each optional rule used or not used creates a new "set of rules". Now if you mean there is not the option to use 4th Edition rules vs. 5th Edition, vs. Ultimate Edition, vs. some future edition, then you are certainly right, but I'm not aware of any computer game that allows that.

Taken as a whole I would say, IMHO, that the truth of MWiF lies, as it often does, somewhere between the extremes.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 10
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/2/2014 8:38:10 PM   
bo

quote:

Hi cataphract88

I have to 2nd alex van about very playable. Please, alex dont use the word "work around" it annoys people Outside of the debacle about supply with 1.1.5.0 download. I finished Barbarossa without any errors, mistakes, bugs whatever. And I crushed the Russians in the fast start game and the new game start, of course that does not say much for my expetise in strategetic warfare as I was also the Russians, I will have to learn to use river barriers better.

As a tester I have Fascist Tide, not one problem into the 6th turn, not a long time into the game with another some 25 turns to go. It is not my goal as a beta tester to go deep into the game but to back over and over the same moves after Steve has made a change, to make sure the change did not effect another part of the game, it is tedious and humdrum but neccessary. I did have one minor glitch with Vichy but it could have been something I did wrong because I have not seen it again.

I believe Steve has to do a few things to Fascist tide before he releases it, but it has been testing flawlessly. I have also went through the five turn Guadalcanal scenario many times and after the air to sea battles were corrected some months ago I am having no trouble and let me say this I try everything, I put naval battles together that are mind numbing I do not play any roll in the outcome just in the interceptions, which I do force. To back that up when I say I am having no troubles I would never have started that AAR on the battle of the Coral Sea if I was having any troubles.

I hear a lot of complaints all legitimate I assume, not questioning what players run into. Not one so called work around yet in the game I am playing.

But I get the feeling sometimes I must have a different version of MWIF then some other players, could be I do I will have to check that out. Now with making that comment I personally do not test Global war, I went and opened Global war yesterday and had some problems with Japanese and Chinese supply situations which Steve is working on. I tend to favor the short games because at my age after 6 moves I fall asleep

I am not a Matrix homeboy I can assure you. If I feel something is wrong I speak up and will continue to do so, it is true due to NDA I have to keep most of my feelings in the beta forums, nothing so sinister just the rules.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 3/3/2014 4:37:00 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/2/2014 10:29:00 PM   
Cataphract88

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. Lets hope that the problems can be ironed out, because this game has so much potential.

Richard

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 12
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/2/2014 11:14:00 PM   
bo

quote:

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. Lets hope that the problems can be ironed out, because this game has so much potential.

cataphract88 this is not a mirage but an actual game of the scenario Fascist Tide that we are putting finishing touches to, I have no time table on that, not my call

What you are seeing on this screen is the opening phase of the 5th impulse of the July AUG. 1940 turn,[ 6th actual turn in the game] but it is the Germans 3rd impulse, the phase naval air is on the screen. I will not accept a French surrender at the end of this turn, I an not going to create a Vichy state. I want my Panzers and my Wermacht to continue on to the French Spanish border with full intentions of invading Spain and going after Girbraltar which is considered to be the most important hex in the game.

Would I do this against a good human opponet, hmmm probably not, against a competent AI hmm yes and no. As you can see France is doomed, could I have represented France better in the fighting, hmmm probably, but being pro German why should I Just kidding.

I guess my point is I have had not one bug, not one crash, no problem with supply, nothing, nada. Not one so called work around.

Could something have slipped by me while playing that could be called a bug or needs a cosmetic correction, absolutely, I am not the sharpest tester on game rules, but I dont have to be the MWIF engine keeps me on the straight and narrow. There has been alot of negativity and deservedly so but it will be straightened out given time. All of these troubles out on the posts are real but I have not seen one of them playing Fascist tide this last week.

Synopsis: Believe what I am showing you or not, your choice. Matrix cares if you buy this game but I dont give two hoots if you do or you don't. Your choice. I am referring to solitaire play only for the moment.

Bo

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bo -- 3/3/2014 4:42:56 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/8/2014 7:37:30 PM   
Derne

No.

(in reply to YohanTM)
Post #: 14
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/8/2014 9:11:43 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Derne

No.

Hi Derne

Welcome to the forums, could you elaborate a little more on the word no, thank you.

Bo

(in reply to Derne)
Post #: 15
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/8/2014 9:35:28 PM   
shaddock

I think he has dyslexia and meant to say "on"

save the carrots; eat a vegan!

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 16
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/8/2014 9:42:57 PM   
AxelNL

I think it is: No - Netplay doesn't work, and that's why I bought it.

Edit, it is: "No - Netplay doesn't work, and that's why I bought it", I was translating the word "no" based on another post from Derne in the tech forum. I myself would like Netplay to work, but also the AI (if only for CW convoy and production). Getting all bugs from Solitair which will wreck Havoc with Netplay or the AI is to be done first.

For the record: Solitair is very playable. But there are some bugs still being nasty.

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/9/2014 11:30:44 AM >

(in reply to shaddock)
Post #: 17
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/8/2014 10:27:53 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: shaddock

I think he has dyslexia and meant to say "on"

Hi shaddock

Welcome to the forums, could you elaborate a little more on the word on, thank you

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 3/8/2014 11:29:13 PM >

(in reply to shaddock)
Post #: 18
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/8/2014 10:32:40 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

I think it is: No - Netplay doesn't work, and that's why I bought it.

Ok thats why you bought it Axey, but did he buy it?

Shouldn't you be stress testing things instead of intertrupting intelligent posts

Bo

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 19
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 3:54:40 AM   
Dabrion

I bought it to have a viable sandbox for playing online. We are far from that.. we will spend another year coding the ruleset and attempting a computer opponent.. zzZzzz

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 20
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 11:19:21 AM   
khucke

Being Derne's playing partner I know this 'no' is an expression of massive frustration of now not being even able to start any new game (See thread in Tech support). This comes on top of an avalanche of bugs that we're struggling with since starting to play the game months ago. Patch progress has been painfully slow and disappointment has been mounting proportionally.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

No.

Hi Derne

Welcome to the forums, could you elaborate a little more on the word no, thank you.

Bo

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 21
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 3:52:09 PM   
Centuur

On netplay, the answer is indeed no at this moment.

Solitair, it's reasonable.

Peter

(in reply to khucke)
Post #: 22
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 3:55:34 PM   
Numdydar

Can't start a new game? I have have never had that issue from the beginning of the launch. I have started many games from GW to scenerios. So it has to be something unique with his system (or mine lol.) Of course this was solitare. I have also been able to start and play a netplay game although never got through a full turn.

(in reply to khucke)
Post #: 23
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 5:18:28 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: khucke

Being Derne's playing partner I know this 'no' is an expression of massive frustration of now not being even able to start any new game (See thread in Tech support). This comes on top of an avalanche of bugs that we're struggling with since starting to play the game months ago. Patch progress has been painfully slow and disappointment has been mounting proportionally.

Hi Khucke,

I can image you and Derne's frustration. Been there myself. I have tried to help a bit on his post just now, but am not that knowledgeable in this area. Perhaps logging a formal ticket to Andrew via the Matrix site will give him more support in this area. The knowledge I have I gave in the tech forum, and it came from Andrew just after the release.

Lex

(in reply to khucke)
Post #: 24
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 5:19:40 PM   
Dabrion

What is reasonable for a $100 investment?

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 25
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 5:31:20 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Sadly, more than is being delivered at the moment obviously.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 26
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 5:31:57 PM   
Centuur

quote:

This answer is to be expected from you, I'm afraid. Go trouble the customer service of Matrix with this. Start bombarding them with emails, get a lawyer, etc. etc.

Peter

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 27
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 5:39:06 PM   
Dabrion

I was asking you, as you used the word.. so what is reasonable and how does it relate to the buy price?

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 28
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 5:39:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

This answer is to be expected from you, I'm afraid. Go trouble the customer service of Matrix with this. Start bombarding them with emails, get a lawyer, etc. etc.
warspite1

It wasn't an answer it was a question, and I don't think an unreasonable (no pun intended) one.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 29
RE: So is it playable yet? - 3/9/2014 5:50:47 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: khucke

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

No.

Hi Derne

Bo

I am trully mortified that you two cannot enjoy the game because of its many problems. Appreciate your answer I was just curious what "NO" meant nothing evil meant by that. I found his answer errr interesting, and do apoligize to him if he felt I was making a joke of the word no, my intentions were to have him elaborate more on it and you did, thank you

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 3/9/2014 6:53:53 PM >

(in reply to khucke)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> So is it playable yet? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI