Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPM development update 09/03/2014

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> SPM development update 09/03/2014 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPM development update 09/03/2014 - 3/9/2014 1:07:08 PM   
Nacho84

Hello,

I hope you're all well and that you're enjoying the weekend Development on SPM is moving along steadily, and I want to share with you the things we are working on so that you know what to expect in the next update, which will be released sometime in March. As we've mentioned in the past update, we're adding a mix-and-match functionality that will allow you to select any booster, provided it has the power to lift the payload and, in the case of manned missions, there's a strict requirement for the rocket to be man-rated. The code for this feature is complete, we're now working on the visual aspect of it, which involves creating new animations for the deployments and the launches of the manned rockets (see the images below). As a nice bonus, we found a much more clever way to store the animations and now the installer size is 1/3 of what it used to be! Successive patches will be a lot smaller as well.

On the UI side, Boris has been busy creating the space complex for the Soviet 'race to the Moon' campaign. Here's some work in progress, which features elements borrowed from Baikonur and Star City.

Mauricio is cracking on with the 3D models and the renders for the Soviet missions. He's finished work on the Voskhod missions and is now working on the different flavours of Soyuz that will be featured in the game. See some of the new renders below.

From a gameplay point of view, we have some suprises in store:

* Random events: There will be both 'good' and 'bad', and they will be displayed in the News screen at the beginning of every season. The code for this feature is ready, but it still needs to be playtested and tweaked.
* Decision events: These ones will be shown at the beginning of the season and will require the player to select one from two options. Some examples include spending money in order to avoid a reliability hit or a morale drop. This feature (which is not ready yet) will surely provide a great replayability value when coupled with the random events.
* Completely revamped mission list: Some members of the community are kindly giving me a hand on this one by creating new missions scripts and animations featuring more options than the ones originally provided by us. Now you will be able to run test missions in Earth orbit for the Lunar Gemini programs or perform an unmanned test of the LEM in Earth orbit, as performed by the Apollo 5 mission.
* Database improvements: Tied to the point above, we're also revising the whole master spreadsheet and tweaking the goals dependencies and penalizations among different programs. We're also removing the existing X-15 -> Mercury -> Gemini -> Apollo dependency, which made the game a little bit rigid. Once the changes in the database are complete, you'll be able to skip some of the basic programs (at the risk of suffering a penalization, of course). This feature will give you a lot more flexibility in your approach and, personally, I cannot wait to see AARs from players showing how they dived straight into Apollo and managed to perform a successful lunar landing with it!
* Failure systems: Not sure if we're going to be able to fit this in the next update, but we have reworked the code in order to support different types of failures. At the moment we're creating a database of failure messages, which will cover both general problems along with specific problems. Creating this database takes quite a while and that's why we cannot promise this feature will be included in 0.7.16, but we'll do our best.

As you can see, there's a lot going on here. Unfortunately, implementing these features is not a one-week job and, since nearly all of them have such a big impact on gameplay, we've decided to release an update once they are all ready, so that you can test how they interact with each other. So... allocate some play-testing time for 0.7.16! I'm sure you'll find that all this flexibility will allow you to try many wacky approaches, and we're certainly interested in hearing about them!

Please, let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nacho84 -- 3/9/2014 3:55:06 PM >

Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion
Post #: 1
RE: SPM development update 09/03/2014 - 3/9/2014 1:07:45 PM   
Nacho84

Voskhod EVA.

Attachment (1)

Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 2
RE: SPM development update 09/03/2014 - 3/9/2014 1:08:11 PM   
Nacho84

Voskhod landing.

Attachment (1)

Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 3
RE: SPM development update 09/03/2014 - 3/9/2014 2:46:39 PM   
wolf14455

Very nice. Good work. Looking forward to the nextt build.
cheers

SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 4
RE: SPM development update 09/03/2014 - 3/9/2014 5:12:25 PM   
kentcol

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 5
RE: SPM development update 09/03/2014 - 3/10/2014 2:27:44 PM   
Agathosdaimon

this is sounding more and more intriguing - definitely is catching my interest now with this cold war race being built for the final product

(in reply to kentcol)
Post #: 6
RE: SPM development update 09/03/2014 - 3/10/2014 3:43:17 PM   
Chlivus

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 7
RE: SPM development update 09/03/2014 - 3/25/2014 2:30:40 AM   
EleSigma

On the failure systems, will it be possible to have it like in BARIS where if a certain step of a mission failed, it would do a check and if it wasn't severe enough it would continue on with the next step?

For instance in BARIS you would have situations where an EVA would fail, and it would do a check, if the number was low enough it would tell you something like the astronaut's visor fogged up, causing him to abort his space-walk. It would then continue on. If the rest of the mission went well you would get a "Partial-Success" for the mission, where you would get points in research for everything except the EVA suit, patches for everything except the EVA, and a reduced prestige award.

< Message edited by EleSigma -- 3/25/2014 3:32:54 AM >

(in reply to Chlivus)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> SPM development update 09/03/2014 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI