Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Deal of the week

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Deal of the week Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Deal of the week - 3/10/2014 2:21:18 PM   
IainMcNeil

Hi guys,

we had a slight technical glitch with the deal of the week and needed to re-upload and test some files today. This means a slightly delay and it will be going live tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

The Matrix Team

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Post #: 1
RE: Deal of the week - 3/10/2014 2:44:42 PM   
wings7

Thanks Iain for the heads up, I was just about to ask when it will be available.

Patrick

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 2
RE: Deal of the week - 3/10/2014 8:03:14 PM   
InuharikoMu

I hope it's Distant Worlds

“If a man does his best, what else is there?”
― George S. Patton Jr.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 3
RE: Deal of the week - 3/10/2014 9:03:07 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richtschnur

Thomas, you read my mind!

Patrick

(in reply to InuharikoMu)
Post #: 4
RE: Deal of the week - 3/10/2014 10:27:52 PM   
Wolfe1759

If it is you may be a lot better off holding on for Distant Worlds Universe.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 5
RE: Deal of the week - 3/11/2014 1:15:23 AM   
aaatoysandmore

It better not be I already own the whole series.

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 6
RE: Deal of the week - 3/11/2014 10:11:14 AM   
IainMcNeil

Its the first game we published as Slitherine, which was not developed internally and its a great one.

Commander Europe at War for $9.99 is unbelievable value and it comes with countless man years of expansions as it includes the free community created Grand Strategy 3.0.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 7
RE: Deal of the week - 3/11/2014 11:21:49 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Its the first game we published as Slitherine, which was not developed internally and its a great one.

Commander Europe at War for $9.99 is unbelievable value and it comes with countless man years of expansions as it includes the free community created Grand Strategy 3.0.

Great deal! And a great game!

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 8
RE: Deal of the week - 3/11/2014 5:40:06 PM   
InuharikoMu

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richtschnur

Thomas, you read my mind!

Patrick

*Dang* Doh*

― George S. Patton Jr.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 9
RE: Deal of the week - 3/11/2014 7:15:17 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

If it is you may be a lot better off holding on for Distant Worlds Universe.

John, by Universe, do you mean Distant Worlds and all the expansions?

Patrick

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 10
RE: Deal of the week - 3/11/2014 7:54:22 PM   
shunwick

I have just pulled the trigger on Commander: Europe At War. I have not have a chance to check it out apart from a very quick look but I like what I have seen so far.

Many thanks for this.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 11
RE: Deal of the week - 3/11/2014 11:02:54 PM   
GaryChildress

Hi shunwick,

You should DL the latest "Grand Strategy" mod. It really is a vast improvement on the game.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 12
RE: Deal of the week - 3/11/2014 11:12:22 PM   
BAL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Hi shunwick,

You should DL the latest "Grand Strategy" mod. It really is a vast improvement on the game.

According to the blurb about the deal, this is already part of the download package.

I'll try being nicer if you try being less stupid. - anon

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 13
RE: Deal of the week - 3/11/2014 11:48:36 PM   
Wolfe1759

Wings 7 - I believe the upcoming Universe expansion will be a standalone including all of the previous releases plus it's own additions. Details on it are a bit scant however.

BAL - I don't think it is included but it is free to download

Gary - I've not played that much of any version of Grand Strategy but my impression is that it adds a great deal in terms of detail and historicity to the game which unfortunately the AI is incapable of handling. Thus it probably greatly improves the multi-player game but worsens the single player game. Am I being too harsh ?

Then again at the price it is at in the sale buy it anyway, you'll definitely get your money's worth.

< Message edited by Wolfe -- 3/12/2014 12:50:23 AM >

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 14
RE: Deal of the week - 3/12/2014 6:35:10 AM   
InuharikoMu

The Version on Sale is 3.0 Grand Strategy Version! No Patch & Mod needed!

Best Regards

― George S. Patton Jr.

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 15
RE: Deal of the week - 3/12/2014 10:57:55 AM   
shunwick

Wolfe,

According to the Grand Strategy documentation (and there is a lot of it) the mod does not do anything to help the AI but it does not make it worse either. It is the same as the base (patched) version of the game.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to InuharikoMu)
Post #: 16
RE: Deal of the week - 3/12/2014 10:59:29 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

I have just pulled the trigger on Commander: Europe At War. I have not have a chance to check it out apart from a very quick look but I like what I have seen so far.

Many thanks for this.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Can you let me know what you think once you've had a chance to get a more detailed look please?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 17
RE: Deal of the week - 3/12/2014 11:05:06 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Many thanks for this.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Can you let me know what you think once you've had a chance to get a more detailed look please?

I will try but there really is is a lot of documentation and it is only on sale for a week. I made the decision to buy it after reading the comments of several people here and at over at the Slitherine site. It is a widely liked game.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 18
RE: Deal of the week - 3/12/2014 11:08:10 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Many thanks for this.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I will try but there really is is a lot of documentation and it is only on sale for a week. I made the decision to buy it after reading the comments of several people here and at over at the Slitherine site. It is a widely liked game.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Okay thanks - if you get the time then that would be great.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 19
RE: Deal of the week - 3/13/2014 10:13:35 PM   
shunwick

Warspite1,

Keep in mind this is a first impressions look at Commander: Europe at War Grand Strategy.

The game was created in Java, a strange choice and one that limits the resolution to 1064 x 768. It also requires a bit of tinkering with the compatibility options but it runs fine on my Vista laptop and my 8.1 desktop.

There is a reason the music is turned off by default but since I never have music on while playing wargames it is no loss for me.

Graphics are functional with the map and the UI clear and uncluttered. You can have little 3D type graphics for the units or NATO counters - and the large counter set is very nice. There are 3 zoom levels for the map and the graphics style, particularly the muted colours, gives a WWII feel to the game for me at least.

The game mechanics are relatively simple and easy to pick up. But that does not mean beer and pretzels. After downloading the game I tried my hand at defeating Poland and abandoned that game in 1940. Hmm…. it was time to read the manual.

The manual for the game runs to about 35 pages and does a reasonable job of giving an overview of the game. The manual for the Grand Strategy mod runs to 650 pages and includes advice on tactics, strategy and the kitchen sink.

The game has plenty of strategic depth with considerable subtlety thrown in for good measure. Playing the game requires a clear strategic plan and careful planning. It is a game, as far as I can tell at this point, that I can get my teeth into.

The ai is not particularly good. For learning the game mechanics and possibly a game or two it is fine. But the real beauty of this game, I suspect, is with PBEM or Hotseat.

Overall, I am very happy with this game especially at the Deal of the Week price. It has the quality of making you think – of analysing the latest campaign, what went right, what I did wrong, what I could do better.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 3/13/2014 11:14:39 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 20
RE: Deal of the week - 3/13/2014 11:46:13 PM   
Ranger33

Had to pick it up at that price! I really enjoy the Commander series, they really seem to hit the sweet spot for me when it comes to that scale of strategy.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 21
RE: Deal of the week - 3/13/2014 11:58:44 PM   
Challerain

quote:

It also requires a bit of tinkering with the compatibility options but it runs fine on my Vista laptop and my 8.1 desktop.

Any suggestions on what you did here? I tried running GS 3.0 and it would stick at the loading screen. Deleted it all and went back to Gold (version 1.12) and still stuck at the loading screen.

Thanks!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 22
RE: Deal of the week - 3/14/2014 12:54:04 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Challerain

quote:

It also requires a bit of tinkering with the compatibility options but it runs fine on my Vista laptop and my 8.1 desktop.

Any suggestions on what you did here? I tried running GS 3.0 and it would stick at the loading screen. Deleted it all and went back to Gold (version 1.12) and still stuck at the loading screen.

Thanks!

Challerain,

Hmmm.. Never had that problem on either of my machines. The Vista laptop I had to set to XP SP2 compatibility to get the game to work correctly and I also set the Run as Administrator flag. The 8.1 desktop had trouble without any compatibility settings, so I changed that to XP SP2 but that was worse. I had to visit the ctrl-alt-delli to exit the game. But it works ok on Vista compatibility.

Windows 8.1 is a strange beast. My machine, which is a middling thing and nothing special, ultimately runs everything I throw at it. However, I know it is problematical for other people. The Rome Total War forum on steam is full of Windows 8 or 8.1 RTW does not work threads. My computer runs it without any hitch at all.

Sorry that I cannot be any more help. I do hope you get it working.

Best wishes,
Steve

PS. The place to go to if you are still having problems is the Slitherine tech support forum for CAeW. There are a bunch of really helpful and knowledgeable guys over there and they might be able to help. Here is the link: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

< Message edited by shunwick -- 3/14/2014 5:22:44 PM >

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 23
RE: Deal of the week - 3/14/2014 6:53:09 PM   
Challerain

Thanks Steve....I'll pop over there and check it out

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 24
RE: Deal of the week - 3/14/2014 7:11:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite1,

Keep in mind this is a first impressions look at Commander: Europe at War Grand Strategy.

The game was created in Java, a strange choice and one that limits the resolution to 1064 x 768. It also requires a bit of tinkering with the compatibility options but it runs fine on my Vista laptop and my 8.1 desktop.

There is a reason the music is turned off by default but since I never have music on while playing wargames it is no loss for me.

Graphics are functional with the map and the UI clear and uncluttered. You can have little 3D type graphics for the units or NATO counters - and the large counter set is very nice. There are 3 zoom levels for the map and the graphics style, particularly the muted colours, gives a WWII feel to the game for me at least.

The game mechanics are relatively simple and easy to pick up. But that does not mean beer and pretzels. After downloading the game I tried my hand at defeating Poland and abandoned that game in 1940. Hmm…. it was time to read the manual.

The manual for the game runs to about 35 pages and does a reasonable job of giving an overview of the game. The manual for the Grand Strategy mod runs to 650 pages and includes advice on tactics, strategy and the kitchen sink.

The game has plenty of strategic depth with considerable subtlety thrown in for good measure. Playing the game requires a clear strategic plan and careful planning. It is a game, as far as I can tell at this point, that I can get my teeth into.

The ai is not particularly good. For learning the game mechanics and possibly a game or two it is fine. But the real beauty of this game, I suspect, is with PBEM or Hotseat.

Overall, I am very happy with this game especially at the Deal of the Week price. It has the quality of making you think – of analysing the latest campaign, what went right, what I did wrong, what I could do better.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Thanks a lot - will decide this weekend.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 25
RE: Deal of the week - 3/14/2014 8:02:29 PM   
Yogi the Great

Crap, they got me! Had to buy it on the deal.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Deal of the week Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote