Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2 questions...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> 2 questions... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2 questions... - 3/1/2014 4:18:23 PM   
BodyBag

Hi all

On the fence about this one,-

1: Is there a Manual pdf one can download before buying?

2: Can you remove the hex-grid on the map, or make it a bit more discrete?

Cheers,

In politics, stupidity is not a handicap
Napoleon Bonaparte
Post #: 1
RE: 2 questions... - 3/1/2014 4:59:40 PM   
Barthheart

1. You can down lad the boardgame rules this PC game is based on here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/71967/heroes-of-the-gap-rules-scan

2. No you cannot change the hex grid.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to BodyBag)
Post #: 2
RE: 2 questions... - 3/2/2014 4:56:29 PM   
BodyBag

Thanks,

I wish more publishers would realize, that releasing a manual will only create more interest and potential sales of a game.

Cheers,

Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 3
RE: 2 questions... - 3/2/2014 6:16:17 PM   
HobbesACW

I agree. I can't see any reason why a manual is not made available. If the game is good (as this one is) there is nothing to hide.
I will be buying Crusader Kings II soon - after downloading the manual and seeing the depth of the game.

Cheers,
Chris

(in reply to BodyBag)
Post #: 4
RE: 2 questions... - 3/2/2014 7:31:33 PM   
BodyBag

Crusader Kings II is a fantastic game,- I recommend it 100%!

I don't know how many hours I have spent playing that game, but it is a lot
Still I feel I have just begun. I think this is a game you will enjoy for years to come.

And yes, Paradox actually posted the manual on their forum before release...

Cheers,

< Message edited by BodyBag -- 3/2/2014 9:59:44 PM >

Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 5
RE: 2 questions... - 3/2/2014 8:24:33 PM   
ioticus

I never understood why publishers don't post their manual either. If you believe in your game and your game is good, seems like a WIN WIN for both parties.

(in reply to BodyBag)
Post #: 6
RE: 2 questions... - 3/2/2014 9:43:11 PM   
z1812

Other companies do provide PDF manuals for download. Some provide them in advance of the game being released. I would think it to be good marketing.

(in reply to BodyBag)
Post #: 7
RE: 2 questions... - 3/3/2014 8:38:16 PM   
madDdog67

The odd thing is, they used to have a version of the board game rules semi-hidden on the old LnL web site, but they're not available anymore to the best of my knowledge. Of all the board game publishers out there, the 2 that stand out as making their game rules available even before the game is in stores would be Fantasy Flight and GMT. GMT even has live demos of games before they're released, and makes beta Vassal mods available as well.

I know it's up to each publisher to do what they think is in their best interests, but I don't think GMT's openness when it comes to rules/vassal mods has hurt their sales any.

The only problem with a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 8
RE: 2 questions... - 3/3/2014 9:50:39 PM   
markhwalker

quote:

The odd thing is, they used to have a version of the board game rules semi-hidden on the old LnL web site, but they're not available anymore to the best of my knowledge. Of all the board game publishers out there, the 2 that stand out as making their game rules available even before the game is in stores would be Fantasy Flight and GMT. GMT even has live demos of games before they're released, and makes beta Vassal mods available as well.

I know it's up to each publisher to do what they think is in their best interests,

On Matrix I can't really say. With LNLP I can say that it isn't a "what we thinks is best" thing. It's a "we don't have have the manpower/money to do what FFG or GMT does" thing.

World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?

(in reply to madDdog67)
Post #: 9
RE: 2 questions... - 3/3/2014 10:02:53 PM   
BodyBag

So why not provide a link to the manual for this game?

I know it exist in both pdf and print.

Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 10
RE: 2 questions... - 3/12/2014 6:20:17 PM   
BodyBag

Ok, so no reason for NOT providing a link to game-manual then.

You just lost a potential customer...

Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to BodyBag)
Post #: 11
RE: 2 questions... - 3/12/2014 6:26:28 PM   
Barthheart

If you want to read the core rules of the game you can get them here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/71967/heroes-of-the-gap-rules-scan

These are the same rules the PC game operates on... except for flanking fire... and hidden units.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to BodyBag)
Post #: 12
RE: 2 questions... - 3/12/2014 6:40:48 PM   
BodyBag

Yes, I have looked at these rules that are for a completely different game, in a different time and for a board-game.
That is not the point.

I have never bought a PC- or a board-game without having a look on the correct rules for that game first. Most publishers and Steam makes these available before buying.

Nobody on this forum has given me a reason why THIS manual is not available.

No manual, no sale.

Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 13
RE: 2 questions... - 3/12/2014 6:50:03 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: BodyBag

Yes, I have looked at these rules that are for a completely different game, in a different time and for a board-game.
That is not the point.

I have never bought a PC- or a board-game without having a look on the correct rules for that game first. Most publishers and Steam makes these available before buying.

Nobody on this forum has given me a reason why THIS manual is not available.

No manual, no sale.

Sigh... they are not for a completely different game. All games in the LnL series use the exact same core rules. Yes there are extra rules for different time periods and different forces. Those are not in the file I pointed you to.
Yes they are for the board game. The PC use exactly the same rules. No sure what else you want to get from the rules?

But yes you are right. Matrix has chosen not to post the rules for all to see. That is their right as they are the publisher. The rest of us have no say in that.

(in reply to BodyBag)
Post #: 14
RE: 2 questions... - 3/12/2014 6:58:05 PM   
BodyBag

Sigh...well I don't have the time or the will to read a poor copy of a manual for another game, guessing which rules are relevant for THIS PC-game.

Too bad,- no sale.

Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 15
RE: 2 questions... - 3/12/2014 7:05:01 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: BodyBag

Sigh...well I don't have the time or the will to read a poor copy of a manual for another game, guessing which rules are relevant for THIS PC-game.

Too bad,- no sale.

All of the rules are relevant to this PC game. It's the manual that comes in each and every copy of the board game, the Band of Heroes (WWII 1942-45) game, the Heroes of the Blitzkrieg (WWII 1939-40) game, the Forgotten Heroes (Vietnam) game, Ring of Hills (Falklands War) game, Heroes of the Gap (WWIII) game, and the Day of Heroes (Somalia) game.

Not trying to convince you to buy the game. No sale to you is no money out of my pocket. I don't speak for Matrix or LnL. Just trying to be helpful.

(in reply to BodyBag)
Post #: 16
RE: 2 questions... - 3/12/2014 7:42:21 PM   
BodyBag

Yes, but try see it from my side, maybe without a condescending sigh.

I was on the fence about this game, but a good and well-written manual would prob. had won me over.
50$ (incl VAT) is a bit high for this game when you look at the competition, so a manual could provide some much needed PR.

10 days ago on this forum I asked the question why there was no manual,- nobody have given me a reason yet.

I know you are just trying to be helpful, but if Matrix want to sell this game, they really have to provide some more info like a manual. It should not be necessary to have you volunteering documents from another game, and me to read it.
They should be happy that you are helping out.

Cheers,

Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 17
RE: 2 questions... - 3/12/2014 9:54:57 PM   
Michael T

It is dumb they don't make the manual available. I was on the fence as a current ASL player. A kind soul sent me a copy of the rules via email. After reading the rules I bought the game as I think it is at least on the way to ASL.

But another game I just bought is Piercing Fortress Europa, also by Matrix and its manual is available from this site. So go figure.

(in reply to BodyBag)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> 2 questions... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI