Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: USS Baffins Bridge

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: USS Baffins Bridge Page: <<   < prev  496 497 [498] 499 500   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 4:48:09 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*************HQ Thirteenth Air Force, Karenko, Formosa, July 6, 1943(c)***********

CO: ECUADOR!???

Man in fine linen slacks: Yes, sir! I can have 25 low mileage SBD-5's here within 2 weeks if you purchase the "urgent option"

CO: How much more for the "urgent option"?

Man in fine linen slacks: 25%...but I'll throw in a free repaint of roundels and we have a fine selection of pinstripe options.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 14911
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 5:16:40 PM   
Argos

Okay the plan is 'do not shelter in place and carry lots of good insurance' then...

Post #: 14912
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 5:22:27 PM   
witpqs

Bah! In those neighborhoods they pay to have a fire engine and full crew for each house.

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 14913
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 5:46:32 PM   
Argos

Actually insurance companies do that if they have a chance (pay is great, better than $3500 a day for an engine and crew of 3 and no other responsibility - plus homeowners tend to cook when the get nervous so you eat well...) trouble is they need a day or two to make arrangements to get trucks in, equipment and personnel have to be available (nothing else burning in the Western US), and it still has to be safe to put a truck there. Some of those houses you could build into a 1,000,000 gallon water tank and that's the only way you could keep them from burning.

The fires in that fuel type (SoCal , Australia, Greece) aren't fight-able when they get running, you end up just trying to manage them until conditions change. Fire back in 2003 in SoCal and the IC tried to use an 8 lane Interstate and better than 1000 pieces of apparatus as a holding line. Didn't even slow it down, ended up 1/2 mile past into the housing developments. Some of the film we see from SoCal in training is unbelievable but does a great job of emphasizing that sometimes you have to just try to get everybody out of the way.

< Message edited by Argos -- 3/10/2014 6:47:27 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14914
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 6:18:17 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Argos

Actually insurance companies do that if they have a chance (pay is great, better than $3500 a day for an engine and crew of 3 and no other responsibility - plus homeowners tend to cook when the get nervous so you eat well...) trouble is they need a day or two to make arrangements to get trucks in, equipment and personnel have to be available (nothing else burning in the Western US), and it still has to be safe to put a truck there. Some of those houses you could build into a 1,000,000 gallon water tank and that's the only way you could keep them from burning.

The fires in that fuel type (SoCal , Australia, Greece) aren't fight-able when they get running, you end up just trying to manage them until conditions change. Fire back in 2003 in SoCal and the IC tried to use an 8 lane Interstate and better than 1000 pieces of apparatus as a holding line. Didn't even slow it down, ended up 1/2 mile past into the housing developments. Some of the film we see from SoCal in training is unbelievable but does a great job of emphasizing that sometimes you have to just try to get everybody out of the way.

Lived in SoCal for 9 years, not too far from our fearless author. The back fence was about 20 ft behind the deck, with a tree in between. The small slope behind the fence was ours, probably 30 to 40 ft before a drop off. I had that slope planted with some native fire resistant stuff in an effort to hold the slope (landslides!) while not providing fuel.

We moved less than 48 hours before that fire started in November 2008. Basically a car broke down and caught fire a few miles to the east on the 91 Freeway. The Santa Ana winds had started coming up the day we left and were very strong plus gusting above 70 mph by then - it's the Santa Ana Canyon and winds from that direction are funneled down, which speeds them up and heats them up. Some grass or brush near the burning car caught fire, and the whole thing sort of ran down the canyon like a blowtorch. Several hundred homes and a couple of apartment complexes were lost, including a home a few doors down from where we had lived. I was later told that the fire burned right up to the back deck of our old house and they stopped it there.

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 14915
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 7:43:47 PM   
sprior

This isn't your place is it Cap?

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14916
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 7:44:55 PM   
Cap Mandrake

We actually have to pay a "Wildfire Management Fee" (or something of the sort..about $150 2 x/year). It's actually a tax but the lads in Sacramento imagine we won't figure it out if they call it a "fee".

This is in addition to an ungodly real estate tax and a spectacular amount of money the HOA pays the county every year to staff a station right in the development.

Generally, these kind of things make me angry but one time about 10 years ago a fire burned right up to the ridgeline aboout 400 yds away. I was out loading stuff into my truck and an absolutely massive 4 engine seaplane flew 200 ft over my house and scored a direct hit on the ridgeline with retardant. You could feel the engines and props in your chest. I was seriously impressed.

I thought to myself, "Well there went my property taxes for last year"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14917
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 7:48:03 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Nope. Stupid waste of manpower to have one guy holding the ladder.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 14918
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 7:57:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

************With the 41st Guards Bn, Moulmein, Daybreak, July 6, 1943(c)*************

Maj Okigawa: <looks out from his bunker in the early morning light. He sees at least 30 large transports and the massive sihouettes of 3 battleships. Hundreds of enemy infantry are already shore. A single Japan-mens mortar battery engages the landing vessels. Seconds later, half a dozen destroyers begin firing accurately at the battery>

HORY CRAP! ROOK AT-AH GODDAMNED SHIPS! EXECUTE PRAN RONGBOW! SHETAH IN PRACE-AH!

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/10/2014 8:58:21 PM >

Post #: 14919
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 8:08:56 PM   
Lecivius

OK, I just bought a pound of what I think is coffee from some cheerleader types on a fund raiser.  Reciept is from M & M Enterprises.  I think Cap here is starting to go all commercial on us

Post #: 14920
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 10:04:11 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Nope. Stupid waste of manpower to have one guy holding the ladder.

I suppose using two lengths of rope, one to tie off the ladder to each of the two balconies, would make too much sense because it would allow the second guy to do something productive and be safer for the guy on the ladder.

Post #: 14921
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 11:17:41 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

We moved less than 48 hours before that fire started in November 2008. Basically a car broke down and caught fire a few miles to the east on the 91 Freeway. The Santa Ana winds had started coming up the day we left and were very strong plus gusting above 70 mph by then - it's the Santa Ana Canyon and winds from that direction are funneled down, which speeds them up and heats them up. Some grass or brush near the burning car caught fire, and the whole thing sort of ran down the canyon like a blowtorch. Several hundred homes and a couple of apartment complexes were lost, including a home a few doors down from where we had lived. I was later told that the fire burned right up to the back deck of our old house and they stopped it there.

Did you get your car repaired in a timely fashion, my Argletonian colleague?

Scorched Earth policy indeed! Why couldn't you just shake the dust from your sandals or something like that next time?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14922
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/10/2014 11:21:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

OK, I just bought a pound of what I think is coffee from some cheerleader types on a fund raiser.  Reciept is from M & M Enterprises.  I think Cap here is starting to go all commercial on us

1. Was it a pound, or a reduced size package (ala Starbucks)-in reality 10-12 oz.?
2. Was it, in fact, coffee?
3. Did the per unit cost work out to $70/pound?
4. Were the cheerleader types sporting distractingly large breatesses so that you wouldn't hector them with these questions?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 14923
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/11/2014 3:49:29 PM   
Argos

Its quite an experience to be in the drop zone, with the added thrill of ending up with the world's worst fake tan color that doesn't wash out easily, it kind of wears off once it drys. Going rate on those retardant drops is something like $5k a load depending on plane/volume. Used correctly, with good pilots, air assets are exceedingly effective in the correct fuels.

quote:

We actually have to pay a "Wildfire Management Fee" (or something of the sort..about $150 2 x/year). It's actually a tax but the lads in Sacramento imagine we won't figure it out if they call it a "fee".

This is in addition to an ungodly real estate tax and a spectacular amount of money the HOA pays the county every year to staff a station right in the development.

Generally, these kind of things make me angry but one time about 10 years ago a fire burned right up to the ridgeline aboout 400 yds away. I was out loading stuff into my truck and an absolutely massive 4 engine seaplane flew 200 ft over my house and scored a direct hit on the ridgeline with retardant. You could feel the engines and props in your chest. I was seriously impressed.

I thought to myself, "Well there went my property taxes for last year"

Post #: 14924
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/11/2014 9:54:14 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***************Malaysian Air Force Station, Johore Bahru, May 7, 2014(a)*************

Radar guy named "Sparks" in Malay: Sir, the unidentified aircraft over the Gulf of Thailand has just turned around and is headed SW.

OOD: <he sports a quizical look for a number of seconds and then his eyes grow wide> Oh my God! It's the Mersing Gambit!

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/11/2014 10:54:56 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 14925
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/11/2014 10:18:23 PM   
poodlebrain

quote:

***************Malaysian Air Force Station, Johore Bahru, May 7, 2014(a)*************

Radar guy named "Sparks" in Malay: Sir, the unidentified aircraft over the Gulf of Thailand has just turned around and is headed SW.

OOD: <he sports a quizical look for a number of seconds and then his eyes grow wide> Oh my God! It's the Mersing Gambit!
You should be able to get defenders there in time to resist the invasion. Almost two months, but that may not be enough time to build very effective fortifications.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

Post #: 14926
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/12/2014 3:29:25 AM   
moore4807

quote:

Noting the May 7th 2014 date;
I could only think of the movie scene in "Search for Red October" at the end of the movie where the Sec. of State is sitting behind his desk, takes off his glasses and looks at the Russkie and says "You mean to tell me you lost another submarine?"

Since we know that M & M Enterprises is alive and well in this day and age, what is a slightly used 777-200 going for? $50 million?

Post #: 14927
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/12/2014 6:03:28 PM   
sprior

Magic, the Butt-crack http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoades/man-goes-to-magic-the-gathering-tournament-poses-next-to-but

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 14928
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/12/2014 6:17:33 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Crack Kills!

Good news is in the case of a plumbing emergency at the tournament they had it covered.

I think Admirar Rord Nerson is attending the Havasupai Spring Fertility and ****ly Pear Festival....or maybe South by Southwest.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 14929
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/12/2014 6:18:24 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Magic, the Butt-crack http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoades/man-goes-to-magic-the-gathering-tournament-poses-next-to-but

"expertly"

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 14930
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/12/2014 6:50:35 PM   
sprior

One for the geeks: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14931
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/12/2014 7:23:24 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14932
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/12/2014 7:59:15 PM   
sprior

Just in case you make it to Bugis St:

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 14933
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/12/2014 9:17:09 PM   
sprior

"Sarcasm will get you nowhere in life." my boss told me.

"Well it got me to the 'International Sarcasm' finals in Santiago, Chile in 2009." I informed him.

"Really?" he asked.

"No." I said.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 14934
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/13/2014 12:03:40 AM   
zuluhour

speechless.........again

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 14935
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/13/2014 4:10:38 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Engrish jokes make me raugh but Japan-mens nevah tahk to boss rike that.

Post #: 14936
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/13/2014 4:12:06 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I am saddened nobody tried to break the code.

Post #: 14937
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/13/2014 4:14:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I think Baffins Bridge arrives in Panama today. I can hardly wait to see her. I'll post a pic as soon as I get home.

Wait...that doesn't sound right. I'll post a pic of the Baffins Bridge in Panama when I get home.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/13/2014 6:47:50 PM >

Post #: 14938
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/13/2014 6:01:42 PM   
Argos

Dear Lord, please don't let the Ex-Men be involved in any way with the Panama photos...

Post #: 14939
RE: USS Baffins Bridge - 3/13/2014 6:39:04 PM   
sprior

See, that's the problem with the youth of today, no sense of adventure.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 14940
Page:   <<   < prev  496 497 [498] 499 500   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: USS Baffins Bridge Page: <<   < prev  496 497 [498] 499 500   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI