Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/15/2014 2:00:39 PM   
Curtis Lemay

To me, it sounds more and more like the Payne Stewart situation. Flies in random directions. Erratic changes in altitude. It sounds like the plane was unpiloted and depressurized. How it got that way I can only guess at, but I'm thinking that there may have been some catastrophic damage to the cockpit that kills the crew, de-pressurizes the plane and disables various systems.

If it had been hijacked, why would they waste fuel flying out into the Indian Ocean or Zigzagging? They certainly weren't avoiding radar, since they have a track for them for quite a way.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/15/2014 2:15:21 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

To me, it sounds more and more like the Payne Stewart situation. Flies in random directions. Erratic changes in altitude. It sounds like the plane was unpiloted and depressurized. How it got that way I can only guess at, but I'm thinking that there may have been some catastrophic damage to the cockpit that kills the crew, de-pressurizes the plane and disables various systems.

If it had been hijacked, why would they waste fuel flying out into the Indian Ocean or Zigzagging? They certainly weren't avoiding radar, since they have a track for them for quite a way.
warspite1

What are you saying?!? Payne Stewart hijacked the plane? I bet Elvis was his co-hijacker....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/15/2014 4:51:27 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

What are you saying?!? Payne Stewart hijacked the plane? I bet Elvis was his co-hijacker....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Dakota_Learjet_crash

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/15/2014 5:58:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Dakota_Learjet_crash
warspite1

I know....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/15/2014 7:03:59 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Even if the plane exploded or break apart high in the air, they should find some debris on the water, some of it is floatation. Now its possible that it has been hi-jacked, look like the pilot or group planned this all along. So no contact? Seem that they manage to collect all cellphones at the right time before disappeared under the radar, in that case, they would have to fly very low altitude to avoid radar. There no telling where they went.

And if they're out of cell range?

As for flying at low altitude:

A 777's cruise altitude for best range performance varies from 30,000 at max weight, to about 43,000 at low weight...Fuel burn at cruise altitude is far less than at low altitude, and again, taking a moderately heavy weight airplane at normal cruise, a 777 burns about 8,000#/hr per engine, but that number drops to about 5,000#/hr per engine at low weights and optimum altitude.

In terms of nautical miles per pound of fuel, being at 5,000 feet gets you less than half the range of being at cruise. (this is a bit of an oversimplification, it depends on the airplane's weight, the temperature, and the airspeed flown, but it's close enough for our purposes here)...so, a 777 loaded with fuel for 4,000 miles likely can't go farther than 2,000 miles if flown at low altitude. Less if it was being flown at a high airspeed (which burns more fuel per mile).

There are so many variables, that I can only speak in generalities...but jet airplanes guzzle fuel when flown at low altitude. In fact, at idle, on the ground, they're often burning about half the fuel per minute that they burn when going 540 MPH in cruise...

That's from a 757/67 rated pilot on another forum

I agreed with you there too, like you said there are so many variables and possibilities.

As far as fuel, yes. But the bottom line is the lower you fly, the more fuel you burn

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/16/2014 5:38:59 AM   
Southernland

Found it!!

http://vietnam.craigslist.org/for/4372477162.html

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/16/2014 2:08:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Southern_land

Found it!!

http://vietnam.craigslist.org/for/4372477162.html

Now that's funny!

(in reply to Southernland)
Post #: 37
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/18/2014 4:41:29 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

"The satellite imagery company ************, which owns an advanced constellation of commercial satellites, is encouraging citizens to comb through satellite images in response to the disappearance of the plane.

******* today activated its crowdsourcing platform in an effort to locate the Boeing 777 jetliner that mysteriously disappeared on Saturday while in flight from Malaysia to Beijing. If you would like to volunteer your time to support the rescue mission, please visit ******* Tomnod platform to begin combing through satellite imagery for clues that may help locate the missing aircraft
"

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

Courtney Love thinks she’s found Malaysian plane – and posts images as ‘proof’

"Courtney Love has suggested a missing Malaysian plane may have crashed in the ocean and has even offered exact co-ordinates as to where it may be.

"The musician revealed the theory in a Facebook post earlier today, which came accompanied by a photo she had doctored that showed ‘oil’ and ‘a plane’ ...

"The original image was taken from Tomnod, a crowdsourcing tool that uses satellite images. The grab used by Love was listed as having been taken on March 12th."

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/17/courtney-love-thinks-shes-found-malaysian-plane-and-posts-images-to-facebook-as-proof-4626547/

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/18/2014 7:31:22 PM   
bayonetbrant

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/18/2014 8:02:26 PM   
danlongman

I am not an SME but that makes as much sense as anything. There are still some annoying loose ends.
The author knew what he was talking about. That puts him ahead of just about anybody. Still
just how many stolen passports are floating around that area anyway?

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to bayonetbrant)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/18/2014 9:38:23 PM   
Mobius

I did have a theory from the theme of Die Hard 1 movie. Instead of Japanese insert Chinese. Instead of Germans insert Uyghurs.
The problem is it's been over 10 days and no ransom message. It's hard for one or two people to keep 200+ captives alive so my theory is a little shakey now.

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/19/2014 3:44:43 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius

I did have a theory from the theme of Die Hard 1 movie. Instead of Japanese insert Chinese. Instead of Germans insert Uyghurs.
The problem is it's been over 10 days and no ransom message. It's hard for one or two people to keep 200+ captives alive so my theory is a little shakey now.

That was my idea too. All the more because it happened a few days after the Uyghurs were stabbing Chinese civilians at a trainstation. So I thought uhoh they highjacked a plane this time!
Then I got a glimmer of hope... say would it be possible to land that huge plane on a distant uninhabited island? Most likely not but you never know.
I don't know I fear that plane is really gone now and all lives are lost. A sad thing really, that Chinese woman crying out for her 40 year old son...heartbreaking really.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/24/2014 3:09:21 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well look like they found the plane, landed way off course in Indian Ocean. The question is why in hell its off course? Some say the pilot has mental problems and/or human errors. I doubt if the computer on board made a mistake, otherwise they would have know about it. So no cell phone contact, possible hi-jacked. Sadly to see those peoples on that plane didnt make it.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 43
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/24/2014 3:37:38 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Looks like it was Digital Globe (the guys who run this Tomnod thing) who found via their satellite/s the first debris [?] that were sent to the Australians.

No one should be bashed (pilot) until they found out what happened. To me it's a weird, freak accident until proven otherwise.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 44
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/24/2014 4:19:55 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well they havent gotten the blackbox, no telling if they will be able to find it. The depth range is pretty darn deep.

Post #: 45
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/24/2014 4:30:19 PM   
TulliusDetritus

It took two years to recover the blackbox of the Air France flight in the Atlantic (but they did it). Similar depths I guess: around 4.000 meters.

EDIT: well, not before a) these debris belong to the plane and b) they manage to find the spot where the plane crashed. The Air France plane was quite well located (debris and corpses found within the first two days).

I just hope I don't have to hear again about Diego Garcia and other conspiracies

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 3/24/2014 5:33:46 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/24/2014 4:41:54 PM   
gradenko2k

They haven't found it yet. The Malaysian authorities are just saying that it's pretty much guaranteed that all lives on that flight were lost regardless of the cause or their final resting place.

It took years for the Air France Flight' black box could be recovered and the root cause of the crash be discovered, but the world did know that it crashed within days, which is still more than we can say for this instance.

Post #: 47
RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help - 3/24/2014 7:01:42 PM   
Rising-Sun

Believe they said the depth in that areas is around 4k to 23k or more.

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI