Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ruhr

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Ruhr Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ruhr - 3/19/2014 8:10:04 AM   
Udet

IMO the German city "Ruhr" should be renamed. If I am right, there is a river "Ruhr" but no city with this name.

Udet
Post #: 1
RE: Ruhr - 3/20/2014 8:47:49 AM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Udet

IMO the German city "Ruhr" should be renamed. If I am right, there is a river "Ruhr" but no city with this name.

This can be renamed very easily.

Largest Cities

Dortmund
Essen
Duisburg
Bochum

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 3/20/2014 10:26:18 AM >

Make it so!

(in reply to Udet)
Post #: 2
RE: Ruhr - 3/20/2014 11:08:38 AM   
Fred Sanford

Speaking of cities, I'm kind of surprised that Cherbourg isn't on the map. Fairly major port, isn't it?

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 3
RE: Ruhr - 3/20/2014 1:37:18 PM   
Anguille

quote:

Ruhr is the name of the Region...

I agree, it could be replaced by a city of said region.

(in reply to Udet)
Post #: 4
RE: Ruhr - 3/21/2014 12:23:09 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fred Sanford

Speaking of cities, I'm kind of surprised that Cherbourg isn't on the map. Fairly major port, isn't it?

I'm all for adding new ports etc, but the question is where do you draw the line? Cherbourg could be added very easily.

Make it so!

(in reply to Fred Sanford)
Post #: 5
RE: Ruhr - 3/21/2014 12:24:44 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anguille

quote:

The question is what city to replace it with Dortmund?

Make it so!

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 6
RE: Ruhr - 3/21/2014 1:55:32 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anguille

quote:

The question is what city to replace it with Dortmund?

Ruhr

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the urban area. For the namesake river, see Ruhr (river). For other uses, see Ruhr (disambiguation).

Ruhr Metropolitan Region
Metropolregion Ruhr

Country
Germany

State

North Rhine-Westphalia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Largest Cities
Dortmund
Essen
Duisburg
Bochum

Government

Body
Regionalverband Ruhr

Area

• Metro
4,435 km2 (1,712 sq mi)

Population

• Metro

• Metro density
1,646/km2 (4,260/sq mi

Website
www.metropoleruhr.de

The Ruhr (German pronunciation: [ˈʁuːɐ̯], German: Ruhrgebiet), or the Ruhr district, Ruhr region or Ruhr valley, is an urban area in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.[a] With a population density of 2,800/km² and a population of some eight and a half million, it is the largest urban agglomeration in Germany. It consists of several large, industrial cities bordered by the rivers Ruhr to the south, Rhine to the west, and Lippe to the north. In the Southwest it borders the Bergisches Land. It is considered part of the larger Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region of more than 12 million people.

From west to east, the region includes the cities of Duisburg, Oberhausen, Bottrop, Mülheim an der Ruhr, Essen, Gelsenkirchen, Bochum, Herne, Hagen, Dortmund, and Hamm, as well as parts of the more "rural" districts of Wesel, Recklinghausen, Unna and Ennepe-Ruhr-Kreis. The most populous cities are Dortmund (approx. 572.000), Essen (approx. 566.000) and Duisburg (approx. 486.000). The Ruhr area doesn't have an administrative center; each city in the area has its own administration, although there exists the supracommunal "Regionalverband Ruhr" institution in Essen. Historically, the western Ruhr towns, such as Duisburg and Essen, belonged to the historic region of the Rhineland, whereas the eastern part of the Ruhr, including Gelsenkirchen, Bochum, Dortmund and Hamm, were part of the region of Westphalia. Since the 19th century, these districts have grown together into a large complex with a vast industrial landscape, inhabited by some 7.3 million people (including Düsseldorf and Wuppertal). This agglomeration is the fifth largest urban area in Europe after Istanbul, Moscow, London and Paris.

I think the Ruhr designation on the CTGW map is a fair to keep as is. The above large cities are close in population, plus they have the Regionalverband Ruhr that connects them together. When CTGW was first released the Ruhr had 9 points, which I felt was just and fair due to the importance of the region. OK, the Ruhr is not a city, but the location is important, worth defending.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 7
RE: Ruhr - 3/21/2014 2:11:54 PM   
Fred Sanford

I believe Krupp's main facilities were in Essen.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 8
RE: Ruhr - 3/21/2014 4:06:06 PM   
operating

If the city is not relocated, but renamed, it would have to be a city to the east side of the Ruhr river.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Fred Sanford)
Post #: 9
RE: Ruhr - 3/21/2014 5:21:48 PM   
Orm

Ruhr urban area should not have its name changed from Ruhr in my humble opinion.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 10
RE: Ruhr - 3/23/2014 8:42:50 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Ruhr urban area should not have its name changed from Ruhr in my humble opinion.

Ruhr urban area will remain,I have increased its PP to 9 to reflect the area's importance.

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 3/23/2014 10:09:43 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 11
RE: Ruhr - 3/24/2014 9:52:58 AM   
Udet

In the time the game is set there was no "Ruhrverband" or such modern things. Each city stood for it's own. "Duisburg", which became an important industrial center in the early 20th century, would have been a good name. In fact, a district of Duisburg is named '"Ruhrort" ("Ruhrtown"). If you stay with your - imo illogical - decision to name this city after a whole huge region, the correct name in German would be "Ruhrgebiet". "Ruhr" in German is the river, nothing else.

Just my two cents. I don't want to make a crusade out of it. However, as long as the A.I. is so terrible slow I will have no chance to play the game.

< Message edited by Udet -- 3/24/2014 2:31:52 PM >

Udet

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 12
RE: Ruhr - 3/24/2014 7:04:19 PM   
Tomokatu

Should the Ruhr District occupy more than one hex, perhaps - maybe with a unique graphic and a possible rearrangement of those rail connections?

Attachment (1)

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

(in reply to Udet)
Post #: 13
RE: Ruhr - 3/25/2014 8:28:48 AM   
Udet

Tomokatu, this is a very interesting idea. The Ruhrgebiet was an important industrial region, very important for the armaments industry.

Maybe there could be a special event punishing Germany when loosing the region partially or in the whole. An other event could give Germany more ammunition as long as the Germans have the whole region under control (I feel they need some more ammo desparately).

Udet

(in reply to Tomokatu)
Post #: 14
RE: Ruhr - 3/28/2014 4:47:08 AM   
Tomokatu

I'm not sure of how the gamescale works out in terms of the number of hexes to accurately represent The Ruhr Valley industrial complex, but I suggest that rather than a bonus for ammunition for holding all (both?) hexes the LOSS of one should be represented by the destruction of factory ability or the loss of research labs. They may be able to be re-built but the prod'n points cost to rebuild and the delay in research seems appropriate.

(in reply to Udet)
Post #: 15
RE: Ruhr - 3/28/2014 2:22:15 PM   
Udet

Maybe you are right, Tomokatu. I would be interested in what other players think about this - especially Kirk.

Udet

(in reply to Tomokatu)
Post #: 16
RE: Ruhr - 3/29/2014 11:20:08 AM   
kirk23

quote:

Maybe you are right, Tomokatu. I would be interested in what other players think about this - especially Kirk.

Hi Udet, I'm all for making the Ruhr area,a must hold position for the CP.I will take a look and see if the AI can be instructed to protect this vital area,I will also see if I can create some new in game event to highlight the fact.

Make it so!

(in reply to Udet)
Post #: 17
RE: Ruhr - 3/29/2014 1:18:58 PM   
Udet

These are good news, Kirk. I know you are very commited to make this game better. And I know there are many people like little Udet who have this idea ore that idea. It is really great that you are listening to all our hints, complaints and wishes. I hope we don't drive you mad some day!!!

Udet

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 18
RE: Ruhr - 3/29/2014 5:23:55 PM   
kirk23

quote:

These are good news, Kirk. I know you are very commited to make this game better. And I know there are many people like little Udet who have this idea ore that idea. It is really great that you are listening to all our hints, complaints and wishes. I hope we don't drive you mad some day!!!

To late I'm already nuts!

Make it so!

(in reply to Udet)
Post #: 19
RE: Ruhr - 3/29/2014 9:28:10 PM   
Connfire

What if certain hexes were dubbed city or urban hexes? Like this:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 20
RE: Ruhr - 3/30/2014 12:59:49 AM   
kirk23

I think that would just confuse the AI me thinks Rob.

Make it so!

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 21
RE: Ruhr - 3/30/2014 7:41:27 AM   
Orm

I seem to recall that the importance of Ruhr was decreased in a previous patch due to popular demand.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 22
RE: Ruhr - 3/31/2014 12:22:27 AM   
Tomokatu

quote:

I hope we don't drive you mad some day!!!

Please note, madness is no handicap to good game design.
If somebody's happy to spend hours when other folk are happily asleep, examining spreadsheets and making marginal adjustments to fractional values, then just keep feeding them and otherwise, don't interfere.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 23
RE: Ruhr - 3/31/2014 9:50:00 AM   
Udet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomokatu

quote:

I hope we don't drive you mad some day!!!

Please note, madness is no handicap to good game design.
If somebody's happy to spend hours when other folk are happily asleep, examining spreadsheets and making marginal adjustments to fractional values, then just keep feeding them and otherwise, don't interfere.

That ist a good point, Tomokatu!

Udet

(in reply to Tomokatu)
Post #: 24
RE: Ruhr - 4/1/2014 7:42:02 PM   
Tomokatu

Here, have a banana!

(in reply to Udet)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Ruhr Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI