Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AE Beta: Hot Key '5'

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AE Beta: Hot Key '5' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AE Beta: Hot Key '5' - 3/22/2014 12:14:40 AM   
Jones944

Can anyone figure this one out? If you select a base and press the '5' key, many hexes around the base will display a yellow dot in the middle. The description in the beta release notes is that a number should be displayed which would give an indication of the ability of the base to supply each hex, which would fall off as the distance from the selected base grows. That would make sense... but I don't really know what value the yellow dots are, and it seems as though the description in the beta release notes is way off the mark as I'm not seeing any numbers anywhere.

Anyone else have an insights? Looks to me as though the 5 key is available for re-use as the way it is now there is little to no value in it.

Thanks in advance!

"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"
Post #: 1
RE: AE Beta: Hot Key '5' - 3/22/2014 12:23:35 AM   
EHansen

It displays a number if playing against the computer. Only dots if it is a PBEM game.

38. Added Hot-key '5' will show the supply path from the selected base where the number
shows the lessening effect of supply. Changed to show the supply path as yellow dots in a
PBEM rather than actual supply numbers.

< Message edited by EHansen -- 3/22/2014 1:27:25 AM >

(in reply to Jones944)
Post #: 2
RE: AE Beta: Hot Key '5' - 3/22/2014 12:26:24 AM   
Jones944

quote:

ORIGINAL: EHansen

It displays a number if playing against the computer. Only dots if it is a PBEM game.

Huh... Any idea why PBEM doesn't enable the feature?

Thanks for the answer.

< Message edited by Jones944 -- 3/22/2014 1:26:45 AM >

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 3
RE: AE Beta: Hot Key '5' - 3/22/2014 12:27:57 AM   
EHansen

It provides too much information.

(in reply to Jones944)
Post #: 4
RE: AE Beta: Hot Key '5' - 3/22/2014 12:39:51 AM   
Alfred

Read this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3124843&mpage=1&key=supply%2Clength&#3127654

Alfred

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 5
RE: AE Beta: Hot Key '5' - 3/22/2014 12:43:00 AM   
Jones944

Many thanks Alfred!

< Message edited by Jones944 -- 3/22/2014 1:43:04 AM >

"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 6
RE: AE Beta: Hot Key '5' - 3/22/2014 12:57:54 AM   
Jones944

Copying text forward so that a forum search on "hot key 5" will link to these old threads.

Thanks again Alfred!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Its a shame they don't show up for PBEM games.... because I guess if you load up an AI game you can see them and then go back to your game.... which seems a silly thing to have to do, or am i missing something that is blindingly obvious.

Roger

Roger,

As you half guessed, there is a good reason why only dots show up in a PBEM game.

Read page 21 of this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2729580&mpage=21&key=supply%2Cmovement�

There are two very clear posts on that page which are particularly germane to the issues raised in this thread and you own question.

Post #612 shows the amount of supply moved out of Rangoon, oin the same turn, to 6 different bases. That post confirms Treespider's earlier post regarding the through movement of supplies. The max draw (750 in the OP screenshot) is the upper cap limit on how much supply a base can receive on any single day via automatic supply movement from all overland supply sources. Air dropped supply is an additional amount to this cap.

Post #624 is specifically on your question. Dots were used to prevent giving away free intel on enemy unit dispositions. If you saw a line of 97,94, 91, 88, 85, 82, 79 and then suddenly it went blank, it would be obvious that the supply path had been stopped by the presence of an enemy unit. Whereas if you simply see 7 dots and then nothing, it might just be the natural end of the supply path. Of course anyone who bothers to calculate for themselves the supply cost of terrain would be able to come to the right conclusion but as supply remains a mystery to most people, most people won't do the calculations themselves. This last patch enhancement is one of many which most people widely applauded but which I thought were quite unnecessary and have unintended consequences.

Alfred

(in reply to Jones944)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AE Beta: Hot Key '5' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI