Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Flag editing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Flag editing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Flag editing - 3/22/2014 7:59:46 PM   
Antarian

I am having a hell of a time making a new wmf file for a new race I am building. What are the techniques in working with this ancient and archaic file type? My wmf flag keeps displaying as having a white background in the flag dropdown, instead of filling with the chosen colour. I've attached it for reference.

Attachment (1)

"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.
Post #: 1
RE: Flag editing - 3/29/2014 6:22:07 PM   
Antarian

bump, any help here? what am I doing wrong with the wmf file? Anyone suggest a good editor that will keep the format intact on it? I've had to convert to jpeg, convert to pdf, then to wmf, nothing saves as wmf anymore, not even Adobe Photoshop, which is what I'm using.

"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.

(in reply to Antarian)
Post #: 2
RE: Flag editing - 3/30/2014 9:29:17 PM   
tjhkkr

I know you can view it with QuickTime. I have NEVER found software to edit it.
You might want to PM Elliot...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Antarian)
Post #: 3
RE: Flag editing - 3/30/2014 11:13:07 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

.wmf as in Window Meta Format?

IIRC, Powerpoint, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, or most anything that handles Vector graphics files.

Not sure if any of these are useful... WMF Editors

< Message edited by CyclopsSlayer -- 3/31/2014 12:14:39 AM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 4
RE: Flag editing - 3/31/2014 12:45:22 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

I use Paint Shop Pro 9, it can create / edit / load .WMF. I was under the impression though with Shadows that the format to use for flags was .PNG. Have a look in the images/ui/flagshapes folder.

Darkspire

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 5
RE: Flag editing - 4/1/2014 12:56:17 AM   
Antarian

MS Paint doesn't, I use Adobe Paintshop Pro, and I also have GIMP, neither will save as it, and both screw it up when you edit it.

I have created two images for my race, one is PNG format and a different flag image is the WMF. In the folder both files for each flag are still present. It's using the wmf.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 6
RE: Flag editing - 4/1/2014 1:28:39 AM   
Shark7

You will have to make a theme to get it to work. I strongly advise against replacing the default images.

Under shadows, I have my own theme for the minor changes I like, and I have a flagshapes folder with nothing but .PNG images in it (no .wmf at all).

The key to mine is that it was a full 1 for 1 replacement of the in game flags with a new theme, rather than trying to add additional flags. So I just replaced flags 0 through 40, rather than trying to add a flag_41 etc.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Antarian)
Post #: 7
RE: Flag editing - 4/1/2014 3:35:21 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
I have a flagshapes folder with nothing but .PNG images in it (no .wmf at all).

The application will accept PNG files for flags?
REALLY?
That is great. I have not played much with flags. But if this is true, I can make some nice changes... :)

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 8
RE: Flag editing - 4/2/2014 3:58:00 AM   
Antarian

Thanks for the tip, Shark, I will try that. I always assumed that because the custom folder had no flags file, I was forced to use the stock folder.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 9
RE: Flag editing - 4/2/2014 5:09:53 AM   
Shark7

No you shouldn't edit the stock folder in shadows TBH, and there is a certain way it has to be, so let me show you the hierarchy of it:

DW > Customization > Theme Name > flagshapes > Pirate (the pirate folder must be in here, even if all you do is copy/paste it from the default folder).

IF you simply copy/paste the flagshapes folder from the default images folder, then save your new flags in there (named properly of course) it may make things a bit easier.

It must be like that in shadows or they will fall back to the default (or cause a crash).

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Antarian)
Post #: 10
RE: Flag editing - 4/8/2014 8:39:16 PM   
historyis

I had access to PS, so I included both a .png and .wmf files when I did my flag mod. I have no idea if those .wmf files actually worked though.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Flag editing - 4/9/2014 3:42:29 PM   
Demonius

I created a custom alliance flag for the Mass Effect Mod using GIMP. Opened a previous existing flag, pasted the new Content, tweaked the size, worked.

(in reply to historyis)
Post #: 12
RE: Flag editing - 4/9/2014 9:42:16 PM   
tjhkkr

Was this a .wmf file or a .png file?

(in reply to Demonius)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Flag editing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI