Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Deciding to buy need inputs please?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Deciding to buy need inputs please? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 2:19:13 AM   
jmarzian

Being a noob to your forum and the game I was wanting to ask a few questions. I have read many of your AARs the last several days and have enjoyed them thoroughly(many hours of reading.) I see many old guards who play at a very high level. I myself would never be so good at this game to understand it to the level they do. Is it truely broken game or just has narrow paths early that lead to fatal mistakes. Is there going to be a WITE2 soon or is that on the wish list? Any and all inputs from the elite old quards and all players would be appreciated. I love WW2 and have read many books(over 300 i own in my house alone) about it. There are not too many current advances in society that do not have roots from that time period. So anyway, any inputs would be great before i decide to drop $110 for WITE and the two expansions. Thank you all in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 3:22:16 AM   
swkuh

Hadn't realized how expensive this game has become. Of course, the two expansions add up.

The main game itself is quite challenging and rewarding w/o the expansions. Myself, I bought "Lost Battles" expansion, but had the game for many years before getting going.

The game is not broken although the better players have their favorite "house rules" when doing H2H play. They make sense, too. If all you do is AI, the game is fine as is.

BTW, the latest official upgrade seems excellent and worth doing.

(in reply to jmarzian)
Post #: 2
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 3:38:50 AM   
jmarzian

Thank You rrbill. I have come up with another question, should I download and play the free Matrix addition of WITE? Would it give me any insights?

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 3
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 8:29:08 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmarzian

Being a noob to your forum and the game I was wanting to ask a few questions. I have read many of your AARs the last several days and have enjoyed them thoroughly(many hours of reading.) I see many old guards who play at a very high level. I myself would never be so good at this game to understand it to the level they do. Is it truely broken game or just has narrow paths early that lead to fatal mistakes. Is there going to be a WITE2 soon or is that on the wish list? Any and all inputs from the elite old quards and all players would be appreciated. I love WW2 and have read many books(over 300 i own in my house alone) about it. There are not too many current advances in society that do not have roots from that time period. So anyway, any inputs would be great before i decide to drop $110 for WITE and the two expansions. Thank you all in advance.

as rrbill says, ignore most of the noise,its a brilliant game, engrossing and deep. The complaints come from 2 sources - micro errors in the unit specification files (great that people are still finding these but rarely that dramatic) and the vexed question of balance.

The problem of balance is its a judgement. To some regulars, if the Germans can't take Moscow on T14 the game is unbalanced, if the Soviets form a semblance of a defense line in August 41 it is unbalanced. Others seem utterly convinced the game is biased to the axis side.

Morveal has done a brilliant job on the code, so the game is indeed in a great place and will get better when his next patch comes out. You have tools that can be used to gain balance in PBEM (and indeed against the AI), play around with the morale settings, logistic settings, transport settings (for one side or another). As an eg, if you lower the Soviet transport settings, you make it harder to evacuate the factories (less rail cap) so more decisions about how long to hold a given position, you also reduce the capacity in 42-44 for the Soviets to rail entire fronts around.

The .exe, is the same if you just buy the basic game or the expansions. I've had a lot of fun with the scenarios so would recommend going for the whole package. Expensive, but some of the mid/late game scenarios are very well balanced insights and real tussles. If you end up bored with the summer of 1941 its nice to start the war at a different point.

(in reply to jmarzian)
Post #: 4
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 12:25:38 PM   
heliodorus04

The combat engine has no basis in reality. That's gonna drive anyone nuts.

The community is made up of pro-Soviets that routinely bully people for disagreeing with them.

There is no legitimate reason to buy the expansions whatever. The campaign is the thing - the only game worth playing.

You're better off waiting for War in the West to come out than buy this game, which really was a paying beta test for a title that is at least two generations of product away.

Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 1:22:38 PM   
Zovs

Way back I created both tutorials, but due to production I had to wait on the big one. Its freely available and if you would like a copy of the PDF I create which may help you out let me know and I'll send you a dropbox link.

Hit my email.

Don

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to jmarzian)
Post #: 6
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 2:38:17 PM   
M60A3TTS

It's too bad we never got the Pelton vs. Flavius game played out on the forums as that promised to be educational and entertaining.
The game of the year now though would be Heliodorus vs. gameasaurus. It would be an intense competition arguing who's got the worse side.

< Message edited by M60A3TTS -- 3/27/2014 3:39:12 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 7
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 3:05:51 PM   
jmarzian

Thank you all for the inputs. Looks like i will be downoading today. Do the manuals come in a pdf with download, or do I wait for them to come in the mail?
From what AARs I have read. I agree, Pelton and Flavius would be a good one to see and follow.

< Message edited by jmarzian -- 3/27/2014 4:07:43 PM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 8
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 3:23:49 PM   
timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS
The game of the year now though would be Heliodorus vs. gameasaurus.

lol, that would be an awesome game, especially if they swapped sides.

To the O.P.
The game is very enjoyable and I would highly recommend it. There are problems though and to some extent you have to treat it as more of a game than a simulation. The combat engine, logistics, command and control and VP systems all need improving.

< Message edited by timmyab -- 3/27/2014 4:25:07 PM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 9
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 4:31:46 PM   
jmarzian

Thanks timmyab, I jus down loaded and updated. A question if i might. I read about the the .12 update, when I down loaded the game I used the update button, and it downloaded the .11. Must i update.12 manaully? Thanks again for all the responses.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 10
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 4:34:40 PM   
Schmart

If people know of a better game of similar scale and scope, with the same kind of development and support, I haven't heard of it. The game has weaknesses and shortcomings. It's not a perfect product and there are compromises. But we're also talking about a small niche market with limited resources. I'd say the game is intended more for grognards/historical wargamers than it is mainstream gamers. The game will only get better. The creators have further long-term development and improvement plans.

I play mostly vs AI and with the adjustable difficulty settings (meaning you can offset your own or some of the games shortcomings), and it gives me a rewarding game experience. If you've enjoyed past games like TOAW or War In Russia, then you'll likely have a positive experience with WITE.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 11
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 4:48:46 PM   
morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmarzian

Thanks timmyab, I jus down loaded and updated. A question if i might. I read about the the .12 update, when I down loaded the game I used the update button, and it downloaded the .11. Must i update.12 manaully? Thanks again for all the responses.

There is now a .14 beta installer, you don't have to install .11 first.

(in reply to jmarzian)
Post #: 12
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 4:58:17 PM   
jmarzian

Ok, so downloading this will fully update the game then. Will do, thank you Morvael. Just going to jum into the tutorial, then spend hours reading the manual.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 13
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 8:02:37 PM   
GamesaurusRex

@jmarzian :

From my admirers... I'll take my applause.

From my detractors... I'll take my lumps... too...

but as for the game... it IS very entertaining... warts and all. If you buy it, you will like it...

and then there is the great "Forum Wars" scenario that comes with it.

(in reply to jmarzian)
Post #: 14
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 3/27/2014 9:20:02 PM   
jmarzian

Thank GRex, i have it downloaded upgraded to .14 and have defeated the Red bear in the Tutorial. Now for much reading starting with the tutorial dlasov66 sent to me, then the massive manual, which I am sure will lead to much reading in the forums and probable many noob questions also.

(in reply to GamesaurusRex)
Post #: 15
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 4/4/2014 1:22:33 PM   
juret

Its a great game! I dont play other games after this. they are to easy and somply made. GGWE is very deep and very very challanging againt human opponent. And game lasts forever and realy gives value for price.

(in reply to jmarzian)
Post #: 16
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 4/4/2014 2:10:20 PM   
swkuh

@jmarzian... can't trust one who starts off claiming ignorance & profound obeisance to elite old guards BUT makes very sharp observation about "narrow paths leading to fatal mistakes... !" Think that's a very good characterization and perhaps explains why house rules apply.

BTW, Napoleon's elite old guards were pretty much dealt with at Waterloo... so...

Will appreciate your forum contributions....

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 17
RE: Deciding to buy need inputs please? - 4/9/2014 4:04:51 PM   
jmarzian

TY rrbill, hoping to get more time to play this game it is very deep. I am sure I will be asking a lot of quesiotns before I can add too much to already enjoyable forums.

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Deciding to buy need inputs please? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI