Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 12/16/2013 4:59:25 PM   
smokindave34

February 1944

Current armaments and production status:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 61
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 12/16/2013 6:31:37 PM   
loki100

nice collection of captured Soviet kit there. Recall reading somewhere that a captured KV1 ending up taking part of the defense of the West Wall in late 1944-5.

Post #: 62
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 12/16/2013 9:20:12 PM   
SigUp

Your lines are pretty good compared to history. If you can hold the Dnepr line till summer / autumn you are in a very good shape. Pools look good and the OOB is also quite sizeable.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 63
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 12/16/2013 11:12:02 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

Your lines are pretty good compared to history. If you can hold the Dnepr line till summer / autumn you are in a very good shape. Pools look good and the OOB is also quite sizeable.

I feel good about where my front lines are at. One concern I have is that I have NO fortifications to fall back on in the south. In the full campaigns I have played I always had time to build some defensive positions to the west although not having any forts is probably more realistic. This has been an enjoyable scenario so far.....

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 64
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 6:50:13 PM   
smokindave34

July 13, 1944

A summer update on my Stalingrad to Berlin scenario with Hfarrish. This continues to be a very enjoyable game (if you don't mind playing defense!) and I expect Berlin to fall close to the historical date. We are playing with random weather - I did receive a bad break in that the May/early June turns saw only 1 week of mud. That was a tough break which allowed the Soviets to continue to punish me especially in the south. Here is the OOB for 7/13/44. My army is still in decent shape and I continue to keep around 3.5 million men at the front.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/20/2014 7:51:56 PM >

Post #: 65
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 6:53:06 PM   
smokindave34

July 13, 1944

The production numbers. I still have quiet a few armaments points and have made a point in pulling back 2-3 divisions out of harms away each turn to refit and get troops to the front line.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/20/2014 7:53:35 PM >

Post #: 66
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 6:56:13 PM   
smokindave34

July 13, 1944

Finns

Hfarrish has recently (the last 4-5 turns) started pounding away at the Finns to force them to the negotiating table. My personnel opinion is that this is a mistake - I'd rather use those forces as the Soviet to hammer AGN and bleed German reinforcements. The Finns have been hanging tough but I expect they will only last another month or so. Any extra turns I can get out of them is a bonus.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 67
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 6:59:07 PM   
smokindave34

July 13, 1944

AGN

A fairly stable situation for AGN. I get pushed back on average one hex per turn but I'll take that as a small victory. Hfarrish has very few mobile units in this area so I don't risk any breakthroughs. I've moved most of my armor out of this area as well to the two "hot spots" I'm currently dealing with.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 68
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 7:05:21 PM   
smokindave34

July 13, 1944

AGC

A very interesting development in this area. Instead of forcing a crossing of the Dnepr, Hfarrish massed cavalry corps in the marshes to force his way through to Minsk. He has a rail line running through the marshes and has now backed up the Cavalry with Mechanized, Tank, and Guards rifle corps. Ferdinand Schorners 2nd Army (particularly the XXXXVIII Pz corps) has been taking a beating here but I am only slowly giving ground and overall I'm happy with the results. I've backed up the 2nd Army with a Luftwaffe field corps digging forts. A few more turns and Hfarrish is going to be into favorable terrain and the pace will pick up. Once the summer is over I'll ask Hfarrish is he thought it was a wise move going through the marshes....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/20/2014 8:06:28 PM >

Post #: 69
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 7:12:23 PM   
smokindave34

July 13, 1944

AGS Ukraine

Hfarrish main effort has been in the direction of the 17th army. He has massed all his mobile forces in this area and each turn I've had to use the XL and III panzer corps to extract some hapless infantry divisions out of possible encirclement. It appears the Hfarrish is going to bypass Rumania and is heading straight for Lvov and then on to the Reich. I've had a Luftwaffe field corps and the Hungarians diggings furiously in the Lvov area all summer and have a solid line of forts here. With that said I still think the best I can hope for is to delay him a few weeks in this area. In the next turn or two I'll have to split my forces to defend the Lvov area and Hungary/Rumania, the line will be too long to hold it with a continuous force.

I fallen back two hexes per turn (at least) here all summer but have decided this turn to hold the line since I have good terrain (rough) and forts behind the Dnestr. I'm sure Hfarrish will blast it open but I'm betting his mobile units are heading northwest and not into Rumania.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/20/2014 8:14:34 PM >

Post #: 70
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 7:17:32 PM   
smokindave34

July 13, 1944

AGN Ukraine (I know my north-south are backwards! At one point this made sense)

As stated earlier I'm going to hold the line on the Dnestr river this turn with 1st Panzer and 6th armies. I'll get pushed back for sure and will have to resume my retreat next turn but I don't see any major breakthroughs occurring. If Hfarrish sends his armor south next turn I could find myself in real trouble. I have not had any units captured yet this summer but the time is coming soon where it will be hard to prevent encirclements.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/20/2014 8:19:04 PM >

Post #: 71
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 9:11:21 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

July 13, 1944

Finns

Hfarrish has recently (the last 4-5 turns) started pounding away at the Finns to force them to the negotiating table. My personnel opinion is that this is a mistake - I'd rather use those forces as the Soviet to hammer AGN and bleed German reinforcements. The Finns have been hanging tough but I expect they will only last another month or so. Any extra turns I can get out of them is a bonus.

Hi there Smokin. I see you've learned to put a unit in Helsinki

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Post #: 72
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 9:14:52 PM   
sillyflower

duplicate

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/20/2014 10:15:15 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Post #: 73
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 9:18:03 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Not looking bad. You could find yourself beating history.

web exchange

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 74
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/20/2014 9:33:15 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

July 13, 1944

Finns

Hi there Smokin. I see you've learned to put a unit in Helsinki

Yes - ever since you dropped five vodka soaked Spetznas units into Helsinki and brought the whole Finnish government to it's knees I've learned my lesson and always keep a garrison there.

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/20/2014 10:34:10 PM >

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 75
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/21/2014 7:29:07 AM   
loki100

this remains a fascinating read - it is so different to what appears in the usual late game AARs.

Does look an interesting start point, but I guess the German player, as you say, really needs to be prepared for a long defense

Post #: 76
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/21/2014 10:17:34 AM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

this remains a fascinating read - it is so different to what appears in the usual late game AARs.

Does look an interesting start point, but I guess the German player, as you say, really needs to be prepared for a long defense

Thanks Loki100. Hfarrish and I picked this scenario since it appeared to be well balanced and took the 1941 seasons warts out of the equation. At the time I was frustrated by the fact that if I didn't have a near perfect turn 1 and 2 as the axis and use the Luftwaffe as a flying gas station that I would end up in a "no win" situation. Although I've come back to the grand campaign now that the reduced blizzard rules are optional I would still recommend this scenario to WITE players. It's been very competitive from the start but as I said earlier you have to enjoy playing defensively if your going to play as the axis in this one (which I do immensely!). There are no panzer drives in this scenario however it's still enjoyable to smash any Soviets who get a bit too far ahead of the infantry!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 77
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/21/2014 2:21:11 PM   
swkuh

Enjoy this AAR and happy to see its still active (or, maybe I've missed some posts.) Versus AI, Axis must play the best defensive strat & tactic as you do. AI has taught me that gambles with Axis mobile troops are punished. And most gambles aren't worth the distraction. For me its all about terrain, forts, reserves.

A question, are you sure that using Manstein at OKW is best? (I usually leave Zeitzler assigned, as I like the best commanders at AG and Armee levels.) Great game for defensive play.

Post #: 78
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/21/2014 9:12:34 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Enjoy this AAR and happy to see its still active (or, maybe I've missed some posts.) Versus AI, Axis must play the best defensive strat & tactic as you do. AI has taught me that gambles with Axis mobile troops are punished. And most gambles aren't worth the distraction. For me its all about terrain, forts, reserves.

A question, are you sure that using Manstein at OKW is best? (I usually leave Zeitzler assigned, as I like the best commanders at AG and Armee levels.) Great game for defensive play.

I placed Von Manstein in OKH early on so I could use his high initiative to get the most activations out of my reserves. I've been on the wrong side of countless reserve activations by the Soviets with Zhukov in STAVKA so I thought I'd try the same strategy on the Soviets (although I have a lot fewer units than my Russian opponents).

A question for you rrbill - I was always skeptical of playing on defense against the AI as I wasn't sure how well the AI was at attacking - what has been your experience?

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 79
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 1/22/2014 12:24:28 PM   
swkuh

AI misses mistakes I make. It gets to exposed pieces but doesn't close the deal; I can recover. It allows some of my weak encirclements. But not always, it seems. I trim Axis "balance" factors for forts, logistics, and transportation to 90 to get interesting games. One thing about AI is that one doesn't wait for the next turn, and alternative tactics are easy to test. Lower Axis morale enough (90) and AI is brutal on attack.

Post #: 80
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 4/7/2014 8:17:08 PM   
smokindave34

Mid January 1945

Haven't posted in a long while but Hfarrish and I are about near the end of our war. At this point I think I can hold out until the historical date unless he gets some good rolls during the "mud" turns in April/May. We are playing with random weather so if he gets a few extra clear turns he could make some solid progress. Here is the current OOB....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 81
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 4/7/2014 8:18:53 PM   
smokindave34

Mid January 1945

And the production numbers. I've been disbanding anything I can spare to get men in the pool. My armaments are in good enough shape where I have been able to refit divisions for a few turns and get their TOE back up near 90%.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 4/7/2014 9:20:44 PM >

Post #: 82
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 4/7/2014 8:23:29 PM   
smokindave34

Mid January 1945

AGN

Konigsberg will fall in the next few weeks. Nothing too crazy going on here, the Soviets just keep grinding away one to two hexes per turn. I had built some decent forts all along the front but in a week or two I'll be pushed out and the Soviet progress will pick up significantly. With the front shortened I've kept my infantry on the front lines and my armor/mech in reserve. I believe (hope) this has forced Hfarrish to use excess units in his attacks and slow his progress a bit. I've been on the other end of this strategy in summer '41 as the axis with waves of Soviet reserves - very annoying!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 4/7/2014 9:24:14 PM >

Post #: 83
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 4/7/2014 8:27:03 PM   
smokindave34

Mid January 1945

AGC

I'm closer to the end of my forts in the center of the front. I'll be out of most of my level 2 forts next turn and here is a lot of clear terrain between Warsaw and Berlin. Only the weather will be slowing down Ivan now! That blob of Soviet mech/armor units near Warsaw will be moving quickly in a few more turns.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 4/7/2014 9:28:30 PM >

Post #: 84
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 4/7/2014 8:29:45 PM   
smokindave34

Mid January 1945

AGN Ukraine/AGS Ukraine

Hfarrish has been using mobile units in the mountains south of Krakow to try and outflank me. The 2nd Panzer army arrived this turn and I cobbled together some infantry units to try and react to this move. Those cavalry corps just to the east of Krakow make me nervous - if they break through I may end up with a corps or more from 1st Panzer army isolated in the mountains. I'll have to be careful here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 4/7/2014 9:32:06 PM >

Post #: 85
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 4/7/2014 8:35:12 PM   
smokindave34

Mid January 1945

Hungary

My Hungarian allies surrendered two weeks ago. The Soviets have committed a lot of mobile units here and the front has not been stable for about 6 weeks. I had the Hungarians digging forts in the rough hexes west of Budapest but these will soon be gone (it was a thin line to begin with). I'm going to have to fall back to the Vienna/Bratislava area where LVII corps is digging forts in the clear terrain between these two cities. Although the front has been moving quickly here Hfarrish has commented that his truck pool is low and he believes this is due to his mobile units in this area being far from their railheads.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 86
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 4/7/2014 8:37:05 PM   
smokindave34

Mid January 1945

Finally an overall view of the entire front.......

I started digging forts in the Berlin area and along the Oder - hopefully when Hugh gets to the Oder it won't be frozen!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 87
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 4/8/2014 6:55:40 AM   
loki100

remarkably realistic front line

as the Axis player how have you found effectively being on the defense the entire game?

Post #: 88
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 4/8/2014 12:07:11 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

remarkably realistic front line

as the Axis player how have you found effectively being on the defense the entire game?

I don't think playing this scenario as the axis would suit everyone's tastes. We've been playing this game since August and I haven't had one major offensive in all that time! A few "operations" here and there in the summer of '43 but that was about it for my offensive capabilities. You have to like playing defense to enjoy this one as the axis. With that said I have enjoyed this game quite a bit. It has been well balanced from the start and the ending will be close to historical which I've always wanted from this game. Although our capabilities as players have influenced the outcome of the game we have not been able to throw the balance so far out of whack that the game is over in '41/42.

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 4/8/2014 1:08:10 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 89
RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) - 4/8/2014 12:17:05 PM   
swkuh

Depending on your loyalties, the OKH or Stavka award for strategic excellence is available to be picked up at the post office.

Enjoy this scenario myself. Seems a good simulation of situation and outcomes in WWII East.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalingrad to Berlin (No Hfarrish) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI